|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poirot likes which one of Nick's lunch companions?
2. What word is best used to describe Poirot's speculations at this point?
3. What was the uncle's general opinion of Nick?
4. What name has Seton given to the object?
5. Poirot is also puzzled because there seems to be ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Poirot figure out about Nick and the death of Maggie?
2. What is the discrepancy between the theories of the police and Poirot?
3. Who is Michael Seton? What is his role in the story thus far?
4. Explain Poirot and Hastings' arrival at End House and discussion with Ellen's family.
5. Why is Poirot angry with himself over Maggie's murder?
6. What confession does Freddie make to Poirot?
7. How did Nick come by her unusual moniker?
8. Discuss the fireworks display and setting.
9. What questions does Poirot pose to Hastings the next morning?
10. Explain Poirot's interaction with Mrs. Croft.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
End House is an old family home perched upon a cliff on the Cornish coast. Discuss End House. When was the house built? Who built it? Who owns it? What is the state of the house at this point? Why does Ellen say that the house is evil? How is the lodge connected to the house? How was the house used in at least one crime? Why is Nick so fanatically devoted to the house? What will happen to the house since Nick has departed?
Essay Topic 2
There are various metaphors used throughout the book. Explain the metaphors and their purpose for the following items: shawl, painting, hat, secret panel, false identity, drugs.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Nick's situation at End House. If Nick is broke as she claims, how is it possible to pay the mortgage on End House? How does Nick afford to keep the house staff? Where does Nick get her money? Does Nick work? Is there any type of financial inheritance or trust?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)