|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson does Satrapi say she learned about confrontation?
2. What did Satrapi’s mother make for her when she went to her first party?
3. How does Satrapi represent her feelings when she finds out her friend has been killed?
4. What does Satrapi say Iranians are Olympic athletes in?
5. How did Satrapi describe the war in her report for school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confrontation do Satrapi and her classmates have with their teachers?
2. What is the routine Satrapi and her family follow once the bombings start?
3. How do conditions change as the war with Iraq drags on?
4. What liberties does Satrapi take with her parents’ patience as political conditions deteriorate?
5. How does Satrapi say the Iranian currency has changed during the war?
6. What kind of atmosphere exists in the markets, as Chapter 12: The Jewels Opens?
7. What factors contribute to Satrapi’s uncle Taher’s heart condition?
8. Describe Satrapi’s shopping trip with her mother’s friend’s children.
9. What difficulties does Satrapi and her family have in getting her uncle medical care?
10. What turn did Satrapi’s life take after Neda Baba-Levy’s death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Persepolis relevant to contemporary readers? What contemporary issues are in play in the book, and how would the book contribute to contemporary discussion? Cite specific discussions from contemporary sources, and cite specific instances from the book, that describe its contemporary relevance.
Essay Topic 3
Watch the film of Persepolis. Compare and contrast the film, which Satrapi herself consulted on, and the book. How are they similar? How are they different? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)