|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 40 through 49.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 34, the Union troops captured Port ____________. Grant was accompanied by his thirteen-year-old son.
2. Grant noted that the fifty-dollar gold pieces were not government issue but were common in the area and were called what?
3. While the United States wanted a war with Mexico over disputed territory, Grant said what was important?
(a) That the U.S. made the first hostile move.
(b) That Mexico give up their territory without any dispute.
(c) That the U.S. treat the Mexicans humanely.
(d) That Mexico made the first hostile move.
4. Who was Nicholas P. Trist?
(a) A Christian missionary who translated during the peace treaty.
(b) A U.S. representative charged with negotiating a peace treaty.
(c) A U.S. civilian who risked his life to get important information to Grant.
(d) A U.S. soldier who was a POW in Mexico.
5. The military moved to Vera Cruz where the Americans beat at the city's walls until General ____________, the commander of the city, surrendered and General Scott's forces moved into the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant was sent to Ironton, Missouri, and eventually on to Jefferson City. While there, he met who for the first time?
2. Grant and other officers were within full view - and rifle range - of the Confederates one day. Did the enemy shoot at them?
3. How does Grant feel about his involvement in the Mexican War?
4. In Chapter 15, Grant arrived in San Francisco and said there were many there seeking what?
5. Grant ordered a commander named General _________ to begin rebuilding the railroad though they have only primitive tools and this general's abilities with which to work.
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)