|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what role did Grant meet Lincoln for the first time?
(a) He was General in command of the Union Army.
(b) He was Commander-in-Chief in command of the Union Army.
(c) He was Lieutenant Colonel in command of the Union Army.
(d) He was Lieutenant General in command of the Union Army.
2. In Chapter 69, Grant described the capture of Jefferson Davis and the surrender of General _____________.
3. In Chapter 43, Sherman was ordered to prepare to attack _________________ and he successfully maneuvered into position.
4. Grant and other officers were within full view - and rifle range - of the Confederates one day. Did the enemy shoot at them?
(a) No, never.
(b) Yes, many times.
(c) Yes, a couple of times.
(d) Yes, one time.
5. In Chapter 54, Grant said the troops traveling in _________________ were faced with a different kind of country than they'd typically encountered across the south. The roads were in better condition and there was hardly ever a person seen other than those armed with Confederate sympathies.
(c) North Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant said there was __________ about the campaign to rouse criticism from him.
2. Grant said the Confederate losses were bound to be higher and outlined his plans to do what?
3. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
4. Nine days later, Grant wrote another letter to Thomas, this time demanding that Thomas do what?
5. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant travels to Alabama, tours the area, and the first order of business is to create a workable supply line. Why is this the first order of business?
2. What significant event happened soon after Grant was promoted to Lieutenant General of the Union Army? How was this significant?
3. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
4. Grant tells a story about Confederate Commander Bragg. Why does he tell this story?
5. When Lee's troops were discovered, what was learned about Lee and his men?
6. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
7. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
8. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
9. What was most devastating about the Battle of the Wilderness?
10. How did the march to the sea begin? Why is this important?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)