|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of the Iranian pilots did not return from the attack on Iraq?
2. What does Satrapi say is her form of rebellion against the regime?
3. How does Satrapi convey her newfound maturity in Chapter 15?
4. How does Satrapi learn that her friend has been killed?
5. How long did Satrapi and her family have, once the alarms went off, before the missiles would strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do conditions change as the war with Iraq drags on?
2. What act of rebelliousness does Satrapi perform?
3. What kind of atmosphere exists in the markets, as Chapter 12: The Jewels Opens?
4. How does Satrapi’s father narrowly avoid his troubles with the Guardians of the Revolution?
5. What ceremonies do Satrapi and other Iranians perform in response to the war?
6. What is Satrapi’s mother’s reaction when the principal of the second school calls the house?
7. How does it come about that Iran retaliates with an air strike on Iraq?
8. What trouble does Satrapi get into at school?
9. What does Satrapi ask her parents to bring back for her from Turkey?
10. Describe Satrapi’s departure from Iran.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When is Persepolis most itself? What is its characteristic passage, or moment? What makes that moment or passage the most representative of the book as a whole? Are there any places where the book seems to depart from its typical self, as if to become a different book?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of Persepolis. What is this book’s place in culture? What are its uses? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)