|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is an information source whom Junger uses to write "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Gloucester fishermen.
(b) Gloucester library.
(c) Gloucester Gazette.
(d) Gloucester mayor.
2. According to weather reports, what type of foul weather condition is taking place in Bermuda?
(a) A hail storm accompanied by tornados.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A series of severe thunderstorms.
(d) A typhoon.
3. What is the name of the ice company in the fishing village upon which the crew of the Andrea Gail depends on for ice to keep fish fresh aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) "Cape Hollinghouse Ice Company".
(b) "The Cape Cod Ice Company".
(c) "Fresh from the Sea Ice Company".
(d) "Ice by the Block Company".
4. Who owns the Andrea Gail?
(a) Bob Brown.
(b) Alfred Pierre.
(c) Howard Blackburn.
(d) Linda Greenlaw.
5. Who expresses concerns to the person in charge of manning the Satori about the stormy weather that is likely to confront them should they continue toward their destination?
(a) Sue Bylander.
(b) Christine Cotter.
(c) Karen Stimpson.
(d) Mary Anne Shatford.
6. Who is the captain of the Hannah Bolen?
(a) Bob Brown.
(b) Albert Johnston.
(c) Linda Greenlaw.
(d) Charlie Reed.
7. What particular set of items do Chris and Murph gather to take with them aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) Photos of each of their family members.
(b) A load of movies.
(c) Survival suits.
(d) Extra life jackets.
8. What profession did Billy Tyne want to pursue before becoming a fisherman?
(a) A dentist.
(b) A marine biologist.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A lawyer.
9. What type of boat is the Satori?
(a) A pontoon.
(b) A cruise ship.
(c) A large freighter.
(d) A large sailing boat.
10. Which of the following sites are mentioned in Chapter Three as being two of the most dangerous places to fish?
(a) Grand Banks and Georges Bank.
(b) Gloucester Port and Boston Port.
(c) Gloucester Port and Fairhaven Port.
(d) Boston Port and Fairhaven Port.
11. What do the crew members of the Andrea Gail spend most of their time doing on the week that the boat travels up and the week that the boat travels back from a fishing trip?
(a) Maintaining life-saving equipment aboard.
(b) Cleaning and preparing equipment for processing fish.
(c) Relaxing and sleeping.
(d) Preparing reports on their projected catch on the week that the boat travels up, and preparing actual catch reports on the week that the boat travels back from a fishing trip.
12. What does the fishing term "haul back" mean?
(a) Transporting the catch back to the fishing village dock.
(b) Sailing the fishing boat back to the fishing dock.
(c) Checking the line for weight or fish biting and then hauling the fish onto the boat.
(d) Tossing the inedible fish in the fishing net back into the ocean.
13. What is Andrea Gail crew member "Bugsy" Moran's real given name?
14. Based on its contents, what human emotion is conveyed in the note in a bottle found in Chapter One?
15. Who is the captain of the Andrea Gail?
(a) Billy Tyne.
(b) Alfred Pierre.
(c) Adam Randall.
(d) Bobby Shatford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What source does Sebastian Junger use to reconstruct the disaster that befalls the Andrea Gail?
2. What type of fishing is conducted aboard the ill-fated boat upon which the note in the bottle is penned?
3. How is Junger able to assist readers to differentiate direct quotes emanating from the characters throughout his narrative in "The Perfect Storm"?
4. What is the name of Andrea Gail crew member Bobby Shatford's sister?
5. Who does Sebastian Junger depend on for information to include in his narrative about the events surrounding the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail from Gloucester?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)