|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 48, a new campaign got underway, with __________ in command.
2. In Chapter 44, Grant described the actual battle. Grant knew that the Confederate Commander ___________ was among those facing the Union Army.
3. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
(a) He was tired of fighting.
(b) In an effort to end further bloodshed.
(c) The Confederate cause was hopeless.
(d) He now believed in the Union cause.
4. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
5. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
(d) Santa Fe.
6. In Chapter 65, Grant described the battle at _________ Forks and the battles leading up to the final march on Petersburg.
7. In Chapter 42, Grant described what?
(a) The Confederacy.
(b) The military situation.
(c) His experiences in the war.
(d) The troops.
8. In one of those letters, Grant urged Thomas to attack whose rebel forces in Nashville or risk losing the ground he'd gained as far as Chattanooga?
9. In Chapter 60, Grant wrote to Major General Thomas from Grant's headquarters in City Point, _______________, in early December.
(a) North Carolina.
(c) South Carolina.
10. At Grant's request, _________________ was transferred to take over the command of the Army of Tennessee which was headquartered near Grant's location.
11. On May 22, Grant issued orders that scouts be sent out in search of what?
(a) The Confederate forces.
(d) Other Union troops.
12. Lee moved his center of operations leaving an entire Union regiment without what?
(a) A plan of attack.
(b) An enemy to face.
13. The Union tried to secure railroads in areas they controlled but the Confederates managed to do what anyway?
(a) Destroy tracks.
(b) Hijack trains.
(c) Take over the tracks.
(d) Reroute trains.
14. In Chapter 59, Grant stepped back in time to _____________ and described Sherman's "march to the sea". Grant telegraphed Sherman in early that month, urging that Sherman continue to press the Southern troops.
15. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 45, Grant was moved to ____________ and established a headquarters there.
2. In Chapter 55, the troops under Sheridan's command advanced on __________ Harbor but the Confederates, knowing that the position was one of tactical importance to the Union Army, were determined to hold it.
3. Grant wrote Sherman a letter on ______________ 3, 1864. He said that it appeared Sherman faced no real obstacles but Grant declined celebrating Sherman's victory, saying he didn't want to do so until "the victory is assured".
4. Grant appointed ______________ commander of the cavalry, believing that body of the military had been underutilized to that point.
5. Grant joined up with General Meade and said their next goal would be to do what?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)