|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under which president does Eugene become managing director of the War Finance Corporation?
(b) Richard Nixon
(d) Warren Harding
2. At what publication does Father get Kay a job to conceal her ties to the Post?
(a) Chicago Tribune
(b) New York Times
(c) San Francisco News
(d) Los Angeles Times
3. Frankfurter approves of Phil and Kay, but ___________ is not keen about the arrangement.
(a) Mary Graham
(b) Eugene Meyer
(c) Ernest Graham
(d) Agnes Meyer
4. ___________ wants to read all of Kay's copy after she has written it.
5. What is the name of the journal of the New School for Social Research that Agnes helps to co-found and edit?
(b) The Tidal
(d) The Inner Work
Short Answer Questions
1. Eugene Meyer is a 32-year-old self-made millionaire _________ and art collector.
2. Where do Phil and Kay sail off to for their honeymoon trip after the wedding?
3. Polly Wisner hosts a _____________ party in order to bolster the esteem and the recognition of Kay.
4. Kay begins to write the __________ section of the Sunday Post while Phil is busy at work.
5. What city does Kay find to be a vibrant, youthful city, swept clean of stodginess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kay avoid academic probation after battling with a hated history teacher?
2. Mother takes more of an active role in politics, but what does she feel pride about doing at this point?
3. What kind of man is John Sweeterman, who is brought in as a Post business manager?
4. What does Agnes do four months after the birth of Kay?
5. What happens when Kay ingratiates herself to several key labor figures during a labor dispute she is covering?
6. What is the offer that Kay accepts from the Washington Post as she continues to keep company with her father?
7. Why does Kay not agree with Phil's choice to back Bradlee's crusade to desegregate swimming pools in Washington?
8. Where does Kay's education begin as she is growing up as a part of the Meyer family?
9. What is Philip Graham doing when Kay Meyer first meets him in Washington?
10. Kay states in her book that Agnes did not fall in love with Eugene instantly. What was she attracted to in him?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)