|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to letter 140 according Narsit?
(a) It was ignored.
(b) It was lost.
(c) It was burned.
(d) It was not read.
2. What is the quality that keeps people from fearing each other according to Usbek?
3. What does Rica think of the man that introduced him to the library?
(a) He is friendly.
(b) He is boring.
(c) He is not intelligent.
(d) He is not very friendly.
4. Who does Rica visit in letter 82?
(a) A European jail.
(b) A monastery.
(c) A women's retreat.
(d) Those wounded in battle.
5. What answer does Usbek give to the central question of letter 114?
(a) Slave trade.
(b) Too many kingdoms.
(c) Not enough roads.
(d) Not enough shade.
6. What is the subject of letter 121?
(a) The Persian ambassador leaving the country.
(b) The Persian government deposing the grand mogul.
(c) The Persian ambassador arriving in the country.
(d) The Persian grand Mogul accessing the throne.
7. Who entered in the house occupied by Usbek's wives during the time they spent in the country?
8. What is Rica writing about in letter 106?
(a) University of London.
(b) University of London.
(c) University of Milan.
(d) University of Paris.
9. How many times does Usbek say the Muslims were struck down by God?
(a) 1 time.
(b) 5 times.
(c) 2 times.
(d) 3 times.
10. Who must work harder to be accepted in a society according to Usbek?
(a) The least represented religion.
(b) The most represented religion.
(c) Those who don't believe in God.
11. What does Zelis do while being in public?
(a) She was talking with a man.
(b) She allowed her veil to fall.
(c) She was smiling.
(d) She was singing.
12. Why does the head eunuch think he is good at buying women?
(a) He is good at negotiating prices.
(b) He is not attracted to them.
(c) He loves all women.
(d) He wants one for himself.
13. Who does Rica think is of no use according to letter 124?
(d) Truth mongers.
14. In letter 93, where is the woman from whom the head women eunuch purchases?
15. Whose king does Rica witness the crowning of in letter 104?
(a) The King of France.
(b) The King of Spain.
(c) The King of Persia.
(d) The King of England.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Usbek, what choice do the tax laws leave men to choose between?
2. What does the woman killed by her husband in the story in letter 135 do to her husband as retribution?
3. What letter does Rica say is causing confusion at the university he visits in letter 106?
4. What does Rica write about in letter 120?
5. Who does Usbek give authority over the women in the seraglio in letter 146?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)