|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On ____________, Grant issued a series of orders, including an order sending John A. McClernand to the right wing, Sherman to the left, and James B. McPherson at the middle.
(a) September 20, 1863.
(b) April 20, 1863.
(c) November 20, 1863.
(d) May 20, 1863.
2. Grant built a house and sought to make a living from what?
(a) Teaching at a local school.
(b) The land.
(d) Owning a general store.
3. In Chapter 12, Grant was promoted to _________________.
(a) Lieutenant colonel.
(b) Second lieutenant.
(c) Lieutenant general.
(d) First lieutenant.
4. Did Grant know everything there was to know about the war being waged in Mexico?
5. In Chapter 30, Grant described the battle at Vicksburg and Sherman's advance along the ___________ River.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant's time at West Point and in the military meant that he knew who?
2. Grant received orders from General Halleck to change his position, but Grant did not. Why did he not obey?
3. Grant's situation changed yet again and he assumed the role of district commander in ______ Tennessee.
4. In Chapter 14, Grant married who?
5. Grant said he worked hard, but in 1858, he became ill with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Grant feel about his men? How might he have benefited from this?
2. Grant asked to be assigned to the cavalry but was assigned to the infantry. What is the difference between these two military groups? Why might he have wanted to be a part of the cavalry?
3. What is Grant promise Lincoln? Why did he make this promise?
4. Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of relief. Why was there a sense of relief?
5. Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking their fortunes in gold. How might this gold rush still be seen today?
6. Describe the death of General Albert Sidney Johnston. Why might he have told this story?
7. What did Grant think about this new campaign involving all the troops? Why?
8. Why did Lincoln recall the saying that "If a man can't skin he must hold a leg while somebody else does?"
9. How does Grant contrast General Scott with General Taylor?
10. Why was Fort Fisher important? Why does Grant say it took so long to take this fort?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)