|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On May 16, 1864, Grant sent a letter to Halleck, outlining the poor roads that had become impassable due to what?
(a) Heavy rains.
(b) Large potholes.
(c) A herd of sheep.
(d) An earthquake.
2. In Chapter 69, Grant described the capture of Jefferson Davis and the surrender of General _____________.
3. What was one reason why the South was in chaos?
(a) They had won the war.
(b) There were few women left for the men to marry.
(c) They had too many men and not enough jobs.
(d) They had lived for years with the absence of all the able-bodied men.
4. Grant traveled to _______________ where he met with Rosecrans, another commander who had troops in serious distress at Chattanooga.
5. Sherman decided to move first against ________________ and then Savannah.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Union troops left behind in ______________ were called on to defend the city from invading Confederate soldiers.
2. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
3. On ____________ 7, 1865, Grant sent Lee a note, saying further fighting would be useless and urging an end to the war.
4. Grant outlined a letter from ____________ who expressed gratitude for Grant having played an important role in the war situation at Chattanooga.
5. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Grant think about this new campaign involving all the troops? Why?
2. Grant urged Thomas to attack Hood's rebel forces. How did Thomas respond? Why did he respond in this way?
3. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
4. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
5. Why, in Chapter Fifty-Nine, does Grant step back in time to Sherman's march to the sea?
6. How were trenches important in the Battle of the Wilderness? How were they also imperfect?
7. Grant travels to Alabama, tours the area, and the first order of business is to create a workable supply line. Why is this the first order of business?
8. General Burnside found himself in distress for rations. How did loyalists help him and his men?
9. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
10. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)