|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant outlined a letter from ____________ who expressed gratitude for Grant having played an important role in the war situation at Chattanooga.
2. Grant said the Confederate losses were bound to be higher and outlined his plans to do what?
(a) Contact the families of those who had died.
(c) Convince the Confederates to surrender.
(d) Continue the attack, even if it took the entire summer.
3. In Chapter 60, Grant wrote to Major General Thomas from Grant's headquarters in City Point, _______________, in early December.
(b) North Carolina.
(d) South Carolina.
4. In Chapter 48, a new campaign got underway, with __________ in command.
5. Were the talks successful?
(a) Yes, immediately.
(c) Yes, but not immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what role did Grant meet Lincoln for the first time?
2. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
3. In Chapter 61, Grant detailed the events leading up to the attempts to rout the Confederates from Fort _____________, located near Wilmington.
4. The book includes a series of footnotes, apparently written by ____________, further explaining sections of the text.
5. In Chapter 45, Grant was moved to ____________ and established a headquarters there.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
2. What does Grant note about both the battle at Cold Harbor and Vicksburg? Why does he say this?
3. What was necessary to cut off supplies to enemy troops? Is this still an important tactic today? Why or why not?
4. Grant urged Thomas to attack Hood's rebel forces. How did Thomas respond? Why did he respond in this way?
5. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
6. Grant said it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he did not want to do so until "the victory is assured." What does this reinforce about Grant's personality?
7. Describe Grant and Lee at the end of the war. What does this reveal about each man?
8. How were trenches important in the Battle of the Wilderness? How were they also imperfect?
9. At the surrender of the Confederates, the Union men were energized. Why? Should they have been?
10. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)