|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the distance between the Andrea Gail and The Contship Holland during the time that "The Perfect Storm" is in full play?
2. One of the side effects that larynospasm is known to cause is which of the following conditions?
3. In Chapter 7, Junger reports that mammals can survive up to one hour in very cold waters by which of the following?
4. What is the name of the rescuer who takes every crew member of The Satori out of the rough, stormy waters and places them into a basket to be hoisted to safety?
5. How many helicopters are involved in the rescue of the crew of The Satori?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Air National Guard rescuers written about in Chapter 9 who end up having to ditch the rescue helicopter in order to save their own lives as the attempt to rescue a Japanese sailor is underway along the New Jersey coast?
2. Describe the life-saving technique that Ernie Hazard used as it is explained in Chapter 7.
3. Describe the steps as detailed in Chapter 7 in relation to how the life-preserving "diving reflex"" technique can be set in motion.
4. What type of response to her call for assistance does Satori passenger Karen Stimpson receive?
5. How do scientists explain the beginning and ending of oceanic waves?
6. In what context are "PJ's" used by Junger in this chapter?
7. In Chapter 6 ,it appears as though Sebastian Junger has included a statement in favor of oceanic preservation and against the dumping of petroleum in the ocean. What is Junger's approximate statement about this matter?
8. The biggest freak wave ever recorded is mentioned and described in Chapter 6. Explain the details of this event.
9. Why was the United States Navy conducting undersea experiments involving the detonation of nuclear bombs?
10. What is the difference between "pitch-poling" and "floundering"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were two dramatic rescues involving the Coast Guard. One was a rescue attempt to rescue those aboard The Satori, and the second one was a rescue attempt to save a Japanese sailor off the New Jersey coast. 1) Which of the two rescue attempts is more dramatic? 2) Why? 3)Which of the two rescue attempts is more successful? 4) Why?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, female boat captain Linda Greenlaw proves herself to be a very capable boat captain. How is Miss Greenlaw able to accomplish that?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, "The Perfect Storm", Sebastian Junger tries to convey the message that "fishing is dangerous". 1) Is Junger convincing that fishing is dangerous? If yes, explain why. If not, explain why not. 2) Cite two examples from the book in which Junger attempts to convince the reader that "fishing is dangerous".
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)