|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 49, Sherman advanced into Georgia and the siege of ______________ was outlined.
2. In Chapter 63, it became evident that the war was nearing an end. The peace commissioners from the Confederacy arrived in _____________ to meet with Lincoln.
3. Grant wrote a lengthy letter outlining a new plan to move all the Union troops how?
(a) In opposite directions and campaigns.
(b) Toward several different goals.
(c) In tandem to a central goal.
(d) In several different ways.
4. The march began with a supply of _________ days' rations, a supply of ammunition and a herd of cattle being driven along with the army.
5. When Lee's forces were discovered, what did Grant learn?
(a) He'd chosen a place to stand and fight that gave him the tactical advantage.
(b) He was planning to resign.
(c) He was in need of reinforcements.
(d) He had many injured soldiers.
6. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
7. Grant joined up with General Meade and said their next goal would be to do what?
(a) Pursue Lee's retreat rather than get ahead of him.
(b) Get ahead of Lee rather than pursuing his retreat.
(d) Organize a peace treaty.
8. Grant ordered a commander named General _________ to begin rebuilding the railroad though they have only primitive tools and this general's abilities with which to work.
9. Was the request granted?
(a) Yes, right away.
(c) Yes, but not until several days later.
(d) Yes, but not until many hours later.
10. One of Grant's commanders, General _______________, arrived at a house where Grant was seated on the verandah. The house belonged to Confederate loyalists and Grant was simply waiting there to watch the advance of his men.
11. The Union tried to secure railroads in areas they controlled but the Confederates managed to do what anyway?
(a) Destroy tracks.
(b) Take over the tracks.
(c) Hijack trains.
(d) Reroute trains.
12. In Chapter 55, the troops under Sheridan's command advanced on __________ Harbor but the Confederates, knowing that the position was one of tactical importance to the Union Army, were determined to hold it.
13. In Chapter 45, Grant was moved to ____________ and established a headquarters there.
14. Why was it important that the Union military take control of this fort?
(a) The fort was frequently a meeting place of high ranking Confederate leaders.
(b) The fort was a port of great importance to the Confederates.
(c) The fort was used as a Confederate hospital.
(d) The fort was filled with Confederate ammunitions.
15. The Confederates attacked a section of the Union forces repeatedly but were turned away each time, and Grant noted what about the Confederates?
(a) They paid heavily in casualties.
(b) They were unskilled.
(c) They were ruthless.
(d) They had very little training.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lee claimed to know Grant from what?
2. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
3. On May 16, 1864, Grant sent a letter to Halleck, outlining the poor roads that had become impassable due to what?
4. Nine days later, Grant wrote another letter to Thomas, this time demanding that Thomas do what?
5. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)