|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose king does Rica witness the crowning of in letter 104?
2. In letter 93, where is the woman from whom the head women eunuch purchases?
3. Why does Rhedi think Muslims are blessed?
4. What are Armenians for the Persian empire according to Usbek?
5. What are the moral reasons for the dwindling population according to Usbek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Persian Letters, there is a strong emphasis on the formation of character, whether through religion or learning. In an essay, analyze the correlation made between the study of science and the destruction of man, giving examples of how learning, particularly the study of science might harm man.
Essay Topic 2
The Persian Letters reflects heavily on the treatment of women, especially wives in society during the time the letters were written. Examine the treatment of women and compare it with the treatment of women in society today.
Essay Topic 3
Montesquieu uses a foreigner's perspective to present the country of France. Analyze why Montesquieu may have chosen to use correspondence as a way to comment on the society in which he lived. Use several examples to support your discussion.
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)