|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Socrates embarrassed about when he begins his speech to Phaedras?
(a) Discussing a sensitive subject.
(b) None of these.
(c) Competing with Lysias.
(d) Revealing information about himself.
2. What does Socrates say is addicting at the plane tree by the river?
(a) The sounds.
(b) The fragrance.
(c) The beauty.
(d) The peace.
3. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
(a) Choosing rich partners.
(b) Choosing healthy partners.
(c) Choosing attractive partners.
(d) Choosing older partners.
4. What must be linked in order for someone to predict the future?
(a) The truth and the past.
(b) The perfect and divine.
(c) The needs and the wants.
(d) The future and the past.
5. What trait does Socrates say most lovers want to see in their partners?
6. How does Socrates view the expression Lysias's speech?
7. What does Socrates say causes passion between lovers?
8. What do Socrates and Phaedras talk about when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
(a) A speech.
(d) A popular book.
9. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
10. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
11. Who made good predictions when insane?
12. What does Socrates say love is deprived of at the end of his speech?
(b) All of these.
13. What is Acumenus's occupation?
14. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
15. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
(a) A small girl.
(b) A married woman.
(c) A small boy.
(d) A cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
2. What does Socrates define in his speech to Phaedras?
3. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds like?
4. What does lack of control in desires lead to according to Socrates?
5. What does Phaedras doubt he can do while walking with Socrates?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)