|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant said that once the city fell, it seemed that long-term occupation would be _____________.
2. Grant described the unrest of the nation in the winter of _______________.
3. Grant built a house and sought to make a living from what?
(a) The land.
(b) Teaching at a local school.
(d) Owning a general store.
4. Grant noted that the fifty-dollar gold pieces were not government issue but were common in the area and were called what?
5. Grant reported in September at the ________________ Barracks in St. Louis.
6. In Chapter 14, Grant married who?
(a) Jill Dennison.
(b) Jennifer DeVane.
(c) Julia Dent.
(d) Jamie Deveraux.
7. Grant was sent to Ironton, Missouri, and eventually on to Jefferson City. While there, he met who for the first time?
(a) Colonel Mustard.
(b) Colonel Robert E. Lee.
(c) Colonel Jefferson B. Davis.
(d) Colonel Thomas Jefferson.
8. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
9. Grant's time at West Point and in the military meant that he knew who?
(a) Many of the other long-term military men from both sides of the Civil War.
(b) Many Union military leaders.
(c) Foreign military leaders.
(d) The President of the United States.
10. As Grant made the journey, he encountered a Union loyalist, Mr. ___________, who said there were Confederates in the area and that a neighbor, a Southern sympathizer, was certain to report Grant's presence.
(a) De Vane.
(b) De Rosa.
(c) De Loche.
(d) De Long.
11. In Chapter 17, states continued to secede from the Union and the Civil War broke out in ________ of 1861.
12. In Chapter 18, Grant left Galena as commander of the _______ Regiment.
13. In Chapter 38, why did the siege end?
(a) No soldiers on either side were healthy enough to continue fighting.
(b) The Confederates called for a truce.
(c) A torrential rain began that made it impossible to continue fighting.
(d) The Northerns called for a truce.
14. Sherman questioned __________ Grant had planned after the siege at Vicksburg.
(a) A retreat.
(b) An advance.
(c) A campaign.
(d) A meeting.
15. In Chapter 33, Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Rosecrans wanted to pursue farther than Jonesboro but Grant, believing what, ordered him back?
2. Grant contrasted General _______ with General Taylor.
3. Grant said General Rosecrans, who had not been successful at Corinth, did what in his advance again upon Corinth?
4. Grant planned to do a short stint in the military before doing what?
5. In Chapter 21, Grant described the assault and capture of ____________.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)