|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lee's forces were discovered, what did Grant learn?
(a) He was planning to resign.
(b) He'd chosen a place to stand and fight that gave him the tactical advantage.
(c) He had many injured soldiers.
(d) He was in need of reinforcements.
2. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
3. General Burnside found himself in distress for what?
4. Grant was assigned to command the Military Division of _________________.
5. Grant said that if the Confederates had time to rest, what would happen?
(a) It would inevitably draw out the war.
(b) The Union would grow fatigued.
(c) They would be victorious.
(d) They could be attacked while resting.
6. Grant said there was __________ about the campaign to rouse criticism from him.
7. Grant described the men posted at the edge of the river at Chattanooga and said they were accustomed to seeing what?
(a) Many large animals.
(b) Soldiers drown in the rough waters.
(c) Men swim away down the river.
(d) Confederates getting water from the opposite side of the river.
8. Grant pointed out that Lee was careful not to show what?
(a) His anger.
(b) Any emotion.
(c) His face.
(d) His rank.
9. Grant told Sherman in that letter that there were no specific directions forthcoming but urged that he do what?
(a) Create new plans.
(b) Keep to the general plan.
(d) Ask for specific directions.
10. Grant outlined a letter from ____________ who expressed gratitude for Grant having played an important role in the war situation at Chattanooga.
11. In Chapter 59, Grant stepped back in time to _____________ and described Sherman's "march to the sea". Grant telegraphed Sherman in early that month, urging that Sherman continue to press the Southern troops.
12. In Chapter 42, Grant described what?
(a) The military situation.
(b) His experiences in the war.
(c) The Confederacy.
(d) The troops.
13. On ____________ 7, 1865, Grant sent Lee a note, saying further fighting would be useless and urging an end to the war.
14. Two days later, Grant set up a military trap with several troops apparently exposed to attack, hoping what?
(a) The Confederates would see through his plan.
(b) The Confederates would use the apparent opportunity.
(c) The Confederates would try a similar tactic.
(d) The Confederates would run in the opposite direction.
15. Grant wrote a lengthy letter outlining a new plan to move all the Union troops how?
(a) In several different ways.
(b) In opposite directions and campaigns.
(c) In tandem to a central goal.
(d) Toward several different goals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant joined up with General Meade and said their next goal would be to do what?
2. In Chapter 53, Grant recommended _____________ of his officers for promotion.
3. A letter dated _____________, 1864, from Grant to General Meade, indicated Grant's desire that Meade determine when he should withdraw troops from a deadly situation and when to press.
4. In Chapter 56, Grant faced the problem of what and was forced to move a flank to cut off Lee's movement to Richmond?
5. In Chapter 45, Grant was moved to ____________ and established a headquarters there.
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)