|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 50 through.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two days later, Grant set up a military trap with several troops apparently exposed to attack, hoping what?
(a) The Confederates would run in the opposite direction.
(b) The Confederates would see through his plan.
(c) The Confederates would try a similar tactic.
(d) The Confederates would use the apparent opportunity.
2. The march was grueling and Grant said that everyone had been told to carry only what was necessary, but he saw various items discarded along the way. Why?
(a) The men were not hungry.
(b) Mice had gotten into their packs.
(c) In soldiers' efforts to lighten their loads.
(d) The items had spoiled.
3. In Chapter 54, Grant said the troops traveling in _________________ were faced with a different kind of country than they'd typically encountered across the south. The roads were in better condition and there was hardly ever a person seen other than those armed with Confederate sympathies.
(c) North Carolina.
4. In Chapter 33, Grant set up a supply depot at Perkins' plantation and described a sense of what?
5. In Chapter 38, why did the siege end?
(a) The Northerns called for a truce.
(b) The Confederates called for a truce.
(c) A torrential rain began that made it impossible to continue fighting.
(d) No soldiers on either side were healthy enough to continue fighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 32, Grant described the pressure of public opinion and said that no matter what criticism occurred, who stood behind him, providing support?
2. During a brief leave to go home, Grant wrote a letter to Adjutant-General Colonel L. Thomas, saying that he'd been educated at the government's expense and now wanted to do what?
3. Grant said he worked hard, but in 1858, he became ill with what?
4. Each man carried ________ days' supply of food in addition to what was being hauled. As a wagon was emptied, it returned to a base camp where it was again filled with the same load and returned to the army camps.
5. In Chapter 16, Grant resigned from the military. He and Julia had two children by this time and Grant moved the family to land she owned near what city?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)