Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ulysses S. Grant's mother was ______________ and her family was from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and he knew little about her parentage.
(a) Harriet Smith.
(b) Henrietta Sawyer.
(c) Hillary Scott.
(d) Hannah Simpson.
2. Grant cited the nature of the fort's commander and predicted what?
(a) A great deal of opposition.
(b) No opposition.
(c) Quite a bit of opposition.
(d) Little opposition.
3. In Chapter 36, Grant said the campaign had been successful in doing what?
(a) Physically splitting two important Confederate troops.
(b) Weakening the morale of the Confederates.
(c) Gaining more supporters of the northern cause.
(d) Giving him a sense of purpose.
4. In Chapter 12, Grant was promoted to _________________.
(a) Second lieutenant.
(b) Lieutenant general.
(c) First lieutenant.
(d) Lieutenant colonel.
5. In Chapter 25, Grant said Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston was wounded at Shiloh and, refusing to give up his command because _________________, remained on his horse until he was so weak from loss of blood that he died.
(a) He wanted to beat the Union soldiers.
(b) The wound was not severe.
(c) He was not willing to give up control.
(d) There was no one to take over.
Short Answer Questions
1. The military regiment left Corpus Christi and Grant was promoted to ______________.
2. Did Grant know everything there was to know about the war being waged in Mexico?
3. In Chapter 15, Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking what?
4. On ____________, Grant issued a series of orders, including an order sending John A. McClernand to the right wing, Sherman to the left, and James B. McPherson at the middle.
5. He described breaking ________ for working with the military.
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant arrived with the army at Pittsburg Landing and believed neither Pittsburg Landing nor Crump's Landing could be lost. Why?
2. General Burnside found himself in distress for rations. How did loyalists help him and his men?
3. How were trenches important in the Battle of the Wilderness? How were they also imperfect?
4. Grant said that once the City of Mexico fell, it seemed that a long-term occupation would be necessary. Why might he believe this?
5. How were traveling conditions in Virginia different than other parts of the country in which the troops had traveled?
6. Grant describes the pressure of public opinion. How is public opinion even more important in military operations today?
7. Grant attended a bull fight. How did he feel about this? Why might he have felt this way?
8. Grant talked about the lack of trust the Indians had in the whites. Why did they not trust the white man?
9. How does Grant contrast General Scott with General Taylor?
10. How did Grant feel about attending West Point? Why might he have felt this way?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)