|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a member of the rescue team attempting to rescue the sailor from the perilous sea along the New Jersey coast?
(a) John Spillane.
(b) Rick Smith.
(c) Doug Kostco.
(d) Dave Ruvola.
2. Who does Judith call for assistance while in the midst of "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Ray Leonard aboard The Satori.
(b) Tommie Barrie aboard The Allison.
(c) No one. Judith rides out "The Perfect Storm" without any assistance and she survives.
(d) The Coast Guard.
3. What is the name of the rescuer who takes every crew member of The Satori out of the rough, stormy waters and places them into a basket to be hoisted to safety?
(a) Dave Moore.
(b) Kevin Carrothers.
(c) Walt Phillips.
(d) Tony Matula.
4. "The Perfect Storm" hit the Andrea Gail with full force around midnight on which of the following dates?
(a) October 28th, 1991.
(b) October 26th, 1991.
(c) October 30th, 1991.
(d) October 29th, 1991.
5. What took out the windows in the Andrea Gail in the midst of "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Wind-driven rain.
(b) Intense air pressure that built inside the cabin of the Andrea Gail during "The Perfect Storm".
(c) Exceedingly strong gusts of wind.
6. What is another name for the meteorological term, "nor-easter"?
(d) Cold front.
7. What type of boat is The Satori?
(a) A schooner.
(b) A pontoon.
(c) A ketch.
(d) A sailing yacht.
8. According to Junger, there are waves that do not depend on wind, but rather on which of the following elements?
(a) Water pressure.
9. In Chapter 7, an explanation is given regarding how a crew member of the Andrea Gail must have felt as he was drowning. What is that explanation?
(a) Human liquid intake limits.
(b) Science of human respiratory system.
(c) Science of human drowning.
(d) Human air intake cessation.
10. The term "PJ's" as used in "The Perfect Storm" refers to which of the following?
(d) Marine biologists.
11. An anemometer measures which of the following?
(a) Wind velocity.
(b) Wave height.
(c) Water level.
(d) Wave force.
12. According to the crew members aboard The Satori, the boat's skipper did not want to abandon the ship for which of the following reasons?
(a) The skipper was convinced that he was experienced enough to be able to steer The Satori to safety without the necessity of having to abandon her.
(b) The skipper felt that he had invested too much money in the remodeling and upkeep of The Satori to merely abandon it.
(c) The Satori was the skipper's home.
(d) The Satori contained too many of the skipper's personal and sentimental valuables.
13. Which of the coasts listed below is known for the occurrence of a large number of freak wave "monsters"?
(a) The Caribbean coast around the Yucatan.
(b) The southeastern coast of Florida.
(c) The South Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Brazil.
(d) South African coast between Durban and London.
14. Who aboard the Andrea Gail is NOT KNOWN to be concerned about finances?
(a) Billy Tyne.
(b) Murph Murphy.
(c) Bobby Shatford.
(d) Alfred Pierre.
15. Who among the rescue crew along the New Jersey coast is left in the water?
(a) Graham Buschor.
(b) John Spillane.
(c) Dave Ruvola.
(d) Rick Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sailor that the rescuers are attempting to rescue along the New Jersey coast?
2. When a storm hits a boat at sea, the crew does NOT do which of the following?
3. How many helicopters are involved in the rescue of the crew of The Satori?
4. What type of structure does NOT stand at Sable Island today?
5. According to Junger, a thunderstorm has enough electrical power to supply the entire United States with how many days of electricity?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)