|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Usbek's feelings about his decision to leave?
2. What does Usbek encounter in the streets of Paris?
3. How did the society in letters 10 to 14 fare after it stabilized?
4. Who is Usbek writing letter 33 to?
5. Which of Usbek's wives writes the 3rd letter back to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Usbek's orders concerning Pharan after reading both the head eunuch and Pharan's letters?
2. Why do women gamble in France according to Usbek?
3. What does Usbek say about countries inhabited by undomesticated people?
4. What is powerless according to Rica in Letter 71 and why?
5. What does Zelis accuse Usbek of being in supplementary letter 11 and why?
6. When talking about the habits of Persian princes, why does Usbek feel the need to add "sensible" to his description?
7. What does Rica think of his visit to the library according to letters 127 to 131?
8. What is justice according to Usbek in letter 81?
9. What is happening in Usbek's seraglio according to the head eunuch in letter 139?
10. Why does Usbek think Christians are not good Christians or even citizens in letter 44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Persian Letters examines the difference between Persians and western Europeans regarding courting and marital relations. In an essay, examine the differences and similarities between the two cultures and discuss the potential ramifications, such as cultural expectations. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In Persian Letters, Montesquieu examines the importance of ritual and the pacification of the gods. In an essay, discuss what rituals may be intended to pacify the gods and why they are important to Muslims or those in other religions. Students should use quotes from the book and a secondary source to support their discussion and make sure they define ritual in their essay.
Essay Topic 3
Ubsek discusses the way that religion and government interact and how they may interact in a positive manner. Compare his discussion with common beliefs of the separation of church and state today, then make a conclusion about which argument has more merit.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)