|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The assault on the town that is the answer to #82 resulted in ______________ losses.
2. Grant described the use of the ____________ at this siege.
3. The Confederates destroyed Union supplies intended for Grant's army and he sent troops out in widening circles to gather what?
(a) Everything they could find.
4. Why did Grant object to attending West Point?
(a) He feared he could not pass.
(b) His family did not have the money to send him to West Point.
(c) He did not want to be in the military.
(d) He did not want to attend college.
5. Grant noted after the surrender of Vicksburg that the men taken prisoner did what regarding the Union Army?
(a) They ignored them.
(b) They talked and mingled with them.
(c) They teased and taunted them.
(d) They begged them to let them go free.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eventually, Grant was ordered to San Francisco. When Grant's uniform first arrived, he put it on and went out in public. Why?
2. After Grant enlisted in the army at the beginning of the Civil War, the women of Galena asked him to describe what in detail?
3. In Chapter 13, Grant attended ________________ and said he didn't understand why people enjoyed the sport.
4. What does Grant say about a fight at Molino del Rey?
5. In Chapter 15, Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Former slaves join up with the army. What were Grant's orders? What does this reveal about him?
2. Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking their fortunes in gold. How might this gold rush still be seen today?
3. Sherman wrote to Grant's superior, seeking to force Grant to heed the advice of other commanders. What does this reveal about Grant?
4. Grant was disappointed by the reaction of others in San Francisco to him in uniform. Why might he have felt this way?
5. Grant describes the pressure of public opinion. How is public opinion even more important in military operations today?
6. Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of relief. Why was there a sense of relief?
7. Describe the death of General Albert Sidney Johnston. Why might he have told this story?
8. Grant attended a bull fight. How did he feel about this? Why might he have felt this way?
9. Grant described the use of the trenches at Vicksburg. How were trenches useful? How were they used in later wars?
10. How did Grant feel about attending West Point? Why might he have felt this way?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)