Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
2. The Confederates attacked a section of the Union forces repeatedly but were turned away each time, and Grant noted what about the Confederates?
3. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
4. Grant had another meeting with Lincoln and when Grant outlined his plan and reason for advancing, Lincoln said that he understood and compared it to a saying he'd heard, "If a man can't skin he must hold ___________ while somebody else does".
5. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
Essay Topic 1
Grant describes life in San Francisco.
Part 1) Describe San Francisco based on Grant's writings. What did Grant think about San Francisco? What does this reveal about Grant's beliefs and personality?
Part 2) How does the San Francisco of Grants' time compare to San Francisco today? How might San Francisco still be influenced by its past? Why is this information regarding San Francisco's past important to this book?
Part 3) How did Grant's life change during his time in San Francisco? How might this have led to his resignation from the military? How can you relate to this? When in your own life have people, places, and/or events influenced decisions you made?
Essay Topic 2
Grant was ordered to San Francisco.
Part 1) What was Grant's attitude regarding himself and the city of San Francisco? Why did he feel this way? How was his opinion of himself and his opinion of San Francisco changed after moving to there? How was he affected by these changes?
Part 2) Why might the people of San Francisco treat him they way they did? What does this reveal about the citizens of San Francisco? How was Grant treated by others throughout his life? How does this treatment compare to the treatment he received in San Francisco?
Part 3) Describe a time in which you were treated differently than you had expected to be treated. What was your reaction to this? How did this affect you?
Essay Topic 3
Grant witnesses a duel.
Part 1) Describe this duel. Why does Grant discuss this duel? How is he affected by witnessing this duel? What does this reflection on this duel reveal about Grant?
Part 2) At what other times does Grant reflect upon the events taking place around him? Why does he reflect on these events? What do these reflections reveal about him?
Part 3) When have you reflected on past events? How were these events important? How did these events impact your life?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)