|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On a Friday, Grant took a fall with his horse and was injured, though not as seriously as he might have been because of what?
(a) His skill as a rider.
(b) The way his horse fell.
(c) The medical care he received right after the accident.
(d) The softness of the rain-soaked ground.
2. In Chapter 33, Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of what?
3. In Chapter 13, Grant attended ________________ and said he didn't understand why people enjoyed the sport.
(a) A cockfight.
(b) A bullfight.
(d) A dogfight.
4. After Grant enlisted in the army at the beginning of the Civil War, the women of Galena asked him to describe what in detail?
(a) The places he had seen.
(b) Southern women.
(c) The army uniform.
(d) The war.
5. In Chapter 15, Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking what?
(a) Lost family members.
(b) Their fortunes in gold.
(c) New friendships.
6. Mexico would gain Texas but give up all rights to what?
(a) California and Utah.
(b) California and New Mexico.
(d) Washington, Oregon, and California.
7. In Chapter 12, Grant was promoted to _________________.
(a) Lieutenant general.
(b) Lieutenant colonel.
(c) First lieutenant.
(d) Second lieutenant.
8. He described breaking ________ for working with the military.
9. In Chapter 20, Grant's troops came under fire for the first time at Belmont and he said they reacted how?
(a) Like veteran fighters.
(b) Like children.
(c) Like old men.
(d) Like volunteers.
10. In Chapter 25, Grant said Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston was wounded at Shiloh and, refusing to give up his command because _________________, remained on his horse until he was so weak from loss of blood that he died.
(a) He wanted to beat the Union soldiers.
(b) The wound was not severe.
(c) There was no one to take over.
(d) He was not willing to give up control.
11. In Chapter 17, states continued to secede from the Union and the Civil War broke out in ________ of 1861.
12. Grant planned to do a short stint in the military before doing what?
(a) Going to medical school.
(b) Taking over his family's business.
13. Eventually, Grant was ordered to San Francisco. When Grant's uniform first arrived, he put it on and went out in public. Why?
(a) He was hoping to encourage others to join the military.
(b) He was promoting attending West Point.
(c) He had no other clothes to wear.
(d) He was apparently seeking acclaim for his military service.
14. In Chapter 29, troops supporting Grant at Corinth were moved out and Grant said it put him in the unenviable position of being what?
(b) On the defensive.
(d) On the offensive.
15. Grant noted after the surrender of Vicksburg that the men taken prisoner did what regarding the Union Army?
(a) They talked and mingled with them.
(b) They begged them to let them go free.
(c) They teased and taunted them.
(d) They ignored them.
Short Answer Questions
1. The military regiment left Corpus Christi and Grant was promoted to ______________.
2. In Chapter 21, Grant described the assault and capture of ____________.
3. In Chapter 30, Grant described the battle at Vicksburg and Sherman's advance along the ___________ River.
4. Grant was sent to Ironton, Missouri, and eventually on to Jefferson City. While there, he met who for the first time?
5. The following May, Grant moved to Galena, Illinois, where he began working as what in his father's store?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)