|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Grant first meet Lee?
(a) Prior to the Civil War.
(b) At the end of the Civil War.
(c) in the middle of the Civil War.
(d) At the beginning of the Civil War.
2. In Chapter 54, Grant said the troops traveling in _________________ were faced with a different kind of country than they'd typically encountered across the south. The roads were in better condition and there was hardly ever a person seen other than those armed with Confederate sympathies.
(b) North Carolina.
3. What was one reason why the South was in chaos?
(a) They had lived for years with the absence of all the able-bodied men.
(b) There were few women left for the men to marry.
(c) They had too many men and not enough jobs.
(d) They had won the war.
4. What did the loyalists soon begin to float on rafts down the river to the Union men?
(b) Confederate captives.
5. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
(a) Political expertise.
(d) Military expertise.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 59, Grant stepped back in time to _____________ and described Sherman's "march to the sea". Grant telegraphed Sherman in early that month, urging that Sherman continue to press the Southern troops.
2. Each man carried ________ days' supply of food in addition to what was being hauled. As a wagon was emptied, it returned to a base camp where it was again filled with the same load and returned to the army camps.
3. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
4. On ____________ 7, 1865, Grant sent Lee a note, saying further fighting would be useless and urging an end to the war.
5. Grant pointed out that Lee was careful not to show what?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)