|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ubsek amazed with according to letter 95 to Ibben?
(a) How long he has to wait to receive letters.
(b) That the rich can become poor so quickly.
(c) How intelligent the king of France is.
(d) How independent women are.
2. What books do Rica and the curator talk about according to letter 128?
3. How many times does Usbek say the Muslims were struck down by God?
(a) 5 times.
(b) 2 times.
(c) 3 times.
(d) 1 time.
4. Who is Usbek writing to in letter 119?
(b) Mehemet Ali.
(c) The great mogul.
5. What does Zelis do while being in public?
(a) She was talking with a man.
(b) She allowed her veil to fall.
(c) She was singing.
(d) She was smiling.
6. What letter does Rica say is causing confusion at the university he visits in letter 106?
7. What is Rica writing about in letter 106?
(a) University of London.
(b) University of Paris.
(c) University of Milan.
(d) University of London.
8. What is the main question asked by letter 114?
(a) Why is Africa divided?
(b) Why is Africa so hot?
(c) Why is Africa depopulating?
(d) Why is Africa so big?
9. What happened to letter 140 according Narsit?
(a) It was not read.
(b) It was ignored.
(c) It was lost.
(d) It was burned.
10. Who must work harder to be accepted in a society according to Usbek?
(a) The least represented religion.
(c) The most represented religion.
(d) Those who don't believe in God.
11. In letter 126, what does the philosopher believe will cause the death of all humans?
(a) A new planet.
(b) A new star.
(c) A good place to live.
(d) A sun spot.
12. Who does Usbek give authority over the women in the seraglio in letter 146?
13. Who does Rica think is of no use according to letter 124?
(c) Truth mongers.
14. In who does Usbek confide about his fear about what his happening to his wives?
(a) The Grand Vizir.
(c) The sultan.
15. What does the western woman talking to Rica not like about Persian culture?
(a) The food.
(b) The philosophy.
(c) The literature.
(d) The seraglio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the head eunuch think he is good at buying women?
2. What does Rica ridicule in letter 80?
3. Whose king does Rica witness the crowning of in letter 104?
4. Why does Roxane send Usbek letter 150?
5. How should nations treat each other according to Usbek?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)