|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the key questions that Junger asks himself in relation to the men aboard the ill-fated mackerel schooner?
(a) "Did they try to get help from neighboring schooners?
(b) "Do they cry?"
(c) "What did they do with the mackerel that they had caught?"
(d) "Did they ever make it back home?
2. What is the name of the boat in which Bob Brown lost all but one of his crew members, and was blamed for the deaths that occurred?
(a) Fair Wind.
(b) Miss Millie.
(c) Contship Holland.
(d) Sea Fever.
3. The writing style of which popular author listed below, along with his respective work listed alongside his name can be compared to the writing style that is employed by Sebastian Junger in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Ernest Hemingway in his writing of "The Old Man and the Sea".
(b) Clive Cussler in his writing of "Dragon".
(c) Patrick O'Bryan in his writing of "The Reverse of the Medal".
(d) Truman Capote in his writing of "In Cold Blood".
4. What is Billy Tyne's primary reason for wanting to stay out longer aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) He has an unhappy home life and is not eager to return home.
(b) He wants to make the trip a profitable one.
(c) The Andrea Gail is low on fuel and he is hoping that a passing vessel will afford him the extra fuel that the Andrea Gail needs to make it back to his home port.
(d) Because his contract requires him to stay aboard the Andrea Gail for a certain period of time and he does not want to breach the contract.
5. Billy Tyne and the crew aboard the Andrea Gail pull in as much swordfish as the crew on which of the following?
(a) The Mary T.
(b) The Eishin Maru.
(c) The Satori.
(d) The Contship Holland.
6. Who does Sebastian Junger depend on for information to include in his narrative about the events surrounding the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail from Gloucester?
(a) Adam Randall who witnesses the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail.
(b) Christine Cotter who has witnessed the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail.
(c) Junger depends on himself. He creates the events surrounding the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail.
(d) Bobby Stratford's mother who runs "The Crow's Nest" and who has witnessed the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail.
7. The manner in which Sebastian Junger writes Chapter One makes it resemble what type of narrative source?
(a) A series of verbal exchanges between Junger and a crew member whom he has interviewed.
(b) A dream or a memory.
(c) A verbatim account of verbal exchanges that he recorded between a couple of patrons at "The Crow's Nest".
(d) A United States Coast Guard incident report.
8. How many crew members have contributed to writing the note found in a bottle in Chapter One?
(a) One crew member.
(b) Two crew members.
(c) Six crew members.
(d) Four crew members.
9. According to Junger, what year were spotter planes first used to locate fish?
10. Where are the two passengers aboard the Satori headed?
(a) Great Britain.
(b) Fairhaven, Massachusetts.
(c) Miami, Florida.
11. What does the disaster that strikes the vessel from which the note in a bottle originates do in relation to the disaster that takes place aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) It predicts.
(b) It contrasts.
(c) It foreshadows.
(d) It resembles.
12. What is it that the author(s) of the note found in a bottle in Chapter One ask for via the note?
(a) The crew member asks that whoever finds his note take all necessary steps to locate a rescue team to help him and his fellow crew members to shore.
(b) The crew member asks that the families of all of the crew members be notified of the crew members' deaths.
(c) The crew member asks God to have mercy on him and his fellow crew members.
(d) The crew member asks that only his family members be notified of his death at sea.
13. Who is the captain of the Hannah Bolen?
(a) Charlie Reed.
(b) Albert Johnston.
(c) Bob Brown.
(d) Linda Greenlaw.
14. Who is in charge of sailing the Satori?
(a) Howard Blackburn.
(b) Charlie Reed.
(c) Ray Leonard.
(d) Bob Brown.
15. What is the name of the vessel upon which it is established that the note in the bottle was written?
(a) The Wyeth.
(b) The Atlantic Seafarer.
(c) The Dolan.
(d) The Falcon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ruined Billy Tyne's marriage to his wife, Jodi?
2. The note in the bottle that is found floating along the coast of New England is directed to which of the following?
3. What region serves as a route through which the cold front that becomes part of "the mix" passes to join two other meteorological events to collectively create "The Perfect Storm"?
4. What particular set of items do Chris and Murph gather to take with them aboard the Andrea Gail?
5. How many miles does the Andrea Gail log over the course of four days?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)