|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Union tried to secure railroads in areas they controlled but the Confederates managed to do what anyway?
2. In Chapter 58, Grant described additional advances with Sheridan's troops and his victory at the ______________.
3. Why was it important that the Union military take control of this fort?
4. Grant said that if the Confederates had time to rest, what would happen?
5. Grant wrote a lengthy letter outlining a new plan to move all the Union troops how?
Short Essay Questions
1. How important was slavery to the turmoil and eventual war between the states, according to Grant.
2. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
3. When Lee's troops were discovered, what was learned about Lee and his men?
4. What significant event happened soon after Grant was promoted to Lieutenant General of the Union Army? How was this significant?
5. Why, in Chapter Fifty-Nine, does Grant step back in time to Sherman's march to the sea?
6. What did Grant's new plan for moving the troops in tandem become?
7. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
8. What does Grant note about both the battle at Cold Harbor and Vicksburg? Why does he say this?
9. Grant urged Thomas to attack Hood's rebel forces. How did Thomas respond? Why did he respond in this way?
10. How did the march to the sea begin? Why is this important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant came from an encouraging family.
Part 1) How was he encouraged as a child and young adult? How did he feel about this encouragement?
Part 2) How different might Grant's life have been if his parents had not had high hopes for him? How might we all have been affected by this?
Part 3) How have you been encouraged in your own life? How has this influenced your life? How might this affect how you would influence your own children?
Essay Topic 2
Grant was ordered to San Francisco.
Part 1) What was Grant's attitude regarding himself and the city of San Francisco? Why did he feel this way? How was his opinion of himself and his opinion of San Francisco changed after moving to there? How was he affected by these changes?
Part 2) Why might the people of San Francisco treat him they way they did? What does this reveal about the citizens of San Francisco? How was Grant treated by others throughout his life? How does this treatment compare to the treatment he received in San Francisco?
Part 3) Describe a time in which you were treated differently than you had expected to be treated. What was your reaction to this? How did this affect you?
Essay Topic 3
Grant made Abraham Lincoln a promise.
Part 1) What was this promise? Why did he make Lincoln this promise? What events led up to this promise?
Part 2) What does the first meeting between Lincoln and Grant reveal about both of these men? How did this initial meeting affect their relationship throughout the rest of the war?
Part 3) What promises have you made in your own life? Why did you make these promises? Have you been able to keep these promises? Why or why not? How difficult were these promises to try to keep? Explain.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)