|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the distance between the Andrea Gail and The Contship Holland during the time that "The Perfect Storm" is in full play?
2. The term "PJ's" as used in "The Perfect Storm" refers to which of the following?
3. According to the crew members aboard The Satori, the boat's skipper did not want to abandon the ship for which of the following reasons?
4. Upon hearing reports about the pending unfavorable weather that will turn into "The Perfect Storm", in which direction does Ray Leonard change the course of The Satori?
5. When a storm hits a boat at sea, the crew does NOT do which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6 ,it appears as though Sebastian Junger has included a statement in favor of oceanic preservation and against the dumping of petroleum in the ocean. What is Junger's approximate statement about this matter?
2. What unconventional rescue method described in Chapter 9 does the Air National Guard resort to for what results in the rescue of three of its own rescuers during the attempt to rescue a Japanese sailor off the New Jersey coast?
3. What type of response to her call for assistance does Satori passenger Karen Stimpson receive?
4. According to the information that Junger provides in Chapter 7, what are the steps one takes in order to induce the life-preserving technique known as laryngospasm?
5. How does Junger spark interest in Chapter 5 with information concerning the amount of electrical power supply that is contained in thunderstorms?
6. In what context are "PJ's" used by Junger in this chapter?
7. Describe the life-saving technique that Ernie Hazard used as it is explained in Chapter 7.
8. What three types of weather phenomena are identified in Chapter 5 that will soon be merging to form "The Perfect Storm"?
9. Describe the four classifications that Junger writes about in Chapter 5 in relation to the method used by fishermen for gauging the velocity of a windstorm.
10. What type of obstacle does Coast Guard rescuer Dave Moore have to overcome during his attempt to save those who had been aboard The Satori?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unlike the themes of Gloucester residents being part of a fishing subculture and that "fishing is dangerous", what other theme is present but not recognized? Cite examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, female boat captain Linda Greenlaw proves herself to be a very capable boat captain. How is Miss Greenlaw able to accomplish that?
Essay Topic 3
Despite the "Perfect Storm" taking place around The Satori, what type of attitude does its skipper Ray Leonard maintain throughout the storm's ferocious attack on his boat? Cite examples from the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)