|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant said that once the city fell, it seemed that long-term occupation would be _____________.
2. In Chapter 31, Grant's headquarters were moved to ___________ Springs.
3. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
4. Davis had orders that Grant would return to St. Louis where Grant discovered that he was to take command of what?
(a) The large district in Illinois and Indiana.
(b) The large district in Illinois.
(c) The large district in Missouri and Illinois.
(d) The large district in Missouri and Nebraska.
5. The military moved to Vera Cruz where the Americans beat at the city's walls until General ____________, the commander of the city, surrendered and General Scott's forces moved into the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Confederate officer later said that he'd pointed Grant out to his men, saying that they were welcome to shoot him. Did anyone shoot at him?
2. While the United States wanted a war with Mexico over disputed territory, Grant said what was important?
3. Grant talked about the Indians, saying that the trades between Indians and whites had originally been done in ___________, but business had moved to silver half-dollars.
4. The move was prompted, in part, by the proximity of whom?
5. Former slaves join up with the army and Grant's orders were to allow them to remain within the protection of the military, as long as the slaves do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Grant journeyed to Memphis, he encountered a Union loyalist who warned him of a neighbor who was a Southern sympathizer. What does this reveal about the difficulties involved in fighting a civil war?
2. Grant believed that a "bloodless advance to Atlanta, to Vicksburg, or to any other desired point south of Corinth" would have been possible, but the advantage was never pressed. Why not?
3. Grant was named Brigadier-General and said he was surprised by the promotion. Why might he have been surprised?
4. Grant planned to attack Fort Donelson and predicted little opposition from the fort's commander. Why? What does this reveal about Grant?
5. Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of relief. Why was there a sense of relief?
6. Grant received orders to support the army with the possessions of those favoring the Southern cause. Why was he given these orders.
7. Grant's troops came under fire for the first time at Belmont and he said they acted like veteran fighters. Why might they have fought so well?
8. Grant arrived with the army at Pittsburg Landing and believed neither Pittsburg Landing nor Crump's Landing could be lost. Why?
9. Grant asked to be assigned to the cavalry but was assigned to the infantry. What is the difference between these two military groups? Why might he have wanted to be a part of the cavalry?
10. How did Grant feel about being involved in the Mexican War? Why might he have felt this way?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)