|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Usbek tell Zelis he is proud of in letter 69?
(a) His intellect.
(b) Her love for him.
(c) His wives.
(d) Her love for her daughter.
2. What is the name of Zephis's slave?
3. Which of Usbek's wives writes the 3rd letter back to him?
4. How long has Usbek been in Paris by the time he sends letter 22?
(a) Over a week.
(b) Over a month
(c) He just arrived.
(d) Over three months.
5. What is powerless according to Rica in letter 71?
(a) The French king.
(b) The French Academy.
(c) The French Navy.
(d) The French government.
6. What does Usbek say in letter 19 that the white eunuch should be thankful for?
(a) Not being fired.
(b) Not being dead.
(c) Not being sold.
(d) Not being beaten.
7. How is a person's superiority proven in Persia?
(a) By his feelings of superiority.
(b) By the number of his wives.
(c) By his fortune.
(d) By his kindness.
8. Who does Usbek write the 1st letter to?
9. What people does Usbek use to make his point in letters 11 to 14?
(a) The Egyptians.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Troglodytes.
(d) The Greeks.
10. What does Usbek think of Christians according to letter 44?
(a) They are not polite.
(b) They are dirty.
(c) They are not good Christians.
(d) They are not smart.
11. Where is Usbek's house located?
12. What does Rustan write to Usbek about the community's view on Usbek's trip?
(a) The community does not know he left.
(b) The community is talking badly about Usbek.
(c) The community is indifferent.
(d) The community is waiting for more of his stories.
13. What problems arise for Usbek during his trip according to the letter he writes to Nessir?
(a) His slave escaped.
(b) He fell for a western woman.
(c) He ran out of money.
(d) His health is failing.
14. What makes family life more orderly according to Usbek's experience?
(a) A strong father.
(b) Being allowed to discipline children.
(c) A strong mother.
(d) Being forbidden to discipline children.
15. What is the usual punishment for the eunuch's crime according to letter 19?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Persian women defend even after their marriage?
2. Who was Zachi found with according to letter 19?
3. What are the men wasting their intelligence on according to letter 34?
4. What does Usbek encounter in the streets of Paris?
5. What did Usbek's wife do as a form of amusement in his absence?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)