|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rica writing about in letter 106?
(a) University of Paris.
(b) University of Milan.
(c) University of London.
(d) University of London.
2. Who gives Usbek the information in letter 100?
(a) A good Italian.
(b) A sensible European.
(c) A trusted Persian.
(d) A bad Frenchman.
3. In letter 93, where is the woman from whom the head women eunuch purchases?
4. What is said to guarantee men's loyalty in Europe?
5. What happens to the woman killed by her husband in the story in letter 135?
(a) She is taken as a slave in heaven.
(b) She is reincarnated.
(c) She goes to hell.
(d) She enjoys great pleasures goes to heaven.
6. Why does the head eunuch think he is good at buying women?
(a) He loves all women.
(b) He is good at negotiating prices.
(c) He wants one for himself.
(d) He is not attracted to them.
7. Whose death is reported to Usbek in letter 141?
(b) The head eunuch.
8. What does Rica visit according to letter 127 to 131?
(a) A Catholic library.
(b) A Muslim library.
(c) A Protestant library.
(d) A Roman library.
9. What does Rica think of the man that introduced him to the library?
(a) He is not intelligent.
(b) He is not very friendly.
(c) He is friendly.
(d) He is boring.
10. How does Ubsek call the silliness he talks about in letter 98?
(a) Papal cat.
(b) Papal Bull.
(c) Papal dog.
(d) Papal horse.
11. What is the main question asked by letter 114?
(a) Why is Africa so hot?
(b) Why is Africa depopulating?
(c) Why is Africa divided?
(d) Why is Africa so big?
12. What are the topics of letters 87 and 88?
(a) Wives and concubines.
(b) Glory and fame.
(c) War and peace.
(d) Men and women.
13. According to Usbek, what choice do the tax laws leave men to choose between?
(a) Life and land.
(b) Women and money.
(c) Virtue and intelligence.
(d) Life and money.
14. What does the woman killed by her husband in the story in letter 135 do to her husband as retribution?
(a) She sends a woman to kill him.
(b) She sends a ghost to torment him.
(c) She sends a double to replace him in the seraglio.
(d) She sends a man to turn him into a eunuch.
15. What does the eunuch ask Usbek in letter 93?
(a) To send him money.
(b) To bring back more eunuchs.
(c) To repudiate a wife.
(d) To come back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rica ridicule in letter 80?
2. What letter does Rica say is causing confusion at the university he visits in letter 106?
3. Why does Rhedi think Muslims are blessed?
4. What does Zelis do while being in public?
5. Who does Rica think is of no use according to letter 124?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)