|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 61, Grant detailed the events leading up to the attempts to rout the Confederates from Fort _____________, located near Wilmington.
2. A letter dated _____________, 1864, from Grant to General Meade, indicated Grant's desire that Meade determine when he should withdraw troops from a deadly situation and when to press.
(a) April 3.
(b) August 3.
(c) September 3.
(d) June 3.
3. Nine days later, Grant wrote another letter to Thomas, this time demanding that Thomas do what?
(c) Take cover.
4. Grant told Sherman in that letter that there were no specific directions forthcoming but urged that he do what?
(a) Create new plans.
(b) Keep to the general plan.
(c) Ask for specific directions.
5. In Chapter 44, Grant described the actual battle. Grant knew that the Confederate Commander ___________ was among those facing the Union Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant said that if the Confederates had time to rest, what would happen?
2. The army clashed with Lee's forces at the Battle of ________________, and Grant noted that there were dead and wounded left in a large, wooded area. When the woods caught on fire, there was no way to reach the wounded and those unable to drag themselves away died there.
3. In Chapter 51, Grant looked back on the battle. He said the Union forces were commended for their ability to ___________________, then performing as a unit.
4. The Union troops left behind in ______________ were called on to defend the city from invading Confederate soldiers.
5. In Chapter 48, a new campaign got underway, with __________ in command.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
2. What was most devastating about the Battle of the Wilderness?
3. What significant event happened soon after Grant was promoted to Lieutenant General of the Union Army? How was this significant?
4. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
5. Describe the casualties at the Courthouse at Spotsylvania. Did this affect Grant? Why or why not?
6. When Lee's troops were discovered, what was learned about Lee and his men?
7. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
8. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
9. How did Grant believe his men and General Meade's men should catch up to Lee and his men? Why?
10. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)