|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Christopher tell Catherine in Chapter 20, she should have married?
2. In Chapter 21, what does Catherine give as a graduation gift?
3. What does Catherine keep secret from Julian in Chapter 21?
4. Who arrives at Foxworth Hall shortly before Catherine's mother flees the study?
5. Who becomes especially close to Catherine's child in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in the hospital at the start of Chapter 20 and who is he related to?
2. How does Julian punish Catherine for attending Christopher's graduation?
3. What happens to Foxworth Hall at the end of Chapter 34, and who dies?
4. Why does Julian commit suicide at the end of Chapter 24?
5. Describe what the attic looks like when Catherine returns in Chapter 34.
6. What happens to Catherine when she invites Bart Winslow to dinner in Chapter 31?
7. Describe Julian and Catherine's relationship in Chapter 19.
8. Who does Catherine refuse to let move in with her in Chapter 30?
9. Where do Julian and Catherine fly to at the start of Chapter 19, and why?
10. How does Catherine attend Christopher's graduation and what does she give him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Paul reveals to Catherine that his ex-wife murdered their small child. What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of revenge?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Catherine and Dr. Paul. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Why do you believe Catherine falls in love with Dr. Paul?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events surrounding Carrie's suicide. Why does she decide that suicide is her only option? Who do you believe is to blame for her demise? What could have changed her fate?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)