|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant was assigned to command the Military Division of _________________.
2. In Chapter 41, Grant toured the area and the first order of business was to do what?
(a) Create a workable supply line.
(b) Find a place to camp.
(c) Create more comfortable living conditions for the soldiers.
(d) Recruit more volunteers.
3. The Union troops left behind in ______________ were called on to defend the city from invading Confederate soldiers.
(a) New York.
4. It took a couple of tries to gain control of the fort. What did Grant Grant placed part of the blame for the failed attack?
(a) Weak soldiers.
(b) Poor planning.
(c) Free talk.
(d) A lack of ammunitions.
5. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
6. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
7. In Chapter 61, Grant detailed the events leading up to the attempts to rout the Confederates from Fort _____________, located near Wilmington.
8. General Burnside found himself in distress for what?
9. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
(a) Stay near the Confederates.
(b) Give the Confederates time to rest and recover.
(c) Rest and recover.
(d) Continue fighting.
10. Grant said that if the Confederates had time to rest, what would happen?
(a) They would be victorious.
(b) They could be attacked while resting.
(c) The Union would grow fatigued.
(d) It would inevitably draw out the war.
11. Grant said there was __________ about the campaign to rouse criticism from him.
12. In Chapter 48, a new campaign got underway, with __________ in command.
13. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
14. In Chapter 55, the troops under Sheridan's command advanced on __________ Harbor but the Confederates, knowing that the position was one of tactical importance to the Union Army, were determined to hold it.
15. A letter dated _____________, 1864, from Grant to General Meade, indicated Grant's desire that Meade determine when he should withdraw troops from a deadly situation and when to press.
(a) April 3.
(b) June 3.
(c) August 3.
(d) September 3.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information did Grant give of the dead and wounded?
2. The book concludes with an appendix titled, "Report of Lieutenant-General U.S. Grant of the United States Armies. The opening of that section was addressed to E.M. Stanton, who was the _____________________ and was intended to be an overview report of Grant's involvement in the war.
3. In Chapter 60, Grant wrote to Major General Thomas from Grant's headquarters in City Point, _______________, in early December.
4. In Chapter 43, Sherman was ordered to prepare to attack _________________ and he successfully maneuvered into position.
5. Grant pointed out that Lee was careful not to show what?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)