|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brittany do while Alex dances with the bride?
2. Who had Hector planned to kill at the site of the drug deal?
3. Why is Brittany annoyed with Colin lately?
4. On what holiday is Alex to do the drug drop for Hector?
5. Who does Alex call to bail him out of jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Brittany always tried to present herself in a way that people expect of her and how is Alex changing her perspective on that?
2. Why does Brittany go to the garage to see Alex and what do they agree to regarding a new relationship?
3. Why does Alex get mad enough to hit Paco when he comes to the warehouse?
4. When do Brittany and Alex first kiss?
5. In what way does Hector's behavior serve as foreshadowing for danger for Alex later in the story?
6. Why has his dependence on Hector placed Alex in an even more vulnerable spot regarding the gang?
7. Why does Brittany end up breaking up with Colin?
8. What does Alex's mother warn him about regarding Hector?
9. Why does Alex quickly send Brittany away when he sees that Lucky has come to the garage?
10. Why does Alex feel so out of place when he, Brittany, Sierra and Doug visit an art gallery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the major settings for the novel. Why does Elkeles use the settings she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the cultural climate in America in the early 21st century and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)