|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Stesichorus receive his disability?
(a) He ignored the truth in his poems.
(b) He was punished for a crime.
(c) He offended the gods.
(d) He was caught in a horrible storm.
2. What facilitated the achievements of the Delphic women?
3. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
(a) It would be too long.
(b) It would be redundant.
(c) It would be hard for him.
(d) It would offend people.
4. What does Socrates think the only reason to make a speech should be?
(a) For the sake of applause.
(b) To the search for truth.
(c) For the advance of mankind.
(d) To feed one's own ego.
5. Who is Eros's mother?
6. What does Socrates think people need to have sympathy towards?
(a) The uneducated.
(b) The elderly.
(d) All of these.
7. What does Phedras want from Socrates when he threatens him?
(a) To keep quiet about the speech he read.
(b) To give a speech of his own.
(c) To be kind ot Lysias.
(d) To come to dinner.
8. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
(a) They are more conducive to learning.
(b) All of these.
(c) They are less patient.
(d) They are better prepared.
9. What kind of art was well liked in Socrates's time?
(a) Manic Art.
(b) Concrete Art.
(c) Stoic Art.
(d) Impressionistic Art.
10. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
(a) Loving relationships.
(b) Homosexual relationships.
(c) Non-loving relationships.
(d) Moderated relationships.
11. What is Phaedras most concerned about with the speech he reads to Socrates?
(a) The form.
(b) The feeling.
(c) The subject.
(d) The language.
12. What does Phaedras threaten Socrates with?
(a) To take credit for his speech.
(b) To end their friendship.
(c) Never to walk with him again.
(d) Never to give another speech.
13. What is Acumenus's occupation?
14. What is the Recantation?
(a) A song.
(b) A poem.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A book.
15. What is more worthwhile to Socrates than opinions?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Socrates and Phaedras talk about when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Phaedras appreciate about Socrates's statement about relationships?
3. How does Socrates view the expression Lysias's speech?
4. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
5. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds dislike?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)