|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates call the force of an uncontrolled desire for love?
2. What does Socrates think people need to have sympathy towards?
(a) The uneducated.
(c) The elderly.
(d) All of these.
3. What is Acumenus's occupation?
4. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
(c) Love and kindness.
(d) The advancement of all partners.
5. What does Socrates say about insanity in his second speech?
(a) It is god-like.
(b) It is pleasant.
(c) It is common.
(d) It is natural.
6. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
7. What does Socrates say guides desire?
(a) Happiness and torture.
(b) Reason and emotion.
(c) Stability and progress.
(d) Nature and heredity.
8. What does Socrates say about stories with little factual information?
(a) They are hard to realize.
(b) They are full of symbols.
(c) They can't be trusted.
(d) They are just as needed as others.
9. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
(a) It would be too long.
(b) It would be hard for him.
(c) It would be redundant.
(d) It would offend people.
10. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
(a) They are better prepared.
(b) They are more conducive to learning.
(c) They are less patient.
(d) All of these.
11. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
(a) The Star Maker.
(b) The Gatherer.
(c) The Huntress.
(d) The Virgin.
12. What does Socrates say wrong speeches can lead to?
(d) Wrong actions.
13. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
(a) Choosing attractive partners.
(b) Choosing healthy partners.
(c) Choosing older partners.
(d) Choosing rich partners.
14. Who made good predictions when insane?
15. What does Socrates say leads to isolation in loving relationships?
(a) Past differences.
(b) Differing ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates think the only reason to make a speech should be?
2. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
3. What do Socrates and Phaedras talk about when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Socrates say brings lovers the most satisfaction in their relationships?
5. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)