|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Iran get its name?
2. What are Marjane Satrapi’s sentiments about the King?
3. Where does Satrapi’s mother tell Marjane Anoosh has gone?
4. What do Marjane Satrapi’s neighbors demonstrate after the celebration?
5. What is the swan made of, that Anoosh gives Marjane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Marxism in Iran, according to Anoosh?
2. What are Satrapi and her family’s feelings about leaving Iran, and what decision do they make?
3. What causes the Satrapi family to go on vacation to Europe?
4. What trouble does Satrapi’s relationship with Mehri cause?
5. What is Satrapi’s father’s role in the developing political conflict?
6. How have conditions changed by the time Satrapi and her family return from vacation?
7. Describe Satrapi’s relationship with God.
8. What is Anoosh’s role in Iran’s history?
9. Why does Satrapi say she wanted to write Persepolis?
10. Describe Satrapi’s experiments in playing ‘torture.’
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Watch the film of Persepolis. Compare and contrast the film, which Satrapi herself consulted on, and the book. How are they similar? How are they different? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the most important plot points in Persepolis. What is at stake in each of these moments? What possibilities do these moments present, and how are those possibilities channeled into specific actions or events? How does the plot chart its course among other alternative or possible plots?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)