|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Union tried to secure railroads in areas they controlled but the Confederates managed to do what anyway?
(a) Take over the tracks.
(b) Destroy tracks.
(c) Reroute trains.
(d) Hijack trains.
2. In Chapter 54, Grant said the troops traveling in _________________ were faced with a different kind of country than they'd typically encountered across the south. The roads were in better condition and there was hardly ever a person seen other than those armed with Confederate sympathies.
(d) North Carolina.
3. Nine days later, Grant wrote another letter to Thomas, this time demanding that Thomas do what?
(b) Take cover.
4. Was the request granted?
(a) Yes, but not until several days later.
(c) Yes, but not until many hours later.
(d) Yes, right away.
5. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
(b) St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. On ____________ 7, 1865, Grant sent Lee a note, saying further fighting would be useless and urging an end to the war.
2. In Chapter 58, Grant described additional advances with Sheridan's troops and his victory at the ______________.
3. A change in what alerted Grant that there was likely to be a change in tactics, a fact that was soon proven true?
4. Grant told a story about __________ that he said epitomized the man's character.
5. What was one reason why the South was in chaos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
2. How did Grant believe his men and General Meade's men should catch up to Lee and his men? Why?
3. When Lee's troops were discovered, what was learned about Lee and his men?
4. General Burnside found himself in distress for rations. How did loyalists help him and his men?
5. Describe the casualties at the Courthouse at Spotsylvania. Did this affect Grant? Why or why not?
6. Grant urged Thomas to attack Hood's rebel forces. How did Thomas respond? Why did he respond in this way?
7. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
8. At the surrender of the Confederates, the Union men were energized. Why? Should they have been?
9. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
10. Grant travels to Alabama, tours the area, and the first order of business is to create a workable supply line. Why is this the first order of business?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)