|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
2. How did Stesichorus receive his disability?
(a) He was caught in a horrible storm.
(b) He ignored the truth in his poems.
(c) He offended the gods.
(d) He was punished for a crime.
3. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
4. What does Socrates say he is addicted to at the beginning of the book?
(a) Hearing new ideas.
(d) Engaging discussions.
5. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
6. How does Socrates feel about all the sites that Phaedras takes him to?
(a) He is happy with them.
(b) He is enchanted.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He is nonplussed.
7. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
8. What does Phaedras appreciate about Socrates's statement about relationships?
(a) The logic.
(b) The controversial nature.
(c) The language.
(d) The honesty.
9. How does Socrates view the expression Lysias's speech?
10. Why did Socrates realize he made the speech to Phadras?
(a) To feed his own ego.
(b) For the sake of applause.
(c) For the advance of mankind.
(d) In the search for truth.
11. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
(a) Annointing the past.
(b) Striving for perfection.
(c) Creating a future.
(d) Redeeming the dead.
12. Who took a nymph from the stream of Illissus?
13. What is the Recantation?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A poem.
(c) A book.
(d) A song.
14. How does Socrates feel about Eros?
(a) He loves him.
(b) He fears him.
(c) He respects him.
(d) He hates him.
15. What does Socrates say causes passion between lovers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What trait does Socrates say most lovers want to see in their partners?
2. What is another name for the Delphic women?
3. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
4. What facilitated the achievements of the Delphic women?
5. What must be linked in order for someone to predict the future?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)