|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one reason why the South was in chaos?
(a) There were few women left for the men to marry.
(b) They had won the war.
(c) They had lived for years with the absence of all the able-bodied men.
(d) They had too many men and not enough jobs.
2. In Chapter 43, Sherman was ordered to prepare to attack _________________ and he successfully maneuvered into position.
3. Grant joined up with General Meade and said their next goal would be to do what?
(b) Get ahead of Lee rather than pursuing his retreat.
(c) Organize a peace treaty.
(d) Pursue Lee's retreat rather than get ahead of him.
4. Grant described the details of the first raid of the cavalry under _________________ command.
5. Grant had another meeting with Lincoln and when Grant outlined his plan and reason for advancing, Lincoln said that he understood and compared it to a saying he'd heard, "If a man can't skin he must hold ___________ while somebody else does".
(a) A leg.
(b) An arm.
(c) The animal.
(d) The fur.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 53, Grant recommended _____________ of his officers for promotion.
2. Grant described the men posted at the edge of the river at Chattanooga and said they were accustomed to seeing what?
3. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
4. Was the request granted?
5. The Union tried to secure railroads in areas they controlled but the Confederates managed to do what anyway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Grant's new plan for moving the troops in tandem become?
2. Why, in Chapter Fifty-Nine, does Grant step back in time to Sherman's march to the sea?
3. Grant travels to Alabama, tours the area, and the first order of business is to create a workable supply line. Why is this the first order of business?
4. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
5. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
6. Grant said it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he did not want to do so until "the victory is assured." What does this reinforce about Grant's personality?
7. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
8. Grant urged Thomas to attack Hood's rebel forces. How did Thomas respond? Why did he respond in this way?
9. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
10. When Lee's troops were discovered, what was learned about Lee and his men?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)