|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what school does Agnes attend courses during her marriage to Eugene?
2. What does Agnes do for two months after the birth of Elizabeth in 1914?
(a) Stays in a mental ward
(b) Runs for office
(c) Stays at home with her
(d) Travels around Europe
3. To where does Phil transfer when he finds the Office of Strategic Services too political?
(a) Peace Corps
(d) Air corps
4. What does Eugene know he can count on Agnes to provide for him during their marriage?
(b) Social wiles
(c) Staunch support
(d) Loving motherly instincts
5. Who is the dominant influence in the lives of Phil and Kay, reveling in gossip, arguments, and irreverence?
6. What does Kay decline to join as they only invite her reluctantly because of her half-Jewish background?
(a) Political organizations
(b) French Club
(c) Youth group
7. Who is the costly acquisition that is strong and domineering as he goes about cleaning up the organization at the new paper?
(a) Estes Kefauver
(b) John Sweeterman
(c) Ben Bradlee
(d) Harry Gladstein
8. What is the nickname of family friend Eleanor Medill Patterson?
9. What reveals a frightening frenzy in Phil and almost forces them to call off the wedding?
10. What do Phil and Kay call their baby, who is causing Kay to be on bedrest to avoid another miscarriage?
11. What is NOT one of the duties that Agnes feels she has to do as a part of her marriage contract?
(a) Bear and raise children
(b) Make love
(c) Run the household
(d) Act as a hostess
12. Dr. Farber is treating Phil, but whose psychology does this therapist use in dealing with patients?
(a) Paulo Coehlo
(b) Carl Jung
(c) Sigmund Freud
(d) Rollo May
13. Polly Wisner hosts a _____________ party in order to bolster the esteem and the recognition of Kay.
(a) Kay - This is Your Life
(b) Salute to Kay Graham
(c) Here's Kay
(d) Hats off to Kay
14. What is the newspaper that the Post buys in order to help strengthen the company?
(a) New Yorker
(c) New York Times
(d) Chicago Tribune
15. WWI falls conveniently at the time Eugene's __________ calls for him to take up public service.
(d) Map of life
Short Answer Questions
1. Under which president does Eugene become managing director of the War Finance Corporation?
2. Phili is also the co-editor of the prestigious ____________ at his university.
3. What does Kay need during this trying time though she does not know how to admit it?
4. Who learns of the purchase of Eugene's publication, though she learns of it secondhand?
5. What is the job that Truman offers to Father, an offer Father cannot refuse?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)