|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say one must do when dealing with a subject in a speech?
(a) Ponder the subject.
(b) Write about the subject.
(c) All of these.
(d) Know the subject.
2. What becomes contradictory if one is not well versed in a subject of a speech according to Socrates?
3. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
(a) Non-loving relationships.
(b) Moderated relationships.
(c) Homosexual relationships.
(d) Loving relationships.
4. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
(a) It is common.
(b) All of these
(c) It is necessary.
(d) It is beneficial.
5. What does Phaedras doubt he can do while walking with Socrates?
(a) Change Socrates's mind.
(b) Give proper credit to Lysias.
(c) Give a good speech.
(d) Present the right ideas.
6. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
(b) Love and kindness.
(c) The advancement of all partners.
7. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
8. What does lack of control in desires lead to according to Socrates?
9. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
(a) Phaedras's threat.
(b) All of these.
(c) Competition with Lysias.
(d) The need to teach.
10. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
(a) Creating a future.
(b) Annointing the past.
(c) Striving for perfection.
(d) Redeeming the dead.
11. What does Socrates say wrong speeches can lead to?
(a) Wrong actions.
12. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
(a) It would be hard for him.
(b) It would be redundant.
(c) It would be too long.
(d) It would offend people.
13. What kind of things does Socrates say lovers will do to slow down their partner?
(a) All of these.
(b) Past knowledge.
14. What does Socrates say he is addicted to at the beginning of the book?
(a) Engaging discussions.
(c) Hearing new ideas.
15. What does Socrates say guides desire?
(a) Happiness and torture.
(b) Reason and emotion.
(c) Stability and progress.
(d) Nature and heredity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
2. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
3. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
4. Which of the following does Socrates say mania can deliver?
5. What does Socrates like most about the speech read by Phaedras?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)