|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the neighbors of the society described in letters 10 to 14 want from them?
(a) To steal their women.
(b) To steal their flocks or livestock.
(c) To steal their land.
(d) To steal their ruler.
2. What is discussed about the society from letters 11 to 14?
(a) It does not have women.
(b) It does not have sheep.
(c) It's members do not drink milk.
(d) It has no rulers.
3. What does Usbek use letters 11 to 14 for?
(a) To describe Baghdad to Rustan.
(b) To complain about his travel condition.
(c) To ridicule his wife.
(d) To answer Mirza's question.
4. Who is Rica dining with in letter 66?
(b) A Jewish doctor.
(c) A king.
(d) A man who works in the law.
5. What kind of people does Rica dislike?
6. What is common in Europe according to Rica?
(b) Good wine.
(c) Prideful men.
7. What did Usbek uncover prior to his trip?
(a) A conspiracy
(b) A gold mine
(c) Some failing
(d) A murder.
8. Whose bodies are treated in a cruel manner in Europe?
(a) Dead Muslims.
(b) Dead women.
(c) Murder victims.
(d) Suicide victims.
9. What is the real reason for Usbek trip?
(a) He wanted to create a trade route.
(b) He wanted to make more money.
(c) He wanted to get away from his wives.
(d) He feared for his life.
10. How does Usbek describe the period of time the people of the society fought with each other?
(c) Full of promises.
(d) Weak and unjust.
11. Who does Usbek write the 44th letter to?
(d) The head eunuch.
12. How is the Ottoman Empire according to Usbek?
(a) At war.
13. For the common man, what are the consequences of having too many rules and regulations in religion according to Usbek?
(a) He doesn't care about the rules.
(b) He follows them like a machine.
(c) He makes his own rules.
(d) He doesn't know what pleases God.
14. What does the 10th letter ask Usbek?
(a) An explanation on why he didn't bring Rustan.
(b) An explanation on why he didn't bring his wives.
(c) An explanation on why he left.
(d) An explanation about a statement he made.
15. What does Rica do to blend in in Paris?
(a) He wears western clothes.
(b) He wears a top hat.
(c) He grows a beard.
(d) He gets drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes family life more orderly according to Usbek's experience?
2. Who weds in letter 51?
3. Who is trying to steal Zephis's slave?
4. Where is Usbek when he writes Letter 18?
5. What does Usbek think of Christians according to letter 44?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)