|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. General Burnside found himself in distress for what?
2. On ____________ 7, 1865, Grant sent Lee a note, saying further fighting would be useless and urging an end to the war.
3. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
(a) Continue fighting.
(b) Rest and recover.
(c) Stay near the Confederates.
(d) Give the Confederates time to rest and recover.
4. What information did Grant give of the dead and wounded?
(a) Where these men were located.
(c) Causes of death or injury.
(d) Descriptions of injuries.
5. In Chapter 52, Grant detailed the battle at the Courthouse at _______________. Grant sent a letter to Major-General Halleck, Chief of Staff of the Army in Washington, outlining the casualties which he said probably approached twenty thousand Union troops and included eleven generals.
(b) Pine Bluff.
6. Two days later, Grant set up a military trap with several troops apparently exposed to attack, hoping what?
(a) The Confederates would see through his plan.
(b) The Confederates would try a similar tactic.
(c) The Confederates would run in the opposite direction.
(d) The Confederates would use the apparent opportunity.
7. In Chapter 63, it became evident that the war was nearing an end. The peace commissioners from the Confederacy arrived in _____________ to meet with Lincoln.
8. Grant wrote a lengthy letter outlining a new plan to move all the Union troops how?
(a) In opposite directions and campaigns.
(b) In several different ways.
(c) In tandem to a central goal.
(d) Toward several different goals.
9. When did Grant first meet Lee?
(a) Prior to the Civil War.
(b) At the end of the Civil War.
(c) At the beginning of the Civil War.
(d) in the middle of the Civil War.
10. In Chapter 42, Grant described what?
(a) His experiences in the war.
(b) The troops.
(c) The military situation.
(d) The Confederacy.
11. Grant outlined a letter from ____________ who expressed gratitude for Grant having played an important role in the war situation at Chattanooga.
12. In the conclusion, Grant pointed out that __________ played a role in the Civil War and predicted that the issue might arise at some time in the future.
13. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
(c) Santa Fe.
14. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
15. Grant said the campaign against Atlanta lasted some ___________ months and "was one of the most memorable in history."
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 65, Grant described the battle at _________ Forks and the battles leading up to the final march on Petersburg.
2. When Lee's forces were discovered, what did Grant learn?
3. In Chapter 48, a new campaign got underway, with __________ in command.
4. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
5. At Grant's request, _________________ was transferred to take over the command of the Army of Tennessee which was headquartered near Grant's location.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)