|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who denies ever receiving a call from Nick about her will?
2. What term does Poirot use to describe Nick?
3. At what time did the chocolates arrive?
4. The guests at End House are under the impression that Nick has _____.
5. Who is featured in the portrait hanging over Nick's bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is contained in the letter sent to Poirot from Maggie's mother?
2. What happens to the face in the window?
3. List at least some of the questions Poirot has about the people on the list.
4. Explain the scene with the Crofts at this time.
5. Explain Hastings' role at this time.
6. Explain the first steps taken in Poirot's plan to flush out the killer.
7. What is revealed in the letters Poirot and Hastings find in Nick's bedroom?
8. Explain the reason for Poirot and Hastings' trip into London.
9. Discuss the meeting between Poirot, Hastings and Inspector Japp.
10. Explain at least some of Nick's efforts to cast suspicion on one of the others in Maggie's murder as well as her own attempted murder.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freddie Price is one character who exhibits the most erratic behavior while Nick always seems to be somewhat cold and without emotion. Compare and contrast the personalities of the two women. Which characteristics are real and which are contrived? How are they perceived by Poirot?
Essay Topic 2
First impressions play a large part in the story. When Nick Buckley sees Poirot for the first time she develops a plan to involve him in the plot. Explain how Poirot would have assessed his first impression of Nick, Freddie, Challenger, and Lazarus. Are Poirot's assessments correct? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Given Poirot's initial encounter with Nick Buckley, do you think that the meeting is an accident or do you think it was somehow planned by Buckley? What is Poirot's initial reaction to Buckley? Are Poirot's initial impressions of the girl correct? What begins to change Poirot's mind about Buckley? How does Hastings react toward Buckley during that first meeting?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)