|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Perfect Chemistry" is written from which point of view?
2. Alex makes a date with Brittany for the coming weekend to do what?
3. What does Brittany say to Alex before she zooms out of the library parking lot?
4. Brittany tricks Alex by ______________________.
5. In Chapter 15, Brittany goes to ________________ with Colin instead of going to dinner and seeing a movie.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does being a Latino Blood gang member make Alex's life harder at school and in his home life?
2. Why does Brittany take more care of her sister than is necessary?
3. What prevents a possible ugly situation when Brittany, who is drunk, wanders into the area of the beach where Alex and his Bloods are hanging out?
4. How does Alex help take care of his widowed mother and two younger brothers?
5. What information about their personal pain do Brittany and Alex admit to each other at the abandoned airport?
6. What is the initial conflict in the story of Alex and Brittany?
7. Why does Alex need Isabel's help regarding Brittany at the beach?
8. Why are Alex, Brittany and Colin forced to go to the principal's office after Chemistry class?
9. What is the nature of the initial hostility between Alex and Brittany?
10. What does Brittany begin to realize about Alex that shows her that they have more in common than she thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the violence? How pervasive was the violence among the gangs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title--"Perfect Chemistry". Why did Elkeles choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Colin. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Colin?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)