|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant contrasted General _______ with General Taylor.
2. In Chapter 17, states continued to secede from the Union and the Civil War broke out in ________ of 1861.
3. Sherman questioned __________ Grant had planned after the siege at Vicksburg.
(a) A meeting.
(b) A campaign.
(c) An advance.
(d) A retreat.
4. Grant's time at West Point and in the military meant that he knew who?
(a) Foreign military leaders.
(b) Many Union military leaders.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) Many of the other long-term military men from both sides of the Civil War.
5. What does Grant say about a fight at Molino del Rey?
(a) That battle could not have been avoided.
(b) That battle was worth the many losses.
(c) That battle was useless.
(d) That battle could have been avoided completely.
6. Rosecrans wanted to pursue farther than Jonesboro but Grant, believing what, ordered him back?
(a) Rosecrans was mentally ill.
(b) Confederate forces waiting in a good position would wipe out Rosecrans.
(c) Grant should be the one to lead the men to Jonesburo.
(d) The troops were too weak to travel that far.
7. What did Grant say that Indians would do because they did not trust store owners to add up multiple purchases?
(a) They would add up their own purchases.
(b) They would only come into buy one item at a time.
(c) They would pay for each separately.
(d) They would not purchase anything at stores.
8. In Chapter 31, Grant's headquarters were moved to ___________ Springs.
9. Did Grant dwell on the duel he saw?
(a) Yes, he spent a great deal of time replaying the duel.
(b) No, he hardly mentions the duel or its effect on him.
(c) No, he talked mostly about the impact of the duel on his own thoughts.
(d) No, he talked mostly about the impact of the duel on the family members of those involved in a duel.
10. Grant said the Confederate troops were driven steadily back and eventually retreated. Grant said the victory was cinched by the arrival of whom?
(a) General Albert Sidney Johnston.
(b) General George Washington.
(c) General W.H.L. Wallace.
(d) General Robert E. Lee.
11. Mexico would gain Texas but give up all rights to what?
(a) California and Utah.
(c) Washington, Oregon, and California.
(d) California and New Mexico.
12. In Chapter 32, Grant described the pressure of public opinion and said that no matter what criticism occurred, who stood behind him, providing support?
(a) George W. Bush.
(b) Stonewall Jackson.
(c) President Robert E. Lee.
(d) President Lincoln.
13. In Chapter 14, Grant married who?
(a) Julia Dent.
(b) Jennifer DeVane.
(c) Jamie Deveraux.
(d) Jill Dennison.
14. Former slaves join up with the army and Grant's orders were to allow them to remain within the protection of the military, as long as the slaves do what?
(a) Do not talk to the Union soldiers.
(b) Find their own food.
(d) Arrive of their free will.
15. Grant described the use of the ____________ at this siege.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
2. The military regiment left Corpus Christi and Grant was promoted to ______________.
3. Grant's situation changed yet again and he assumed the role of district commander in ______ Tennessee.
4. Grant cited the nature of the fort's commander and predicted what?
5. In Chapter 10, the military moved quickly from Vera Cruz to avoid what?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)