|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does "The Perfect Storm" hit?
2. What is another name for the meteorological term, "nor-easter"?
3. Upon hearing reports about the unfavorable weather forecast, what area becomes the destination of the EIshin Maru 78?
4. Who among the following characters fractures three bones in his right arm, four ribs and ruptures a kidney upon falling into the raging sea water during the rescue attempt along the New Jersey coast?
5. When referring to the acronym EPIRB, author Sebastian Junger means which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "wave energy rising to the fourth power during storms" mean, as explained in Chapter 6?
2. List some of the ways that most sword fishermen exhibit their state of denial about the dangers that exist in their profession.
3. The biggest freak wave ever recorded is mentioned and described in Chapter 6. Explain the details of this event.
4. How does Junger spark interest in Chapter 5 with information concerning the amount of electrical power supply that is contained in thunderstorms?
5. Why was the United States Navy conducting undersea experiments involving the detonation of nuclear bombs?
6. In Chapter 5, which five different directions do five different vessels head toward as those at their helms learn about the forecast concerning the forthcoming "Perfect Storm"?
7. According to the information that Junger provides in Chapter 7, what are the steps one takes in order to induce the life-preserving technique known as laryngospasm?
8. Who are the Air National Guard rescuers written about in Chapter 9 who end up having to ditch the rescue helicopter in order to save their own lives as the attempt to rescue a Japanese sailor is underway along the New Jersey coast?
9. What three types of weather phenomena are identified in Chapter 5 that will soon be merging to form "The Perfect Storm"?
10. What method of transportation, as described in Chapter 8, is used to shuttle those who had been on The Satori to safety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast captains Billy Tyne and Albert Johnston. Which of the two shows more concern for his crew and passengers? Cite examples in support from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, "The Perfect Storm", Sebastian Junger tries to convey the message that "fishing is dangerous". 1) Is Junger convincing that fishing is dangerous? If yes, explain why. If not, explain why not. 2) Cite two examples from the book in which Junger attempts to convince the reader that "fishing is dangerous".
Essay Topic 3
Canvassing all of the characters in "The Perfect Storm", who suffers the most emotional pain? Which way do they suffer? How long do they suffer?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)