|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 19, who does Catherine marry?
2. What does Christopher give Catherine for Christmas in Chapter 17?
3. What does Catherine begin collecting in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 8, what do Julian and Catherine do on their date?
5. In Chapter 1, where are the children heading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Julian and how does Catherine meet him?
2. What holiday is occurring when Chapter 4 opens and how does the family celebrate?
3. How do the children adjust to living at Dr. Paul's house?
4. What does Catherine want for her Christmas gift in Chapter 13 and why?
5. Why do Christopher and Julian argue on Catherine's 16th birthday?
6. Why do Catherine and the children leave the bus and where do they go? Who takes them?
7. Why does Julian leave Catherine on the side of the road in Chapter 16? How does she get home?
8. In Chapter 16, who wants Catherine to set her up on a date with Christopher and why?
9. What does Catherine think of Dr. Paul when she first meets him?
10. What happens between Dr. Paul and Catherine the night before school starts in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Catherine and Julian's relationship doomed from the start? Why or why not? Could anything have changed the course their relationship took? Explain your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three examples from the text that illustrate the theme of revenge in V.C Andrews' book. Discuss why revenge is important to the plot of the book and how two characters (not Catherine) justify and carry out revenge.
Essay Topic 3
How does V.C Andrews address the theme of self-esteem in her book? Choose two examples of positive and negative self-esteem and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of self-esteem in the book.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)