|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Each man carried ________ days' supply of food in addition to what was being hauled. As a wagon was emptied, it returned to a base camp where it was again filled with the same load and returned to the army camps.
2. Grant noted that when the ladies learned the truth about the condition of the Confederate Army and that the Union had the upper hand, they began to cry. Besides being upset, why did they cry?
(a) The women learned the fate of their loved ones.
(b) It was typical in those days to share misinformation, whether by design to keep Confederate loyalties intact or to promote morale.
(c) The women did not believe Grant.
(d) The women did not want to be reminded of the Confederate's possible defeat.
3. Grant pointed out that Lee was careful not to show what?
(a) Any emotion.
(b) His anger.
(c) His face.
(d) His rank.
4. Grant said the campaign against Atlanta lasted some ___________ months and "was one of the most memorable in history."
5. In Chapter 43, Grant described the various points of attack, including that of Sherman at a place called ___________ Ridge.
6. Grant ordered a commander named General _________ to begin rebuilding the railroad though they have only primitive tools and this general's abilities with which to work.
7. In Chapter 49, Sherman advanced into Georgia and the siege of ______________ was outlined.
8. In Chapter 45, Grant was moved to ____________ and established a headquarters there.
9. In Chapter 61, Grant detailed the events leading up to the attempts to rout the Confederates from Fort _____________, located near Wilmington.
10. In Chapter 44, Grant described the actual battle. Grant knew that the Confederate Commander ___________ was among those facing the Union Army.
11. General Burnside found himself in distress for what?
12. In Chapter 67, Grant described the peace negotiations at ________________ and the terms of surrender that came from that meeting.
(b) Arkansas Post.
13. In Chapter 42, Grant described what?
(a) The Confederacy.
(b) His experiences in the war.
(c) The military situation.
(d) The troops.
14. On May 22, Grant issued orders that scouts be sent out in search of what?
(c) The Confederate forces.
(d) Other Union troops.
15. In Chapter 41, Grant toured the area and the first order of business was to do what?
(a) Create a workable supply line.
(b) Create more comfortable living conditions for the soldiers.
(c) Recruit more volunteers.
(d) Find a place to camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. On ____________ 7, 1865, Grant sent Lee a note, saying further fighting would be useless and urging an end to the war.
2. When Lee's forces were discovered, what did Grant learn?
3. Grant and other officers were within full view - and rifle range - of the Confederates one day. Did the enemy shoot at them?
4. Why was it important that the Union military take control of this fort?
5. Grant outlined a letter from ____________ who expressed gratitude for Grant having played an important role in the war situation at Chattanooga.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)