|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of sense does Junger apply to his use of the term "Perfect Storm" ?
2. How many men are aboard the boat upon which the note in a bottle is penned?
3. Where are the two passengers aboard the Satori headed?
4. In retrospect, what is the best label to attach to Junger's narrative in "The Perfect Storm"?
5. What does Junger NOT imply toward families who lost loved ones with respect to the title, "The Perfect Storm"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the vision that author Sebastian Junger has for "The Perfect Storm"?
2. What can you write about the life of Bobby Shatford based on Sebastian Junger's writing in Chapter 2?
3. What information is Sebastian Junger relying upon when he states that, " The Falcon was careening wildly around the time that the note in a bottle was written"?
4. How are fishermen characterized in "The Perfect Storm"?
5. Aside from conveying the ongoing destruction and imminent sinking of a ship via its written message stating, "...our rudder is gone, our cable is gone, God have mercy on us", what universal message and element does the note that is found floating in a bottle along the Massachusetts coast around 1895 carry into the 20th Century that is incorporated into the story of "The Perfect Storm"?
6. What is the purpose of Sebastian Junger asking questions such as, "How do men act in a sinking ship? Do they cry?"
7. Based on Junger's characterization of Andrea Gail and Hannah Bolen owner, Bob Brown, what can you write about his history in relation to other boats that he has owned in the past and any accidents within that time frame involving members of his crews?
8. What are the possible reasons that Chapter 1 is italicized in its entirety?
9. Explain the fishing process called "haul back" that is explained in Chapter 3 of "The Perfect Storm".
10. Why does Junger raise questions about Captain Billy Tyne's competence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Perfect Storm" is interspersed with different types of factual information. Of all the factual and scientific information offered by Sebastian Junger, which particular type of information do you find most useful? Explain why.
Essay Topic 2
How can it best be said that modern day fisherman in Gloucester carry on the traditions of their ancestors? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Since Junger did use a lot of factual material concerning topics such as how the establishment of Gloucester took place, explanations of nautical terms, and various subjects of a scientific nature, does that render the book to be more factual as Junger promised that it would be in the foreword of the book? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)