|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 27, Grant moved to _______________, where he set up headquarters.
2. On a Friday, Grant took a fall with his horse and was injured, though not as seriously as he might have been because of what?
3. In Chapter 39, Grant outlined a plan to assault ___________ that was eventually vetoed.
4. Eventually, Grant was ordered to San Francisco. When Grant's uniform first arrived, he put it on and went out in public. Why?
5. What did Grant say that Indians would do because they did not trust store owners to add up multiple purchases?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant attended a bull fight. How did he feel about this? Why might he have felt this way?
2. How did Grant feel about being involved in the Mexican War? Why might he have felt this way?
3. In Chapter Sixteen, Grant resigned from the military. Why might he have done this?
4. Grant received orders from General Halleck to change his position. Did Grant do this? Why or why not?
5. Grant's troops came under fire for the first time at Belmont and he said they acted like veteran fighters. Why might they have fought so well?
6. In Chapter Twenty-Nine, troops supporting Grant at Corinth were moved out. How did this affect Grant? What might he have thought of this maneuver?
7. Grant asked to be assigned to the cavalry but was assigned to the infantry. What is the difference between these two military groups? Why might he have wanted to be a part of the cavalry?
8. Grant describes the pressure of public opinion. How is public opinion even more important in military operations today?
9. Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of relief. Why was there a sense of relief?
10. Grant was disappointed by the reaction of others in San Francisco to him in uniform. Why might he have felt this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant describes the turmoil that existed all over the country.
Part 1) Describe this turmoil, according to Grant. What caused this turmoil? How did the U.S. deal with it? Was this adequate? Why or why not? How did this influence the start of the war and the war itself?
Part 2) Did this turmoil exist after the war? Why or why not? What other times throughout the U.S.'s existence have been tumultuous? Why? How did our country manage to lessen this turmoil?
Part 3) Does turmoil exist in our country today? If so, why? If not, why not? Do you see the U.S. suffering from a civil war in the future? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Former slaves joined with the Union army.
Part 1) Why might the slaves have joined the Union army? How were they treated? Why were they treated in this way? What does this reveal and/or reinforce about the northern sentiment regarding slaves?
Part 2) How might the slaves have been beneficial to the Union regiments? How could these slaves help the Union army beat the Confederacy?
Part 3) How has our country throughout its history been a safe haven for the needy? Why has it been a place of refuge? How has this influenced American society and helped America become what it is today?
Essay Topic 3
Grant came from an encouraging family.
Part 1) How was he encouraged as a child and young adult? How did he feel about this encouragement?
Part 2) How different might Grant's life have been if his parents had not had high hopes for him? How might we all have been affected by this?
Part 3) How have you been encouraged in your own life? How has this influenced your life? How might this affect how you would influence your own children?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)