|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 29, troops supporting Grant at Corinth were moved out and Grant said it put him in the unenviable position of being what?
(a) On the offensive.
(c) On the defensive.
2. Who taunted Grant?
(a) Another soldier.
(b) A ragged child.
(c) Most people with whom Grant came into contact in San Francisco.
(d) The governor of California.
3. In Chapter 15, Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking what?
(a) Lost family members.
(b) Their fortunes in gold.
(c) New friendships.
4. In Chapter 38, why did the siege end?
(a) The Confederates called for a truce.
(b) No soldiers on either side were healthy enough to continue fighting.
(c) A torrential rain began that made it impossible to continue fighting.
(d) The Northerns called for a truce.
5. The following May, Grant moved to Galena, Illinois, where he began working as what in his father's store?
(a) A goldsmith.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A cobbler.
(d) A clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a brief leave to go home, Grant wrote a letter to Adjutant-General Colonel L. Thomas, saying that he'd been educated at the government's expense and now wanted to do what?
2. Grant described the use of the ____________ at this siege.
3. In Chapter 22, Grant planned to attack Fort Donelson but was hampered by what?
4. Where was Grant born?
5. Grant mentioned the use of ______________ used by the Confederates in an apparent attempt to keep the Union men on their guard, though Grant said he couldn't remember a single death from that tactic.
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant talked about the lack of trust the Indians had in the whites. Why did they not trust the white man?
2. Grant attended a bull fight. How did he feel about this? Why might he have felt this way?
3. Sherman wrote to Grant's superior, seeking to force Grant to heed the advice of other commanders. What does this reveal about Grant?
4. How did Grant feel about his men? How might he have benefited from this?
5. Grant was named Brigadier-General and said he was surprised by the promotion. Why might he have been surprised?
6. In Chapter Twenty-Nine, troops supporting Grant at Corinth were moved out. How did this affect Grant? What might he have thought of this maneuver?
7. Grant planned to attack Fort Donelson and predicted little opposition from the fort's commander. Why? What does this reveal about Grant?
8. How does Grant contrast General Scott with General Taylor?
9. Describe Ulysses S. Grant's parents.
10. Describe the death of General Albert Sidney Johnston. Why might he have told this story?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)