|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lysias say lovers regret?
(a) Their selfishness.
(b) All of these.
(c) Their assumptions.
(d) Their kindness.
2. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
(a) Homosexual relationships.
(b) Moderated relationships.
(c) Non-loving relationships.
(d) Loving relationships.
3. What does Socrates say people overcome by the desire to love spend their time doing?
(a) Pleasing themselves.
(b) Pleasing the one they love.
(c) Feeding sexual desires.
(d) Fulfilling personal gratification.
4. What subject does Socrates say is the most pertinent?
(a) Study of oneself.
(b) Study in agriculture.
(c) Study of language.
(d) Study of history.
5. Why did Socrates realize he made the speech to Phadras?
(a) To feed his own ego.
(b) For the sake of applause.
(c) For the advance of mankind.
(d) In the search for truth.
6. What is Lysias's occupation?
7. How does Socrates feel about Eros?
(a) He respects him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He fears him.
(d) He hates him.
8. What does Socrates like most about the speech read by Phaedras?
(a) The form.
(b) The language.
(c) The subject.
(d) The feeling.
9. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
(a) Their image.
(c) Their lovers.
(d) Their privacy.
10. What does Socrates say about insanity in his second speech?
(a) It is pleasant.
(b) It is natural.
(c) It is god-like.
(d) It is common.
11. Who made good predictions when insane?
12. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
13. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
14. What is another name for the Delphic women?
(a) Dodona's women.
(b) Dobono's women.
(c) Daphne's women.
(d) David's women.
15. What does Socrates say love is deprived of at the end of his speech?
(a) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Socrates say inspired his second speech?
2. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
3. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
4. What does Socrates say one must do when dealing with a subject in a speech?
5. What is the Delphic motto?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)