|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the note found in a bottle in Chapter One, what parts of its boat of origin are missing?
(a) Yards and line.
(b) Mast and sail.
(c) Hatch lid and canvas.
(d) Cable and rudder.
2. Aboard the Andrea Gail, Billy Tyne shares quarters with which of the following?
(a) Alfred Pierre.
(b) Bobby Shatford.
(c) Sully Sullivan.
(d) No one.
3. What information source does Sebastian Junger state that he uses for compiling the direct quotes alluded to characters in "The Perfect Storm" ?
(a) United States Coast Guard records.
(b) Interview he conducts with the principals.
(c) Gloucester town gossip.
(d) Gloucester Gazette newspaper.
4. What is it that the author(s) of the note found in a bottle in Chapter One ask for via the note?
(a) The crew member asks that only his family members be notified of his death at sea.
(b) The crew member asks that the families of all of the crew members be notified of the crew members' deaths.
(c) The crew member asks God to have mercy on him and his fellow crew members.
(d) The crew member asks that whoever finds his note take all necessary steps to locate a rescue team to help him and his fellow crew members to shore.
5. Whose version is used as a basis for the description of the tragedy that takes place aboard the Andrea Gail during "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Captain Linda Greenlaw's version.
(b) Author Sebastian Junger's version.
(c) Crewman Michael Moran's version.
(d) Skipper Ray Leonard's version.
6. Why is Albert Johnston careful and concerned about being able to return from fishing expeditions?
(a) Because he has a wife and children.
(b) Because he has listened to weather forecasts announcing the formation of a storm that is headed to the same location as the Andrea Gail.
(c) Because he knows that the odds are against him being able to return.
(d) Because he has experienced a series of nightmares in which he was not able to return from a fishing expedition.
7. What is the name of Andrea Gail crew member Bobby Shatford's sister?
(a) Robin Sheree Shatford.
(b) Mary Anne Shatford.
(c) Gilda Marie Shatford.
(d) Nora Harrah Shatford.
8. What type of disaster strikes the boat from which the note in the bottle originates?
(a) Struck by lightning.
(b) Boat sinks.
(c) Explosion onboard caused the mackerel schooner to burn down in its entirety.
(d) Struck by a hurricane.
9. According to weather reports, what type of foul weather condition is taking place in Bermuda?
(a) A hurricane.
(b) A typhoon.
(c) A series of severe thunderstorms.
(d) A hail storm accompanied by tornados.
10. Who replaces Adam Randall as a crew member aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) "Bugsy" Moran.
(b) Dale Murphy.
(c) "Sully" Sullivan.
(d) Bobby Shatford.
11. Who is the crew keeping in radio contact with when disaster strikes the Andrea Gail?
(a) Christine Cotter.
(b) Adam Randall.
(c) No one.
(d) The United States Coast Guard.
12. Which of the time frames listed corresponds best to the setting of "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) March, 1993.
(b) July, 1992.
(c) January, 1985.
(d) October, 1991.
13. Which of the following sites are mentioned in Chapter Three as being two of the most dangerous places to fish?
(a) Gloucester Port and Fairhaven Port.
(b) Boston Port and Fairhaven Port.
(c) Gloucester Port and Boston Port.
(d) Grand Banks and Georges Bank.
14. After a month at sea, where does the Mary T make port?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Worcester, Massachusetts.
(c) Gloucester, Massachusetts.
(d) Fairhaven, Massachusetts.
15. How is Chapter One presented?
(a) It is presented in full lower-case.
(b) It is presented fully capitalized.
(c) It is presented in full bold print.
(d) It is presented fully italicized.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of sailing the Satori?
2. Where does the crew of the Andrea Gail spot the Mary T?
3. The manner in which Sebastian Junger writes Chapter One makes it resemble what type of narrative source?
4. The note in the bottle that is found floating along the coast of New England is directed to which of the following?
5. Who does Junger pose questions related to vessel disasters to in Chapter One?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)