|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which class are Brittany and Alex teamed up?
2. Where does Brittany wake up at the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. Where does Alex drive Brittany to in Chapter 23?
4. Why does Brittany rush home after practice?
5. Brittany tricks Alex by ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Alex, Brittany and Colin forced to go to the principal's office after Chemistry class?
2. What unusual technique does the author use regarding point of view in this book?
3. Who is the teacher who shows some interest interest in Alex and his future?
4. Why is Brittany initially resistant to Alex's flirtations?
5. In what way do Brittany and Alex have much in common?
6. What pressures is Brittany experiencing at home and with Colin?
7. What does the author reveal about Brittany's life that is different from outside appearances?
8. Why does Alex need Isabel's help regarding Brittany at the beach?
9. What bet does Alex make with his friends regarding Brittany?
10. What halts a confrontation between Brittany and Carmen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Alex. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Alex?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)