|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wanja say Karega has in his veins?
2. What does Munira do to Lillian when their relationship fails to make Wanja jealous?
3. What did Abdulla and Nding'uri smuggle to African freedom fighters?
4. What is Munira addicted to in this chapter?
5. What road is built in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Thiongo's writing style. How would you describe Thiongo's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Thiongo's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1970's Kenya.
1) Why was development and change such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think Kenya was going through a transitional phase in the Seventies? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) How much has Kenya changed since the Seventies?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Why? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)