|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates view the expression Lysias's speech?
2. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
3. Who took a nymph from the stream of Illissus?
4. Who made good predictions when insane?
5. What disability did Stesichorus have?
(a) He was schizophrenic.
(b) He was blind.
(c) He had one leg.
(d) He was deaf.
6. How would gods make love divine?
(a) By participating in it themselves.
(b) By showing the right process.
(c) All of these.
(d) By blessing relationships.
7. What does Socrates say must be arranged correctly in a good speech?
(a) The points.
(b) The subject.
(c) The language.
(d) The rise and fall.
8. What does Socrates think the only reason to make a speech should be?
(a) For the advance of mankind.
(b) For the sake of applause.
(c) To feed one's own ego.
(d) To the search for truth.
9. What trait does Socrates say most lovers want to see in their partners?
10. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
11. What becomes contradictory if one is not well versed in a subject of a speech according to Socrates?
12. What is another name for the Delphic women?
(a) Dobono's women.
(b) Dodona's women.
(c) Daphne's women.
(d) David's women.
13. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
(a) The Gatherer.
(b) The Virgin.
(c) The Star Maker.
(d) The Huntress.
14. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
(a) Competition with Lysias.
(b) Phaedras's threat.
(c) All of these.
(d) The need to teach.
15. What do Socrates and Phaedras talk about when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
(a) A speech.
(c) A popular book.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
2. How does Socrates feel about all the sites that Phaedras takes him to?
3. What does Socrates say guides desire?
4. What kind of art was well liked in Socrates's time?
5. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)