|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the one place Satrapi says she felt safe?
2. What statistic does Marjane offer to Anoosh’s political discussion?
3. Marjane Satrapi’s father tells her the story of Iran. What did the king’s father, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, organize 50 years ago?
4. What was Mohsen’s crime?
5. Where had Satrapi’s father spent the day, when he returns at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Satrapi’s family’s connection to the revolution?
2. How have conditions changed by the time Satrapi and her family return from vacation?
3. Describe the visual style of Persepolis.
4. How does Satrapi’s status as a child create humor in Persepolis?
5. What are Satrapi’s feelings about her uncle’s stories?
6. Why does Satrapi say she wanted to write Persepolis?
7. Describe the events that led up the Shah’s fall.
8. What trouble does Satrapi’s relationship with Mehri cause?
9. Why is Satrapi disappointed with her father?
10. Describe Satrapi’s relationship with God.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
What exactly is the basis of Satrapi and her family’s resistance to the Islamic regime in Iran? Where is the kernel of their values stated most plainly? What specific tenets of Islamic fundamentalism do Satrapi and her family resist?
Essay Topic 3
What does it mean for Marjane Satrapi to be a prophet, and how does she go about becoming a prophet throughout Persepolis? How does her idea about being a prophet change throughout the story?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)