|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lysias's occupation?
2. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
3. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
(b) Their lovers.
(c) Their privacy.
(d) Their image.
4. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
5. Who made good predictions when insane?
6. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds dislike?
(a) Things that are superior to them.
(b) Thins that help their relationship.
(c) Things that don't involve them.
(d) Things that surprise them.
7. Who does Socrates say inspired his second speech?
8. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
(a) They present a harmed image.
(b) They act that way.
(c) They sequester themselves.
(d) They present a bad image.
9. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
(a) It would be hard for him.
(b) It would be too long.
(c) It would offend people.
(d) It would be redundant.
10. What does Socrates like most about the speech read by Phaedras?
(a) The feeling.
(b) The subject.
(c) The form.
(d) The language.
11. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
12. What does Socrates say lies in desire?
13. What does Socrates think the only reason to make a speech should be?
(a) For the sake of applause.
(b) To the search for truth.
(c) To feed one's own ego.
(d) For the advance of mankind.
14. What does Lysias say the most rewarding relationship consists of?
(a) Two non lovers.
(b) Two lovers.
(c) A woman and a man.
(d) A lover and a non lover.
15. What does Socrates say about insanity in his second speech?
(a) It is natural.
(b) It is god-like.
(c) It is common.
(d) It is pleasant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say people overcome by the desire to love spend their time doing?
2. What disability did Stesichorus have?
3. What does Phaedras threaten Socrates with?
4. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
5. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)