|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rica dining with in letter 66?
(b) A man who works in the law.
(c) A king.
(d) A Jewish doctor.
2. What is powerless according to Rica in letter 71?
(a) The French Navy.
(b) The French Academy.
(c) The French king.
(d) The French government.
3. Why do French women gamble, according to Usbek?
(a) To ruin their husbands.
(b) To be like men.
(c) Because they need money.
(d) Because they like it.
4. What is the name of Zephis's slave?
5. What did Usbek's wife do as a form of amusement in his absence?
(a) Went home.
(b) Went to the lake.
(c) Went to the country.
(d) Went to town.
6. Who is Usbek writing letter 33 to?
7. In the 1st letter, what is Usbek trying to explain?
(a) His desire to settle down.
(b) His desire to learn about other places.
(c) His desire to meet Rustan.
(d) His desire to have a bigger harem.
8. According to letter 15, where does the Mullah live?
(a) Among the tombs of Qum.
(b) In Persepolis.
(c) In Mecca.
(d) In Baghdad.
9. How is the Ottoman Empire according to Usbek?
(c) At war.
10. Why is Rustan supportive of Usbek according to the 5th letter?
(a) He is Usbek's employee.
(b) They are friends.
(c) He looks over Usbek's wives.
(d) They are related.
11. What does Usbek tell Zelis he is proud of in letter 69?
(a) Her love for him.
(b) Her love for her daughter.
(c) His intellect.
(d) His wives.
12. What is debated in different parts of the world according to letter 36?
(b) The rights of children.
(c) The power of kings.
(d) The rights of women.
13. How is Usbek's confidence toward who he left in charge of the Seraglio?
(a) None, he didn't want that person, but had no choice.
(b) Medium, he is confident, but had someone else double check regularly.
(c) Very low, he is fearful.
(d) Very high, he has no fear.
14. Who are the gravest people according to letter 32?
(b) Eastern women.
15. What do the society described in letters 10 to 14 do when their neighbors attack them?
(a) They let them integrate in their society.
(b) They let them take what they want.
(c) They flee.
(d) They defeat them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Zachi found with according to letter 19?
2. How does Usbek describe the king of France and the pope?
3. What does Usbek order the black eunuch to do?
4. Who wrote letter 10 to Usbek?
5. Why does the head of the black eunuchs write Usbek in the 39th letter?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)