|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the crew members of the Andrea Gail spend most of their time doing on the week that the boat travels up and the week that the boat travels back from a fishing trip?
(a) Maintaining life-saving equipment aboard.
(b) Preparing reports on their projected catch on the week that the boat travels up, and preparing actual catch reports on the week that the boat travels back from a fishing trip.
(c) Cleaning and preparing equipment for processing fish.
(d) Relaxing and sleeping.
2. Why does Adam Randall decide not to join the crew of the Andrea Gail on the particular fishing trip described in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Adam slips, falls, and fractures his back, leaving him unable to travel.
(b) Adam has a premonition of disaster.
(c) His mother becomes gravely ill and Adam feels that he cannot leave.
(d) He forgets to pack his blood pressure medication and is unable to leave without it.
3. According to author Sebastian Junger, what does a puncture wound from a swordfish mean?
(a) Instant blood poisoning.
(b) Instant infection.
(c) Instant death.
(d) Instant blood clotting.
4. What type of refuge are the taverns around the fishing village in "The Perfect Storm" known to serve as for local fishermen?
(a) Community centers.
(b) Homes away from home.
(d) Support group meeting places.
5. What serves as Sebastian Junger's source for conversations that take place among characters in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) His mind. He makes up conversations among the crew of the Andrea Gail.
(b) Audio tapes recorded by the crew of the Andrea Gail.
(c) United States Coast Guard incident reports.
(d) Ship's log aboard the Andrea Gail.
6. What is the theme of the book that is also the theme of Chapter 2?
(a) "Fishing as a Subculture".
(b) "Fishing is dangerous".
(c) "Never tempt fate."
(d) "Sailors are people, too".
7. What particular set of items do Chris and Murph gather to take with them aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) Photos of each of their family members.
(b) Extra life jackets.
(c) Survival suits.
(d) A load of movies.
8. Who aboard the Andrea Gail is able to survive "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Alfred Pierre.
(b) Michael Moran.
(c) No one.
(d) Billy Tyne.
9. According to Junger, fishermen enter their profession via which of the following routes listed?
(a) Fishermen wander into fishing because their fathers, uncles, brothers, friends and other men in their lives are in it..
(b) Fishermen openly choose the fishing profession.
(c) They enter it to provide for their families.
(d) They pursue and obtain a college education in marine biology.
10. Who is the captain of the Hannah Bolen?
(a) Bob Brown.
(b) Albert Johnston.
(c) Linda Greenlaw.
(d) Charlie Reed.
11. What is the length of the Andrea Gail?
(a) Seventy-five (75) feet.
(b) Sixty-two (62) feet.
(c) Fifty-five (55) feet.
(d) Forty-five (45) feet.
12. Where does the crew of the Andrea Gail spot the Mary T?
(a) Off the coast of Gloucester.
(b) Off the coast of Newfoundland.
(c) Near Georges Bank.
(d) In the Grand Banks area.
13. What is one of the key questions that Junger asks himself in relation to the men aboard the ill-fated mackerel schooner?
(a) "Did they ever make it back home?
(b) "Do they cry?"
(c) "What did they do with the mackerel that they had caught?"
(d) "Did they try to get help from neighboring schooners?
14. What does Junger NOT imply toward families who lost loved ones with respect to the title, "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Reference to an event that changed their lives.
(b) Disrespect and insult.
(c) His opinion of a particular meteorological event.
(d) A book title.
15. According to the note found in a bottle in Chapter One, what parts of its boat of origin are missing?
(a) Yards and line.
(b) Hatch lid and canvas.
(c) Mast and sail.
(d) Cable and rudder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Andrea Gail crew member "Sully" Sullivan's real given name?
2. According to Junger, what type of shark can bite a man's leg off even after you cut off its head?
3. What year is the note in a bottle found that is mentioned in Chapter One?
4. How many crew members have contributed to writing the note found in a bottle in Chapter One?
5. What does Linda Greenlaw with the Hannah Bolen provide the captain of the Andrea Gail with when he indicates to her that he has not had a profitable fishing trip?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)