|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 44, Grant described the actual battle. Grant knew that the Confederate Commander ___________ was among those facing the Union Army.
2. In Chapter 63, it became evident that the war was nearing an end. The peace commissioners from the Confederacy arrived in _____________ to meet with Lincoln.
3. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
(a) Rest and recover.
(b) Continue fighting.
(c) Give the Confederates time to rest and recover.
(d) Stay near the Confederates.
4. In Chapter 42, Grant described what?
(a) The troops.
(b) The military situation.
(c) The Confederacy.
(d) His experiences in the war.
5. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
(d) St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant described the condition of Union troops as he arrived at Chattanooga. He said that they had little wood available to them and their clothing was insufficient for the coming winter, but that there was no way to get supplies in until when?
2. The march was grueling and Grant said that everyone had been told to carry only what was necessary, but he saw various items discarded along the way. Why?
3. General Burnside found himself in distress for what?
4. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
5. Each man carried ________ days' supply of food in addition to what was being hauled. As a wagon was emptied, it returned to a base camp where it was again filled with the same load and returned to the army camps.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
2. How did Grant believe his men and General Meade's men should catch up to Lee and his men? Why?
3. How were trenches important in the Battle of the Wilderness? How were they also imperfect?
4. What does Grant note about both the battle at Cold Harbor and Vicksburg? Why does he say this?
5. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
6. Grant said it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he did not want to do so until "the victory is assured." What does this reinforce about Grant's personality?
7. At the surrender of the Confederates, the Union men were energized. Why? Should they have been?
8. What was necessary to cut off supplies to enemy troops? Is this still an important tactic today? Why or why not?
9. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
10. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)