|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1941, _____________ declares the Washington Post a journal of national importance.
(b) Eugene Meyer
(c) New York Times
(d) The president
2. Kay battles with a hated __________ teacher about a paper on the position of women in the Middle Ages.
3. To where do Agnes and Eugene finally move their children to live?
4. The presence of Mattie Jeffres retards Kay's learning of basic _____________ skills.
5. Who learns of the purchase of Eugene's publication, though she learns of it secondhand?
6. Dr. Farber is treating Phil, but whose psychology does this therapist use in dealing with patients?
(a) Carl Jung
(b) Rollo May
(c) Sigmund Freud
(d) Paulo Coehlo
7. Kay begins to write the __________ section of the Sunday Post while Phil is busy at work.
8. Kay's _________ celebration is more restrained than most, though she meets a good friend there.
(b) Coming out
9. _____________, nearing seventy, is enjoying recognition for his/her diverse and useful work.
(a) Ruth and Florence
(d) Ernest Graham
10. At what school does Agnes attend courses during her marriage to Eugene?
11. What does Agnes do for two months after the birth of Elizabeth in 1914?
(a) Stays at home with her
(b) Runs for office
(c) Travels around Europe
(d) Stays in a mental ward
12. Kay admits to being shyer and less confident, being fearful of _____________.
(c) Boring others
(d) Her husband
13. To what school does Kay transfer after not going to the London School of Economics?
(a) University of Maryland
(b) University of Chicago
(c) Boston University
(d) Smith College
14. What is one of the rooms in the new house on R street that receives the special attention of Kay?
(a) Living room
15. What is the newspaper that the Post buys in order to help strengthen the company?
(a) New York Times
(b) Chicago Tribune
(d) New Yorker
Short Answer Questions
1. Kay is a part of the press corps who attends _________'s press conference in the Oval Office after Hitler invades Poland.
2. The ____________, unlike Father, cannot subsidize the losses of the paper and are fortunate the CBS radio operation is profitable.
3. What is NOT one of the duties that Agnes feels she has to do as a part of her marriage contract?
4. The _______________ raises a furor over Kay working without pay at the Mount Vernon Argus.
5. Bob Elliott invites Kay to be his __________ on two labor confrontations.
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)