|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 60, Grant wrote to Major General Thomas from Grant's headquarters in City Point, _______________, in early December.
(a) South Carolina.
(c) North Carolina.
2. In Chapter 56, Grant faced the problem of what and was forced to move a flank to cut off Lee's movement to Richmond?
(a) A dangerous area.
(b) A rocky area.
(c) A swampy area.
(d) A mountainous area.
3. In Chapter 52, Grant detailed the battle at the Courthouse at _______________. Grant sent a letter to Major-General Halleck, Chief of Staff of the Army in Washington, outlining the casualties which he said probably approached twenty thousand Union troops and included eleven generals.
(a) Pine Bluff.
4. Two days later, Grant set up a military trap with several troops apparently exposed to attack, hoping what?
(a) The Confederates would run in the opposite direction.
(b) The Confederates would use the apparent opportunity.
(c) The Confederates would see through his plan.
(d) The Confederates would try a similar tactic.
5. In Chapter 69, Grant described the capture of Jefferson Davis and the surrender of General _____________.
6. In Chapter 48, a new campaign got underway, with __________ in command.
7. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
8. In Chapter 53, Grant recommended _____________ of his officers for promotion.
(a) Very few.
9. Lee moved his center of operations leaving an entire Union regiment without what?
(a) An enemy to face.
(d) A plan of attack.
10. What information did Grant give of the dead and wounded?
(b) Where these men were located.
(c) Causes of death or injury.
(d) Descriptions of injuries.
11. In Chapter 54, Grant said the troops traveling in _________________ were faced with a different kind of country than they'd typically encountered across the south. The roads were in better condition and there was hardly ever a person seen other than those armed with Confederate sympathies.
(b) North Carolina.
12. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
13. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
(c) Santa Fe.
14. On May 16, 1864, Grant sent a letter to Halleck, outlining the poor roads that had become impassable due to what?
(a) Heavy rains.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) Large potholes.
(d) A herd of sheep.
15. Lee claimed to know Grant from what?
(a) At Appomattox.
(b) Their time together at West Point.
(c) Their first meeting for a truce during the Civil War.
(d) Their service together in the era of the Mexican War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant told a story about __________ that he said epitomized the man's character.
2. A letter dated _____________, 1864, from Grant to General Meade, indicated Grant's desire that Meade determine when he should withdraw troops from a deadly situation and when to press.
3. What was one reason why the South was in chaos?
4. Grant joined up with General Meade and said their next goal would be to do what?
5. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)