|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Margaret Ellen Powell is hired by the Meyerses in order to raise the ________ children they will eventually have.
2. ____________ can still function when he needs to, through correspondence, memos, and telephone.
3. Why is the person in #55 not keen on Phil marrying Kay?
4. Kay does not join the ____________ party, choosing to remain the good girl, even though many of her friends have joined.
5. For how long is Phil in seclusion after his breakdown during his time at the Post?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father think about Kay's admission to the London School of Economics?
2. What does Father take from the hint of family friend and journalist, Eleanor Medill 'Cissy' Patterson?
3. What do Mother and Phil lock heads over during the years at Glen Welby, where life seems right?
4. What kind of man is John Sweeterman, who is brought in as a Post business manager?
5. What does Agnes consider to be a part of the contract of marriage in terms of duties?
6. How is Father's crusade to improve the Washington Post aided during his leadership of the paper?
7. How does Kay avoid academic probation after battling with a hated history teacher?
8. Where does Kay's education begin as she is growing up as a part of the Meyer family?
9. What is Philip Graham doing when Kay Meyer first meets him in Washington?
10. What does Kay think it is wiser for her to do since she is the daughter of a publisher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In writing a memoir, Kay is faced with the events of her life and realizes she could have handled things much differently than she did.
Part 1: Why do you think that Kay decided to write the memoir in the first place?
Part 2: Do you think that anyone ever lives a life without any regrets? Why or why not?
Part 3: What regrets do you have and how have you managed to deal with the feeling of regret?
Essay Topic 2
While there is rampant sexism in the times of the book, Kay's mother seems to carve out her own path, regardless of any boundaries before her.
Part 1: Why do you think that Kay's mother was able to have such an enriching and varied life?
Part 2: Why do you think that Agnes' passion for life and learning couldn't have been incorporated into how she raised her children?
Part 3: What does this say about Kay's mother that she focused more on the outside world than on her family?
Essay Topic 3
What's interesting about Eugene is that he too starts off the Post without having much training in the business world, though he is able to turn what he does know into a promising publication.
Part 1: Why do you think Eugene ended up being successful in his work with the newspaper?
Part 2: Do you think you could simply start up a newspaper without having any training or business experience? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are the advantages to starting a business that you know nothing of?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)