|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 21, Grant described the assault and capture of ____________.
2. Grant noted after the surrender of Vicksburg that the men taken prisoner did what regarding the Union Army?
3. The fighting continued and Grant described in detail the movements of the men and the ________-hour battle at Champion's Hill.
4. Grant received orders from General Halleck to change his position, but Grant did not. Why did he not obey?
5. A Confederate officer later said that he'd pointed Grant out to his men, saying that they were welcome to shoot him. Did anyone shoot at him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lincoln called for volunteers at the start of the Civil War, Grant joined. Why?
2. Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking their fortunes in gold. How might this gold rush still be seen today?
3. Grant planned to attack Fort Donelson and predicted little opposition from the fort's commander. Why? What does this reveal about Grant?
4. Grant was named Brigadier-General and said he was surprised by the promotion. Why might he have been surprised?
5. Grant talked about the lack of trust the Indians had in the whites. Why did they not trust the white man?
6. Grant asked to be assigned to the cavalry but was assigned to the infantry. What is the difference between these two military groups? Why might he have wanted to be a part of the cavalry?
7. Grant described the use of the trenches at Vicksburg. How were trenches useful? How were they used in later wars?
8. How did Grant feel about being involved in the Mexican War? Why might he have felt this way?
9. Sherman wrote to Grant's superior, seeking to force Grant to heed the advice of other commanders. What does this reveal about Grant?
10. How did Grant feel about his men? How might he have benefited from this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant describes life in San Francisco.
Part 1) Describe San Francisco based on Grant's writings. What did Grant think about San Francisco? What does this reveal about Grant's beliefs and personality?
Part 2) How does the San Francisco of Grants' time compare to San Francisco today? How might San Francisco still be influenced by its past? Why is this information regarding San Francisco's past important to this book?
Part 3) How did Grant's life change during his time in San Francisco? How might this have led to his resignation from the military? How can you relate to this? When in your own life have people, places, and/or events influenced decisions you made?
Essay Topic 2
Grant witnesses a duel.
Part 1) Describe this duel. Why does Grant discuss this duel? How is he affected by witnessing this duel? What does this reflection on this duel reveal about Grant?
Part 2) At what other times does Grant reflect upon the events taking place around him? Why does he reflect on these events? What do these reflections reveal about him?
Part 3) When have you reflected on past events? How were these events important? How did these events impact your life?
Essay Topic 3
Grant participated in the Mexican War.
Part 1) Describe the Mexican War. Why did it begin? How did it come to an end? How was the U.S. and Mexico affected by the outcome of this war? How is this still seen today?
Part 2) What were Grant's feelings regarding this war? Why did he feel this way? Did he act in a way that revealed these feelings? Why or why not? What are your own thoughts regarding this war, based on information found in this book?
Part 3) What are your feelings about war in general now that you have read this book? What can be said about all wars? How are the wars described in this book unique?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)