|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following sites are mentioned in Chapter Three as being two of the most dangerous places to fish?
(a) Grand Banks and Georges Bank.
(b) Gloucester Port and Boston Port.
(c) Boston Port and Fairhaven Port.
(d) Gloucester Port and Fairhaven Port.
2. What is the primary reason that the English settle in Beauport around 1603?
(a) Because of the busy port.
(b) Because every family was being granted ten acres of land.
(c) Because of the abundance of cod.
(d) Because it was free from British rule.
3. Who owns the Andrea Gail?
(a) Bob Brown.
(b) Linda Greenlaw.
(c) Alfred Pierre.
(d) Howard Blackburn.
4. Who replaces Adam Randall as a crew member aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) "Sully" Sullivan.
(b) Bobby Shatford.
(c) Dale Murphy.
(d) "Bugsy" Moran.
5. What type of refuge are the taverns around the fishing village in "The Perfect Storm" known to serve as for local fishermen?
(a) Community centers.
(b) Homes away from home.
(c) Support group meeting places.
6. What type of basis does Sebastian Junger strive toward maintaining throughout his writing of "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Religious basis.
(b) Surreal basis.
(c) Fantasy basis.
(d) Factual basis.
7. What is Andrea Gail crew member "Sully" Sullivan's real given name?
8. Which of the time frames listed corresponds best to the setting of "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) January, 1985.
(b) October, 1991.
(c) March, 1993.
(d) July, 1992.
9. Who is the cook aboard the Andrea Gail?
10. What type of activity does Junger engage in before being able to describe events that occur during "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) He interviews patrons of "The Crow's Nest".
(c) Literary research.
(d) Thoughts of a theoretical nature.
11. Why does Adam Randall decide not to join the crew of the Andrea Gail on the particular fishing trip described in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Adam slips, falls, and fractures his back, leaving him unable to travel.
(b) His mother becomes gravely ill and Adam feels that he cannot leave.
(c) He forgets to pack his blood pressure medication and is unable to leave without it.
(d) Adam has a premonition of disaster.
12. Who does Sebastian Junger depend on for information to include in his narrative about the events surrounding the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail from Gloucester?
(a) Junger depends on himself. He creates the events surrounding the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail.
(b) Adam Randall who witnesses the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail.
(c) Bobby Stratford's mother who runs "The Crow's Nest" and who has witnessed the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail.
(d) Christine Cotter who has witnessed the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail.
13. What does the captain of the Andrea Gail rely on to position his boat and crew away from dangerous storms at sea?
(c) Weather reports.
(d) GPS (Global Positioning System).
14. What is the theme of the book that is also the theme of Chapter 2?
(a) "Fishing is dangerous".
(b) "Sailors are people, too".
(c) "Never tempt fate."
(d) "Fishing as a Subculture".
15. Aboard the Andrea Gail, Billy Tyne shares quarters with which of the following?
(a) Sully Sullivan.
(b) Alfred Pierre.
(c) Bobby Shatford.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the crew keeping in radio contact with when disaster strikes the Andrea Gail?
2. According to Junger, who were the first to invent long line boats?
3. What is the name of the ice company in the fishing village upon which the crew of the Andrea Gail depends on for ice to keep fish fresh aboard the Andrea Gail?
4. Ethel Shatford, the mother of Andrea Gail crew member Bobby Shatford works as a bartender at which of the taverns listed?
5. Which of the taverns listed is located around the fishing village from which the Andrea Gail sets sail?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)