|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the moral reasons for the dwindling population according to Usbek?
(a) Polygamy and divorce.
(b) Monogamy and forced marriage.
(c) Forced marriage.
(d) Independent women.
2. What are the topics of letters 87 and 88?
(a) Wives and concubines.
(b) Glory and fame.
(c) War and peace.
(d) Men and women.
3. What would the French rather copy than create according to Rica in letter 97?
4. What does Usbek think of inhabited countries?
(a) They should be left that way.
(b) They should be used for farming.
(c) They should be used by slaves.
(d) They should be populated.
5. What does the head slave think will happen to the women in the seraglio when a new woman is brought there?
(a) They will leave.
(b) They will be happy.
(c) They will revolt.
(d) They will behave.
6. What does Rica ridicule in letter 80?
(a) European fashion.
(b) European women.
(c) European communication.
(d) European men.
7. Who does Rica visit in letter 82?
(a) A European jail.
(b) A monastery.
(c) A women's retreat.
(d) Those wounded in battle.
8. What does the monk in letter 129 think of astrological books?
(a) They are accurate.
(b) They are too big.
(c) They are pitiful.
(d) They cannot be read easily.
9. What does Rica visit according to letter 127 to 131?
(a) A Muslim library.
(b) A Protestant library.
(c) A Catholic library.
(d) A Roman library.
10. Who entered in the house occupied by Usbek's wives during the time they spent in the country?
11. What novels shocked the monk in letter 130 more than the novels found in Europe?
(a) Novels from Persia.
(b) Novels from the Americas.
(c) Novels from China.
(d) Novels from India.
12. What does the rich man wish in letter 126?
(a) To have titles.
(b) To have an education.
(c) To have land.
(d) To have wisdom.
13. What does Nargum lament concerning the Tartars?
(a) They don't care about slaves.
(b) They don't have good food.
(c) They don't have a written history.
(d) They don't know how to read or write.
14. Who must work harder to be accepted in a society according to Usbek?
(a) The least represented religion.
(b) The most represented religion.
(d) Those who don't believe in God.
15. What letter does Rica say is causing confusion at the university he visits in letter 106?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zelis do while being in public?
2. Who was Zachi found in bed with?
3. What does Nargum write about the Tartars to Usbek?
4. What answer does Usbek give to the central question of letter 114?
5. What does Rica write about in letter 120?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)