|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. He described breaking ________ for working with the military.
2. In Chapter 31, Grant's headquarters were moved to ___________ Springs.
3. After Grant enlisted in the army at the beginning of the Civil War, the women of Galena asked him to describe what in detail?
(a) The war.
(b) The army uniform.
(c) Southern women.
(d) The places he had seen.
4. In Chapter 23, Grant received another promotion, this time to _______________ of the volunteers. In this role, he ordered a march on Nashville. There was some wrangling over the command and Grant was briefly relieved of the command then returned to the position.
5. Who taunted Grant?
(a) The governor of California.
(b) Another soldier.
(c) A ragged child.
(d) Most people with whom Grant came into contact in San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. On ____________, Grant issued a series of orders, including an order sending John A. McClernand to the right wing, Sherman to the left, and James B. McPherson at the middle.
2. In Chapter 29, troops supporting Grant at Corinth were moved out and Grant said it put him in the unenviable position of being what?
3. As Grant made the journey, he encountered a Union loyalist, Mr. ___________, who said there were Confederates in the area and that a neighbor, a Southern sympathizer, was certain to report Grant's presence.
4. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
5. The Confederates destroyed Union supplies intended for Grant's army and he sent troops out in widening circles to gather what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking their fortunes in gold. How might this gold rush still be seen today?
2. Describe the death of General Albert Sidney Johnston. Why might he have told this story?
3. How did Grant feel about attending West Point? Why might he have felt this way?
4. When Lincoln called for volunteers at the start of the Civil War, Grant joined. Why?
5. Grant said that once the City of Mexico fell, it seemed that a long-term occupation would be necessary. Why might he believe this?
6. How does Grant contrast General Scott with General Taylor?
7. Grant received orders from General Halleck to change his position. Did Grant do this? Why or why not?
8. Grant received orders to support the army with the possessions of those favoring the Southern cause. Why was he given these orders.
9. Grant was named Brigadier-General and said he was surprised by the promotion. Why might he have been surprised?
10. Grant attended a bull fight. How did he feel about this? Why might he have felt this way?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)