|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Delphic motto?
(a) Know theyself.
(b) Do no harm.
(c) Trust all.
(d) Be learned and humble.
2. What does Socrates say is addicting at the plane tree by the river?
(a) The fragrance.
(b) The sounds.
(c) The peace.
(d) The beauty.
3. How did Stesichorus receive his disability?
(a) He was punished for a crime.
(b) He ignored the truth in his poems.
(c) He was caught in a horrible storm.
(d) He offended the gods.
4. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds like?
(a) Things that please their lover.
(b) Things that agree with them.
(c) Things that remind them of their lover.
(d) Things that help their relationship.
5. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
6. What becomes contradictory if one is not well versed in a subject of a speech according to Socrates?
7. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
(a) It would be hard for him.
(b) It would offend people.
(c) It would be too long.
(d) It would be redundant.
8. What does Socrates say causes passion between lovers?
9. What kind of things does Socrates say lovers will do to slow down their partner?
(a) Past knowledge.
(b) All of these.
10. How does Socrates feel about all the sites that Phaedras takes him to?
(a) He is nonplussed.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He is happy with them.
(d) He is enchanted.
11. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
12. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
(a) To keep his mind balanced.
(b) To give correct speeches.
(c) To keep the gods' happy.
(d) To give entertaining speeches.
13. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
(a) It is beneficial.
(b) It is common.
(c) It is necessary.
(d) All of these
14. What is another name for the Delphic women?
(a) David's women.
(b) Dodona's women.
(c) Dobono's women.
(d) Daphne's women.
15. How does Socrates feel about Lysias's statement about prudent relationships?
(a) He is in full agreement.
(b) He thinks it is rediculous.
(c) He is skeptical.
(d) He is amused.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
2. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Socrates say one must do when dealing with a subject in a speech?
4. Who made good predictions when insane?
5. How does Socrates say Phaedras delivered the speech?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)