|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the crew keeping in radio contact with when disaster strikes the Andrea Gail?
(a) Christine Cotter.
(b) The United States Coast Guard.
(c) No one.
(d) Adam Randall.
2. What information source does Sebastian Junger state that he uses for compiling the direct quotes alluded to characters in "The Perfect Storm" ?
(a) Interview he conducts with the principals.
(b) Gloucester town gossip.
(c) United States Coast Guard records.
(d) Gloucester Gazette newspaper.
3. Based on its contents, what human emotion is conveyed in the note in a bottle found in Chapter One?
4. Who does Junger pose questions related to vessel disasters to in Chapter One?
(c) Seafaring experts.
(d) Local bartender.
5. What type of disaster strikes the boat from which the note in the bottle originates?
(a) Boat sinks.
(b) Explosion onboard caused the mackerel schooner to burn down in its entirety.
(c) Struck by lightning.
(d) Struck by a hurricane.
6. In retrospect, what is the best label to attach to Junger's narrative in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Fantasy-based account of true events.
(b) Fictionalized account of true events.
(c) Theoretical account of true events.
(d) True account of true events.
7. How many men are aboard the boat upon which the note in a bottle is penned?
(a) Twelve men.
(b) Twenty men.
(c) Fifteen men.
(d) Ten men.
8. According to Junger, who were the first to invent long line boats?
(a) The French.
(b) The Koreans.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Canadians.
9. According to author Sebastian Junger, what does a puncture wound from a swordfish mean?
(a) Instant blood poisoning.
(b) Instant infection.
(c) Instant death.
(d) Instant blood clotting.
10. Which of the time frames listed corresponds best to the setting of "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) January, 1985.
(b) July, 1992.
(c) October, 1991.
(d) March, 1993.
11. According to Junger, which of the following types of fish is the most popular catch among early European fishermen fishing off the coast of Newfoundland in the New World?
(d) Mahi mahi.
12. What is the name of Andrea Gail crew member Bobby Shatford's sister?
(a) Mary Anne Shatford.
(b) Gilda Marie Shatford.
(c) Robin Sheree Shatford.
(d) Nora Harrah Shatford.
13. What type of boat is the note writer in Chapter One aboard?
(a) A dinghy.
(b) A pontoon.
(c) A schooner.
(d) A ketch.
14. What group, if any, provides Sebastian Junger with the basis upon which he creates the tragedy that strikes the Andrea Gail?
(a) No group. Sebastian Junger creates the events surrounding the tragedy that struck aboard the Andrea Gail.
(b) The United States Coast Guard which grants Junger access to a collection of incident reports detailing ship disasters in the same area where disaster hits the Andrea Gail.
(c) Support group comprised of family members who lost loved ones aboard the Andrea Gail.
(d) Local fishermen who have survived similar storms.
15. According to Junger, what year were spotter planes first used to locate fish?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of refuge are the taverns around the fishing village in "The Perfect Storm" known to serve as for local fishermen?
2. Who does Sebastian Junger depend on for information to include in his narrative about the events surrounding the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail from Gloucester?
3. According to weather reports, what type of foul weather condition is taking place in Bermuda?
4. Who keeps records aboard the Andrea Gail?
5. Around 1605, what outcasts did the English join with to establish the settlement at Gloucester?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)