|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Usbek been in Paris by the time he sends letter 22?
2. Who did Usbek leave in charge of his seraglio?
3. What happened to Zachi and her servant according to letter 45?
4. What does Usbek hope will spread to the rest of the world from Europe?
5. What is the name of Zephis's slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What quality does Rica praise in a man according to supplementary letter 7?
2. What does Usbek tell Ibben in letter 95 about the fickleness of fortune?
3. What people does Rica speak of in letter 48?
4. What does Usbek discover about Paris coffee houses according to letter 34?
5. What does Usbek request from Rustan in his first letter following his departure?
6. Why are the Troglodytes a unique civilization according to Usbek in letters 11 to 14?
7. What does Nargum lament in letter 79?
8. Who is the only wife that behaves in the seraglio?
9. What fashion do French people prefer and what drawback are they accepting about it in letter 97?
10. What does Usbek encourage the eunuch to do according to letter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Usbek writes several times about changes in population and gives examples of different causes. Analyze and discuss the causes of changes in population and conclude which one is more likely. Students should use secondary sources to determine population during the time the book was written to support their essay.
Essay Topic 2
In Persian Letters, there is a strong emphasis on the formation of character, whether through religion or learning. In an essay, analyze the correlation made between the study of science and the destruction of man, giving examples of how learning, particularly the study of science might harm man.
Essay Topic 3
In Persian Letters, Usbek writes about half-hearted lifestyles, particularly how Christians seem to interpret the laws to their benefit in regard to slavery. Discuss the correlation between rationalizing personal behavior and adhering to one's beliefs.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)