|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poirot questions why ____ did not go out to see the fireworks.
2. Poirot decides to fake _____ with the help of the police.
3. What kind of event is proposed by Poirot?
4. What is Mrs. Croft's profession?
5. According to the will, Mrs. Croft has performed a(n) _______ for Nick's father.
Short Essay Questions
1. List at least some of the questions Poirot has about the people on the list.
2. What is most disturbing about the delivery of the chocolates?
3. What is contained in the letter sent to Poirot from Maggie's mother?
4. What is the obvious solution to the crime now that Freddie's husband is dead?
5. Examine the conversation between Challenger and Poirot.
6. Explain the first steps taken in Poirot's plan to flush out the killer.
7. What is Poirot's next step?
8. Discuss the scene in which Vyse reads Nick's will.
9. What happens to the face in the window?
10. Explain at least some of Nick's efforts to cast suspicion on one of the others in Maggie's murder as well as her own attempted murder.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot series. How many books are there? Write a character profile of Hercule Poirot. Include his work with the British law enforcement system as well as work as a private detective. Discuss how the character has progressed and evolved throughout the series. Where might Poirot go next? How might Poirot's adventures change in future books? Has Poirot ever failed to solve a case? Has Poirot ever worked with other detectives, e.g, Miss Jane Marple? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
First impressions play a large part in the story. When Nick Buckley sees Poirot for the first time she develops a plan to involve him in the plot. Explain how Poirot would have assessed his first impression of Nick, Freddie, Challenger, and Lazarus. Are Poirot's assessments correct? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Inspector Japp is always attempting to keep up with Poirot or even exceed the Belgian detective's crime solving skills. Unfortunately, Japp is always at least one step behind Poirot. Compare and contrast Inspector Japp and Hercule Poirot, their skill set, and successes in solving crimes.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)