|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 50 through.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant described the men posted at the edge of the river at Chattanooga and said they were accustomed to seeing what?
(a) Many large animals.
(b) Confederates getting water from the opposite side of the river.
(c) Men swim away down the river.
(d) Soldiers drown in the rough waters.
2. In Chapter 53, Grant recommended _____________ of his officers for promotion.
(d) Very few.
3. At Grant's request, _________________ was transferred to take over the command of the Army of Tennessee which was headquartered near Grant's location.
4. The march was grueling and Grant said that everyone had been told to carry only what was necessary, but he saw various items discarded along the way. Why?
(a) The items had spoiled.
(b) In soldiers' efforts to lighten their loads.
(c) The men were not hungry.
(d) Mice had gotten into their packs.
5. Grant and other officers were within full view - and rifle range - of the Confederates one day. Did the enemy shoot at them?
(a) Yes, one time.
(b) Yes, many times.
(c) No, never.
(d) Yes, a couple of times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant planned to do a short stint in the military before doing what?
2. Grant received orders from General Halleck to change his position, but Grant did not. Why did he not obey?
3. Grant told a story about __________ that he said epitomized the man's character.
4. Grant had another meeting with Lincoln and when Grant outlined his plan and reason for advancing, Lincoln said that he understood and compared it to a saying he'd heard, "If a man can't skin he must hold ___________ while somebody else does".
5. Grant returned to Corinth where he was faced with the daunting task of arranging _________________ for a large number of forces.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)