|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, where are the children heading?
2. How old was Dr. Paul's son when he was killed?
3. In what room of Foxworth Hall were the siblings held hostage?
4. At the end of Chapter 8, who does Dr. Paul tell Catherine about?
5. Who, in Chapter 7, does Catherine attempt to kiss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Catherine meet at the ballet in Chapter 4 and why is the meeting important?
2. What does Catherine think of Dr. Paul when she first meets him?
3. Who refuses to support Catherine's engagement to Dr. Paul?
4. What holiday is occurring when Chapter 4 opens and how does the family celebrate?
5. Why does Julian leave Catherine on the side of the road in Chapter 16? How does she get home?
6. What gifts does Catherine receive in Chapter 17, and who gives them to her?
7. In Chapter 16, who wants Catherine to set her up on a date with Christopher and why?
8. How do the children adjust to living at Dr. Paul's house?
9. What does Catherine want for her Christmas gift in Chapter 13 and why?
10. Why do Catherine and the children leave the bus and where do they go? Who takes them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term 'foreshadow'. How does V.C Andrews use foreshadowing in her book? Provide two examples of foreshadowing and the events they predict.
Essay Topic 2
Catherine meets many interesting people in the book. These people influence her life in many ways. Choose one person or couple she meets that influence her life and explain the positive and negative aspects of that influence.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the plot and subplot in V.C Andrews' book. Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. With the multiple subplots in this story, how does V.C Andrews effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)