|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Molly that her father is coming to the island?
2. What causes the mermaids to abandon the trunk?
3. Who asked Richard to do something to the cow?
4. Who gets the trunk away from Stache after he takes it from Richard?
5. How many scouts does Stache send at the fork in the path?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Slank do when he sees where Stache went on the island?
2. What causes Stache to be nice to the pirate who says he is afraid when seeing the flying people?
3. What happens when Alf tries to communicate with the savages?
4. What made Mr. Grin like human flesh?
5. What makes the savage leader start to believe Alf's story?
6. What does Molly choose to do when she sees the orphans with the savages?
7. How does Molly feel when she hears about Peter's connection with the mermaids?
8. How can Peter communicate with the mermaid?
9. What promise does Peter break when he goes to the shore?
10. What does Peter dream about while he is unconscious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What is Slank's secret identity, and how does this affect the outcome of the book? Why does Slank feel he must keep this a secret, and what does this say about the nature of the other people on the ship?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Starstuff and what effects does it have on the plot and the main characters?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)