|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What took out the windows in the Andrea Gail in the midst of "The Perfect Storm"?
2. Which of the following plays an instrumental role in the tumultuous sea rescue along the New Jersey coast described in Chapter 9?
3. Which boat positioned nearby to the Andrea Gail changes its course shortly before "The Perfect Storm" strikes?
4. In Chapter 9, which of the following is saved from raging sea water?
5. Which of the following types of structures is NOT located on Sable Island today?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Junger describe as the action that a boat crew takes when they hear reports that a storm is hitting a boat at sea?
2. In Chapter 6, what are the reasons noted by Albert Johnston for steering the Mary T toward colder waters on the night of October 28th as "The Perfect Storm" is approaching?
3. What three types of weather phenomena are identified in Chapter 5 that will soon be merging to form "The Perfect Storm"?
4. The biggest freak wave ever recorded is mentioned and described in Chapter 6. Explain the details of this event.
5. How does Junger spark interest in Chapter 5 with information concerning the amount of electrical power supply that is contained in thunderstorms?
6. After "The Perfect Storm", what are the immediate signs noted in Chapter 9 that signal that perhaps not all may be well with the Andrea Gail and her crew?
7. In Chapter 8, what is the reason that the two female passengers, Karen Stimpson and Sue Bylander, give the television reporter with respect to why their boat skipper, Ray Leonard did not want to leave his boat in the midst of "The Perfect Storm"?
8. List some of the ways that most sword fishermen exhibit their state of denial about the dangers that exist in their profession.
9. Who are the Air National Guard rescuers written about in Chapter 9 who end up having to ditch the rescue helicopter in order to save their own lives as the attempt to rescue a Japanese sailor is underway along the New Jersey coast?
10. Describe the steps as detailed in Chapter 7 in relation to how the life-preserving "diving reflex"" technique can be set in motion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Six members make up the crew for the Andrea Gail. 1) What is the general level of comfort among the crew members of the Andrea Gail? 2) Name two members of the Andrea Gail crew, who, based on their outlook and personalities, would be apt to not get along each other each other, and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, "The Perfect Storm", Sebastian Junger tries to convey the message that "fishing is dangerous". 1) Is Junger convincing that fishing is dangerous? If yes, explain why. If not, explain why not. 2) Cite two examples from the book in which Junger attempts to convince the reader that "fishing is dangerous".
Essay Topic 3
Sebastian Junger is lauded with writing beautiful descriptions of the sea. How does he present his thoughts on the sea in "The Perfect Storm"? Explain your position.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)