|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 49, Sherman advanced into Georgia and the siege of ______________ was outlined.
2. Grant described the condition of Union troops as he arrived at Chattanooga. He said that they had little wood available to them and their clothing was insufficient for the coming winter, but that there was no way to get supplies in until when?
(b) The war ended.
(c) The reinforcements arrived.
(d) The President arrived.
3. In Chapter 45, Grant was moved to ____________ and established a headquarters there.
4. Grant traveled to _______________ where he met with Rosecrans, another commander who had troops in serious distress at Chattanooga.
5. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
(a) Political expertise.
(d) Military expertise.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
2. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
3. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
4. The march was grueling and Grant said that everyone had been told to carry only what was necessary, but he saw various items discarded along the way. Why?
5. On May 22, Grant issued orders that scouts be sent out in search of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
2. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
3. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
4. How were trenches important in the Battle of the Wilderness? How were they also imperfect?
5. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
6. How did the march to the sea begin? Why is this important?
7. What did Grant think about this new campaign involving all the troops? Why?
8. Why, in Chapter Fifty-Nine, does Grant step back in time to Sherman's march to the sea?
9. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
10. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)