|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Grant first meet Lee?
(a) At the end of the Civil War.
(b) Prior to the Civil War.
(c) At the beginning of the Civil War.
(d) in the middle of the Civil War.
2. Grant told a story about __________ that he said epitomized the man's character.
3. In Chapter 58, Grant described additional advances with Sheridan's troops and his victory at the ______________.
(d) Stones River.
4. Each man carried ________ days' supply of food in addition to what was being hauled. As a wagon was emptied, it returned to a base camp where it was again filled with the same load and returned to the army camps.
5. On another occasion, Grant saw a man drawing water from a tree that had fallen in the river and questioned him before discovering what?
(a) He was actually the Confederate President.
(b) He was actually a Confederate soldier.
(c) He was deaf.
(d) He was actually a slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 43, Sherman was ordered to prepare to attack _________________ and he successfully maneuvered into position.
2. Grant outlined a letter from ____________ who expressed gratitude for Grant having played an important role in the war situation at Chattanooga.
3. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
4. In Chapter 55, the troops under Sheridan's command advanced on __________ Harbor but the Confederates, knowing that the position was one of tactical importance to the Union Army, were determined to hold it.
5. In Chapter 69, Grant described the capture of Jefferson Davis and the surrender of General _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. At the surrender of the Confederates, the Union men were energized. Why? Should they have been?
2. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
3. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
4. Grant outlines troops, their positions and their strengths under specific commanders. What is the reason Grant does this?
5. What was necessary to cut off supplies to enemy troops? Is this still an important tactic today? Why or why not?
6. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
7. Describe Grant and Lee at the end of the war. What does this reveal about each man?
8. What significant event happened soon after Grant was promoted to Lieutenant General of the Union Army? How was this significant?
9. What did Grant think about this new campaign involving all the troops? Why?
10. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)