|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 49, Sherman advanced into Georgia and the siege of ______________ was outlined.
2. Why was it important that the Union military take control of this fort?
(a) The fort was filled with Confederate ammunitions.
(b) The fort was used as a Confederate hospital.
(c) The fort was frequently a meeting place of high ranking Confederate leaders.
(d) The fort was a port of great importance to the Confederates.
3. In Chapter 60, Grant wrote to Major General Thomas from Grant's headquarters in City Point, _______________, in early December.
(a) North Carolina.
(d) South Carolina.
4. In Chapter 43, Sherman was ordered to prepare to attack _________________ and he successfully maneuvered into position.
5. It took a couple of tries to gain control of the fort. What did Grant Grant placed part of the blame for the failed attack?
(a) Poor planning.
(b) Weak soldiers.
(c) Free talk.
(d) A lack of ammunitions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
2. The army clashed with Lee's forces at the Battle of ________________, and Grant noted that there were dead and wounded left in a large, wooded area. When the woods caught on fire, there was no way to reach the wounded and those unable to drag themselves away died there.
3. Grant pointed out that Lee was careful not to show what?
4. Grant was assigned to command the Military Division of _________________.
5. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was necessary to cut off supplies to enemy troops? Is this still an important tactic today? Why or why not?
2. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
3. How were trenches important in the Battle of the Wilderness? How were they also imperfect?
4. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
5. General Burnside found himself in distress for rations. How did loyalists help him and his men?
6. What was most devastating about the Battle of the Wilderness?
7. How did the march to the sea begin? Why is this important?
8. Describe Grant and Lee at the end of the war. What does this reveal about each man?
9. Grant travels to Alabama, tours the area, and the first order of business is to create a workable supply line. Why is this the first order of business?
10. What did Grant's new plan for moving the troops in tandem become?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)