|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phaedras appreciate about Socrates's statement about relationships?
(a) The logic.
(b) The language.
(c) The honesty.
(d) The controversial nature.
2. What does Socrates say brings lovers the most satisfaction in their relationships?
(a) Having someone to depend on.
(b) Being praised.
(c) Having someone to praise.
(d) Being depended on.
3. Who is Eros's mother?
4. What is Socrates embarrassed about when he begins his speech to Phaedras?
(a) None of these.
(b) Revealing information about himself.
(c) Competing with Lysias.
(d) Discussing a sensitive subject.
5. What facilitated the achievements of the Delphic women?
6. What kind of things does Socrates say lovers will do to slow down their partner?
(b) All of these.
(c) Past knowledge.
7. What does Socrates think the only reason to make a speech should be?
(a) To feed one's own ego.
(b) For the sake of applause.
(c) For the advance of mankind.
(d) To the search for truth.
8. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
(a) A married woman.
(b) A small boy.
(c) A cousin.
(d) A small girl.
9. What is the Recantation?
(a) A song.
(b) A prayer.
(c) A poem.
(d) A book.
10. What does Socrates say wrong speeches can lead to?
(b) Wrong actions.
11. What does Socrates say people overcome by the desire to love spend their time doing?
(a) Feeding sexual desires.
(b) Pleasing the one they love.
(c) Pleasing themselves.
(d) Fulfilling personal gratification.
12. What does Socrates want in a place to hear the speech?
(a) A rock and some water.
(b) Birds and sun.
(c) A tree and a breeze.
(d) Some shade and a chair.
13. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds dislike?
(a) Thins that help their relationship.
(b) Things that don't involve them.
(c) Things that surprise them.
(d) Things that are superior to them.
14. What does Socrates say must be arranged correctly in a good speech?
(a) The language.
(b) The rise and fall.
(c) The points.
(d) The subject.
15. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made good predictions when insane?
2. What does Socrates think people need to have sympathy towards?
3. What does Lysias say the most rewarding relationship consists of?
4. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
5. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)