|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Nick when her grandfather died?
2. Poirot disagrees saying that the murder was ___________.
3. What is the name of the town?
4. Where are the guests taken by their hostess?
5. How long has it been since the uncle died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the discrepancy between the theories of the police and Poirot?
2. What about the conversation with Ellen strikes Poirot as being odd?
3. Explain Poirot and Hastings' arrival at End House and discussion with Ellen's family.
4. What plan is put into motion by Poirot and Dr. Graham?
5. Explain the opening scene with Poirot and Hastings at the hotel.
6. Explain the relationships between the people Poirot saw lunching with Nick.
7. What is discovered when Poirot and Hastings enter the house?
8. Explain the arrival and introduction of Maggie.
9. Who is suggested as being a suitable companion for Nick during this time of crisis?
10. How does Poirot meet the Crofts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Scotland Yard plays a prominent part in the majority of Agatha Christie's mysteries. Choose one of the following activities in relation to Scotland Yard:
1) Research and write a 1,000-word essay on the history and purpose of Scotland Yard. Also include a list of some of the mysteries in which Scotland Yard appears and how it plays a part in solving the mystery.
2) Investigate five top cases investigated by Scotland Yard, the details, and how the specialized knowledge of the famed police force was used in solving the crimes.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Christie's brilliant use of foreshadowing throughout the book. Give at least three examples of foreshadowing. Give details and the purpose of using the technique. How else could the reader learn about the important information? What other technique might have been used?
Foreshadowing also applies to the characters, not just events. Name at least one instance pertaining to each character in the story. Explain the significance of the method in regards to the character as well as the story. Also point out if Poirot is able to pick up on the clues and how they shape his opinion and investigation.
Essay Topic 3
End House is an old family home perched upon a cliff on the Cornish coast. Discuss End House. When was the house built? Who built it? Who owns it? What is the state of the house at this point? Why does Ellen say that the house is evil? How is the lodge connected to the house? How was the house used in at least one crime? Why is Nick so fanatically devoted to the house? What will happen to the house since Nick has departed?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)