|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes contradictory if one is not well versed in a subject of a speech according to Socrates?
2. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
(a) Competition with Lysias.
(b) All of these.
(c) The need to teach.
(d) Phaedras's threat.
3. Who made good predictions when insane?
4. What trait does Socrates say most lovers want to see in their partners?
5. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
6. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
(a) They act that way.
(b) They sequester themselves.
(c) They present a harmed image.
(d) They present a bad image.
7. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
(a) It would be too long.
(b) It would be redundant.
(c) It would be hard for him.
(d) It would offend people.
8. What does Socrates want in a place to hear the speech?
(a) Some shade and a chair.
(b) A tree and a breeze.
(c) Birds and sun.
(d) A rock and some water.
9. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
(a) Their lovers.
(c) Their image.
(d) Their privacy.
10. What does Socrates think people need to have sympathy towards?
(b) The elderly.
(c) The uneducated.
(d) All of these.
11. Who is Eros's mother?
12. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
(a) The Gatherer.
(b) The Star Maker.
(c) The Huntress.
(d) The Virgin.
13. What does Lysias say lovers regret?
(a) Their kindness.
(b) All of these.
(c) Their assumptions.
(d) Their selfishness.
14. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
(a) A married woman.
(b) A small girl.
(c) A cousin.
(d) A small boy.
15. What do Socrates and Phaedras talk about when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
(a) A speech.
(b) A popular book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
2. How does Socrates feel about Lysias's statement about prudent relationships?
3. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
4. What does Phaedras think Socrates needs to add to his speech?
5. What is Lysias's occupation?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)