|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
2. On May 16, 1864, Grant sent a letter to Halleck, outlining the poor roads that had become impassable due to what?
(a) A herd of sheep.
(b) Large potholes.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) Heavy rains.
3. Grant was assigned to command the Military Division of _________________.
4. Grant described the details of the first raid of the cavalry under _________________ command.
5. Grant told Sherman in that letter that there were no specific directions forthcoming but urged that he do what?
(a) Create new plans.
(b) Ask for specific directions.
(d) Keep to the general plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book includes a series of footnotes, apparently written by ____________, further explaining sections of the text.
2. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
3. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
4. In Chapter 41, Grant toured the area and the first order of business was to do what?
5. A change in what alerted Grant that there was likely to be a change in tactics, a fact that was soon proven true?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Grant's new plan for moving the troops in tandem become?
2. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
3. General Burnside found himself in distress for rations. How did loyalists help him and his men?
4. Why, in Chapter Fifty-Nine, does Grant step back in time to Sherman's march to the sea?
5. What significant event happened soon after Grant was promoted to Lieutenant General of the Union Army? How was this significant?
6. What did Grant think about this new campaign involving all the troops? Why?
7. How were trenches important in the Battle of the Wilderness? How were they also imperfect?
8. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
9. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
10. At the surrender of the Confederates, the Union men were energized. Why? Should they have been?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)