|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fighting continued and Grant described in detail the movements of the men and the ________-hour battle at Champion's Hill.
2. In Chapter 38, why did the siege end?
(a) No soldiers on either side were healthy enough to continue fighting.
(b) The Northerns called for a truce.
(c) The Confederates called for a truce.
(d) A torrential rain began that made it impossible to continue fighting.
3. Grant was impressed with whom at West Point?
(a) General Jackson.
(b) General Peterson.
(c) General Scott.
(d) General Davies.
4. In Chapter 13, Grant attended ________________ and said he didn't understand why people enjoyed the sport.
(a) A bullfight.
(c) A dogfight.
(d) A cockfight.
5. Grant returned to Corinth where he was faced with the daunting task of arranging _________________ for a large number of forces.
(c) Training facilities.
6. Grant was sent to Ironton, Missouri, and eventually on to Jefferson City. While there, he met who for the first time?
(a) Colonel Robert E. Lee.
(b) Colonel Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Colonel Jefferson B. Davis.
(d) Colonel Mustard.
7. ______________ fell on Grant and left him painfully bruised and swollen.
(a) A wall.
(b) A horse.
(c) A building.
(d) A cart.
8. After Grant enlisted in the army at the beginning of the Civil War, the women of Galena asked him to describe what in detail?
(a) The army uniform.
(b) The war.
(c) Southern women.
(d) The places he had seen.
9. Did Grant believe that he would be brave enough to fight a duel?
(a) Yes, maybe.
(b) Yes, if he had no other choice.
(c) No, never.
(d) Yes, of course.
10. How does Grant describe the civilians at Monterey?
11. In Chapter 31, Grant's headquarters were moved to ___________ Springs.
12. In Chapter 21, Grant described the assault and capture of ____________.
(a) Fort Stewart.
(b) Fort Henry.
(c) Fort David.
(d) Fort Scott.
13. Grant described an incident in which who was apparently killed but was later seen watching another fight?
(a) A cockfighter.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A bullfighter.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
14. Rosecrans wanted to pursue farther than Jonesboro but Grant, believing what, ordered him back?
(a) Rosecrans was mentally ill.
(b) The troops were too weak to travel that far.
(c) Grant should be the one to lead the men to Jonesburo.
(d) Confederate forces waiting in a good position would wipe out Rosecrans.
15. In Chapter 19, Grant was named _________________ and said he was surprised by the promotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ulysses S. Grant's mother was ______________ and her family was from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and he knew little about her parentage.
2. Grant believed that "a _______________ advance to Atlanta, to Vicksburg, or to any other desired point south" would have been possible, but the advantage was not pressed.
3. He asked for cavalry but was assigned to what?
4. Grant mentioned the use of ______________ used by the Confederates in an apparent attempt to keep the Union men on their guard, though Grant said he couldn't remember a single death from that tactic.
5. Grant's father, Jesse R. Grant, was the ________ son of his family.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)