|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 40, Grant arrived in __________ and was sent on to Louisville, where he met Secretary of War Stanton.
(c) Santa Fe.
2. The Confederates attacked a section of the Union forces repeatedly but were turned away each time, and Grant noted what about the Confederates?
(a) They had very little training.
(b) They were unskilled.
(c) They paid heavily in casualties.
(d) They were ruthless.
3. Lee responded to the letter by saying he would surrender. Why?
(a) The Confederate cause was hopeless.
(b) He now believed in the Union cause.
(c) He was tired of fighting.
(d) In an effort to end further bloodshed.
4. Grant had another meeting with Lincoln and when Grant outlined his plan and reason for advancing, Lincoln said that he understood and compared it to a saying he'd heard, "If a man can't skin he must hold ___________ while somebody else does".
(a) The fur.
(b) A leg.
(c) The animal.
(d) An arm.
5. Grant described the complicated maneuvering it took to establish a siege of ______________.
(c) St. Petersburg.
6. In Chapter 44, Grant described the actual battle. Grant knew that the Confederate Commander ___________ was among those facing the Union Army.
7. Grant described the details of the first raid of the cavalry under _________________ command.
8. In Chapter 50, Grant said that soon after the fall of Atlanta, the Army of the ______________ began the campaign that would eventually result in the fall of the Confederate capital.
9. Were the talks successful?
(b) Yes, immediately.
(d) Yes, but not immediately.
10. Grant told a story about __________ that he said epitomized the man's character.
11. Each man carried ________ days' supply of food in addition to what was being hauled. As a wagon was emptied, it returned to a base camp where it was again filled with the same load and returned to the army camps.
12. On December 15, Grant wrote Thomas again, this time congratulating him on his success and urging that he not do what?
(a) Continue fighting.
(b) Give the Confederates time to rest and recover.
(c) Rest and recover.
(d) Stay near the Confederates.
13. At Grant's request, _________________ was transferred to take over the command of the Army of Tennessee which was headquartered near Grant's location.
14. Lincoln said that his lack of what was a problem?
(a) Military expertise.
(b) Political expertise.
15. In Chapter 65, Grant described the battle at _________ Forks and the battles leading up to the final march on Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 69, Grant described the capture of Jefferson Davis and the surrender of General _____________.
2. Two days later, Grant set up a military trap with several troops apparently exposed to attack, hoping what?
3. How was Grant dressed at the end of the war?
4. Grant ordered a commander named General _________ to begin rebuilding the railroad though they have only primitive tools and this general's abilities with which to work.
5. In Chapter 63, it became evident that the war was nearing an end. The peace commissioners from the Confederacy arrived in _____________ to meet with Lincoln.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)