|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
(a) Loving relationships.
(b) Moderated relationships.
(c) Homosexual relationships.
(d) Non-loving relationships.
2. What does Phaedras appreciate about Socrates's statement about relationships?
(a) The controversial nature.
(b) The logic.
(c) The language.
(d) The honesty.
3. What does Lysias say lovers regret?
(a) Their kindness.
(b) All of these.
(c) Their selfishness.
(d) Their assumptions.
4. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
(a) Redeeming the dead.
(b) Creating a future.
(c) Annointing the past.
(d) Striving for perfection.
5. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
6. What does Phaedras threaten Socrates with?
(a) To take credit for his speech.
(b) Never to give another speech.
(c) To end their friendship.
(d) Never to walk with him again.
7. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
8. What does Socrates think people need to have sympathy towards?
(a) All of these.
(b) The elderly.
(c) The uneducated.
9. What is Socrates embarrassed about when he begins his speech to Phaedras?
(a) None of these.
(b) Revealing information about himself.
(c) Competing with Lysias.
(d) Discussing a sensitive subject.
10. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
(a) The Virgin.
(b) The Huntress.
(c) The Star Maker.
(d) The Gatherer.
11. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
(a) They are better prepared.
(b) They are less patient.
(c) They are more conducive to learning.
(d) All of these.
12. What does Socrates say about stories with little factual information?
(a) They can't be trusted.
(b) They are hard to realize.
(c) They are just as needed as others.
(d) They are full of symbols.
13. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
14. What is Lysias's occupation?
15. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say guides desire?
2. What does Socrates say leads to isolation in loving relationships?
3. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
4. What is the Delphic motto?
5. Who does Socrates say inspired his second speech?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)