|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The military moved to Vera Cruz where the Americans beat at the city's walls until General ____________, the commander of the city, surrendered and General Scott's forces moved into the city.
2. In Chapter 17, states continued to secede from the Union and the Civil War broke out in ________ of 1861.
3. In Chapter 25, Grant said Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston was wounded at Shiloh and, refusing to give up his command because _________________, remained on his horse until he was so weak from loss of blood that he died.
(a) He was not willing to give up control.
(b) He wanted to beat the Union soldiers.
(c) The wound was not severe.
(d) There was no one to take over.
4. In Chapter 19, Grant was named _________________ and said he was surprised by the promotion.
5. Former slaves join up with the army and Grant's orders were to allow them to remain within the protection of the military, as long as the slaves do what?
(a) Do not talk to the Union soldiers.
(c) Find their own food.
(d) Arrive of their free will.
6. Did Grant know everything there was to know about the war being waged in Mexico?
7. The move was prompted, in part, by the proximity of whom?
(a) So many other experienced commanders.
(b) So many Confederate troops.
(c) So many wealthy families.
(d) So many military families.
8. Where was Grant born?
(a) Cleveland, Ohio.
(b) Conneaut, Ohio.
(c) Bowling Green, Ohio.
(d) Point Pleasant, Ohio.
9. Did Grant dwell on the duel he saw?
(a) No, he hardly mentions the duel or its effect on him.
(b) No, he talked mostly about the impact of the duel on the family members of those involved in a duel.
(c) No, he talked mostly about the impact of the duel on his own thoughts.
(d) Yes, he spent a great deal of time replaying the duel.
10. Grant joined Sherman on his march into what town?
11. After Grant enlisted in the army at the beginning of the Civil War, the women of Galena asked him to describe what in detail?
(a) The army uniform.
(b) The places he had seen.
(c) Southern women.
(d) The war.
12. Grant believed that "a _______________ advance to Atlanta, to Vicksburg, or to any other desired point south" would have been possible, but the advantage was not pressed.
13. In Chapter 35, Grant learned that McPherson's campaign was successful and Grant, who was with Sherman's men, pressed the advantage in order to capture who?
14. In Chapter 10, the military moved quickly from Vera Cruz to avoid what?
(a) The potential for yellow fever outbreaks among the men.
(b) Mexican soldiers.
(c) A backlash from the civilians.
(d) Having to spend a hot summer in Mexico.
15. On ____________, Grant issued a series of orders, including an order sending John A. McClernand to the right wing, Sherman to the left, and James B. McPherson at the middle.
(a) November 20, 1863.
(b) May 20, 1863.
(c) September 20, 1863.
(d) April 20, 1863.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Confederates destroyed Union supplies intended for Grant's army and he sent troops out in widening circles to gather what?
2. What did Grant say that Indians would do because they did not trust store owners to add up multiple purchases?
3. Mexico would gain Texas but give up all rights to what?
4. In Chapter 30, Grant described the battle at Vicksburg and Sherman's advance along the ___________ River.
5. In Chapter 28, Grant described the battle of _________. Grant said that he wasn't pleased with the results.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)