|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Usbek write the 44th letter to?
2. Where is Usbek's house located?
3. What does Rustan write to Usbek about the community's view on Usbek's trip?
4. What do the wives who are not beaten believe in Nargum's letter?
5. Why does the head of the black eunuchs write Usbek in the 39th letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nargum lament in letter 79?
2. In letter 105, what does Usbek think is popular in Europe and who do they cater to?
3. Who is Mehemet Ali?
4. Who does Usbek leave in charge of his home in Ispahan before leaving?
5. What does Zelis do to her 7 year old daughter in letter 60?
6. Why did the Troglodytes' neighbors want to rob them of according to Usbek?
7. What did the Troglodytes do after fighting their neighbors off?
8. Why are the women described by Rica in letter 23 against the Constitution?
9. What boundaries do the laws of a monarchy dictate according to Usbek in letter 91?
10. What does Usbek think of countries that allow discipline of children in letter 78?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Montesquieu uses a foreigner's perspective to present the country of France. Analyze why Montesquieu may have chosen to use correspondence as a way to comment on the society in which he lived. Use several examples to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The Persian Letters asks a relevant question regarding dominion or what nature gave man. In an essay, address whether women, Africans, or another group is intended by nature to be subject to man, and explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Montesquieu emphasizes the need for religious tolerance in Persian Letters and equates reason with tolerance. Examine how he addresses religious beliefs, practice, and leadership in the Persian Letters.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)