|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant noted that the fifty-dollar gold pieces were not government issue but were common in the area and were called what?
2. The Confederates destroyed Union supplies intended for Grant's army and he sent troops out in widening circles to gather what?
(d) Everything they could find.
3. In Chapter 10, the military moved quickly from Vera Cruz to avoid what?
(a) Having to spend a hot summer in Mexico.
(b) A backlash from the civilians.
(c) Mexican soldiers.
(d) The potential for yellow fever outbreaks among the men.
4. In Chapter 18, Grant left Galena as commander of the _______ Regiment.
5. Davis had orders that Grant would return to St. Louis where Grant discovered that he was to take command of what?
(a) The large district in Missouri and Illinois.
(b) The large district in Illinois.
(c) The large district in Illinois and Indiana.
(d) The large district in Missouri and Nebraska.
6. In Chapter 14, Grant married who?
(a) Jill Dennison.
(b) Jennifer DeVane.
(c) Jamie Deveraux.
(d) Julia Dent.
7. In Chapter 38, why did the siege end?
(a) No soldiers on either side were healthy enough to continue fighting.
(b) The Northerns called for a truce.
(c) A torrential rain began that made it impossible to continue fighting.
(d) The Confederates called for a truce.
8. Grant talked about the Indians, saying that the trades between Indians and whites had originally been done in ___________, but business had moved to silver half-dollars.
9. On ____________, Grant issued a series of orders, including an order sending John A. McClernand to the right wing, Sherman to the left, and James B. McPherson at the middle.
(a) November 20, 1863.
(b) April 20, 1863.
(c) May 20, 1863.
(d) September 20, 1863.
10. Grant said the Confederate troops were driven steadily back and eventually retreated. Grant said the victory was cinched by the arrival of whom?
(a) General Albert Sidney Johnston.
(b) General George Washington.
(c) General W.H.L. Wallace.
(d) General Robert E. Lee.
11. In Chapter 21, Grant described the assault and capture of ____________.
(a) Fort David.
(b) Fort Scott.
(c) Fort Henry.
(d) Fort Stewart.
12. How does Grant describe the civilians at Monterey?
13. In Chapter 39, Grant outlined a plan to assault ___________ that was eventually vetoed.
14. Eventually, Grant was ordered to San Francisco. When Grant's uniform first arrived, he put it on and went out in public. Why?
(a) He was hoping to encourage others to join the military.
(b) He was apparently seeking acclaim for his military service.
(c) He was promoting attending West Point.
(d) He had no other clothes to wear.
15. In Chapter 36, Grant said the campaign had been successful in doing what?
(a) Gaining more supporters of the northern cause.
(b) Physically splitting two important Confederate troops.
(c) Weakening the morale of the Confederates.
(d) Giving him a sense of purpose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant said he worked hard, but in 1858, he became ill with what?
2. In Chapter 31, Grant's headquarters were moved to ___________ Springs.
3. In Chapter 17, states continued to secede from the Union and the Civil War broke out in ________ of 1861.
4. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
5. Grant described the unrest of the nation in the winter of _______________.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)