|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a month at sea, where does the Mary T make port?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Fairhaven, Massachusetts.
(c) Gloucester, Massachusetts.
(d) Worcester, Massachusetts.
2. What is the length of the Andrea Gail?
(a) Fifty-five (55) feet.
(b) Forty-five (45) feet.
(c) Sixty-two (62) feet.
(d) Seventy-five (75) feet.
3. Which of the following is an information source whom Junger uses to write "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Gloucester mayor.
(b) Gloucester Gazette.
(c) Gloucester fishermen.
(d) Gloucester library.
4. How many miles does the Andrea Gail log over the course of four days?
(a) 605 miles.
(b) 460 miles.
(c) 122 miles.
(d) 545 miles.
5. In retrospect, what is the best label to attach to Junger's narrative in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) True account of true events.
(b) Fictionalized account of true events.
(c) Fantasy-based account of true events.
(d) Theoretical account of true events.
6. What is the primary reason that the English settle in Beauport around 1603?
(a) Because every family was being granted ten acres of land.
(b) Because of the abundance of cod.
(c) Because of the busy port.
(d) Because it was free from British rule.
7. What is the name of the vessel upon which it is established that the note in the bottle was written?
(a) The Dolan.
(b) The Wyeth.
(c) The Atlantic Seafarer.
(d) The Falcon.
8. Why does Adam Randall decide not to join the crew of the Andrea Gail on the particular fishing trip described in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) His mother becomes gravely ill and Adam feels that he cannot leave.
(b) He forgets to pack his blood pressure medication and is unable to leave without it.
(c) Adam slips, falls, and fractures his back, leaving him unable to travel.
(d) Adam has a premonition of disaster.
9. Since 1650, how many fisherman from Gloucester have died at sea?
(a) More than 20,000.
(b) More than 7,000.
(c) More than 10,000.
(d) More than 3,000.
10. Ultimately, how many pounds of fish are caught by the captain and crew of the Andrea Gail?
(a) 40,000 pounds.
(b) 30,000 pounds.
(c) 50,000 pounds.
(d) 20,000 pounds.
11. Who is the captain of the Andrea Gail?
(a) Billy Tyne.
(b) Bobby Shatford.
(c) Adam Randall.
(d) Alfred Pierre.
12. What does the captain of the Andrea Gail rely on to position his boat and crew away from dangerous storms at sea?
(b) GPS (Global Positioning System).
(d) Weather reports.
13. According to the note found in a bottle in Chapter One, what parts of its boat of origin are missing?
(a) Mast and sail.
(b) Cable and rudder.
(c) Hatch lid and canvas.
(d) Yards and line.
14. What is Andrea Gail crew member "Sully" Sullivan's real given name?
15. What is Billy Tyne's primary reason for wanting to stay out longer aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) He has an unhappy home life and is not eager to return home.
(b) The Andrea Gail is low on fuel and he is hoping that a passing vessel will afford him the extra fuel that the Andrea Gail needs to make it back to his home port.
(c) Because his contract requires him to stay aboard the Andrea Gail for a certain period of time and he does not want to breach the contract.
(d) He wants to make the trip a profitable one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What particular set of items do Chris and Murph gather to take with them aboard the Andrea Gail?
2. What can be considered the main contributing factor to the Andrea Gail succumbing to "The Perfect Storm"?
3. Who aboard the Andrea Gail is able to survive "The Perfect Storm"?
4. Who keeps records aboard the Andrea Gail?
5. What profession did Billy Tyne want to pursue before becoming a fisherman?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)