|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say leads to isolation in loving relationships?
(a) Differing ideas.
(c) Past differences.
2. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
(a) To give entertaining speeches.
(b) To give correct speeches.
(c) To keep his mind balanced.
(d) To keep the gods' happy.
3. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
4. How does Socrates say Phaedras delivered the speech?
5. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
(a) The advancement of all partners.
(c) Love and kindness.
6. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A lake.
(c) A river.
(d) A common road.
7. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
(a) Annointing the past.
(b) Redeeming the dead.
(c) Striving for perfection.
(d) Creating a future.
8. How did Stesichorus receive his disability?
(a) He offended the gods.
(b) He was punished for a crime.
(c) He ignored the truth in his poems.
(d) He was caught in a horrible storm.
9. What does Socrates say about insanity in his second speech?
(a) It is god-like.
(b) It is common.
(c) It is natural.
(d) It is pleasant.
10. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
11. Who does Socrates say inspired his second speech?
12. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
13. What becomes contradictory if one is not well versed in a subject of a speech according to Socrates?
14. What does Socrates say causes passion between lovers?
15. What does Socrates call the force of an uncontrolled desire for love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lysias say lovers regret?
2. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
3. What does Socrates say love is deprived of at the end of his speech?
4. What does Socrates like most about the speech read by Phaedras?
5. What is more worthwhile to Socrates than opinions?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)