|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant said General Rosecrans, who had not been successful at Corinth, did what in his advance again upon Corinth?
(a) Took a very exposed route.
(b) Not provide enough rations for the trip.
(c) Took too few troops.
(d) Took the wrong road.
2. Grant described the unrest of the nation in the winter of _______________.
3. In Chapter 34, the Union troops captured Port ____________. Grant was accompanied by his thirteen-year-old son.
4. Grant built a house and sought to make a living from what?
(a) Teaching at a local school.
(b) The land.
(c) Owning a general store.
5. In Chapter 33, Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grant say about a fight at Molino del Rey?
2. Grant was sent to Ironton, Missouri, and eventually on to Jefferson City. While there, he met who for the first time?
3. Mexico would gain Texas but give up all rights to what?
4. Grant talked about the Indians, saying that the trades between Indians and whites had originally been done in ___________, but business had moved to silver half-dollars.
5. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant talked about the lack of trust the Indians had in the whites. Why did they not trust the white man?
2. Former slaves join up with the army. What were Grant's orders? What does this reveal about him?
3. Grant said that once the City of Mexico fell, it seemed that a long-term occupation would be necessary. Why might he believe this?
4. In Chapter Twenty-Nine, troops supporting Grant at Corinth were moved out. How did this affect Grant? What might he have thought of this maneuver?
5. Sherman wrote to Grant's superior, seeking to force Grant to heed the advice of other commanders. What does this reveal about Grant?
6. Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of relief. Why was there a sense of relief?
7. Grant planned to attack Fort Donelson and predicted little opposition from the fort's commander. Why? What does this reveal about Grant?
8. Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking their fortunes in gold. How might this gold rush still be seen today?
9. How did Grant feel about his men? How might he have benefited from this?
10. Grant describes breaking mules for working with the military. Why might he have described this?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)