|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Grant resigned from the military. He and Julia had two children by this time and Grant moved the family to land she owned near what city?
(a) Santa Fe.
(d) St. Louis.
2. Former slaves join up with the army and Grant's orders were to allow them to remain within the protection of the military, as long as the slaves do what?
(a) Find their own food.
(c) Arrive of their free will.
(d) Do not talk to the Union soldiers.
3. Who was Nicholas P. Trist?
(a) A Christian missionary who translated during the peace treaty.
(b) A U.S. civilian who risked his life to get important information to Grant.
(c) A U.S. representative charged with negotiating a peace treaty.
(d) A U.S. soldier who was a POW in Mexico.
4. He described breaking ________ for working with the military.
5. In Chapter 25, Grant said Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston was wounded at Shiloh and, refusing to give up his command because _________________, remained on his horse until he was so weak from loss of blood that he died.
(a) He wanted to beat the Union soldiers.
(b) He was not willing to give up control.
(c) The wound was not severe.
(d) There was no one to take over.
6. In Chapter 17, states continued to secede from the Union and the Civil War broke out in ________ of 1861.
7. In Chapter 27, Grant moved to _______________, where he set up headquarters.
(c) St. Louis.
8. In Chapter 33, Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of what?
9. Mexico would gain Texas but give up all rights to what?
(b) California and New Mexico.
(c) California and Utah.
(d) Washington, Oregon, and California.
10. After Grant enlisted in the army at the beginning of the Civil War, the women of Galena asked him to describe what in detail?
(a) The army uniform.
(b) The war.
(c) Southern women.
(d) The places he had seen.
11. Grant noted that the fifty-dollar gold pieces were not government issue but were common in the area and were called what?
12. In Chapter 34, the Union troops captured Port ____________. Grant was accompanied by his thirteen-year-old son.
13. How does Grant describe the civilians at Monterey?
14. Grant said that once the city fell, it seemed that long-term occupation would be _____________.
15. Grant said he worked hard, but in 1858, he became ill with what?
(b) Scarlet fever.
(c) Lung fever.
(d) A recurring fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant believed that "a _______________ advance to Atlanta, to Vicksburg, or to any other desired point south" would have been possible, but the advantage was not pressed.
2. In Chapter 35, Grant learned that McPherson's campaign was successful and Grant, who was with Sherman's men, pressed the advantage in order to capture who?
3. In Chapter 21, Grant described the assault and capture of ____________.
4. Sherman questioned __________ Grant had planned after the siege at Vicksburg.
5. In Chapter 38, why did the siege end?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)