|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lee's forces were discovered, what did Grant learn?
(a) He was planning to resign.
(b) He was in need of reinforcements.
(c) He'd chosen a place to stand and fight that gave him the tactical advantage.
(d) He had many injured soldiers.
2. At Grant's request, _________________ was transferred to take over the command of the Army of Tennessee which was headquartered near Grant's location.
3. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
4. Why was it important that the Union military take control of this fort?
(a) The fort was frequently a meeting place of high ranking Confederate leaders.
(b) The fort was filled with Confederate ammunitions.
(c) The fort was a port of great importance to the Confederates.
(d) The fort was used as a Confederate hospital.
5. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
(d) Santa Fe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
2. The ladies had, until Grant received communiqués from his commanders and read them in front of the ladies, believed what?
3. Were the talks successful?
4. In Chapter 48, a new campaign got underway, with __________ in command.
5. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
2. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
3. Grant urged Thomas to attack Hood's rebel forces. How did Thomas respond? Why did he respond in this way?
4. How did the march to the sea begin? Why is this important?
5. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
6. Describe Grant and Lee at the end of the war. What does this reveal about each man?
7. What was necessary to cut off supplies to enemy troops? Is this still an important tactic today? Why or why not?
8. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
9. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
10. General Burnside found himself in distress for rations. How did loyalists help him and his men?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)