|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant's father, Jesse R. Grant, was the ________ son of his family.
2. Who taunted Grant?
(a) A ragged child.
(b) Another soldier.
(c) The governor of California.
(d) Most people with whom Grant came into contact in San Francisco.
3. The Confederates destroyed Union supplies intended for Grant's army and he sent troops out in widening circles to gather what?
(d) Everything they could find.
4. In Chapter 17, states continued to secede from the Union and the Civil War broke out in ________ of 1861.
5. In Chapter 39, Grant outlined a plan to assault ___________ that was eventually vetoed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant contrasted General _______ with General Taylor.
2. In Chapter 28, Grant described the battle of _________. Grant said that he wasn't pleased with the results.
3. In Chapter 18, Grant left Galena as commander of the _______ Regiment.
4. As Grant made the journey, he encountered a Union loyalist, Mr. ___________, who said there were Confederates in the area and that a neighbor, a Southern sympathizer, was certain to report Grant's presence.
5. In Chapter 27, Grant moved to _______________, where he set up headquarters.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the death of General Albert Sidney Johnston. Why might he have told this story?
2. Grant asked to be assigned to the cavalry but was assigned to the infantry. What is the difference between these two military groups? Why might he have wanted to be a part of the cavalry?
3. Grant said that once the City of Mexico fell, it seemed that a long-term occupation would be necessary. Why might he believe this?
4. Grant received orders to support the army with the possessions of those favoring the Southern cause. Why was he given these orders.
5. Grant was named Brigadier-General and said he was surprised by the promotion. Why might he have been surprised?
6. How did Grant feel about being involved in the Mexican War? Why might he have felt this way?
7. In Chapter Sixteen, Grant resigned from the military. Why might he have done this?
8. Grant described the use of the trenches at Vicksburg. How were trenches useful? How were they used in later wars?
9. Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking their fortunes in gold. How might this gold rush still be seen today?
10. Grant's troops came under fire for the first time at Belmont and he said they acted like veteran fighters. Why might they have fought so well?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)