|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 45, Grant was moved to ____________ and established a headquarters there.
2. At Grant's request, _________________ was transferred to take over the command of the Army of Tennessee which was headquartered near Grant's location.
3. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
4. Grant pointed out that Lee was careful not to show what?
5. Was the request granted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
2. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
3. What did Grant's new plan for moving the troops in tandem become?
4. What was necessary to cut off supplies to enemy troops? Is this still an important tactic today? Why or why not?
5. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
6. Grant travels to Alabama, tours the area, and the first order of business is to create a workable supply line. Why is this the first order of business?
7. What did Grant think about this new campaign involving all the troops? Why?
8. What was most devastating about the Battle of the Wilderness?
9. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
10. How important was slavery to the turmoil and eventual war between the states, according to Grant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant describes and reflects on the battle of Vicksburg.
Part 1) Describe this battle. What events led up to this battle? Why did this battle take place? How was this battle significant?
Part 2) What are Grant's thoughts about the battle of Vicksburg? How have his feelings and thoughts about this battle changed since the battle took place? How does this reflection compare to his reflections upon other battles and events?
Part 3) What is learned about Grant through his memories of Vicksburg? What is also learned about the Civil War and war tactics in general? How might this information be useful for future military leaders?
Essay Topic 2
Grant planned on doing a short stint in the military before going into teaching.
Part 1) How did Grant feel about military life early one? Why did he feel this way? How did his feelings about the military change throughout his life? Why did his feelings change?
Part 2) Why might Grant have been interested in teaching? How is this desire to be a teacher seen in the way he led, encouraged, and urged his men during the Civil War?
Part 3) How have plans for your own life altered as you have grown older? How have your feelings changed regarding certain topics? Why? How can you relate to the changes that took place in Grant's life?
Essay Topic 3
Grant made Abraham Lincoln a promise.
Part 1) What was this promise? Why did he make Lincoln this promise? What events led up to this promise?
Part 2) What does the first meeting between Lincoln and Grant reveal about both of these men? How did this initial meeting affect their relationship throughout the rest of the war?
Part 3) What promises have you made in your own life? Why did you make these promises? Have you been able to keep these promises? Why or why not? How difficult were these promises to try to keep? Explain.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)