|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the crew of the Andrea Gail spot the Mary T?
(a) In the Grand Banks area.
(b) Off the coast of Gloucester.
(c) Near Georges Bank.
(d) Off the coast of Newfoundland.
2. According to Junger, who were the first to invent long line boats?
(a) The French.
(b) The Canadians.
(c) The Koreans.
(d) The Americans.
3. Who is in charge of sailing the Satori?
(a) Ray Leonard.
(b) Charlie Reed.
(c) Howard Blackburn.
(d) Bob Brown.
4. What is Andrea Gail crew member "Sully" Sullivan's real given name?
5. Who keeps records aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) Billy Tyne.
(b) Bobby Stratford.
(c) Michael Moran.
(d) No one.
6. What particular set of items do Chris and Murph gather to take with them aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) Photos of each of their family members.
(b) A load of movies.
(c) Extra life jackets.
(d) Survival suits.
7. When fishing, how long are the workdays of crew members aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 8 hours.
(d) 18 hours.
8. Who aboard the Andrea Gail is able to survive "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) No one.
(b) Michael Moran.
(c) Alfred Pierre.
(d) Billy Tyne.
9. According to weather reports, what type of foul weather condition is taking place in Bermuda?
(a) A series of severe thunderstorms.
(b) A typhoon.
(c) A hurricane.
(d) A hail storm accompanied by tornados.
10. What is the name of the fishing village where the dock from which the Andrea Gail sets sail is located?
11. According to Junger, fishermen enter their profession via which of the following routes listed?
(a) They pursue and obtain a college education in marine biology.
(b) Fishermen openly choose the fishing profession.
(c) They enter it to provide for their families.
(d) Fishermen wander into fishing because their fathers, uncles, brothers, friends and other men in their lives are in it..
12. What serves as Sebastian Junger's source for conversations that take place among characters in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) United States Coast Guard incident reports.
(b) His mind. He makes up conversations among the crew of the Andrea Gail.
(c) Ship's log aboard the Andrea Gail.
(d) Audio tapes recorded by the crew of the Andrea Gail.
13. What type of boat is the note writer in Chapter One aboard?
(a) A dinghy.
(b) A schooner.
(c) A ketch.
(d) A pontoon.
14. The note in the bottle that is found floating along the coast of New England is directed to which of the following?
(b) No one.
15. What group, if any, provides Sebastian Junger with the basis upon which he creates the tragedy that strikes the Andrea Gail?
(a) The United States Coast Guard which grants Junger access to a collection of incident reports detailing ship disasters in the same area where disaster hits the Andrea Gail.
(b) Local fishermen who have survived similar storms.
(c) Support group comprised of family members who lost loved ones aboard the Andrea Gail.
(d) No group. Sebastian Junger creates the events surrounding the tragedy that struck aboard the Andrea Gail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does disaster strike the boat upon which the note in a bottle was written?
2. Whose version is used as a basis for the description of the tragedy that takes place aboard the Andrea Gail during "The Perfect Storm"?
3. Ethel Shatford, the mother of Andrea Gail crew member Bobby Shatford works as a bartender at which of the taverns listed?
4. Based on its contents, what human emotion is conveyed in the note in a bottle found in Chapter One?
5. Ultimately, how many pounds of fish are caught by the captain and crew of the Andrea Gail?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)