|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the vessel upon which it is established that the note in the bottle was written?
(a) The Wyeth.
(b) The Falcon.
(c) The Atlantic Seafarer.
(d) The Dolan.
2. What does Junger NOT imply toward families who lost loved ones with respect to the title, "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) A book title.
(b) Disrespect and insult.
(c) Reference to an event that changed their lives.
(d) His opinion of a particular meteorological event.
3. Who replaces Adam Randall as a crew member aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) Bobby Shatford.
(b) Dale Murphy.
(c) "Sully" Sullivan.
(d) "Bugsy" Moran.
4. Who is the captain of the Hannah Bolen?
(a) Albert Johnston.
(b) Bob Brown.
(c) Charlie Reed.
(d) Linda Greenlaw.
5. What particular set of items do Chris and Murph gather to take with them aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) A load of movies.
(b) Survival suits.
(c) Extra life jackets.
(d) Photos of each of their family members.
6. What is the theme of the book that is also the theme of Chapter 2?
(a) "Fishing is dangerous".
(b) "Sailors are people, too".
(c) "Fishing as a Subculture".
(d) "Never tempt fate."
7. Where does the crew of the Andrea Gail spot the Mary T?
(a) In the Grand Banks area.
(b) Off the coast of Newfoundland.
(c) Near Georges Bank.
(d) Off the coast of Gloucester.
8. What ruined Billy Tyne's marriage to his wife, Jodi?
(a) His excessive drinking.
(b) His excessive gambling at the local taverns.
(c) He had an affair with Bobby's sister, Mary Anne Shatford and Jodi found out about it.
(d) Fishing took over his life.
9. Which of the time frames listed corresponds best to the setting of "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) July, 1992.
(b) March, 1993.
(c) October, 1991.
(d) January, 1985.
10. According to Junger, which of the following types of fish is the most popular catch among early European fishermen fishing off the coast of Newfoundland in the New World?
(a) Mahi mahi.
11. What region serves as a route through which the cold front that becomes part of "the mix" passes to join two other meteorological events to collectively create "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Canadian Shield.
(b) North Pole.
(d) Arctic Circle.
12. "The Perfect Storm" is a mixture of literature and what other type of narrative?
(d) Journalistic reporting.
13. What source does Sebastian Junger use to reconstruct the disaster that befalls the Andrea Gail?
(a) The incident report about the disaster on file with the United States Coast Guard.
(b) Christine Cotter who claims that she has maintained contact with Bobby Stratford throughout the disaster.
(c) His mind. He creates an account detailing the disaster.
(d) A Gloucester fisherman who has witnessed the tragedy aboard the Andrea Gail.
14. What does Linda Greenlaw with the Hannah Bolen provide the captain of the Andrea Gail with when he indicates to her that he has not had a profitable fishing trip?
15. Who owns the Andrea Gail?
(a) Alfred Pierre.
(b) Bob Brown.
(c) Linda Greenlaw.
(d) Howard Blackburn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Junger pose questions related to vessel disasters to in Chapter One?
2. According to the note found in a bottle in Chapter One, what parts of its boat of origin are missing?
3. What does the fishing term "haul back" mean?
4. In retrospect, what is the best label to attach to Junger's narrative in "The Perfect Storm"?
5. According to weather reports, what type of foul weather condition is taking place in Bermuda?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)