|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activities can Usbek's wives do in his absence?
(a) Only horseback riding.
(b) Nothing; they have to be confined at all time.
(c) Only immoral activities.
(d) Any moral and accepted activities.
2. What keeps Usbek busy in letter 46?
(d) Acquisition of knowledge.
3. What is common in Europe according to Rica?
(b) Good wine.
(c) Prideful men.
4. From whose excrement does the pig come from according to the Mullah in letter 17?
5. How much punishment should a government apply to the people in order to make them respect the law according to Usbek?
(a) As much as possible
(b) Prison only.
(c) Death for all crimes.
(d) The slightest amount.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real reason for Usbek trip?
2. Why does the head of the black eunuchs want to made Pharan a eunuch, according to the letter he writes Usbek?
3. What does the 10th letter ask Usbek?
4. Why did two men die when the women took a trip to the country?
5. Why do French women gamble, according to Usbek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the only wife that behaves in the seraglio?
2. What does Rica write to the Jewish doctor in letter 136?
3. Who is criticizing Usbek according to Rustan?
4. Why are the women described by Rica in letter 23 against the Constitution?
5. What does Usbek say about countries inhabited by undomesticated people?
6. Who is forced to leave France and why according to Rica?
7. Why is Pharan complaining in letter 40?
8. What does Rica think of his visit to the library according to letters 127 to 131?
9. Why does the head eunuch want Usbek to return home?
10. What do we learn about the situation in Usbek's Persian home in letter 39?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)