Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
2. The Confederates attacked a section of the Union forces repeatedly but were turned away each time, and Grant noted what about the Confederates?
3. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
4. Grant had another meeting with Lincoln and when Grant outlined his plan and reason for advancing, Lincoln said that he understood and compared it to a saying he'd heard, "If a man can't skin he must hold ___________ while somebody else does".
5. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
Essay Topic 1
Grant gives detailed information about troops and their positions and strengths under specific commanders.
Part 1) Describe two times in which Grant does this. How is this information pertinent to events in Grant's life? What does this information reveal about Grant?
Part 2) Why does Grant give this information? How can military historians and military leaders of today benefit from this information? How might the commanders of troops in question feel about Grant's attitude towards them? Why?
Part 3) Would a military commander today include such detailed information to the public today? Why or why not? How have military tactics and plans become more and more difficult to keep secret? How is this both good and bad?
Essay Topic 2
Grant participated in the Mexican War.
Part 1) Describe the Mexican War. Why did it begin? How did it come to an end? How was the U.S. and Mexico affected by the outcome of this war? How is this still seen today?
Part 2) What were Grant's feelings regarding this war? Why did he feel this way? Did he act in a way that revealed these feelings? Why or why not? What are your own thoughts regarding this war, based on information found in this book?
Part 3) What are your feelings about war in general now that you have read this book? What can be said about all wars? How are the wars described in this book unique?
Essay Topic 3
Grant was ordered to San Francisco.
Part 1) What was Grant's attitude regarding himself and the city of San Francisco? Why did he feel this way? How was his opinion of himself and his opinion of San Francisco changed after moving to there? How was he affected by these changes?
Part 2) Why might the people of San Francisco treat him they way they did? What does this reveal about the citizens of San Francisco? How was Grant treated by others throughout his life? How does this treatment compare to the treatment he received in San Francisco?
Part 3) Describe a time in which you were treated differently than you had expected to be treated. What was your reaction to this? How did this affect you?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)