|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates call the force of an uncontrolled desire for love?
2. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
(a) A common road.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A river.
(d) A lake.
3. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
(a) It would be hard for him.
(b) It would be too long.
(c) It would offend people.
(d) It would be redundant.
4. Who is Eros's mother?
5. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
(a) Choosing attractive partners.
(b) Choosing older partners.
(c) Choosing rich partners.
(d) Choosing healthy partners.
6. Who made good predictions when insane?
7. Which of the following does Socrates say mania can deliver?
8. Why did Socrates realize he made the speech to Phadras?
(a) To feed his own ego.
(b) For the sake of applause.
(c) For the advance of mankind.
(d) In the search for truth.
9. How does Socrates feel about all the sites that Phaedras takes him to?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is nonplussed.
(c) He is enchanted.
(d) He is happy with them.
10. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
(a) A cousin.
(b) A small girl.
(c) A small boy.
(d) A married woman.
11. What does Socrates say lies in desire?
12. What is Phaedras most concerned about with the speech he reads to Socrates?
(a) The language.
(b) The feeling.
(c) The subject.
(d) The form.
13. What does lack of control in desires lead to according to Socrates?
14. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
15. What does Socrates say people overcome by the desire to love spend their time doing?
(a) Pleasing the one they love.
(b) Fulfilling personal gratification.
(c) Pleasing themselves.
(d) Feeding sexual desires.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
2. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
3. What disability did Stesichorus have?
4. What does Socrates say guides desire?
5. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)