|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ladies had, until Grant received communiqués from his commanders and read them in front of the ladies, believed what?
(a) The Northern armies were beating the Confederates and were on the verge of winning the war.
(b) The Southern armies were beating the Union and were on the verge of winning the war.
(c) The Confederates had surrendered.
(d) The two armies had come to a truce.
2. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
3. Grant joined up with General Meade and said their next goal would be to do what?
(a) Organize a peace treaty.
(b) Get ahead of Lee rather than pursuing his retreat.
(d) Pursue Lee's retreat rather than get ahead of him.
4. What did the loyalists soon begin to float on rafts down the river to the Union men?
(b) Confederate captives.
5. In Chapter 44, Grant described the actual battle. Grant knew that the Confederate Commander ___________ was among those facing the Union Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Grant first meet Lee?
2. Grant outlined a letter from ____________ who expressed gratitude for Grant having played an important role in the war situation at Chattanooga.
3. In Chapter 42, Grant described what?
4. In Chapter 65, Grant described the battle at _________ Forks and the battles leading up to the final march on Petersburg.
5. One of Grant's commanders, General _______________, arrived at a house where Grant was seated on the verandah. The house belonged to Confederate loyalists and Grant was simply waiting there to watch the advance of his men.
Short Essay Questions
1. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
2. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
3. How did Grant believe his men and General Meade's men should catch up to Lee and his men? Why?
4. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
5. Grant urged Thomas to attack Hood's rebel forces. How did Thomas respond? Why did he respond in this way?
6. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
7. How important was slavery to the turmoil and eventual war between the states, according to Grant.
8. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
9. When Lee's troops were discovered, what was learned about Lee and his men?
10. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)