|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On a Friday, Grant took a fall with his horse and was injured, though not as seriously as he might have been because of what?
(a) His skill as a rider.
(b) The medical care he received right after the accident.
(c) The softness of the rain-soaked ground.
(d) The way his horse fell.
2. In Chapter 16, Grant resigned from the military. He and Julia had two children by this time and Grant moved the family to land she owned near what city?
(a) Santa Fe.
(d) St. Louis.
3. In Chapter 32, Grant described the pressure of public opinion and said that no matter what criticism occurred, who stood behind him, providing support?
(a) Stonewall Jackson.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) George W. Bush.
(d) President Robert E. Lee.
4. Grant said the Confederate troops were driven steadily back and eventually retreated. Grant said the victory was cinched by the arrival of whom?
(a) General Robert E. Lee.
(b) General Albert Sidney Johnston.
(c) General W.H.L. Wallace.
(d) General George Washington.
5. Grant described the use of the ____________ at this siege.
6. Davis had orders that Grant would return to St. Louis where Grant discovered that he was to take command of what?
(a) The large district in Missouri and Nebraska.
(b) The large district in Illinois and Indiana.
(c) The large district in Missouri and Illinois.
(d) The large district in Illinois.
7. Grant mentioned the use of ______________ used by the Confederates in an apparent attempt to keep the Union men on their guard, though Grant said he couldn't remember a single death from that tactic.
(a) An exploding shell.
(b) Armored tanks.
(c) Automatic weaponry.
(d) Shock and awe.
8. What does Grant say about a fight at Molino del Rey?
(a) That battle could have been avoided completely.
(b) That battle was worth the many losses.
(c) That battle could not have been avoided.
(d) That battle was useless.
9. In Chapter 39, Grant outlined a plan to assault ___________ that was eventually vetoed.
10. Grant noted after the surrender of Vicksburg that the men taken prisoner did what regarding the Union Army?
(a) They ignored them.
(b) They talked and mingled with them.
(c) They teased and taunted them.
(d) They begged them to let them go free.
11. In Chapter 36, Grant said the campaign had been successful in doing what?
(a) Weakening the morale of the Confederates.
(b) Gaining more supporters of the northern cause.
(c) Giving him a sense of purpose.
(d) Physically splitting two important Confederate troops.
12. Did Grant dwell on the duel he saw?
(a) No, he hardly mentions the duel or its effect on him.
(b) No, he talked mostly about the impact of the duel on his own thoughts.
(c) Yes, he spent a great deal of time replaying the duel.
(d) No, he talked mostly about the impact of the duel on the family members of those involved in a duel.
13. He asked for cavalry but was assigned to what?
(a) The mountain division.
(b) The infantry.
(c) The armored division.
(d) The airborne division.
14. Grant described an incident in which who was apparently killed but was later seen watching another fight?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) A cockfighter.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A bullfighter.
15. Grant cited the nature of the fort's commander and predicted what?
(a) Little opposition.
(b) Quite a bit of opposition.
(c) A great deal of opposition.
(d) No opposition.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Grant made the journey, he encountered a Union loyalist, Mr. ___________, who said there were Confederates in the area and that a neighbor, a Southern sympathizer, was certain to report Grant's presence.
2. In Chapter 15, Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking what?
3. The military regiment left Corpus Christi and Grant was promoted to ______________.
4. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
5. While the United States wanted a war with Mexico over disputed territory, Grant said what was important?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)