|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe Vyse?
2. Poirot questions why ____ did not go out to see the fireworks.
3. Who will take the lead role in this event?
4. Who is Freddie and Nick's drug dealer?
5. What is the starting location of the new arrival(s)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the first steps taken in Poirot's plan to flush out the killer.
2. What is the obvious solution to the crime now that Freddie's husband is dead?
3. Examine the conversation between Challenger and Poirot.
4. What does Poirot learn when questioning Vyse, Ellen and the Crofts about the missing will?
5. List at least some of the questions Poirot has about the people on the list.
6. What is contained in the letter sent to Poirot from Maggie's mother?
7. What is revealed in the letters Poirot and Hastings find in Nick's bedroom?
8. What is Poirot's next step?
9. What happens to the face in the window?
10. Discuss the scene in which Vyse reads Nick's will.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Nick's situation at End House. If Nick is broke as she claims, how is it possible to pay the mortgage on End House? How does Nick afford to keep the house staff? Where does Nick get her money? Does Nick work? Is there any type of financial inheritance or trust?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot series. How many books are there? Write a character profile of Hercule Poirot. Include his work with the British law enforcement system as well as work as a private detective. Discuss how the character has progressed and evolved throughout the series. Where might Poirot go next? How might Poirot's adventures change in future books? Has Poirot ever failed to solve a case? Has Poirot ever worked with other detectives, e.g, Miss Jane Marple? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Captain Hastings is a staple in many of Agatha Christie's stories in the Poirot series. What is the history of Captain Hastings? How does he know Poirot? In what capacity can Hastings call himself a captain? What is Hastings' profession? What benefit is there to having Hastings in the story from Christie's point of view? What benefit is there to having Hastings in the story from Poirot's point of view? Name and describe at least three instances where Hastings' presence is invaluable to Poirot. How might Poirot have solved the cases without the help of Hastings? Who else serves in the same capacity as the captain?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)