|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Marjane Satrapi emulate her grandfather?
2. Why did Satrapi’s mother dye her hair?
3. When did Western influence in Iran end?
4. What are Marjane Satrapi’s sentiments about the King?
5. What does Satrapi get in trouble for, after the schools reopen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Satrapi disappointed with her father?
2. What trouble does Satrapi’s relationship with Mehri cause?
3. What traumatic experience does Satrapi’s mother have?
4. Why did Satrapi get in trouble for what she told Siamak’s daughter?
5. What is it that causes Satrapi to realize that she doesn’t know anything, and what is her response to it?
6. What are Satrapi and her family’s feelings about leaving Iran, and what decision do they make?
7. What is the problem with Marxism in Iran, according to Anoosh?
8. What kind of future does Satrapi expect for herself, at the beginning of Persepolis?
9. What is Anoosh’s role in Iran’s history?
10. Describe Satrapi’s experience of her first protest.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of Persepolis—did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
What exactly is the basis of Satrapi and her family’s resistance to the Islamic regime in Iran? Where is the kernel of their values stated most plainly? What specific tenets of Islamic fundamentalism do Satrapi and her family resist?
Essay Topic 3
What morals does Satrapi’s graphic novel teach? Which characters are the best teachers? How does Satrapi herself learn different lessons? Which lessons demand the most from her?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)