|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Usbek conclude a government should take into consideration when handling punishments?
(a) What other countries do.
(b) The accused person's religion.
(c) The personalities of the people.
(d) The strength of the people.
2. Who weds in letter 51?
(b) Zechi's daughter.
(c) Zelis's slave.
3. What do the society described in letters 10 to 14 do when their neighbors attack them?
(a) They let them take what they want.
(b) They let them integrate in their society.
(c) They flee.
(d) They defeat them.
4. How much punishment should a government apply to the people in order to make them respect the law according to Usbek?
(a) Prison only.
(b) Death for all crimes.
(c) The slightest amount.
(d) As much as possible
5. According to letter 33, what parallel does Usbek make?
(a) The parallel between men and slaves.
(b) The parallel between men and women.
(c) The parallel between Christianity and Islam.
(d) The parallel between slaves and eunuchs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Usbek use to appeal to his wives to behave?
2. What did the neighbors of the society described in letters 10 to 14 want from them?
3. How did the society in letters 10 to 14 fare after it stabilized?
4. What did Usbek's wife do as a form of amusement in his absence?
5. What argument does Usbek use as an example in letter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in Usbek's seraglio according to the head eunuch in letter 139?
2. What does Nargum lament in letter 79?
3. What irony does Usbek point out to Rhedi in letter 102?
4. Who does Usbek leave in charge of his home in Ispahan before leaving?
5. Why are the women described by Rica in letter 23 against the Constitution?
6. In letter 93, what does the head eunuch purchase and who does he purchase it from?
7. What is Usbek hoping to achieve with the help of the Mullah according to letter 16?
8. When talking about the habits of Persian princes, why does Usbek feel the need to add "sensible" to his description?
9. What problem does the University of Paris face, and what example of the problem does Usbek give?
10. What fashion do French people prefer and what drawback are they accepting about it in letter 97?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)