|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Junger reports that mammals can survive up to one hour in very cold waters by which of the following?
(a) Natural body insulation.
(b) Wearing a survival suit.
(c) Diving reflex.
(d) Body heat generated by treading water incessantly.
2. In Chapter 7, an explanation is given regarding how a crew member of the Andrea Gail must have felt as he was drowning. What is that explanation?
(a) Human liquid intake limits.
(b) Science of human drowning.
(c) Science of human respiratory system.
(d) Human air intake cessation.
3. In the midst of the rescue attempt for those aboard The Satori, who pilots a small Falcon jet to the rescue site?
(a) Daryl Samuels.
(b) Daniel Kennedy.
(c) Austin Mathis.
(d) Dave Coolidge.
4. Based on the wind force gauge system that the fishermen use, what force level is "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Force 10.
(b) Force 9.
(c) Force 12.
(d) Force 11.
5. According to Junger, a "backing wind" moves counter-clockwise and always foreshadows what type of weather?
(a) Rough weather.
(b) A wind storm beginning to head back to where it began.
(c) A cloudburst.
(d) Clear, sunny weather.
6. One of the side effects that larynospasm is known to cause is which of the following conditions?
(a) Hearing loss.
(b) Double vision.
(c) Low blood pressure.
7. What is another name for the meteorological term, "nor-easter"?
(c) Cold front.
8. What is the proper term for the rafts that are used to transport those aboard The Satori to a Coast Guard rescue cutter?
9. How many helicopters are involved in the rescue of the crew of The Satori?
(a) Three helicopters.
(b) No helicopters.
(c) Two helicopters.
(d) One helicopter.
10. Which of the following types of structures is NOT located on Sable Island today?
(a) A paper mill.
(b) An oil well.
(c) A lighthouse.
(d) A Coast Guard station.
11. Who among the rescue crew along the New Jersey coast is left in the water?
(a) Dave Ruvola.
(b) Rick Smith.
(c) John Spillane.
(d) Graham Buschor.
12. During storms, according to author Sebastian Junger, wave energy rises to which of the following powers with wind speed?
(a) Fourth power.
(b) Tenth power.
(c) Eighth power.
(d) Sixth power.
13. An anemometer measures which of the following?
(a) Water level.
(b) Wave force.
(c) Wind velocity.
(d) Wave height.
14. Who is the last person to communicate with Billy Tyne as "The Perfect Storm" and the Andrea Gail are headed toward each other?
(a) Adam Randall.
(b) Tommy Barrie.
(c) Albert Johnston..
(d) Ray Leonard.
15. Telling the story of a Scottish doctor who survived drowning, Sebastian Junger mentions the probability that upon the occurrence of larynospasm, water may not enter which of the following:
Short Answer Questions
1. In contrast, what does the skipper report to be the primary reason that The Satori ends up being abandoned during "The Perfect Storm"?
2. Which of the coasts listed below is known for the occurrence of a large number of freak wave "monsters"?
3. According to estimates, how long does the crew of the Andrea Gail suffer prior to drifting into an unconscious state?
4. Which of the following is the name of the hurricane that collides with the Sable Island storm and a cold front to form "The Perfect Storm"?
5. What is the distance between the Andrea Gail and The Contship Holland during the time that "The Perfect Storm" is in full play?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)