|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Delphic motto?
(a) Trust all.
(b) Do no harm.
(c) Be learned and humble.
(d) Know theyself.
2. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds like?
(a) Things that agree with them.
(b) Things that help their relationship.
(c) Things that remind them of their lover.
(d) Things that please their lover.
3. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
(a) It is beneficial.
(b) It is common.
(c) All of these
(d) It is necessary.
4. What disability did Stesichorus have?
(a) He was schizophrenic.
(b) He was deaf.
(c) He was blind.
(d) He had one leg.
5. What does Socrates think the only reason to make a speech should be?
(a) For the advance of mankind.
(b) To the search for truth.
(c) For the sake of applause.
(d) To feed one's own ego.
6. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
(a) They present a harmed image.
(b) They present a bad image.
(c) They sequester themselves.
(d) They act that way.
7. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds dislike?
(a) Thins that help their relationship.
(b) Things that are superior to them.
(c) Things that surprise them.
(d) Things that don't involve them.
8. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
(a) A married woman.
(b) A cousin.
(c) A small girl.
(d) A small boy.
9. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
(a) To give entertaining speeches.
(b) To keep his mind balanced.
(c) To give correct speeches.
(d) To keep the gods' happy.
10. How did Stesichorus receive his disability?
(a) He ignored the truth in his poems.
(b) He was caught in a horrible storm.
(c) He offended the gods.
(d) He was punished for a crime.
11. What does Socrates say guides desire?
(a) Nature and heredity.
(b) Happiness and torture.
(c) Reason and emotion.
(d) Stability and progress.
12. Who does Socrates say inspired his second speech?
13. Who is Eros's mother?
14. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
15. What does Socrates say must be arranged correctly in a good speech?
(a) The language.
(b) The subject.
(c) The rise and fall.
(d) The points.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates feel about Lysias's statement about prudent relationships?
2. What facilitated the achievements of the Delphic women?
3. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
4. What trait does Socrates say most lovers want to see in their partners?
5. What does Socrates call the force of an uncontrolled desire for love?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)