|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
2. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
(a) In a private's uniform with only his stripes to confirm his rank.
(b) In a new uniform and wore an expensive, elaborate sword.
(c) In civilian clothes.
(d) In an old sack.
3. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
(a) Stay near the Confederates.
(b) Give the Confederates time to rest and recover.
(c) Rest and recover.
(d) Continue fighting.
4. On ____________ 7, 1865, Grant sent Lee a note, saying further fighting would be useless and urging an end to the war.
5. Grant communicated with Lee after a particular stage of the battle, asking that there be a temporary truce. Why?
(a) To discuss peace.
(b) To discuss a possible surrender.
(c) To remove the dead and wounded from the battlefield.
(d) To give the troops a break.
6. In Chapter 44, Grant described the actual battle. Grant knew that the Confederate Commander ___________ was among those facing the Union Army.
7. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
8. Grant said that the army always created a ___________ fronted with a compilation of wood and dirt whenever they stopped, even if just for the night.
9. On another occasion, Grant saw a man drawing water from a tree that had fallen in the river and questioned him before discovering what?
(a) He was actually a slave.
(b) He was deaf.
(c) He was actually the Confederate President.
(d) He was actually a Confederate soldier.
10. Grant traveled to _______________ where he met with Rosecrans, another commander who had troops in serious distress at Chattanooga.
11. The march was grueling and Grant said that everyone had been told to carry only what was necessary, but he saw various items discarded along the way. Why?
(a) The men were not hungry.
(b) Mice had gotten into their packs.
(c) The items had spoiled.
(d) In soldiers' efforts to lighten their loads.
12. What information did Grant give of the dead and wounded?
(a) Descriptions of injuries.
(b) Where these men were located.
(c) Causes of death or injury.
13. In Chapter 43, Sherman was ordered to prepare to attack _________________ and he successfully maneuvered into position.
14. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
(b) St. Petersburg.
15. In Chapter 42, Grant described what?
(a) The military situation.
(b) His experiences in the war.
(c) The troops.
(d) The Confederacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant pointed out that Lee was careful not to show what?
2. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
3. Grant wrote a lengthy letter outlining a new plan to move all the Union troops how?
4. Each man carried ________ days' supply of food in addition to what was being hauled. As a wagon was emptied, it returned to a base camp where it was again filled with the same load and returned to the army camps.
5. In Chapter 56, Grant faced the problem of what and was forced to move a flank to cut off Lee's movement to Richmond?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)