|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
(a) Rest and recover.
(b) Continue fighting.
(c) Stay near the Confederates.
(d) Give the Confederates time to rest and recover.
2. In Chapter 44, Grant described the actual battle. Grant knew that the Confederate Commander ___________ was among those facing the Union Army.
3. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
4. When did Grant first meet Lee?
(a) in the middle of the Civil War.
(b) Prior to the Civil War.
(c) At the end of the Civil War.
(d) At the beginning of the Civil War.
5. In Chapter 58, Grant described additional advances with Sheridan's troops and his victory at the ______________.
(a) Stones River.
6. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
7. Grant appointed ______________ commander of the cavalry, believing that body of the military had been underutilized to that point.
8. Grant said that the army always created a ___________ fronted with a compilation of wood and dirt whenever they stopped, even if just for the night.
9. In Chapter 53, Grant recommended _____________ of his officers for promotion.
(d) Very few.
10. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
(b) Political expertise.
(c) Military expertise.
11. Each man carried ________ days' supply of food in addition to what was being hauled. As a wagon was emptied, it returned to a base camp where it was again filled with the same load and returned to the army camps.
12. Sherman decided to move first against ________________ and then Savannah.
13. Grant described the condition of Union troops as he arrived at Chattanooga. He said that they had little wood available to them and their clothing was insufficient for the coming winter, but that there was no way to get supplies in until when?
(b) The war ended.
(c) The reinforcements arrived.
(d) The President arrived.
14. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
(a) In civilian clothes.
(b) In a new uniform and wore an expensive, elaborate sword.
(c) In an old sack.
(d) In a private's uniform with only his stripes to confirm his rank.
15. Grant traveled to _______________ where he met with Rosecrans, another commander who had troops in serious distress at Chattanooga.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant said that if the Confederates had time to rest, what would happen?
2. In Chapter 65, Grant described the battle at _________ Forks and the battles leading up to the final march on Petersburg.
3. Why was it important that the Union military take control of this fort?
4. Nine days later, Grant wrote another letter to Thomas, this time demanding that Thomas do what?
5. The ladies had, until Grant received communiqués from his commanders and read them in front of the ladies, believed what?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)