|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant's father, Jesse R. Grant, was the ________ son of his family.
2. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
3. Did Grant believe that he would be brave enough to fight a duel?
(a) No, never.
(b) Yes, maybe.
(c) Yes, of course.
(d) Yes, if he had no other choice.
4. In Chapter 20, Grant's troops came under fire for the first time at Belmont and he said they reacted how?
(a) Like volunteers.
(b) Like children.
(c) Like old men.
(d) Like veteran fighters.
5. In Chapter 22, Grant planned to attack Fort Donelson but was hampered by what?
(c) Heavy rains.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, Grant said Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston was wounded at Shiloh and, refusing to give up his command because _________________, remained on his horse until he was so weak from loss of blood that he died.
2. Where was Grant born?
3. In Chapter 31, Grant's headquarters were moved to ___________ Springs.
4. The fighting continued and Grant described in detail the movements of the men and the ________-hour battle at Champion's Hill.
5. Grant said General Rosecrans, who had not been successful at Corinth, did what in his advance again upon Corinth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sherman wrote to Grant's superior, seeking to force Grant to heed the advice of other commanders. What does this reveal about Grant?
2. Grant attended a bull fight. How did he feel about this? Why might he have felt this way?
3. In Chapter Sixteen, Grant resigned from the military. Why might he have done this?
4. How did Grant feel about attending West Point? Why might he have felt this way?
5. Grant described the use of the trenches at Vicksburg. How were trenches useful? How were they used in later wars?
6. Describe the death of General Albert Sidney Johnston. Why might he have told this story?
7. Prior to the Mexican War, Grant noted that the presence of U.S. soldiers was supposed to provoke an attack by the Mexicans but it did not. Why might they not have attacked?
8. Grant was named Brigadier-General and said he was surprised by the promotion. Why might he have been surprised?
9. Grant talked about the lack of trust the Indians had in the whites. Why did they not trust the white man?
10. Grant received orders from General Halleck to change his position. Did Grant do this? Why or why not?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)