|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant said the Confederate troops were driven steadily back and eventually retreated. Grant said the victory was cinched by the arrival of whom?
(a) General W.H.L. Wallace.
(b) General George Washington.
(c) General Albert Sidney Johnston.
(d) General Robert E. Lee.
2. Ulysses S. Grant's mother was ______________ and her family was from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and he knew little about her parentage.
(a) Harriet Smith.
(b) Hannah Simpson.
(c) Hillary Scott.
(d) Henrietta Sawyer.
3. In Chapter 32, Grant described the pressure of public opinion and said that no matter what criticism occurred, who stood behind him, providing support?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) George W. Bush.
(c) President Robert E. Lee.
(d) Stonewall Jackson.
4. In Chapter 31, Grant's headquarters were moved to ___________ Springs.
5. Grant was sent to Ironton, Missouri, and eventually on to Jefferson City. While there, he met who for the first time?
(a) Colonel Robert E. Lee.
(b) Colonel Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Colonel Mustard.
(d) Colonel Jefferson B. Davis.
6. In Chapter 21, Grant described the assault and capture of ____________.
(a) Fort Henry.
(b) Fort Scott.
(c) Fort Stewart.
(d) Fort David.
7. Grant planned to do a short stint in the military before doing what?
(c) Taking over his family's business.
(d) Going to medical school.
8. How does Grant feel about his involvement in the Mexican War?
(a) He relished in it.
(b) He remembers it fondly.
(c) He does not remember much of it.
(d) He regretted it.
9. Rosecrans wanted to pursue farther than Jonesboro but Grant, believing what, ordered him back?
(a) Confederate forces waiting in a good position would wipe out Rosecrans.
(b) Rosecrans was mentally ill.
(c) The troops were too weak to travel that far.
(d) Grant should be the one to lead the men to Jonesburo.
10. Grant mentioned the use of ______________ used by the Confederates in an apparent attempt to keep the Union men on their guard, though Grant said he couldn't remember a single death from that tactic.
(a) Armored tanks.
(b) Automatic weaponry.
(c) Shock and awe.
(d) An exploding shell.
11. After Grant enlisted in the army at the beginning of the Civil War, the women of Galena asked him to describe what in detail?
(a) The army uniform.
(b) The places he had seen.
(c) Southern women.
(d) The war.
12. Grant's situation changed yet again and he assumed the role of district commander in ______ Tennessee.
13. What did Grant say that Indians would do because they did not trust store owners to add up multiple purchases?
(a) They would only come into buy one item at a time.
(b) They would not purchase anything at stores.
(c) They would add up their own purchases.
(d) They would pay for each separately.
14. The Confederates destroyed Union supplies intended for Grant's army and he sent troops out in widening circles to gather what?
(a) Everything they could find.
15. Former slaves join up with the army and Grant's orders were to allow them to remain within the protection of the military, as long as the slaves do what?
(b) Find their own food.
(c) Do not talk to the Union soldiers.
(d) Arrive of their free will.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 27, Grant moved to _______________, where he set up headquarters.
2. Grant said he worked hard, but in 1858, he became ill with what?
3. Did Grant dwell on the duel he saw?
4. In Chapter 19, Grant was named _________________ and said he was surprised by the promotion.
5. Grant described the unrest of the nation in the winter of _______________.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)