|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lee moved his center of operations leaving an entire Union regiment without what?
(b) A plan of attack.
(c) An enemy to face.
2. In Chapter 49, Sherman advanced into Georgia and the siege of ______________ was outlined.
3. Grant said that the army always created a ___________ fronted with a compilation of wood and dirt whenever they stopped, even if just for the night.
4. The Union tried to secure railroads in areas they controlled but the Confederates managed to do what anyway?
(a) Destroy tracks.
(b) Hijack trains.
(c) Take over the tracks.
(d) Reroute trains.
5. In Chapter 43, Sherman was ordered to prepare to attack _________________ and he successfully maneuvered into position.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Grant first meet Lee?
2. Grant had another meeting with Lincoln and when Grant outlined his plan and reason for advancing, Lincoln said that he understood and compared it to a saying he'd heard, "If a man can't skin he must hold ___________ while somebody else does".
3. Grant said that if the Confederates had time to rest, what would happen?
4. In Chapter 63, it became evident that the war was nearing an end. The peace commissioners from the Confederacy arrived in _____________ to meet with Lincoln.
5. In Chapter 56, Grant faced the problem of what and was forced to move a flank to cut off Lee's movement to Richmond?
Short Essay Questions
1. How important was slavery to the turmoil and eventual war between the states, according to Grant.
2. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
3. General Burnside found himself in distress for rations. How did loyalists help him and his men?
4. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
5. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
6. When Lee's troops were discovered, what was learned about Lee and his men?
7. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
8. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
9. How did the march to the sea begin? Why is this important?
10. Describe the casualties at the Courthouse at Spotsylvania. Did this affect Grant? Why or why not?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)