|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alex may have to call _____________ to pick him up if he can't find his keys.
2. Who threatens to beat up Brittany in the gym locker?
3. What does Alex write on the item in #23?
4. In which class are Brittany and Alex teamed up?
5. What does Alex get if he wins the bet in #35?
Short Essay Questions
1. What halts a confrontation between Brittany and Carmen?
2. Who is Carmen and why might Brittany have reason to fear her?
3. Why does Alex need Isabel's help regarding Brittany at the beach?
4. Why is Brittany initially resistant to Alex's flirtations?
5. Who is the teacher who shows some interest interest in Alex and his future?
6. What does Brittany do after Colin pushes her to have sex on the beach?
7. What information about their personal pain do Brittany and Alex admit to each other at the abandoned airport?
8. What unusual technique does the author use regarding point of view in this book?
9. What is the nature of the initial hostility between Alex and Brittany?
10. What bet does Alex make with his friends regarding Brittany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact of gang life in the early 21st century. Compare and contrast the gang lifestyle in America twenty years ago to gang life in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title--"Perfect Chemistry". Why did Elkeles choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)