|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 28, Grant described the battle of _________. Grant said that he wasn't pleased with the results.
2. While the United States wanted a war with Mexico over disputed territory, Grant said what was important?
3. In Chapter 25, Grant said Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston was wounded at Shiloh and, refusing to give up his command because _________________, remained on his horse until he was so weak from loss of blood that he died.
4. Who taunted Grant?
5. Sherman questioned __________ Grant had planned after the siege at Vicksburg.
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant arrived with the army at Pittsburg Landing and believed neither Pittsburg Landing nor Crump's Landing could be lost. Why?
2. Prior to the Mexican War, Grant noted that the presence of U.S. soldiers was supposed to provoke an attack by the Mexicans but it did not. Why might they not have attacked?
3. Grant described the use of the trenches at Vicksburg. How were trenches useful? How were they used in later wars?
4. How does Grant contrast General Scott with General Taylor?
5. Grant believed that a "bloodless advance to Atlanta, to Vicksburg, or to any other desired point south of Corinth" would have been possible, but the advantage was never pressed. Why not?
6. Sherman wrote to Grant's superior, seeking to force Grant to heed the advice of other commanders. What does this reveal about Grant?
7. Grant asked to be assigned to the cavalry but was assigned to the infantry. What is the difference between these two military groups? Why might he have wanted to be a part of the cavalry?
8. When Lincoln called for volunteers at the start of the Civil War, Grant joined. Why?
9. Grant talked about the lack of trust the Indians had in the whites. Why did they not trust the white man?
10. Describe the death of General Albert Sidney Johnston. Why might he have told this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant was ordered to San Francisco.
Part 1) What was Grant's attitude regarding himself and the city of San Francisco? Why did he feel this way? How was his opinion of himself and his opinion of San Francisco changed after moving to there? How was he affected by these changes?
Part 2) Why might the people of San Francisco treat him they way they did? What does this reveal about the citizens of San Francisco? How was Grant treated by others throughout his life? How does this treatment compare to the treatment he received in San Francisco?
Part 3) Describe a time in which you were treated differently than you had expected to be treated. What was your reaction to this? How did this affect you?
Essay Topic 2
Grant, as well as other leaders, continued to fight and lead troops even after being injured.
Part 1) Describe a time in which Grant was injured and continued to lead. Why did he do this? What other leader was injured and continued to lead his men? Why did he do this? What does this reveal about these men? What does this say about the Civil War?
Part 2) Should these men have continued to lead? Why or why not? Would you lead others if you were sick or injured? Why or why not?
Part 3) Would military leaders do this today? Why or why not? In what ways can you support this belief regarding the U.S. military today?
Essay Topic 3
Grant came from an encouraging family.
Part 1) How was he encouraged as a child and young adult? How did he feel about this encouragement?
Part 2) How different might Grant's life have been if his parents had not had high hopes for him? How might we all have been affected by this?
Part 3) How have you been encouraged in your own life? How has this influenced your life? How might this affect how you would influence your own children?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)