|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes family life more orderly according to Usbek's experience?
2. What is notable about Venice according to letter 29?
3. Who was Zachi found with according to letter 19?
4. Why does the head of the black eunuchs want to made Pharan a eunuch, according to the letter he writes Usbek?
5. Why is Rustan supportive of Usbek according to the 5th letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sentiment does Usbek have about his decision about the guardian of his wives and home?
2. What conclusion does Rica send to Ibben concerning the difference between men of different cultures?
3. What is justice according to Usbek in letter 81?
4. In letter 105, what does Usbek think is popular in Europe and who do they cater to?
5. What does Usbek discover about Paris coffee houses according to letter 34?
6. What did the Troglodytes do after fighting their neighbors off?
7. How does Usbek see the resolution of the crisis between Persian and Armenians?
8. What quality does Rica praise in a man according to supplementary letter 7?
9. What does Zelis do to her 7 year old daughter in letter 60?
10. What does the republic result from according to Rica in Letter 125?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Persian Letters uses satire to describe the travels of two Persian brothers, Usbek and Rica. In an essay, define satire and examine Montesquieu's use of satire in the novel and discuss how it benefits the story and character development.
Essay Topic 2
Usbek discusses divergent effects that laws have on human behavior and how different cultures address diseases of the spirit. Discuss what behaviors may be considered divergent and affect the spirit and how Persian culture may address these differently than western Europeans.
Essay Topic 3
The Persian Letters examines the difference between Persians and western Europeans regarding courting and marital relations. In an essay, examine the differences and similarities between the two cultures and discuss the potential ramifications, such as cultural expectations. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)