|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What argument does Usbek use as an example in letter 34?
(a) Argument about the validity of humanism.
(b) Argument about the birthplace of a Greek poet.
(c) Argument about the death of a French entrepreneur.
(d) Argument about the death of a king.
2. Why did the neighbors of the society described in letters 10 to 14 become jealous?
(a) They had a better leader.
(b) The society was more bountiful.
(c) They had better land.
(d) They have more women.
3. What is powerless according to Rica in letter 71?
(a) The French king.
(b) The French Navy.
(c) The French Academy.
(d) The French government.
4. What does Usbek tell Zelis he is proud of in letter 69?
(a) His intellect.
(b) Her love for her daughter.
(c) His wives.
(d) Her love for him.
5. How much punishment should a government apply to the people in order to make them respect the law according to Usbek?
(a) The slightest amount.
(b) Prison only.
(c) As much as possible
(d) Death for all crimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Usbek leave in charge of his seraglio?
2. Where is Usbek's house located?
3. Who does Usbek write the 44th letter to?
4. What is the main topic of letter 67?
5. Why did two men die when the women took a trip to the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is forced to leave France and why according to Rica?
2. In letter 93, what does the head eunuch purchase and who does he purchase it from?
3. How does Usbek see the resolution of the crisis between Persian and Armenians?
4. What does Rica think of his visit to the library according to letters 127 to 131?
5. What happens to the head eunuch in letter 141?
6. Why does the relationship between Zachi and her servant turn sour according to Usbek in letter 19?
7. What happened to Roxanne according to letter 150?
8. What is Usbek hoping to achieve with the help of the Mullah according to letter 16?
9. What boundaries do the laws of a monarchy dictate according to Usbek in letter 91?
10. What is affluence based on in Paris according to Rica?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)