|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Davis had orders that Grant would return to St. Louis where Grant discovered that he was to take command of what?
(a) The large district in Illinois.
(b) The large district in Illinois and Indiana.
(c) The large district in Missouri and Illinois.
(d) The large district in Missouri and Nebraska.
2. Grant's time at West Point and in the military meant that he knew who?
(a) Many of the other long-term military men from both sides of the Civil War.
(b) Foreign military leaders.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) Many Union military leaders.
3. In Chapter 21, Grant described the assault and capture of ____________.
(a) Fort Stewart.
(b) Fort Henry.
(c) Fort David.
(d) Fort Scott.
4. Grant's father, Jesse R. Grant, was the ________ son of his family.
5. Grant received orders from General Halleck to change his position, but Grant did not. Why did he not obey?
(a) Grant had already put his own plans in motion.
(b) Halleck is a poor leader.
(c) Halleck's orders would be different if he knew the army's current situation.
(d) Grant does not take orders from anyone.
6. The military regiment left Corpus Christi and Grant was promoted to ______________.
(a) First Lieutenant.
(b) Lieutenant Colonel.
(c) Second Lieutenant.
(d) Lieutenant General.
7. The assault on the town that is the answer to #82 resulted in ______________ losses.
8. In Chapter 36, Grant said the campaign had been successful in doing what?
(a) Gaining more supporters of the northern cause.
(b) Giving him a sense of purpose.
(c) Physically splitting two important Confederate troops.
(d) Weakening the morale of the Confederates.
9. Grant described an incident in which who was apparently killed but was later seen watching another fight?
(a) A cockfighter.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A bullfighter.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
10. In Chapter 16, Grant resigned from the military. He and Julia had two children by this time and Grant moved the family to land she owned near what city?
(c) St. Louis.
(d) Santa Fe.
11. In Chapter 19, Grant was named _________________ and said he was surprised by the promotion.
12. The fighting continued and Grant described in detail the movements of the men and the ________-hour battle at Champion's Hill.
13. In Chapter 10, the military moved quickly from Vera Cruz to avoid what?
(a) The potential for yellow fever outbreaks among the men.
(b) Mexican soldiers.
(c) A backlash from the civilians.
(d) Having to spend a hot summer in Mexico.
14. Grant planned to do a short stint in the military before doing what?
(b) Going to medical school.
(d) Taking over his family's business.
15. On a Friday, Grant took a fall with his horse and was injured, though not as seriously as he might have been because of what?
(a) The medical care he received right after the accident.
(b) The softness of the rain-soaked ground.
(c) The way his horse fell.
(d) His skill as a rider.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Grant believe that he would be brave enough to fight a duel?
2. In Chapter 15, Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking what?
3. In Chapter 17, states continued to secede from the Union and the Civil War broke out in ________ of 1861.
4. What does Grant say about a fight at Molino del Rey?
5. In Chapter 34, the Union troops captured Port ____________. Grant was accompanied by his thirteen-year-old son.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)