|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the source of Marjane Satrapi’s sentiments about the king?
(a) Her friends
(b) Her teacher
(c) Her parents
(d) Television broadcasts
2. How does Satrapi’s grandmother say the Shah’s father spent the country’s money?
(a) On a lavish lifestyle
(b) On useless celebrations
(c) On educational reforms
(d) On military research
3. What does Marjane Satrapi understand as a result of her reading?
(a) Her parents had wanted to flee the country
(b) She wanted to be a prophet
(c) She was ashamed to ride in her father's Cadillac
(d) Her parents had protested to preserve the old aristocracy
4. What began to happen regularly after Black Friday?
5. What had just happened the year before Satrapi’s story begins?
(a) Her birth
(b) The Islamic Revolution
(c) The death of her grandmother
(d) The exile of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anoosh say he suffered most?
2. What cause did the people finally get to celebrate?
3. How does Satrapi’s father explain the persecution of individuals in Iran?
4. What does Marjane get in trouble for telling her friend about her father, who is in prison?
5. How did Siamak ultimately flee Iran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Satrapi’s feelings about her uncle’s stories?
2. What kinds of torture do Siamak and Mohsen describe having suffered in prison?
3. Why does Satrapi say she wanted to write Persepolis?
4. What causes the Satrapi family to go on vacation to Europe?
5. What is it that causes Satrapi to realize that she doesn’t know anything, and what is her response to it?
6. What is Anoosh’s role in Iran’s history?
7. What trouble does Satrapi’s relationship with Mehri cause?
8. Describe the events that led up the Shah’s fall.
9. Describe Satrapi’s experiments in playing ‘torture.’
10. Describe Satrapi’s experience of her first protest.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)