|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1 through 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, the military moved quickly from Vera Cruz to avoid what?
(a) Mexican soldiers.
(b) A backlash from the civilians.
(c) Having to spend a hot summer in Mexico.
(d) The potential for yellow fever outbreaks among the men.
2. Who taunted Grant?
(a) Most people with whom Grant came into contact in San Francisco.
(b) A ragged child.
(c) Another soldier.
(d) The governor of California.
3. While the United States wanted a war with Mexico over disputed territory, Grant said what was important?
(a) That the U.S. treat the Mexicans humanely.
(b) That Mexico give up their territory without any dispute.
(c) That Mexico made the first hostile move.
(d) That the U.S. made the first hostile move.
4. How does Grant describe the civilians at Monterey?
5. Grant described an incident in which who was apparently killed but was later seen watching another fight?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A bullfighter.
(c) A cockfighter.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, Grant married who?
2. Grant contrasted General _______ with General Taylor.
3. Grant was impressed with whom at West Point?
4. The military regiment left Corpus Christi and Grant was promoted to ______________.
5. Did Grant believe that he would be brave enough to fight a duel?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)