|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Men and women typically __________ after dinner in Washington, but as Kay rebels, the practice disappears all over Washington.
2. Kay says she should have __________ the letter where AG John Mitchell called the Post 'the best paper in the country.'
3. Phil pressures John F. Kennedy to __________ taxes in order to boost the economy, a move which is successful.
4. Beebe dies of ______ the day after listening to Nixon's speech and giving a last hurrah from his hospital bed.
5. The _________ staff at the Washington Post continues to work as usual during the upheaval.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Stevenson meets up with Kay when she is in London on her way to the Aegean?
2. How does Kay feel that some of her feelings of inferiority have been bred into her generation of women?
3. What is the line that Phil uses in his speeches that is still quoted to this day?
4. What does Kay look forward to when John Prescott comes in to take the place of Ignatius?
5. What happens when there are union negotiations taking place at the Post?
6. What action does Phil take that Kay is not completely convinced is a good idea?
7. What does Bradlee do in order to help improve the Post staff in his new position?
8. What does Buffet suggest that Kay do with the undervalued stock?
9. What does the Nixon spokesman first say of the Democratic National Committee Headquarters break-in?
10. What does Simmons unload in order to begin to help the Washington Post be as profitable as possible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of sexism runs rampant in this book, with even Kay's father telling her that no man should be working for his wife when Kay's husband is given the position at the Post as opposed to her.
Part 1: Why do you think Kay's father thought that Phil was up to the task for the job?
Part 2: Do you think Kay would have made a better editor than Phil did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that men though women were less able to handle the stresses of the newspaper world?
Essay Topic 2
Kay says this many a time - she was dependent on her husband for everything, though she seems to consciously make this choice to be dependent.
Part 1: Why do you think that Kay was so dependent on her husband?
Part 2: Do you think you will be just as dependent on your future partner? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that Kay stood by his side, even during his affair with another woman?
Essay Topic 3
Politics seem to play a central role in much of the book and for much of Kay's life, even delaying her wedding ceremony for a short while.
Part 1: Why do you think politics is such an important topic to those in Kay's family?
Part 2: How do you feel about the role of politics in your life? Does it play a large or small role?
Part 3: Do you think that politics should be a greater topic of conversation in this society? Why or why not?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)