|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 25, Grant said Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston was wounded at Shiloh and, refusing to give up his command because _________________, remained on his horse until he was so weak from loss of blood that he died.
(a) He wanted to beat the Union soldiers.
(b) The wound was not severe.
(c) He was not willing to give up control.
(d) There was no one to take over.
2. Did Grant know everything there was to know about the war being waged in Mexico?
3. In Chapter 16, Grant resigned from the military. He and Julia had two children by this time and Grant moved the family to land she owned near what city?
(a) Santa Fe.
(c) St. Louis.
4. He described breaking ________ for working with the military.
5. In Chapter 33, Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of what?
6. In Chapter 36, Grant said the campaign had been successful in doing what?
(a) Physically splitting two important Confederate troops.
(b) Weakening the morale of the Confederates.
(c) Giving him a sense of purpose.
(d) Gaining more supporters of the northern cause.
7. In Chapter 17, states continued to secede from the Union and the Civil War broke out in ________ of 1861.
8. In Chapter 18, Grant left Galena as commander of the _______ Regiment.
9. Grant cited the nature of the fort's commander and predicted what?
(a) Little opposition.
(b) No opposition.
(c) Quite a bit of opposition.
(d) A great deal of opposition.
10. Who taunted Grant?
(a) Most people with whom Grant came into contact in San Francisco.
(b) A ragged child.
(c) The governor of California.
(d) Another soldier.
11. Grant mentioned the use of ______________ used by the Confederates in an apparent attempt to keep the Union men on their guard, though Grant said he couldn't remember a single death from that tactic.
(a) Automatic weaponry.
(b) An exploding shell.
(c) Armored tanks.
(d) Shock and awe.
12. Did Grant believe that he would be brave enough to fight a duel?
(a) Yes, if he had no other choice.
(b) No, never.
(c) Yes, of course.
(d) Yes, maybe.
13. The assault on the town that is the answer to #82 resulted in ______________ losses.
14. On a Friday, Grant took a fall with his horse and was injured, though not as seriously as he might have been because of what?
(a) The way his horse fell.
(b) The softness of the rain-soaked ground.
(c) The medical care he received right after the accident.
(d) His skill as a rider.
15. In Chapter 21, Grant described the assault and capture of ____________.
(a) Fort David.
(b) Fort Scott.
(c) Fort Henry.
(d) Fort Stewart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant said that he looked back on the taking of "the City of Mexico" and could see that the troops should have done what?
2. In Chapter 35, Grant learned that McPherson's campaign was successful and Grant, who was with Sherman's men, pressed the advantage in order to capture who?
3. Grant described an incident in which who was apparently killed but was later seen watching another fight?
4. In Chapter 38, why did the siege end?
5. In Chapter 10, the military moved quickly from Vera Cruz to avoid what?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)