|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does Louis actually reach the cement grave liner?
(a) 1 a.m.
(c) 2 p.m.
(d) 11 p.m.
2. What does Rachel do when sees the person upstairs in Chapter 59?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Begs for mercy.
(c) Opens her arms and cries out for him.
(d) Opens her arms and cries out for her.
3. How does Louis open the grave-liner?
(a) He breaks the concrete liner with sledge hammer.
(b) It opens when he drops it.
(c) He prays for the liner to open and it does.
(d) He threads his rope through the iron rings and lifts it open.
4. How does Rachel continue her trip after missing her plane?
(a) She takes another plane, but will arrive two hours later.
(b) She calls Jud to come get her.
(c) She waits at the airport until the next afternoon.
(d) She rents a car to drive the rest of the way home.
5. Who is happy that Rachel plans to return to check on Louis?
(a) Mr. Goldman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two obstacles does Rachel encounter on her driving trip?
2. As Rachel thinks back about Louis taking them to the airport, she becomes frightened when she realizes...
3. What time does Rachel miss her plane in Boston?
4. Who comforts Ellie at the graveside service in Chapter 41?
5. In Louis's dream in Chapter 40, what accomplishment does Gage earn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Ellie sick during her plane trip? What makes her perk up at the end of the trip?
2. Why does Louis watch over his sleeping son after their fun day?
3. Using Norma's voice, what does one of the intruders tell Jud about what his wife knows and what his wife did?
4. Rachel pulls into a hotel for the night, but doesn't stay. Why does she leave?
5. What will Louis do if Gage is resurrected as some kind of monster? How does he hope that Gage will return to life?
6. Why can't Louis help console his wife and daughter?
7. What inspires Rachel to finally discuss her sister's death? Is she usually inspired by such instances?
8. What reason does Jud rationalize for not intercepting Louis once he realizes what Louis must have planned? How does the author lead the reader to believe that there is another reason Jud does not intercept Louis?
9. Why was Rachel scared of her sister?
10. What is happening with Louis and with Rachel at 11 p.m. in Chapters 47-48? Why does the author report their activities this way?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)