|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter does Rica say is causing confusion at the university he visits in letter 106?
2. What is Rica writing about in letter 106?
3. What does Rica consider himself to be a good example of?
4. Whose habit does Usbek talk about in the 100th letter?
5. What is the quality that keeps people from fearing each other according to Usbek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Persian Letters, Usbek writes about many contradictions in Christian thought, particularly between how Christians believe chastity and married life are both holy. In an essay, students should give reasoning for the Christian way of thinking, using the book and other sources to refute Usbek's argument.
Essay Topic 2
Montesquieu uses a foreigner's perspective to present the country of France. Analyze why Montesquieu may have chosen to use correspondence as a way to comment on the society in which he lived. Use several examples to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
In the Persian Letters, examine the concept of love and humanity as described by Montesquieu.
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)