|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes "voluntary apnea" as used by author Sebastian Junger in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Crew member holds his breath until he loses consciousness.
(b) Crew member takes very short breaths, stops, and then loses consciousness.
(c) Crew members do not inhale until they are about to lose consciousness.
(d) Crew member voluntarily falls asleep before losing consciousness.
2. What type of disaster strikes the boat from which the note in the bottle originates?
(a) Explosion onboard caused the mackerel schooner to burn down in its entirety.
(b) Struck by lightning.
(c) Boat sinks.
(d) Struck by a hurricane.
3. Author Sebastian Junger writes that a series of waves that can drive a ship underwater is known as which of the following?
(b) Wave crush.
(d) Weighing down.
4. The writing style of which popular author listed below, along with his respective work listed alongside his name can be compared to the writing style that is employed by Sebastian Junger in "The Perfect Storm"?
(a) Patrick O'Bryan in his writing of "The Reverse of the Medal".
(b) Ernest Hemingway in his writing of "The Old Man and the Sea".
(c) Truman Capote in his writing of "In Cold Blood".
(d) Clive Cussler in his writing of "Dragon".
5. How many sailors have been known to have drowned on Sable Island after being pounded by waves while trying to find refuge from storms?
(a) Over 15,000.
(b) Over 20,000.
(c) Over 10,000.
(d) Over 5,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Junger, there are waves that do not depend on wind, but rather on which of the following elements?
2. After a month at sea, where does the Mary T make port?
3. Who does Sebastian Junger depend on for information to include in his narrative about the events surrounding the preparation and departure of the Andrea Gail from Gloucester?
4. Aboard the Andrea Gail, Billy Tyne shares quarters with which of the following?
5. What damage amount is estimated to have been caused by "The Perfect Storm" in the New England area?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)