|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant noted after the surrender of Vicksburg that the men taken prisoner did what regarding the Union Army?
2. In Chapter 33, Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of what?
3. On ____________, Grant issued a series of orders, including an order sending John A. McClernand to the right wing, Sherman to the left, and James B. McPherson at the middle.
4. How does Grant feel about his involvement in the Mexican War?
5. Grant reported in September at the ________________ Barracks in St. Louis.
Short Essay Questions
1. Sherman wrote to Grant's superior, seeking to force Grant to heed the advice of other commanders. What does this reveal about Grant?
2. Grant's troops came under fire for the first time at Belmont and he said they acted like veteran fighters. Why might they have fought so well?
3. Grant said that once the City of Mexico fell, it seemed that a long-term occupation would be necessary. Why might he believe this?
4. When Lincoln called for volunteers at the start of the Civil War, Grant joined. Why?
5. In Chapter Twenty-Nine, troops supporting Grant at Corinth were moved out. How did this affect Grant? What might he have thought of this maneuver?
6. As Grant journeyed to Memphis, he encountered a Union loyalist who warned him of a neighbor who was a Southern sympathizer. What does this reveal about the difficulties involved in fighting a civil war?
7. Grant was disappointed by the reaction of others in San Francisco to him in uniform. Why might he have felt this way?
8. Former slaves join up with the army. What were Grant's orders? What does this reveal about him?
9. Grant received orders to support the army with the possessions of those favoring the Southern cause. Why was he given these orders.
10. How did Grant feel about attending West Point? Why might he have felt this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant was ordered to San Francisco.
Part 1) What was Grant's attitude regarding himself and the city of San Francisco? Why did he feel this way? How was his opinion of himself and his opinion of San Francisco changed after moving to there? How was he affected by these changes?
Part 2) Why might the people of San Francisco treat him they way they did? What does this reveal about the citizens of San Francisco? How was Grant treated by others throughout his life? How does this treatment compare to the treatment he received in San Francisco?
Part 3) Describe a time in which you were treated differently than you had expected to be treated. What was your reaction to this? How did this affect you?
Essay Topic 2
Grant participated in the Mexican War.
Part 1) Describe the Mexican War. Why did it begin? How did it come to an end? How was the U.S. and Mexico affected by the outcome of this war? How is this still seen today?
Part 2) What were Grant's feelings regarding this war? Why did he feel this way? Did he act in a way that revealed these feelings? Why or why not? What are your own thoughts regarding this war, based on information found in this book?
Part 3) What are your feelings about war in general now that you have read this book? What can be said about all wars? How are the wars described in this book unique?
Essay Topic 3
Grant came from an encouraging family.
Part 1) How was he encouraged as a child and young adult? How did he feel about this encouragement?
Part 2) How different might Grant's life have been if his parents had not had high hopes for him? How might we all have been affected by this?
Part 3) How have you been encouraged in your own life? How has this influenced your life? How might this affect how you would influence your own children?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)