|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that the author(s) of the note found in a bottle in Chapter One ask for via the note?
2. According to Junger, which of the following types of fish is the most popular catch among early European fishermen fishing off the coast of Newfoundland in the New World?
3. Where are the two passengers aboard the Satori headed?
4. According to Junger, fishermen enter their profession via which of the following routes listed?
5. What is one of the key questions that Junger asks himself in relation to the men aboard the ill-fated mackerel schooner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can you write about the life of Bobby Shatford based on Sebastian Junger's writing in Chapter 2?
2. What is the vision that author Sebastian Junger has for "The Perfect Storm"?
3. What type of impression does Sebastian Junger make when he states that he intends to base his writing of "The Perfect Storm" solely on fact?
4. How are fishermen characterized in "The Perfect Storm"?
5. What type of genre does Sebastian Junger drift to in his writing of "The Perfect Storm"?
6. Why does Junger raise questions about Captain Billy Tyne's competence?
7. Aside from wanting to report the destruction and imminent sinking of his ship, what other reasons could the writer of the note found in a bottle along the coast of Massachusetts in 1895 have had for writing the note and placing it in a bottle?
8. How much is considered a good day's catch?
9. What device does the skipper of The Satori use to navigate his way back home?
10. How are swordfish known to adversely affect man's well-being?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, female boat captain Linda Greenlaw proves herself to be a very capable boat captain. How is Miss Greenlaw able to accomplish that?
Essay Topic 2
Sebastian Junger is lauded with writing beautiful descriptions of the sea. How does he present his thoughts on the sea in "The Perfect Storm"? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
What is Sebastian Junger's purpose in writing "The Perfect Storm"? Is it to make a statement? Is it to pay tribute to the victims of "The Perfect Storm"? Is it a little of both? Cite examples from the text to support your claim.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)