Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant planned to do a short stint in the military before doing what?
(c) Taking over his family's business.
(d) Going to medical school.
2. Grant said General Rosecrans, who had not been successful at Corinth, did what in his advance again upon Corinth?
(a) Took too few troops.
(b) Not provide enough rations for the trip.
(c) Took a very exposed route.
(d) Took the wrong road.
3. A Confederate officer later said that he'd pointed Grant out to his men, saying that they were welcome to shoot him. Did anyone shoot at him?
(a) Yes, several times.
(c) Yes, only once.
(d) Yes, but the shots purposely missed.
4. Sherman questioned __________ Grant had planned after the siege at Vicksburg.
(a) A meeting.
(b) An advance.
(c) A retreat.
(d) A campaign.
5. In Chapter 22, Grant planned to attack Fort Donelson but was hampered by what?
(c) Heavy rains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant said that he looked back on the taking of "the City of Mexico" and could see that the troops should have done what?
2. In Chapter 38, why did the siege end?
3. Grant said the Confederate troops were driven steadily back and eventually retreated. Grant said the victory was cinched by the arrival of whom?
4. Grant described an incident in which who was apparently killed but was later seen watching another fight?
5. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, in Chapter Fifty-Nine, does Grant step back in time to Sherman's march to the sea?
2. How did Grant believe his men and General Meade's men should catch up to Lee and his men? Why?
3. Grant was named Brigadier-General and said he was surprised by the promotion. Why might he have been surprised?
4. How did Grant feel about attending West Point? Why might he have felt this way?
5. What happened when Grant requested from Lee that a temporary truce take place to remove the dead and wounded? Why did this happen?
6. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
7. Grant was disappointed by the reaction of others in San Francisco to him in uniform. Why might he have felt this way?
8. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
9. Describe Grant and Lee at the end of the war. What does this reveal about each man?
10. What happened in January when the peace commissioners came to meet with Lincoln? Why might this have happened?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)