|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ulysses S. Grant's mother was ______________ and her family was from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and he knew little about her parentage.
(a) Harriet Smith.
(b) Henrietta Sawyer.
(c) Hillary Scott.
(d) Hannah Simpson.
2. Grant cited the nature of the fort's commander and predicted what?
(a) A great deal of opposition.
(b) No opposition.
(c) Quite a bit of opposition.
(d) Little opposition.
3. In Chapter 36, Grant said the campaign had been successful in doing what?
(a) Physically splitting two important Confederate troops.
(b) Weakening the morale of the Confederates.
(c) Gaining more supporters of the northern cause.
(d) Giving him a sense of purpose.
4. In Chapter 12, Grant was promoted to _________________.
(a) Second lieutenant.
(b) Lieutenant general.
(c) First lieutenant.
(d) Lieutenant colonel.
5. In Chapter 25, Grant said Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston was wounded at Shiloh and, refusing to give up his command because _________________, remained on his horse until he was so weak from loss of blood that he died.
(a) He wanted to beat the Union soldiers.
(b) The wound was not severe.
(c) He was not willing to give up control.
(d) There was no one to take over.
6. The military regiment left Corpus Christi and Grant was promoted to ______________.
(a) First Lieutenant.
(b) Lieutenant Colonel.
(c) Lieutenant General.
(d) Second Lieutenant.
7. Did Grant know everything there was to know about the war being waged in Mexico?
8. In Chapter 15, Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking what?
(a) Their fortunes in gold.
(b) New friendships.
(c) Lost family members.
9. On ____________, Grant issued a series of orders, including an order sending John A. McClernand to the right wing, Sherman to the left, and James B. McPherson at the middle.
(a) September 20, 1863.
(b) November 20, 1863.
(c) April 20, 1863.
(d) May 20, 1863.
10. He described breaking ________ for working with the military.
11. What did Grant say that Indians would do because they did not trust store owners to add up multiple purchases?
(a) They would add up their own purchases.
(b) They would only come into buy one item at a time.
(c) They would not purchase anything at stores.
(d) They would pay for each separately.
12. In Chapter 30, Grant described the battle at Vicksburg and Sherman's advance along the ___________ River.
13. Why did Grant object to attending West Point?
(a) He did not want to be in the military.
(b) His family did not have the money to send him to West Point.
(c) He did not want to attend college.
(d) He feared he could not pass.
14. Who was Nicholas P. Trist?
(a) A U.S. civilian who risked his life to get important information to Grant.
(b) A U.S. representative charged with negotiating a peace treaty.
(c) A Christian missionary who translated during the peace treaty.
(d) A U.S. soldier who was a POW in Mexico.
15. In Chapter 33, Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The assault on the town that is the answer to #82 resulted in ______________ losses.
2. Grant was sent to Ironton, Missouri, and eventually on to Jefferson City. While there, he met who for the first time?
3. Grant mentioned the use of ______________ used by the Confederates in an apparent attempt to keep the Union men on their guard, though Grant said he couldn't remember a single death from that tactic.
4. He asked for cavalry but was assigned to what?
5. In Chapter 32, Grant described the pressure of public opinion and said that no matter what criticism occurred, who stood behind him, providing support?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)