|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is debated in different parts of the world according to letter 36?
(b) The rights of children.
(c) The power of kings.
(d) The rights of women.
2. What does the Mullah advise Usbek to refer to to find answers to his questions in letter 17?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) Traditions of the Doctors.
(c) The Mullah's book.
(d) The Bible.
3. According to letter 15, where does the Mullah live?
(a) Among the tombs of Qum.
(b) In Mecca.
(c) In Persepolis.
(d) In Baghdad.
4. How long has Usbek been in Paris by the time he sends letter 22?
(a) Over a month
(b) Over three months.
(c) He just arrived.
(d) Over a week.
5. What would have happened to the men Usbek described as depraved in letter 46?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the society in letters 10 to 14 fare after it stabilized?
2. Who does Usbek write the 44th letter to?
3. Who is Rica dining with in letter 66?
4. Who does Nargum write about in letter 49?
5. What does Usbek encounter in the streets of Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zelis accuse Usbek of being in supplementary letter 11 and why?
2. Why are the Troglodytes a unique civilization according to Usbek in letters 11 to 14?
3. What is the relationship between the head eunuch and Jaron, the eunuch Usbeck brought with him according to the supplementary letters?
4. What conclusion does Rica send to Ibben concerning the difference between men of different cultures?
5. What problem does the University of Paris face, and what example of the problem does Usbek give?
6. What is affluence based on in Paris according to Rica?
7. Who is Mehemet Ali?
8. Why did the Troglodytes' neighbors want to rob them of according to Usbek?
9. How does Usbek see the resolution of the crisis between Persian and Armenians?
10. What people does Rica speak of in letter 48?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)