|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant cited the nature of the fort's commander and predicted what?
(a) A great deal of opposition.
(b) No opposition.
(c) Quite a bit of opposition.
(d) Little opposition.
2. A Confederate officer later said that he'd pointed Grant out to his men, saying that they were welcome to shoot him. Did anyone shoot at him?
(a) Yes, only once.
(c) Yes, but the shots purposely missed.
(d) Yes, several times.
3. Grant reported in September at the ________________ Barracks in St. Louis.
4. In Chapter 30, Grant described the battle at Vicksburg and Sherman's advance along the ___________ River.
5. Grant described an incident in which who was apparently killed but was later seen watching another fight?
(a) A soldier.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) A cockfighter.
(d) A bullfighter.
6. In Chapter 19, Grant was named _________________ and said he was surprised by the promotion.
7. Grant described the unrest of the nation in the winter of _______________.
8. During a brief leave to go home, Grant wrote a letter to Adjutant-General Colonel L. Thomas, saying that he'd been educated at the government's expense and now wanted to do what?
(b) Leave the country.
(c) Die for his country.
(d) Be a school teacher.
9. In Chapter 27, Grant moved to _______________, where he set up headquarters.
(c) St. Louis.
10. Grant contrasted General _______ with General Taylor.
11. Grant described the use of the ____________ at this siege.
12. Where was Grant born?
(a) Bowling Green, Ohio.
(b) Point Pleasant, Ohio.
(c) Conneaut, Ohio.
(d) Cleveland, Ohio.
13. In Chapter 39, Grant outlined a plan to assault ___________ that was eventually vetoed.
14. Grant talked about the Indians, saying that the trades between Indians and whites had originally been done in ___________, but business had moved to silver half-dollars.
15. In Chapter 26, the Union troops advanced on _____________, Mississippi, and soon reported that the city had been captured.
(d) Cape Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Grant say that Indians would do because they did not trust store owners to add up multiple purchases?
2. Grant's father, Jesse R. Grant, was the ________ son of his family.
3. The assault on the town that is the answer to #82 resulted in ______________ losses.
4. In Chapter 22, Grant planned to attack Fort Donelson but was hampered by what?
5. In Chapter 12, Grant was promoted to _________________.
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)