|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant's time at West Point and in the military meant that he knew who?
(a) Many of the other long-term military men from both sides of the Civil War.
(b) Many Union military leaders.
(c) Foreign military leaders.
(d) The President of the United States.
2. How does Grant feel about his involvement in the Mexican War?
(a) He relished in it.
(b) He regretted it.
(c) He remembers it fondly.
(d) He does not remember much of it.
3. ______________ fell on Grant and left him painfully bruised and swollen.
(a) A building.
(b) A horse.
(c) A wall.
(d) A cart.
4. What does Grant say about a fight at Molino del Rey?
(a) That battle was useless.
(b) That battle was worth the many losses.
(c) That battle could not have been avoided.
(d) That battle could have been avoided completely.
5. Who was Nicholas P. Trist?
(a) A U.S. soldier who was a POW in Mexico.
(b) A U.S. civilian who risked his life to get important information to Grant.
(c) A U.S. representative charged with negotiating a peace treaty.
(d) A Christian missionary who translated during the peace treaty.
6. In Chapter 12, Grant was promoted to _________________.
(a) Lieutenant colonel.
(b) Lieutenant general.
(c) First lieutenant.
(d) Second lieutenant.
7. He described breaking ________ for working with the military.
8. Eventually, Grant was ordered to San Francisco. When Grant's uniform first arrived, he put it on and went out in public. Why?
(a) He was hoping to encourage others to join the military.
(b) He was apparently seeking acclaim for his military service.
(c) He was promoting attending West Point.
(d) He had no other clothes to wear.
9. The Confederates destroyed Union supplies intended for Grant's army and he sent troops out in widening circles to gather what?
(d) Everything they could find.
10. In Chapter 28, Grant described the battle of _________. Grant said that he wasn't pleased with the results.
11. After Grant enlisted in the army at the beginning of the Civil War, the women of Galena asked him to describe what in detail?
(a) The war.
(b) The places he had seen.
(c) The army uniform.
(d) Southern women.
12. What did Grant say that Indians would do because they did not trust store owners to add up multiple purchases?
(a) They would only come into buy one item at a time.
(b) They would add up their own purchases.
(c) They would not purchase anything at stores.
(d) They would pay for each separately.
13. The following May, Grant moved to Galena, Illinois, where he began working as what in his father's store?
(a) A cobbler.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A goldsmith.
(d) A clerk.
14. As Grant made the journey, he encountered a Union loyalist, Mr. ___________, who said there were Confederates in the area and that a neighbor, a Southern sympathizer, was certain to report Grant's presence.
(a) De Rosa.
(b) De Vane.
(c) De Loche.
(d) De Long.
15. Grant said he worked hard, but in 1858, he became ill with what?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) A recurring fever.
(c) Lung fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, Grant described the battle at Vicksburg and Sherman's advance along the ___________ River.
2. Why did Grant object to attending West Point?
3. In Chapter 18, Grant left Galena as commander of the _______ Regiment.
4. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
5. Davis had orders that Grant would return to St. Louis where Grant discovered that he was to take command of what?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)