|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On May 22, Grant issued orders that scouts be sent out in search of what?
(a) The Confederate forces.
(c) Other Union troops.
2. At Grant's request, _________________ was transferred to take over the command of the Army of Tennessee which was headquartered near Grant's location.
3. In Chapter 69, Grant described the capture of Jefferson Davis and the surrender of General _____________.
4. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
5. In Chapter 65, Grant described the battle at _________ Forks and the battles leading up to the final march on Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
2. One of Grant's commanders, General _______________, arrived at a house where Grant was seated on the verandah. The house belonged to Confederate loyalists and Grant was simply waiting there to watch the advance of his men.
3. In Chapter 48, a new campaign got underway, with __________ in command.
4. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
5. Grant was assigned to command the Military Division of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
2. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
3. Grant travels to Alabama, tours the area, and the first order of business is to create a workable supply line. Why is this the first order of business?
4. What did Grant think about this new campaign involving all the troops? Why?
5. How important was slavery to the turmoil and eventual war between the states, according to Grant.
6. Grant urged Thomas to attack Hood's rebel forces. How did Thomas respond? Why did he respond in this way?
7. Describe Grant and Lee at the end of the war. What does this reveal about each man?
8. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
9. What does Grant note about both the battle at Cold Harbor and Vicksburg? Why does he say this?
10. What did Grant's new plan for moving the troops in tandem become?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)