|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who among the following characters fractures three bones in his right arm, four ribs and ruptures a kidney upon falling into the raging sea water during the rescue attempt along the New Jersey coast?
(a) Rick Smith.
(b) John Spillane.
(c) Doug Kostco.
(d) Jim Mioli.
2. According to Junger, a thunderstorm has enough electrical power to supply the entire United States with how many days of electricity?
(a) Ten days.
(b) One day.
(c) Four days.
(d) Seven days.
3. "The Perfect Storm" hit the Andrea Gail with full force around midnight on which of the following dates?
(a) October 29th, 1991.
(b) October 26th, 1991.
(c) October 28th, 1991.
(d) October 30th, 1991.
4. How many helicopters are involved in the rescue of the crew of The Satori?
(a) Two helicopters.
(b) One helicopter.
(c) No helicopters.
(d) Three helicopters.
5. When a storm hits a boat at sea, the crew does NOT do which of the following?
(a) Take everything off the deck.
(b) Close every hatch, porthole and watertight door on board.
(c) Do not try to contact family members and friends to inform them of the approaching storm.
(d) Latch down things that could break loose.
6. Who is in charge of the engine room aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) Alfred Pierre.
(b) Billy Tyne.
(c) Bob Shatford.
(d) Murph Murphy.
7. Ultimately Mioli, Ruvola, and Spillane are rescued using which of the following rescue gear?
(a) Basket lift.
(b) Survival suits.
(c) Rescue rafts.
(d) Mesh ropes.
8. Author Sebastian Junger defines "larynospasm" as which of the following?
(a) Relaxation of the muscles in the larynx.
(b) A contraction of the muscles in the larynx.
(c) Involuntary stretching of the muscles in the larynx.
(d) Straining of the muscles in the larynx.
9. How many sailors have been known to have drowned on Sable Island after being pounded by waves while trying to find refuge from storms?
(a) Over 20,000.
(b) Over 15,000.
(c) Over 5,000.
(d) Over 10,000.
10. Junger calls the point in which a vessel gets driven down by overwhelming natural forces such as waves which of the following?
(a) Immersion point.
(b) Zero moment.
(c) Point zero.
(d) Inundation point.
11. How many years of experience at sea do Murph, Bugsy and Billy have among them?
(a) 34 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 36 years.
(d) 21 years.
12. Which of the following job titles identifies Judith's position aboard the vessel in which she rides out "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Excursion Coordinator.
(b) Compliance Officer.
(c) Public Information Officer.
(d) Safety Instructor.
13. Which crew member aboard the Andrea Gail has had a premonition that he will die young at sea?
14. What role does Graham Buschor play in the sea rescue attempt along the New Jersey coast?
(a) Communications specialist.
(b) Emergency responder coordinator.
(c) Rescue helicopter co-pilot.
(d) C-130 tanker plane pilot.
15. The highest waves ever recorded along the Scotian Shelf, or anywhere at any time according to author Sebastian Junger, occurred within "The Perfect Storm".
How high were the waves to which Junger refers?
(a) 90 feet high.
(b) 80 feet high.
(c) 120 feet high.
(d) 100 feet high.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sailor that the rescuers are attempting to rescue along the New Jersey coast?
2. In Chapter 7, Junger reports that mammals can survive up to one hour in very cold waters by which of the following?
3. Chapter 7 includes explicit information about which of the following?
4. Junger states that once flipped over due to storm conditions or overwhelming wave activity, the Andrea Gail was bound to have filled with water at which of the following temperatures?
5. "Diving reflex" as mentioned by Junger in "The Perfect Storm" does NOT refer to which of the following?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)