|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 54, Grant said the troops traveling in _________________ were faced with a different kind of country than they'd typically encountered across the south. The roads were in better condition and there was hardly ever a person seen other than those armed with Confederate sympathies.
(b) North Carolina.
2. Each man carried ________ days' supply of food in addition to what was being hauled. As a wagon was emptied, it returned to a base camp where it was again filled with the same load and returned to the army camps.
3. Lee moved his center of operations leaving an entire Union regiment without what?
(b) An enemy to face.
(d) A plan of attack.
4. In Chapter 61, Grant detailed the events leading up to the attempts to rout the Confederates from Fort _____________, located near Wilmington.
5. In one of those letters, Grant urged Thomas to attack whose rebel forces in Nashville or risk losing the ground he'd gained as far as Chattanooga?
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant was assigned to command the Military Division of _________________.
2. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
3. A letter dated _____________, 1864, from Grant to General Meade, indicated Grant's desire that Meade determine when he should withdraw troops from a deadly situation and when to press.
4. Two days later, Grant set up a military trap with several troops apparently exposed to attack, hoping what?
5. What did the loyalists soon begin to float on rafts down the river to the Union men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
2. Why did the Confederate women cry when they learned that the Union had the upper hand in the war?
3. What does Grant note about both the battle at Cold Harbor and Vicksburg? Why does he say this?
4. Describe Grant and Lee at the end of the war. What does this reveal about each man?
5. At the surrender of the Confederates, the Union men were energized. Why? Should they have been?
6. Why did Lee ask about terms for surrender? Are you surprised by this?
7. How did Grant believe his men and General Meade's men should catch up to Lee and his men? Why?
8. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
9. What was most devastating about the Battle of the Wilderness?
10. Grant urged Thomas to attack Hood's rebel forces. How did Thomas respond? Why did he respond in this way?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)