|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did two men die when the women took a trip to the country?
(a) They came too close to the ladies' vehicle.
(b) They were escaped slaves.
(c) They were beggars.
(d) They tried to attack them.
2. What makes family life more orderly according to Usbek's experience?
(a) Being allowed to discipline children.
(b) A strong father.
(c) Being forbidden to discipline children.
(d) A strong mother.
3. Who does Usbek write the 44th letter to?
(b) The head eunuch.
4. Whose bodies are treated in a cruel manner in Europe?
(a) Dead women.
(b) Murder victims.
(c) Dead Muslims.
(d) Suicide victims.
5. What does Usbek say in letter 19 that the white eunuch should be thankful for?
(a) Not being sold.
(b) Not being fired.
(c) Not being beaten.
(d) Not being dead.
6. What did Usbek uncover prior to his trip?
(a) A gold mine
(b) Some failing
(c) A murder.
(d) A conspiracy
7. How did the society in letters 10 to 14 fare after it stabilized?
(a) They became extinct.
(b) They multiplied into a country of vicious people.
(c) They multiplied into a whole country of virtuous people.
(d) They moved to another land.
8. What happened to Zachi and her servant according to letter 45?
(a) They killed each other.
(b) They fled together.
(c) They hate each other.
(d) They reconciled.
9. What does Usbek use letters 11 to 14 for?
(a) To ridicule his wife.
(b) To answer Mirza's question.
(c) To complain about his travel condition.
(d) To describe Baghdad to Rustan.
10. What do Persian women defend even after their marriage?
(a) Their freedom.
(b) Their virginity.
(c) Their right to learn.
(d) Their right to travel.
11. How is a person's superiority proven in Persia?
(a) By his feelings of superiority.
(b) By the number of his wives.
(c) By his fortune.
(d) By his kindness.
12. How does Usbek describe the period of time the people of the society fought with each other?
(b) Full of promises.
(d) Weak and unjust.
13. What is the chief eunuch's main problem in being left behind to guard Usbek's wives?
(a) He is attracted to the women.
(b) He is overwhelmed.
(c) He is bored.
(d) He wanted to travel.
14. Who does Nargum write about in letter 49?
(a) Freed eunuch.
(b) Slaves of Persia.
(c) Men of Muscovy.
(d) Women of Paris.
15. How is Usbek's confidence toward who he left in charge of the Seraglio?
(a) None, he didn't want that person, but had no choice.
(b) Medium, he is confident, but had someone else double check regularly.
(c) Very low, he is fearful.
(d) Very high, he has no fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Usbek, why is the city he is in in letter 18 considered great or powerful?
2. Who are the gravest people according to letter 32?
3. What does Rica do to blend in in Paris?
4. What is Usbek mourning in letter 76?
5. What is the name of the white eunuch that broke the rule in letter 19?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)