|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dugan duped the management into thinking that the pressmen would ___________.
(a) Give up negotations
(b) Complete the run
(c) Listen to an offer
(d) Be more reasonable
2. What does Mother do with Kay in order to take her mind off thinking about Phil's suicide?
(a) Lets her move home
(b) Stays at the house with her
(c) Lets her cry on her shoulder
(d) Takes her on a cruise
3. Kay is advised to fight for the Post and to prepare ___________ to inherit the paper by clerking during the summer.
4. Kay believes that after Phil's suicide, she has lost Phil _____________.
5. Nixon suggests that Kay invite ___________ to an editorial luncheon to brief editors on Vietnam policy.
(a) Lyndon Johnson
(b) Spiro Agnew
(c) Henry Kissinger
(d) Steve Truman
Short Answer Questions
1. Kay is told it will take her __________ years to win the people's hearts from the Vietcong.
2. Men and women typically __________ after dinner in Washington, but as Kay rebels, the practice disappears all over Washington.
3. Phil pressures John F. Kennedy to __________ taxes in order to boost the economy, a move which is successful.
4. The White House plays down fears that the company's _________ might be in danger when the time comes for renewal.
5. It comes out that Nixon has a _____________ about which he has apparently forgotten.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bradlee do in order to help improve the Post staff in his new position?
2. How does the Post already regard Richard Nixon as told from the point of view of Kay?
3. What does the Nixon spokesman first say of the Democratic National Committee Headquarters break-in?
4. What is the world's reaction to Watergate during this time, as it's only just begun to unfold?
5. What is the purpose of the cruise that Mother takes Kay on during this part of Kay's memoir?
6. How might one describe Kay's relationship to Sweeterman during her position at the Post?
7. What does Phil do in order to pay for the purchase of the news magazine for business people?
8. What does Pearson keep Kay from doing during the situation with Phil?
9. What are the standing orders of Bradlee during the Watergate story that is unfolding?
10. What is the line that Phil uses in his speeches that is still quoted to this day?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)