|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant talked about the Indians, saying that the trades between Indians and whites had originally been done in ___________, but business had moved to silver half-dollars.
2. Who was Nicholas P. Trist?
(a) A U.S. representative charged with negotiating a peace treaty.
(b) A U.S. civilian who risked his life to get important information to Grant.
(c) A U.S. soldier who was a POW in Mexico.
(d) A Christian missionary who translated during the peace treaty.
3. Grant's situation changed yet again and he assumed the role of district commander in ______ Tennessee.
4. Grant said that once the city fell, it seemed that long-term occupation would be _____________.
5. Grant said General Rosecrans, who had not been successful at Corinth, did what in his advance again upon Corinth?
(a) Took the wrong road.
(b) Not provide enough rations for the trip.
(c) Took too few troops.
(d) Took a very exposed route.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant said that he looked back on the taking of "the City of Mexico" and could see that the troops should have done what?
2. Grant planned to do a short stint in the military before doing what?
3. Grant noted after the surrender of Vicksburg that the men taken prisoner did what regarding the Union Army?
4. In Chapter 26, the Union troops advanced on _____________, Mississippi, and soon reported that the city had been captured.
5. Why did Grant object to attending West Point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant travels to Alabama, tours the area, and the first order of business is to create a workable supply line. Why is this the first order of business?
2. Grant was disappointed by the reaction of others in San Francisco to him in uniform. Why might he have felt this way?
3. Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking their fortunes in gold. How might this gold rush still be seen today?
4. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
5. Describe the casualties at the Courthouse at Spotsylvania. Did this affect Grant? Why or why not?
6. One day, Grant and other officers were within shooting range of Confederate soldiers. Did the soldiers shoot at them? Why or why not?
7. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
8. In Chapter Twenty-Nine, troops supporting Grant at Corinth were moved out. How did this affect Grant? What might he have thought of this maneuver?
9. Grant received orders to support the army with the possessions of those favoring the Southern cause. Why was he given these orders.
10. How did the march to the sea begin? Why is this important?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)