Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
2. The Confederates attacked a section of the Union forces repeatedly but were turned away each time, and Grant noted what about the Confederates?
3. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
4. Grant had another meeting with Lincoln and when Grant outlined his plan and reason for advancing, Lincoln said that he understood and compared it to a saying he'd heard, "If a man can't skin he must hold ___________ while somebody else does".
5. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
Essay Topic 1
General Lee "set up a white flag."
Part 1) How did the battles described in this book lead to Lee's surrender? What battles were the most significant and had the most impact on this Union victory?
Part 2) What role did Grant play throughout this war? How important was Grant to the Union cause? Explain. Could the north have beaten the south without Grant? Why or why not? Use evidence from this book to support your responses.
Part 3) If Grant were to go back and fight the Civil War all over again, do you believe he would have? What changes might he have made to his various plans? Why? Use the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Grant describes and reflects on the battle of Vicksburg.
Part 1) Describe this battle. What events led up to this battle? Why did this battle take place? How was this battle significant?
Part 2) What are Grant's thoughts about the battle of Vicksburg? How have his feelings and thoughts about this battle changed since the battle took place? How does this reflection compare to his reflections upon other battles and events?
Part 3) What is learned about Grant through his memories of Vicksburg? What is also learned about the Civil War and war tactics in general? How might this information be useful for future military leaders?
Essay Topic 3
Grant had many responsibilities throughout the Civil War.
Part 1) Describe two of Grant's responsibilities throughout the war. Why was he given each of these responsibilities? How successful was he at each of these tasks? Explain.
Part 2) How did his work during the Civil War affect his relationships with others? How did it influence the war effort as a whole?
Part 3) What responsibilities do you have? How did you receive these responsibilities? How successful have you been at these tasks? Explain. How important has your role been in regards to these responsibilities? Explain.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)