|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Karega and Munira discouraged by when school begins?
2. Who does Wanja help in the fields?
3. What is the name of the MP?
4. With which member of Munira's family was Karega friendly?
5. To where does Wanja suggest Karega moves?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Ilmorog no longer look the place it was?
2. How did Karega go about trying to change things in Africa for workers?
3. Summarize the history of Ilorog as outlined at the beginning of Chapter 4.
4. How is Munira's life getting better at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Describe Karega's experience on Theng'eta.
6. Why does Wanja decide to leave Ilmorog?
7. Why is Munira so disturbed by Karega's arrival in Chapter 3?
8. What is Theng'eta?
9. What did Wanja do on the day of Karega's arrival?
10. What does Wanja tell Munira in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how different independent Kenya was from colonized Kenya. How did Kenya change when it became independent? Were all the changes positive? What effect did Kenya have on the nation's mindset?
Essay Topic 2
Use the following statement to write a 500-word essay: The novel addresses the problems in Kenya during the Seventies, but fails to address why they were happening and how they could be solved.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Why? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)