|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The army clashed with Lee's forces at the Battle of ________________, and Grant noted that there were dead and wounded left in a large, wooded area. When the woods caught on fire, there was no way to reach the wounded and those unable to drag themselves away died there.
(a) Chalk Bluff.
(b) The Wilderness.
(c) The Bulge.
(d) The Marne.
2. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
(a) He now believed in the Union cause.
(b) In an effort to end further bloodshed.
(c) He was tired of fighting.
(d) The Confederate cause was hopeless.
3. In Chapter 55, the troops under Sheridan's command advanced on __________ Harbor but the Confederates, knowing that the position was one of tactical importance to the Union Army, were determined to hold it.
4. A letter dated _____________, 1864, from Grant to General Meade, indicated Grant's desire that Meade determine when he should withdraw troops from a deadly situation and when to press.
(a) August 3.
(b) June 3.
(c) September 3.
(d) April 3.
5. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
6. In Chapter 65, Grant described the battle at _________ Forks and the battles leading up to the final march on Petersburg.
7. Grant described the condition of Union troops as he arrived at Chattanooga. He said that they had little wood available to them and their clothing was insufficient for the coming winter, but that there was no way to get supplies in until when?
(b) The President arrived.
(c) The war ended.
(d) The reinforcements arrived.
8. Grant said that the army always created a ___________ fronted with a compilation of wood and dirt whenever they stopped, even if just for the night.
9. In Chapter 43, Grant described the various points of attack, including that of Sherman at a place called ___________ Ridge.
10. What information did Grant give of the dead and wounded?
(a) Where these men were located.
(b) Descriptions of injuries.
(c) Causes of death or injury.
11. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
(b) Military expertise.
(c) Political expertise.
12. Two days later, Grant set up a military trap with several troops apparently exposed to attack, hoping what?
(a) The Confederates would run in the opposite direction.
(b) The Confederates would see through his plan.
(c) The Confederates would try a similar tactic.
(d) The Confederates would use the apparent opportunity.
13. The ladies had, until Grant received communiqués from his commanders and read them in front of the ladies, believed what?
(a) The Northern armies were beating the Confederates and were on the verge of winning the war.
(b) The two armies had come to a truce.
(c) The Southern armies were beating the Union and were on the verge of winning the war.
(d) The Confederates had surrendered.
14. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
15. Grant traveled to _______________ where he met with Rosecrans, another commander who had troops in serious distress at Chattanooga.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant appointed ______________ commander of the cavalry, believing that body of the military had been underutilized to that point.
2. In one of those letters, Grant urged Thomas to attack whose rebel forces in Nashville or risk losing the ground he'd gained as far as Chattanooga?
3. On May 22, Grant issued orders that scouts be sent out in search of what?
4. Were the talks successful?
5. The book includes a series of footnotes, apparently written by ____________, further explaining sections of the text.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)