|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
(a) They act that way.
(b) They present a bad image.
(c) They sequester themselves.
(d) They present a harmed image.
2. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
(a) Creating a future.
(b) Redeeming the dead.
(c) Striving for perfection.
(d) Annointing the past.
3. What does Socrates say brings lovers the most satisfaction in their relationships?
(a) Being depended on.
(b) Having someone to praise.
(c) Being praised.
(d) Having someone to depend on.
4. Which of the following does Socrates say mania can deliver?
5. What does Socrates say he is addicted to at the beginning of the book?
(a) Hearing new ideas.
(c) Engaging discussions.
6. What subject does Socrates say is the most pertinent?
(a) Study of history.
(b) Study of oneself.
(c) Study in agriculture.
(d) Study of language.
7. What is the Recantation?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A book.
(c) A song.
(d) A poem.
8. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
9. How does Socrates say Phaedras delivered the speech?
10. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
11. Why did Socrates realize he made the speech to Phadras?
(a) To feed his own ego.
(b) In the search for truth.
(c) For the advance of mankind.
(d) For the sake of applause.
12. What does Socrates say guides desire?
(a) Happiness and torture.
(b) Stability and progress.
(c) Reason and emotion.
(d) Nature and heredity.
13. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
(a) Their lovers.
(c) Their privacy.
(d) Their image.
14. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
(a) Loving relationships.
(b) Moderated relationships.
(c) Non-loving relationships.
(d) Homosexual relationships.
15. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
(a) Love and kindness.
(d) The advancement of all partners.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
2. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
3. How does Socrates feel about Lysias's statement about prudent relationships?
4. How does Socrates feel about Eros?
5. What do Socrates and Phaedras talk about when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)