|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
2. How did Stesichorus receive his disability?
(a) He was punished for a crime.
(b) He offended the gods.
(c) He ignored the truth in his poems.
(d) He was caught in a horrible storm.
3. What does Socrates say must be arranged correctly in a good speech?
(a) The rise and fall.
(b) The points.
(c) The language.
(d) The subject.
4. How would gods make love divine?
(a) All of these.
(b) By participating in it themselves.
(c) By showing the right process.
(d) By blessing relationships.
5. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
(a) Creating a future.
(b) Redeeming the dead.
(c) Striving for perfection.
(d) Annointing the past.
6. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
(a) A lake.
(b) A river.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A common road.
7. What kind of things does Socrates say lovers will do to slow down their partner?
(c) All of these.
(d) Past knowledge.
8. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
9. What does Phedras want from Socrates when he threatens him?
(a) To come to dinner.
(b) To give a speech of his own.
(c) To keep quiet about the speech he read.
(d) To be kind ot Lysias.
10. What is Acumenus's occupation?
11. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
(a) The need to teach.
(b) Phaedras's threat.
(c) Competition with Lysias.
(d) All of these.
12. What does Phaedras appreciate about Socrates's statement about relationships?
(a) The logic.
(b) The language.
(c) The honesty.
(d) The controversial nature.
13. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
(a) They present a bad image.
(b) They sequester themselves.
(c) They present a harmed image.
(d) They act that way.
14. What does Socrates say wrong speeches can lead to?
(c) Wrong actions.
15. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
(a) Homosexual relationships.
(b) Loving relationships.
(c) Non-loving relationships.
(d) Moderated relationships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates like most about the speech read by Phaedras?
2. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
3. What does Socrates define in his speech to Phaedras?
4. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds like?
5. What is the Delphic motto?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)