|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say people overcome by the desire to love spend their time doing?
(a) Pleasing themselves.
(b) Pleasing the one they love.
(c) Fulfilling personal gratification.
(d) Feeding sexual desires.
2. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
(a) Their image.
(b) Their privacy.
(d) Their lovers.
3. What does Socrates say must be arranged correctly in a good speech?
(a) The subject.
(b) The points.
(c) The language.
(d) The rise and fall.
4. What is Phaedras most concerned about with the speech he reads to Socrates?
(a) The feeling.
(b) The subject.
(c) The form.
(d) The language.
5. What is Lysias's occupation?
6. What does Socrates say guides desire?
(a) Happiness and torture.
(b) Stability and progress.
(c) Nature and heredity.
(d) Reason and emotion.
7. What must be linked in order for someone to predict the future?
(a) The future and the past.
(b) The perfect and divine.
(c) The needs and the wants.
(d) The truth and the past.
8. What subject does Socrates say is the most pertinent?
(a) Study of oneself.
(b) Study of language.
(c) Study of history.
(d) Study in agriculture.
9. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
(c) Love and kindness.
(d) The advancement of all partners.
10. What is Acumenus's occupation?
11. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
(a) Annointing the past.
(b) Creating a future.
(c) Redeeming the dead.
(d) Striving for perfection.
12. What disability did Stesichorus have?
(a) He was blind.
(b) He had one leg.
(c) He was deaf.
(d) He was schizophrenic.
13. What is Socrates embarrassed about when he begins his speech to Phaedras?
(a) None of these.
(b) Revealing information about himself.
(c) Discussing a sensitive subject.
(d) Competing with Lysias.
14. Who is Eros's mother?
15. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds dislike?
(a) Thins that help their relationship.
(b) Things that don't involve them.
(c) Things that surprise them.
(d) Things that are superior to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
2. What does Phaedras think Socrates needs to add to his speech?
3. What does Phaedras promise to do if Socrates can change his mind?
4. What does Socrates call the force of an uncontrolled desire for love?
5. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)