|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Brittany in Chapter 55 to tell her that Alex has been shot?
2. What does Alex's mother ask Brittany at the wedding reception?
3. What does Alex do with Brittany's car keys in retaliation for her throwing his keys in the woods?
4. How does Shelley communicate?
5. Where does Brittany take Alex in Chapter 44 that makes him uncomfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brittany agree to do for Alex at Paco's request in Chapter 46?
2. Why does Alex feel so out of place when he, Brittany, Sierra and Doug visit an art gallery?
3. When do Brittany and Alex first kiss?
4. What decision have Brittany's parents made regarding Shelley that angers Brittany?
5. Why does Brittany agree to take her relationship with Alex public?
6. Why does Brittany decide to break up with Alex?
7. How does Hector behave when Alex starts asking questions about his father's death?
8. How has Brittany always tried to present herself in a way that people expect of her and how is Alex changing her perspective on that?
9. What happens to Alex when he leaves Mexico and returns to Illinois?
10. What are the circumstances in which Paco is killed and Alex is shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title--"Perfect Chemistry". Why did Elkeles choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
"Perfect Chemistry" is a coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)