|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds like?
(a) Things that agree with them.
(b) Things that remind them of their lover.
(c) Things that please their lover.
(d) Things that help their relationship.
2. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
(a) To give entertaining speeches.
(b) To give correct speeches.
(c) To keep his mind balanced.
(d) To keep the gods' happy.
3. What is the Delphic motto?
(a) Trust all.
(b) Do no harm.
(c) Be learned and humble.
(d) Know theyself.
4. What is Acumenus's occupation?
5. How does Socrates feel about Lysias's statement about prudent relationships?
(a) He is skeptical.
(b) He is amused.
(c) He is in full agreement.
(d) He thinks it is rediculous.
6. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
7. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
(a) A cousin.
(b) A small boy.
(c) A small girl.
(d) A married woman.
8. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
(a) They present a harmed image.
(b) They present a bad image.
(c) They sequester themselves.
(d) They act that way.
9. What is Socrates embarrassed about when he begins his speech to Phaedras?
(a) Competing with Lysias.
(b) Revealing information about himself.
(c) Discussing a sensitive subject.
(d) None of these.
10. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
(a) A common road.
(b) A river.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A lake.
11. Where did Lysias visit with Epicrates?
(a) Morianican Delta.
(b) Moruchia House.
(c) Moroccon Place.
(d) Monchuca Villa.
12. What is Phaedras most concerned about with the speech he reads to Socrates?
(a) The language.
(b) The form.
(c) The feeling.
(d) The subject.
13. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
(a) Their lovers.
(b) Their privacy.
(d) Their image.
14. What does Socrates say he is addicted to at the beginning of the book?
(b) Hearing new ideas.
(c) Engaging discussions.
15. What does Socrates say people overcome by the desire to love spend their time doing?
(a) Pleasing the one they love.
(b) Fulfilling personal gratification.
(c) Feeding sexual desires.
(d) Pleasing themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of things does Socrates say lovers will do to slow down their partner?
2. What does Socrates say love is deprived of at the end of his speech?
3. What does Socrates say about insanity in his second speech?
4. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
5. Who took a nymph from the stream of Illissus?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)