|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would gods make love divine?
(a) By participating in it themselves.
(b) All of these.
(c) By showing the right process.
(d) By blessing relationships.
2. What does Socrates say love is deprived of at the end of his speech?
(d) All of these.
3. What does lack of control in desires lead to according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say brings lovers the most satisfaction in their relationships?
(a) Being praised.
(b) Having someone to praise.
(c) Having someone to depend on.
(d) Being depended on.
5. Why did Socrates realize he made the speech to Phadras?
(a) To feed his own ego.
(b) In the search for truth.
(c) For the advance of mankind.
(d) For the sake of applause.
6. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
(a) To keep the gods' happy.
(b) To give entertaining speeches.
(c) To give correct speeches.
(d) To keep his mind balanced.
7. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
(a) The Huntress.
(b) The Virgin.
(c) The Gatherer.
(d) The Star Maker.
8. How does Socrates view the expression Lysias's speech?
9. What does Socrates say one must do when dealing with a subject in a speech?
(a) All of these.
(b) Ponder the subject.
(c) Write about the subject.
(d) Know the subject.
10. What does Socrates call the force of an uncontrolled desire for love?
11. What kind of art was well liked in Socrates's time?
(a) Impressionistic Art.
(b) Manic Art.
(c) Concrete Art.
(d) Stoic Art.
12. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
(a) All of these
(b) It is beneficial.
(c) It is necessary.
(d) It is common.
13. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
(a) Choosing healthy partners.
(b) Choosing older partners.
(c) Choosing rich partners.
(d) Choosing attractive partners.
14. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
15. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
(b) The advancement of all partners.
(d) Love and kindness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Phaedras threaten Socrates with?
3. What becomes contradictory if one is not well versed in a subject of a speech according to Socrates?
4. What is Acumenus's occupation?
5. What is another name for the Delphic women?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)