|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one reason why the South was in chaos?
(a) They had won the war.
(b) There were few women left for the men to marry.
(c) They had lived for years with the absence of all the able-bodied men.
(d) They had too many men and not enough jobs.
2. The Confederates attacked a section of the Union forces repeatedly but were turned away each time, and Grant noted what about the Confederates?
(a) They were unskilled.
(b) They were ruthless.
(c) They paid heavily in casualties.
(d) They had very little training.
3. At Grant's request, _________________ was transferred to take over the command of the Army of Tennessee which was headquartered near Grant's location.
4. Grant said this proved effective at providing cover though in the case of the Battle of the Wilderness, what happened when the wood caught on fire?
(a) The men died.
(b) The heat became so intense that it drove some men away.
(c) The men were trapped.
(d) The men were severely burned.
5. Grant ordered a commander named General _________ to begin rebuilding the railroad though they have only primitive tools and this general's abilities with which to work.
6. In Chapter 61, Grant detailed the events leading up to the attempts to rout the Confederates from Fort _____________, located near Wilmington.
7. In Chapter 49, Sherman advanced into Georgia and the siege of ______________ was outlined.
8. Grant described the condition of Union troops as he arrived at Chattanooga. He said that they had little wood available to them and their clothing was insufficient for the coming winter, but that there was no way to get supplies in until when?
(b) The President arrived.
(c) The war ended.
(d) The reinforcements arrived.
9. The Union troops left behind in ______________ were called on to defend the city from invading Confederate soldiers.
(b) New York.
10. In Chapter 65, the Union captured Petersburg and who visited with Grant there the day after the final assault?
11. Grant joined up with General Meade and said their next goal would be to do what?
(a) Organize a peace treaty.
(c) Pursue Lee's retreat rather than get ahead of him.
(d) Get ahead of Lee rather than pursuing his retreat.
12. In Chapter 55, the troops under Sheridan's command advanced on __________ Harbor but the Confederates, knowing that the position was one of tactical importance to the Union Army, were determined to hold it.
13. In Chapter 53, Grant recommended _____________ of his officers for promotion.
(b) Very few.
14. When Lee's forces were discovered, what did Grant learn?
(a) He'd chosen a place to stand and fight that gave him the tactical advantage.
(b) He was in need of reinforcements.
(c) He was planning to resign.
(d) He had many injured soldiers.
15. Grant told Sherman in that letter that there were no specific directions forthcoming but urged that he do what?
(a) Create new plans.
(b) Ask for specific directions.
(d) Keep to the general plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant wrote a lengthy letter outlining a new plan to move all the Union troops how?
2. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
3. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
4. Grant outlined a letter from ____________ who expressed gratitude for Grant having played an important role in the war situation at Chattanooga.
5. In Chapter 63, it became evident that the war was nearing an end. The peace commissioners from the Confederacy arrived in _____________ to meet with Lincoln.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)