|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, On the European Stage, Chapters 53-57.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Mazeppa had run into his arms, why was Charles XII desperate?
(a) His troops wanted to surrender.
(b) His army was divided, low on food and medicine.
(c) He was surrounded, low on food and gunpowder.
(d) He was deep in enemy territory, low on food and gunpowder.
2. After how long did Peter bid the Regent and King farewell?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Ten weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Eight weeks.
3. Tsar Alexis is described as what type of ruler?
4. After Charles XII was led into a trap, what did he and his troops lose?
(a) Warm quarters.
(b) Food rations.
(c) Dry gunpowder.
(d) Safe retreat.
5. In Chapter 32, the Russians torched Poland to deny Charles provisions and bridges, and accomplish what else?
(a) Insert blockades.
(b) Recruit additional forces.
(c) Draft new forces.
(d) Position cannons across rivers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seeking to restore old Moscow, Charles XII takes a direct thrust at Russia's heart rather than first restoring which sea?
2. Where did Charles XII flee as Peter made his first disciplined infantry launch?
3. Peter failed in his efforts with Leopold I to gain an ally against the Turks, as Austria was seeking peace in anticipation of new warfare in _____________.
4. Peter, unaware if St. Petersburg or Moscow was the goal of Charles XII, set for both and burned a swath how long from Smolensk to Pskov?
5. Unable to fight with Sweden or Britain in new "ship-of-the-line" warships, what did Peter build that could sail close to shore and swarm larger ships?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)