|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the ice company in the fishing village upon which the crew of the Andrea Gail depends on for ice to keep fish fresh aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) "The Cape Cod Ice Company".
(b) "Fresh from the Sea Ice Company".
(c) "Ice by the Block Company".
(d) "Cape Hollinghouse Ice Company".
2. What type of boat is the note writer in Chapter One aboard?
(a) A ketch.
(b) A dinghy.
(c) A pontoon.
(d) A schooner.
3. What profession did Billy Tyne want to pursue before becoming a fisherman?
(a) A psychologist.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A marine biologist.
(d) A dentist.
4. Who is the captain of the Hannah Bolen?
(a) Charlie Reed.
(b) Bob Brown.
(c) Albert Johnston.
(d) Linda Greenlaw.
5. The note in the bottle that is found floating along the coast of New England is directed to which of the following?
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of boat is the Satori?
2. Who does Sebastian Junger depend on for information to include in his narrative about the events surrounding the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail from Gloucester?
3. What type of sense does Junger apply to his use of the term "Perfect Storm" ?
4. According to the note found in a bottle in Chapter One, what parts of its boat of origin are missing?
5. What type of plans do Andrea Gail crew member Bobby Shatford and Christine Cotter have in mind to engage in together upon his return from fishing aboard the Andrea Gail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much is considered a good day's catch?
2. What is the purpose of Sebastian Junger asking questions such as, "How do men act in a sinking ship? Do they cry?"
3. What are the possible reasons that Chapter 1 is italicized in its entirety?
4. Based on Junger's characterization of Andrea Gail and Hannah Bolen owner, Bob Brown, what can you write about his history in relation to other boats that he has owned in the past and any accidents within that time frame involving members of his crews?
5. What is the vision that author Sebastian Junger has for "The Perfect Storm"?
6. According to Sebastian Junger, how does fisherman Howard Blackburn survive three days at sea?
7. Aside from wanting to report the destruction and imminent sinking of his ship, what other reasons could the writer of the note found in a bottle along the coast of Massachusetts in 1895 have had for writing the note and placing it in a bottle?
8. What type of impression does Sebastian Junger make when he states that he intends to base his writing of "The Perfect Storm" solely on fact?
9. How are fishermen characterized in "The Perfect Storm"?
10. In Chapter 3, Junger offers an extended biographic sketch of Andrea Gail Captain, Billy Tyne. What can you write about Tyne's early life based on Junger's writing?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)