|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant told a story about __________ that he said epitomized the man's character.
2. Why was it important that the Union military take control of this fort?
3. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
4. In Chapter 67, Grant described the peace negotiations at ________________ and the terms of surrender that came from that meeting.
5. Was the request granted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
2. Describe the casualties at the Courthouse at Spotsylvania. Did this affect Grant? Why or why not?
3. Why, in Chapter Fifty-Nine, does Grant step back in time to Sherman's march to the sea?
4. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
5. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
6. At the surrender of the Confederates, the Union men were energized. Why? Should they have been?
7. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
8. Grant tells a story about Confederate Commander Bragg. Why does he tell this story?
9. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
10. When Lee's troops were discovered, what was learned about Lee and his men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant had many responsibilities throughout the Civil War.
Part 1) Describe two of Grant's responsibilities throughout the war. Why was he given each of these responsibilities? How successful was he at each of these tasks? Explain.
Part 2) How did his work during the Civil War affect his relationships with others? How did it influence the war effort as a whole?
Part 3) What responsibilities do you have? How did you receive these responsibilities? How successful have you been at these tasks? Explain. How important has your role been in regards to these responsibilities? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Grant planned on doing a short stint in the military before going into teaching.
Part 1) How did Grant feel about military life early one? Why did he feel this way? How did his feelings about the military change throughout his life? Why did his feelings change?
Part 2) Why might Grant have been interested in teaching? How is this desire to be a teacher seen in the way he led, encouraged, and urged his men during the Civil War?
Part 3) How have plans for your own life altered as you have grown older? How have your feelings changed regarding certain topics? Why? How can you relate to the changes that took place in Grant's life?
Essay Topic 3
Grant describes the turmoil that existed all over the country.
Part 1) Describe this turmoil, according to Grant. What caused this turmoil? How did the U.S. deal with it? Was this adequate? Why or why not? How did this influence the start of the war and the war itself?
Part 2) Did this turmoil exist after the war? Why or why not? What other times throughout the U.S.'s existence have been tumultuous? Why? How did our country manage to lessen this turmoil?
Part 3) Does turmoil exist in our country today? If so, why? If not, why not? Do you see the U.S. suffering from a civil war in the future? Why or why not?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)