|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
2. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
(a) A small girl.
(b) A small boy.
(c) A married woman.
(d) A cousin.
3. Who made good predictions when insane?
4. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
(b) Their privacy.
(c) Their image.
(d) Their lovers.
5. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
(a) Moderated relationships.
(b) Loving relationships.
(c) Non-loving relationships.
(d) Homosexual relationships.
6. What is Acumenus's occupation?
7. What does Socrates think people need to have sympathy towards?
(a) All of these.
(b) The elderly.
(c) The uneducated.
8. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
(a) Love and kindness.
(d) The advancement of all partners.
9. What is the Delphic motto?
(a) Know theyself.
(b) Be learned and humble.
(c) Do no harm.
(d) Trust all.
10. How does Socrates feel about Eros?
(a) He respects him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He fears him.
(d) He hates him.
11. What is Lysias's occupation?
12. What does Socrates say people overcome by the desire to love spend their time doing?
(a) Pleasing the one they love.
(b) Pleasing themselves.
(c) Fulfilling personal gratification.
(d) Feeding sexual desires.
13. What does Lysias say the most rewarding relationship consists of?
(a) Two lovers.
(b) Two non lovers.
(c) A lover and a non lover.
(d) A woman and a man.
14. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A river.
(c) A lake.
(d) A common road.
15. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras appreciate about Socrates's statement about relationships?
2. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
3. What does Socrates say love is deprived of at the end of his speech?
4. What does Socrates say about insanity in his second speech?
5. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)