|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant ordered a commander named General _________ to begin rebuilding the railroad though they have only primitive tools and this general's abilities with which to work.
2. In Chapter 67, Grant described the peace negotiations at ________________ and the terms of surrender that came from that meeting.
(a) Arkansas Post.
3. The army clashed with Lee's forces at the Battle of ________________, and Grant noted that there were dead and wounded left in a large, wooded area. When the woods caught on fire, there was no way to reach the wounded and those unable to drag themselves away died there.
(a) The Bulge.
(b) The Wilderness.
(c) The Marne.
(d) Chalk Bluff.
4. The book includes a series of footnotes, apparently written by ____________, further explaining sections of the text.
5. On ____________ 7, 1865, Grant sent Lee a note, saying further fighting would be useless and urging an end to the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 60, Grant wrote to Major General Thomas from Grant's headquarters in City Point, _______________, in early December.
2. The march began with a supply of _________ days' rations, a supply of ammunition and a herd of cattle being driven along with the army.
3. In Chapter 55, the troops under Sheridan's command advanced on __________ Harbor but the Confederates, knowing that the position was one of tactical importance to the Union Army, were determined to hold it.
4. In Chapter 61, Grant detailed the events leading up to the attempts to rout the Confederates from Fort _____________, located near Wilmington.
5. The Confederates attacked a section of the Union forces repeatedly but were turned away each time, and Grant noted what about the Confederates?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)