|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant appointed ______________ commander of the cavalry, believing that body of the military had been underutilized to that point.
2. On another occasion, Grant saw a man drawing water from a tree that had fallen in the river and questioned him before discovering what?
(a) He was deaf.
(b) He was actually a Confederate soldier.
(c) He was actually a slave.
(d) He was actually the Confederate President.
3. The ladies had, until Grant received communiqués from his commanders and read them in front of the ladies, believed what?
(a) The Southern armies were beating the Union and were on the verge of winning the war.
(b) The two armies had come to a truce.
(c) The Confederates had surrendered.
(d) The Northern armies were beating the Confederates and were on the verge of winning the war.
4. Two days later, Grant set up a military trap with several troops apparently exposed to attack, hoping what?
(a) The Confederates would try a similar tactic.
(b) The Confederates would run in the opposite direction.
(c) The Confederates would see through his plan.
(d) The Confederates would use the apparent opportunity.
5. It took a couple of tries to gain control of the fort. What did Grant Grant placed part of the blame for the failed attack?
(a) Weak soldiers.
(b) A lack of ammunitions.
(c) Poor planning.
(d) Free talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant noted that when the ladies learned the truth about the condition of the Confederate Army and that the Union had the upper hand, they began to cry. Besides being upset, why did they cry?
2. Grant said that if the Confederates had time to rest, what would happen?
3. Grant said there was __________ about the campaign to rouse criticism from him.
4. Grant described the men posted at the edge of the river at Chattanooga and said they were accustomed to seeing what?
5. In Chapter 41, Grant toured the area and the first order of business was to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
2. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
3. What did Grant think about this new campaign involving all the troops? Why?
4. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
5. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
6. Describe Grant and Lee at the end of the war. What does this reveal about each man?
7. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
8. Grant travels to Alabama, tours the area, and the first order of business is to create a workable supply line. Why is this the first order of business?
9. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
10. What was necessary to cut off supplies to enemy troops? Is this still an important tactic today? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)