|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lasts for a full month in this chapter?
2. What does Wanja say Karega has in his veins?
3. What does Munira claim could damage the souls of his students?
4. What is Munira addicted to in this chapter?
5. Which two characters leave together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Kenya's independence changed the country in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in Kenya.
1) What meaning does Kenya bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Kenya?
2) How different do you think today's Kenya is to the Kenya in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Kenya?
3) How do you think the Kenya settings contribute to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Thiongo was born in the same district as the novel was written in and his family was caught up in the Mau Mau rebellion, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Thiongo knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Thiongo does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)