|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
(a) Santa Fe.
2. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
3. What was one reason why the South was in chaos?
(a) There were few women left for the men to marry.
(b) They had too many men and not enough jobs.
(c) They had won the war.
(d) They had lived for years with the absence of all the able-bodied men.
4. Why was it important that the Union military take control of this fort?
(a) The fort was filled with Confederate ammunitions.
(b) The fort was frequently a meeting place of high ranking Confederate leaders.
(c) The fort was a port of great importance to the Confederates.
(d) The fort was used as a Confederate hospital.
5. The march was grueling and Grant said that everyone had been told to carry only what was necessary, but he saw various items discarded along the way. Why?
(a) The items had spoiled.
(b) Mice had gotten into their packs.
(c) In soldiers' efforts to lighten their loads.
(d) The men were not hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. On ____________ 7, 1865, Grant sent Lee a note, saying further fighting would be useless and urging an end to the war.
2. The march began with a supply of _________ days' rations, a supply of ammunition and a herd of cattle being driven along with the army.
3. In Chapter 63, it became evident that the war was nearing an end. The peace commissioners from the Confederacy arrived in _____________ to meet with Lincoln.
4. The army clashed with Lee's forces at the Battle of ________________, and Grant noted that there were dead and wounded left in a large, wooded area. When the woods caught on fire, there was no way to reach the wounded and those unable to drag themselves away died there.
5. In Chapter 65, Grant described the battle at _________ Forks and the battles leading up to the final march on Petersburg.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the casualties at the Courthouse at Spotsylvania. Did this affect Grant? Why or why not?
2. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
3. How did the march to the sea begin? Why is this important?
4. What significant event happened soon after Grant was promoted to Lieutenant General of the Union Army? How was this significant?
5. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
6. What was most devastating about the Battle of the Wilderness?
7. General Burnside found himself in distress for rations. How did loyalists help him and his men?
8. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
9. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
10. Describe Grant and Lee at the end of the war. What does this reveal about each man?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)