|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the donkey eat too much of?
2. Why are the children behaving the way they are?
3. What does the delegation do when the MP steps into the garden?
4. What was the nationality of the man who opened Abdulla's shop?
5. Why did Munira chase the children on his metal horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do things between Munira and Wanja get worse rather than better?
2. Why was the year following Wanja's departure so hard?
3. What comparison does Wanja make between Munira and Karega?
4. What does Wanja tell Munira in Chapter 11?
5. In what way has the visit to the city changed Karega?
6. Describe the second person who is arrested.
7. What did Wanja do on the day of Karega's arrival?
8. What good news does Munira receive in Chapter 5?
9. Why does Munira not like his father?
10. Describe how Abdullah built his shop into a worthy business.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Munira and Karega.
1) In what way are their ideas about life different?
2) Why do you think though chose such different paths?
3) What did Wanja see in Kareaga that she could not find in Munira?
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay about one of the following:
2) Mau Mau
3) The Trans Africa Road
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Thiongo use character and dialogue to drive his narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Thiongo uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)