|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant appointed ______________ commander of the cavalry, believing that body of the military had been underutilized to that point.
2. In Chapter 67, Grant described the peace negotiations at ________________ and the terms of surrender that came from that meeting.
(c) Arkansas Post.
3. The Union troops left behind in ______________ were called on to defend the city from invading Confederate soldiers.
(a) New York.
4. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
5. Grant said the campaign against Atlanta lasted some ___________ months and "was one of the most memorable in history."
6. When did Grant first meet Lee?
(a) At the end of the Civil War.
(b) At the beginning of the Civil War.
(c) in the middle of the Civil War.
(d) Prior to the Civil War.
7. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
8. In Chapter 60, Grant wrote to Major General Thomas from Grant's headquarters in City Point, _______________, in early December.
(b) South Carolina.
(d) North Carolina.
9. Grant said the Confederate losses were bound to be higher and outlined his plans to do what?
(a) Continue the attack, even if it took the entire summer.
(b) Convince the Confederates to surrender.
(d) Contact the families of those who had died.
10. In Chapter 51, Grant looked back on the battle. He said the Union forces were commended for their ability to ___________________, then performing as a unit.
(a) Come upon the Confederates quietly.
(b) Hide silently for many hours.
(c) Cross a stream in close proximity to the Confederate troops.
(d) Create a large trench.
11. The book includes a series of footnotes, apparently written by ____________, further explaining sections of the text.
12. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
(a) Political expertise.
(b) Military expertise.
13. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
14. In Chapter 53, Grant recommended _____________ of his officers for promotion.
(a) Very few.
15. Grant joined up with General Meade and said their next goal would be to do what?
(b) Get ahead of Lee rather than pursuing his retreat.
(c) Organize a peace treaty.
(d) Pursue Lee's retreat rather than get ahead of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 43, Grant described the various points of attack, including that of Sherman at a place called ___________ Ridge.
2. In Chapter 59, Grant stepped back in time to _____________ and described Sherman's "march to the sea". Grant telegraphed Sherman in early that month, urging that Sherman continue to press the Southern troops.
3. Two days later, Grant set up a military trap with several troops apparently exposed to attack, hoping what?
4. Grant said there was __________ about the campaign to rouse criticism from him.
5. In Chapter 48, a new campaign got underway, with __________ in command.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)