|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Junger, what year were spotter planes first used to locate fish?
2. What does the disaster that strikes the vessel from which the note in a bottle originates do in relation to the disaster that takes place aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) It foreshadows.
(b) It resembles.
(c) It contrasts.
(d) It predicts.
3. Who is the crew keeping in radio contact with when disaster strikes the Andrea Gail?
(a) No one.
(b) Christine Cotter.
(c) Adam Randall.
(d) The United States Coast Guard.
4. Around 1605, what outcasts did the English join with to establish the settlement at Gloucester?
(a) Outcasts from Britain.
(b) Outcasts from France.
(c) Outcasts from Newfoundland.
(d) Outcasts from Plymouth.
5. What is it that the author(s) of the note found in a bottle in Chapter One ask for via the note?
(a) The crew member asks that whoever finds his note take all necessary steps to locate a rescue team to help him and his fellow crew members to shore.
(b) The crew member asks that the families of all of the crew members be notified of the crew members' deaths.
(c) The crew member asks that only his family members be notified of his death at sea.
(d) The crew member asks God to have mercy on him and his fellow crew members.
6. What type of boat is the note writer in Chapter One aboard?
(a) A ketch.
(b) A schooner.
(c) A pontoon.
(d) A dinghy.
7. What does the captain of the Andrea Gail rely on to position his boat and crew away from dangerous storms at sea?
(a) GPS (Global Positioning System).
(d) Weather reports.
8. How many men are aboard the boat upon which the note in a bottle is penned?
(a) Twenty men.
(b) Fifteen men.
(c) Ten men.
(d) Twelve men.
9. What year is the note in a bottle found that is mentioned in Chapter One?
(a) The note in the bottle was found in 1895.
(b) The note in the bottle was found in 1897.
(c) The note in the bottle was found in 1899.
(d) The note in the bottle was found in 1891.
10. After a month at sea, where does the Mary T make port?
(a) Fairhaven, Massachusetts.
(b) Worcester, Massachusetts.
(c) Gloucester, Massachusetts.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
11. What is the name of the vessel upon which it is established that the note in the bottle was written?
(a) The Atlantic Seafarer.
(b) The Falcon.
(c) The Dolan.
(d) The Wyeth.
12. What type of activity does Junger engage in before being able to describe events that occur during "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Literary research.
(b) He interviews patrons of "The Crow's Nest".
(d) Thoughts of a theoretical nature.
13. Where are the two passengers aboard the Satori headed?
(b) Fairhaven, Massachusetts.
(c) Miami, Florida.
(d) Great Britain.
14. What can be considered the main contributing factor to the Andrea Gail succumbing to "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) The inexperience of its captain and crew.
(b) The boxy construction of the Andrea Gail does not give much to the movement of the sea or during a storm.
(c) The inexpensive plywood that was used for its construction.
(d) The sailcloth that was used to construct the sail of the Andrea Gail is too heavy.
15. Select the phrase that corresponds to the label attached to fishing around the village from which the Andrea Gail sets sail.
(a) "Fishing is simple and fun."
(b) "Fishing is a dangerous and unskilled profession."
(c) "Fishing is relaxing and serene."
(d) "Fishing is educational and entertaining."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ice company in the fishing village upon which the crew of the Andrea Gail depends on for ice to keep fish fresh aboard the Andrea Gail?
2. According to the note found in a bottle in Chapter One, what parts of its boat of origin are missing?
3. How many miles does the Andrea Gail log over the course of four days?
4. Who replaces Adam Randall as a crew member aboard the Andrea Gail?
5. What type of basis does Sebastian Junger strive toward maintaining throughout his writing of "The Perfect Storm"?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)