|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who weds in letter 51?
2. What does Usbek say in letter 19 that the white eunuch should be thankful for?
3. What is debated in different parts of the world according to letter 36?
4. Who does Usbek write the 1st letter to?
5. What does Usbek think of Christians according to letter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Usbek request from Rustan in his first letter following his departure?
2. What is powerless according to Rica in Letter 71 and why?
3. What conclusion does Rica send to Ibben concerning the difference between men of different cultures?
4. What does Zelis do to her 7 year old daughter in letter 60?
5. What does Rica compare the King of France and the Pope to?
6. What does the republic result from according to Rica in Letter 125?
7. Why does Usbek consider Smyrna powerful in letter 18?
8. What is the Papal Bull silliness according to Usbek in letter 98?
9. Why does Usbek spare the life of the white eunuch found alone with Zachi?
10. What do the women Rica use as an example do to be called noble by Rica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Persian Letters, Usbek emphasizes religious contrasts between Muslims and Christians. Analyze the comparison between being a Muslim and aspects of Christianity, using the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
In Persian Letters, the setting is often changing or shifting between the seraglio and locations to which Usbek's group is traveling. Examine the role of the setting and analyze how Montesquieu uses setting to enhance the story line. Students should use the book to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Montesquieu uses personification in his description of justice. In an essay, define personification and analyze why Montesquieu uses personification to write about justice. Students should use examples from the book to support their discussion.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)