|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the captain of the Hannah Bolen?
2. According to Junger, what type of shark can bite a man's leg off even after you cut off its head?
3. Select the phrase that corresponds to the label attached to fishing around the village from which the Andrea Gail sets sail.
4. What can be considered the main contributing factor to the Andrea Gail succumbing to "The Perfect Storm"?
5. What year does disaster strike the boat upon which the note in a bottle was written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Sebastian Junger asking questions such as, "How do men act in a sinking ship? Do they cry?"
2. What are the possible reasons that Chapter 1 is italicized in its entirety?
3. Are there any similarities or differences between the type of writing penned by famed Watergate co-authors, Carl Bernstein and Robert Woodward in "All the President's Men" and the writing of Sebastian Junger in "The Perfect Storm"?
4. What happened when the United States government relaxed standards for mercury?
5. What is the value and mechanical status of the Andrea Gail as recorded between the late 1980's and the early 1990's?
6. Aside from conveying the ongoing destruction and imminent sinking of a ship via its written message stating, "...our rudder is gone, our cable is gone, God have mercy on us", what universal message and element does the note that is found floating in a bottle along the Massachusetts coast around 1895 carry into the 20th Century that is incorporated into the story of "The Perfect Storm"?
7. Are there any portions of the book that challenge author Sebastian Junger's vision-based pledge to limit his narrative solely to fact?
8. Based on Junger's writing, why is night baiting dangerous?
9. Explain the fishing process called "haul back" that is explained in Chapter 3 of "The Perfect Storm".
10. What is the vision that author Sebastian Junger has for "The Perfect Storm"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast captains Billy Tyne and Albert Johnston. Which of the two shows more concern for his crew and passengers? Cite examples in support from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Captain Billy Tyne and Skipper Ray Leonard were both in charge of their respective ships. How are these two men alike? Do they run their ships alike? Do they treat their crews the same? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Perfect Storm" is interspersed with different types of factual information. Of all the factual and scientific information offered by Sebastian Junger, which particular type of information do you find most useful? Explain why.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)