|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grant say about a fight at Molino del Rey?
(a) That battle could have been avoided completely.
(b) That battle could not have been avoided.
(c) That battle was worth the many losses.
(d) That battle was useless.
2. Grant's situation changed yet again and he assumed the role of district commander in ______ Tennessee.
3. Where was Grant born?
(a) Point Pleasant, Ohio.
(b) Conneaut, Ohio.
(c) Cleveland, Ohio.
(d) Bowling Green, Ohio.
4. In Chapter 38, why did the siege end?
(a) No soldiers on either side were healthy enough to continue fighting.
(b) A torrential rain began that made it impossible to continue fighting.
(c) The Confederates called for a truce.
(d) The Northerns called for a truce.
5. Did Grant believe that he would be brave enough to fight a duel?
(a) Yes, maybe.
(b) Yes, if he had no other choice.
(c) No, never.
(d) Yes, of course.
6. Former slaves join up with the army and Grant's orders were to allow them to remain within the protection of the military, as long as the slaves do what?
(a) Do not talk to the Union soldiers.
(b) Arrive of their free will.
(d) Find their own food.
7. Who taunted Grant?
(a) Another soldier.
(b) Most people with whom Grant came into contact in San Francisco.
(c) A ragged child.
(d) The governor of California.
8. The military moved to Vera Cruz where the Americans beat at the city's walls until General ____________, the commander of the city, surrendered and General Scott's forces moved into the city.
9. In Chapter 29, troops supporting Grant at Corinth were moved out and Grant said it put him in the unenviable position of being what?
(b) On the defensive.
(c) On the offensive.
10. Grant said General Rosecrans, who had not been successful at Corinth, did what in his advance again upon Corinth?
(a) Not provide enough rations for the trip.
(b) Took too few troops.
(c) Took a very exposed route.
(d) Took the wrong road.
11. Grant talked about the Indians, saying that the trades between Indians and whites had originally been done in ___________, but business had moved to silver half-dollars.
12. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
13. Lincoln called for volunteers and Grant joined, taking control of what?
(a) Those soldiers coming from West Point.
(b) The other volunteers until they arrived at their assignments.
(c) The other military leaders until they were given their assignments.
(d) The young soldiers.
14. In Chapter 39, Grant outlined a plan to assault ___________ that was eventually vetoed.
15. Ulysses S. Grant's mother was ______________ and her family was from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and he knew little about her parentage.
(a) Henrietta Sawyer.
(b) Harriet Smith.
(c) Hillary Scott.
(d) Hannah Simpson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant noted after the surrender of Vicksburg that the men taken prisoner did what regarding the Union Army?
2. Rosecrans wanted to pursue farther than Jonesboro but Grant, believing what, ordered him back?
3. Grant reported in September at the ________________ Barracks in St. Louis.
4. Grant was sent to Ironton, Missouri, and eventually on to Jefferson City. While there, he met who for the first time?
5. Grant believed that "a _______________ advance to Atlanta, to Vicksburg, or to any other desired point south" would have been possible, but the advantage was not pressed.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)