|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Andrea Gail crew member Bobby Shatford's sister?
(a) Nora Harrah Shatford.
(b) Robin Sheree Shatford.
(c) Mary Anne Shatford.
(d) Gilda Marie Shatford.
2. What does the fishing term "haul back" mean?
(a) Checking the line for weight or fish biting and then hauling the fish onto the boat.
(b) Tossing the inedible fish in the fishing net back into the ocean.
(c) Transporting the catch back to the fishing village dock.
(d) Sailing the fishing boat back to the fishing dock.
3. What information source does Sebastian Junger state that he uses for compiling the direct quotes alluded to characters in "The Perfect Storm" ?
(a) Interview he conducts with the principals.
(b) United States Coast Guard records.
(c) Gloucester Gazette newspaper.
(d) Gloucester town gossip.
4. What type of fishing is conducted aboard the ill-fated boat upon which the note in the bottle is penned?
(a) Mackerel fishing.
(b) Swordfish fishing.
(c) Tuna fishing.
(d) Trout fishing.
5. What type of disaster strikes the boat from which the note in the bottle originates?
(a) Boat sinks.
(b) Struck by lightning.
(c) Struck by a hurricane.
(d) Explosion onboard caused the mackerel schooner to burn down in its entirety.
6. What is the name of the ice company in the fishing village upon which the crew of the Andrea Gail depends on for ice to keep fish fresh aboard the Andrea Gail?
(a) "The Cape Cod Ice Company".
(b) "Fresh from the Sea Ice Company".
(c) "Cape Hollinghouse Ice Company".
(d) "Ice by the Block Company".
7. What serves as Sebastian Junger's source for conversations that take place among characters in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Audio tapes recorded by the crew of the Andrea Gail.
(b) His mind. He makes up conversations among the crew of the Andrea Gail.
(c) Ship's log aboard the Andrea Gail.
(d) United States Coast Guard incident reports.
8. Aboard the Andrea Gail, Billy Tyne shares quarters with which of the following?
(a) Sully Sullivan.
(b) No one.
(c) Alfred Pierre.
(d) Bobby Shatford.
9. What is it that the author(s) of the note found in a bottle in Chapter One ask for via the note?
(a) The crew member asks that the families of all of the crew members be notified of the crew members' deaths.
(b) The crew member asks that whoever finds his note take all necessary steps to locate a rescue team to help him and his fellow crew members to shore.
(c) The crew member asks God to have mercy on him and his fellow crew members.
(d) The crew member asks that only his family members be notified of his death at sea.
10. Who is the captain of the Hannah Bolen?
(a) Linda Greenlaw.
(b) Albert Johnston.
(c) Bob Brown.
(d) Charlie Reed.
11. Whose version is used as a basis for the description of the tragedy that takes place aboard the Andrea Gail during "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Crewman Michael Moran's version.
(b) Skipper Ray Leonard's version.
(c) Author Sebastian Junger's version.
(d) Captain Linda Greenlaw's version.
12. Who is in charge of sailing the Satori?
(a) Howard Blackburn.
(b) Ray Leonard.
(c) Charlie Reed.
(d) Bob Brown.
13. Who does Junger pose questions related to vessel disasters to in Chapter One?
(b) Local bartender.
(d) Seafaring experts.
14. What do the crew members of the Andrea Gail spend most of their time doing on the week that the boat travels up and the week that the boat travels back from a fishing trip?
(a) Cleaning and preparing equipment for processing fish.
(b) Maintaining life-saving equipment aboard.
(c) Preparing reports on their projected catch on the week that the boat travels up, and preparing actual catch reports on the week that the boat travels back from a fishing trip.
(d) Relaxing and sleeping.
15. According to Junger, fishermen enter their profession via which of the following routes listed?
(a) Fishermen openly choose the fishing profession.
(b) They enter it to provide for their families.
(c) Fishermen wander into fishing because their fathers, uncles, brothers, friends and other men in their lives are in it..
(d) They pursue and obtain a college education in marine biology.
Short Answer Questions
1. What source does Sebastian Junger use to reconstruct the disaster that befalls the Andrea Gail?
2. The manner in which Sebastian Junger writes Chapter One makes it resemble what type of narrative source?
3. What is Billy Tyne's primary reason for wanting to stay out longer aboard the Andrea Gail?
4. "The Perfect Storm" is a mixture of literature and what other type of narrative?
5. Why does Adam Randall decide not to join the crew of the Andrea Gail on the particular fishing trip described in "The Perfect Storm"?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)