|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant built a house and sought to make a living from what?
(a) Owning a general store.
(b) The land.
(c) Teaching at a local school.
2. Grant's situation changed yet again and he assumed the role of district commander in ______ Tennessee.
3. Grant talked about the Indians, saying that the trades between Indians and whites had originally been done in ___________, but business had moved to silver half-dollars.
4. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
5. In Chapter 18, Grant left Galena as commander of the _______ Regiment.
6. While the United States wanted a war with Mexico over disputed territory, Grant said what was important?
(a) That Mexico made the first hostile move.
(b) That the U.S. treat the Mexicans humanely.
(c) That Mexico give up their territory without any dispute.
(d) That the U.S. made the first hostile move.
7. Davis had orders that Grant would return to St. Louis where Grant discovered that he was to take command of what?
(a) The large district in Missouri and Illinois.
(b) The large district in Missouri and Nebraska.
(c) The large district in Illinois.
(d) The large district in Illinois and Indiana.
8. He asked for cavalry but was assigned to what?
(a) The armored division.
(b) The airborne division.
(c) The infantry.
(d) The mountain division.
9. Grant described the unrest of the nation in the winter of _______________.
10. Grant noted after the surrender of Vicksburg that the men taken prisoner did what regarding the Union Army?
(a) They begged them to let them go free.
(b) They ignored them.
(c) They teased and taunted them.
(d) They talked and mingled with them.
11. In Chapter 23, Grant received another promotion, this time to _______________ of the volunteers. In this role, he ordered a march on Nashville. There was some wrangling over the command and Grant was briefly relieved of the command then returned to the position.
12. Grant described an incident in which who was apparently killed but was later seen watching another fight?
(a) A cockfighter.
(b) A soldier.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) A bullfighter.
13. Grant cited the nature of the fort's commander and predicted what?
(a) A great deal of opposition.
(b) Quite a bit of opposition.
(c) Little opposition.
(d) No opposition.
14. In Chapter 10, the military moved quickly from Vera Cruz to avoid what?
(a) The potential for yellow fever outbreaks among the men.
(b) Having to spend a hot summer in Mexico.
(c) Mexican soldiers.
(d) A backlash from the civilians.
15. Grant was sent to Ironton, Missouri, and eventually on to Jefferson City. While there, he met who for the first time?
(a) Colonel Robert E. Lee.
(b) Colonel Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Colonel Mustard.
(d) Colonel Jefferson B. Davis.
Short Answer Questions
1. On a Friday, Grant took a fall with his horse and was injured, though not as seriously as he might have been because of what?
2. In Chapter 30, Grant described the battle at Vicksburg and Sherman's advance along the ___________ River.
3. Grant said that he looked back on the taking of "the City of Mexico" and could see that the troops should have done what?
4. The military regiment left Corpus Christi and Grant was promoted to ______________.
5. Grant's father, Jesse R. Grant, was the ________ son of his family.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)