|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
(a) Their privacy.
(b) Their image.
(d) Their lovers.
2. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
(a) The Star Maker.
(b) The Gatherer.
(c) The Huntress.
(d) The Virgin.
3. What does Socrates say lies in desire?
4. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
(a) They present a harmed image.
(b) They sequester themselves.
(c) They present a bad image.
(d) They act that way.
5. What is Socrates embarrassed about when he begins his speech to Phaedras?
(a) Competing with Lysias.
(b) None of these.
(c) Revealing information about himself.
(d) Discussing a sensitive subject.
6. How does Socrates say Phaedras delivered the speech?
7. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
(a) It would offend people.
(b) It would be too long.
(c) It would be redundant.
(d) It would be hard for him.
8. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
(a) A river.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A lake.
(d) A common road.
9. What does lack of control in desires lead to according to Socrates?
10. What does Socrates say wrong speeches can lead to?
(c) Wrong actions.
11. What does Socrates define in his speech to Phaedras?
(a) The need for poems.
(b) The influence of love.
(c) The role of language.
(d) The proper relationship.
12. What does Socrates say brings lovers the most satisfaction in their relationships?
(a) Being praised.
(b) Having someone to depend on.
(c) Being depended on.
(d) Having someone to praise.
13. What does Phaedras doubt he can do while walking with Socrates?
(a) Give proper credit to Lysias.
(b) Give a good speech.
(c) Present the right ideas.
(d) Change Socrates's mind.
14. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
15. What does Phaedras promise to do if Socrates can change his mind?
(a) Spread the word.
(b) End his relationship.
(c) Convince Lysias.
(d) Write his own speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
2. What does Socrates call the force of an uncontrolled desire for love?
3. What does Phaedras think Socrates needs to add to his speech?
4. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
5. What does Socrates like most about the speech read by Phaedras?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)