|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15 through 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a brief leave to go home, Grant wrote a letter to Adjutant-General Colonel L. Thomas, saying that he'd been educated at the government's expense and now wanted to do what?
(a) Be a school teacher.
(c) Die for his country.
(d) Leave the country.
2. Did Grant dwell on the duel he saw?
(a) Yes, he spent a great deal of time replaying the duel.
(b) No, he talked mostly about the impact of the duel on his own thoughts.
(c) No, he talked mostly about the impact of the duel on the family members of those involved in a duel.
(d) No, he hardly mentions the duel or its effect on him.
3. In Chapter 12, Grant was promoted to _________________.
(a) Lieutenant general.
(b) Second lieutenant.
(c) Lieutenant colonel.
(d) First lieutenant.
4. In Chapter 20, Grant's troops came under fire for the first time at Belmont and he said they reacted how?
(a) Like veteran fighters.
(b) Like volunteers.
(c) Like children.
(d) Like old men.
5. Grant built a house and sought to make a living from what?
(a) Teaching at a local school.
(b) The land.
(c) Owning a general store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant said that once the city fell, it seemed that long-term occupation would be _____________.
2. Grant said that he looked back on the taking of "the City of Mexico" and could see that the troops should have done what?
3. Grant described an incident in which who was apparently killed but was later seen watching another fight?
4. He described breaking ________ for working with the military.
5. The military moved to Vera Cruz where the Americans beat at the city's walls until General ____________, the commander of the city, surrendered and General Scott's forces moved into the city.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)