|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant told Sherman in that letter that there were no specific directions forthcoming but urged that he do what?
(a) Ask for specific directions.
(b) Create new plans.
(d) Keep to the general plan.
2. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
3. What was one reason why the South was in chaos?
(a) They had too many men and not enough jobs.
(b) There were few women left for the men to marry.
(c) They had won the war.
(d) They had lived for years with the absence of all the able-bodied men.
4. Grant was assigned to command the Military Division of _________________.
5. Grant said that the army always created a ___________ fronted with a compilation of wood and dirt whenever they stopped, even if just for the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant described the condition of Union troops as he arrived at Chattanooga. He said that they had little wood available to them and their clothing was insufficient for the coming winter, but that there was no way to get supplies in until when?
2. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
3. In Chapter 63, it became evident that the war was nearing an end. The peace commissioners from the Confederacy arrived in _____________ to meet with Lincoln.
4. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
5. The march was grueling and Grant said that everyone had been told to carry only what was necessary, but he saw various items discarded along the way. Why?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)