|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does Kay find to be a vibrant, youthful city, swept clean of stodginess?
(c) Washington D.C.
(d) San Francisco
2. Who quickly leaves to go to Harvard and joins Newsweek's European staff?
(a) Cissy Armstrong
(b) Ben Bradlee
(c) Kay Graham
(d) Don Wiggins
3. What is the traumatic event that happens to Eugene's brother, Edgar?
(a) He drowns in his bath tub
(b) He is murdered
(c) Perishes on Titanic
(d) Commits suicide
4. Father shares concerns about the ___________ threat with Kay.
5. What is the name of the journal of the New School for Social Research that Agnes helps to co-found and edit?
(c) The Inner Work
(d) The Tidal
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is continuously on call to talk with Phil as he recuperates from his breakdown?
2. What is the job that Truman offers to Father, an offer Father cannot refuse?
3. How does Eugene fare in his new position as offered to him by President Truman?
4. President Truman's _____________ Emergency Committee is based on Father's suggestion.
5. Kay's _________ celebration is more restrained than most, though she meets a good friend there.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Grahams do as they must cooperate on labor relations at their papers?
2. Why can't the Washington Post attract any high quality staff to write for the paper?
3. How is Father's crusade to improve the Washington Post aided during his leadership of the paper?
4. What is Philip Graham doing when Kay Meyer first meets him in Washington?
5. What happens when Kay ingratiates herself to several key labor figures during a labor dispute she is covering?
6. What does Mother think of the women that she meets when she is living in Washington with Eugene?
7. Where do the Meyers spend their summers after spending their winters in Washington?
8. What is Kay surprised about when she drives to Florida to see Phil's family?
9. Why does Phil denounce the efforts of the Teamsters to unionize the Post's circulation?
10. What does Father take from the hint of family friend and journalist, Eleanor Medill 'Cissy' Patterson?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)