|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one of those letters, Grant urged Thomas to attack whose rebel forces in Nashville or risk losing the ground he'd gained as far as Chattanooga?
2. A change in what alerted Grant that there was likely to be a change in tactics, a fact that was soon proven true?
(a) Confederate capitals.
(b) Confederate commanders.
(c) Union commanders.
(d) Confederate Presidents.
3. In Chapter 53, Grant recommended _____________ of his officers for promotion.
(a) Very few.
4. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
5. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant said that the army always created a ___________ fronted with a compilation of wood and dirt whenever they stopped, even if just for the night.
2. Lee moved his center of operations leaving an entire Union regiment without what?
3. When did Grant first meet Lee?
4. In Chapter 55, the troops under Sheridan's command advanced on __________ Harbor but the Confederates, knowing that the position was one of tactical importance to the Union Army, were determined to hold it.
5. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
2. What was necessary to cut off supplies to enemy troops? Is this still an important tactic today? Why or why not?
3. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
4. What was most devastating about the Battle of the Wilderness?
5. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
6. What does Grant note about both the battle at Cold Harbor and Vicksburg? Why does he say this?
7. How did the march to the sea begin? Why is this important?
8. What significant event happened soon after Grant was promoted to Lieutenant General of the Union Army? How was this significant?
9. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
10. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)