|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Confederates attacked a section of the Union forces repeatedly but were turned away each time, and Grant noted what about the Confederates?
(a) They had very little training.
(b) They were ruthless.
(c) They were unskilled.
(d) They paid heavily in casualties.
2. It took a couple of tries to gain control of the fort. What did Grant Grant placed part of the blame for the failed attack?
(a) A lack of ammunitions.
(b) Free talk.
(c) Weak soldiers.
(d) Poor planning.
3. In what role did Grant meet Lincoln for the first time?
(a) He was General in command of the Union Army.
(b) He was Lieutenant Colonel in command of the Union Army.
(c) He was Commander-in-Chief in command of the Union Army.
(d) He was Lieutenant General in command of the Union Army.
4. Grant joined up with General Meade and said their next goal would be to do what?
(a) Get ahead of Lee rather than pursuing his retreat.
(b) Organize a peace treaty.
(c) Pursue Lee's retreat rather than get ahead of him.
5. In Chapter 60, Grant wrote to Major General Thomas from Grant's headquarters in City Point, _______________, in early December.
(b) South Carolina.
(c) North Carolina.
6. On May 16, 1864, Grant sent a letter to Halleck, outlining the poor roads that had become impassable due to what?
(a) Large potholes.
(b) Heavy rains.
(c) A herd of sheep.
(d) An earthquake.
7. Lee moved his center of operations leaving an entire Union regiment without what?
(b) An enemy to face.
(d) A plan of attack.
8. In Chapter 59, Grant stepped back in time to _____________ and described Sherman's "march to the sea". Grant telegraphed Sherman in early that month, urging that Sherman continue to press the Southern troops.
9. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
(a) In an old sack.
(b) In a new uniform and wore an expensive, elaborate sword.
(c) In a private's uniform with only his stripes to confirm his rank.
(d) In civilian clothes.
10. Grant traveled to _______________ where he met with Rosecrans, another commander who had troops in serious distress at Chattanooga.
11. In Chapter 42, Grant described what?
(a) His experiences in the war.
(b) The troops.
(c) The Confederacy.
(d) The military situation.
12. Lee claimed to know Grant from what?
(a) Their first meeting for a truce during the Civil War.
(b) Their time together at West Point.
(c) Their service together in the era of the Mexican War.
(d) At Appomattox.
13. Grant said there was __________ about the campaign to rouse criticism from him.
14. In Chapter 55, the troops under Sheridan's command advanced on __________ Harbor but the Confederates, knowing that the position was one of tactical importance to the Union Army, were determined to hold it.
15. Grant ordered a commander named General _________ to begin rebuilding the railroad though they have only primitive tools and this general's abilities with which to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant told Sherman in that letter that there were no specific directions forthcoming but urged that he do what?
2. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
3. The march was grueling and Grant said that everyone had been told to carry only what was necessary, but he saw various items discarded along the way. Why?
4. The Union troops left behind in ______________ were called on to defend the city from invading Confederate soldiers.
5. In Chapter 58, Grant described additional advances with Sheridan's troops and his victory at the ______________.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)