|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which teacher supports Alex when he is accused of the act in #106?
2. Where does Paco take Brittany to talk to Alex?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Brittany suffers guilt about?
4. Who had Hector planned to kill at the site of the drug deal?
5. Where do Alex and Brittany first kiss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Brittany demoted from being pom pom captain?
2. What is surprising for Brittany when she speaks to Alex's mother at his cousin's wedding?
3. What is the activity that is building for a personal crisis for Alex related to the gang?
4. What decision have Brittany's parents made regarding Shelley that angers Brittany?
5. What does Alex's mother warn him about regarding Hector?
6. Why does Alex become increasingly important in Brittany's life?
7. Why is Brittany so impressed with Alex's behavior with Shelley?
8. How has Brittany always tried to present herself in a way that people expect of her and how is Alex changing her perspective on that?
9. In what way does Hector's behavior serve as foreshadowing for danger for Alex later in the story?
10. Why does Brittany agree to take her relationship with Alex public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Perfect Chemistry" is a coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Elkeles' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Sanchez used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Elkeles is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)