|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ransom describe the beach where he and the Un-man end up in Chapter 14?
2. After Ransom faints and he walks to find Weston, what color is the sky?
3. What creature is by the Lady as she listens to the Un-man at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What color is the face Ransom sees at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. By Chapter 11, with who or what is Ransom contending?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ransom know that one of the eldila is the Oyarsa of Malacandra?
2. What does Ransom see at the beginning of Chapter 13 as he rides the fish?
3. In what way is Ransom a stone that determines the course of a river?
4. How does Ransom explain what Perelandra will do that day?
5. How is Ransom described by the eldila?
6. During the rainstorm, what does Ransom see when lightning flashes?
7. What does Ransom decide has happened to Weston?
8. What does Ransom see when his thoughts are interrupted by a voice in Chapter 13?
9. When Ransom finally ends his subterranean journey, why does he think he is on a high mountain?
10. What does the creature look like that Ransom stalks in order to find out what is singing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The eldila seem to be servants of Maleldil. In what way do the eldila serve Maleldil? Do the eldila have an appearance like Maledil? What is the job of the eldila? What does Ransom compare the eldila to? Why are they comparable to angels? Do they have a physical form? What characteristics do they possess? In what way do they rule their planets?
Essay Topic 2
Ransom feels homesick as he approaches a floating island in Chapter 8. How does Ransom feel when he reaches the Fixed Land? Does that land seem to make him feel at home? What does Ransom smell that creates a longing in him for the island that is approaching? Why does he decide that he has been homesick for the fixed island? When Ransom approaches the floating island, what is the main emotion he feels? Does he believe that he is homesick? Why does he find it odd that he is homesick for the floating island?
Essay Topic 3
Ransom feels a sense of unbearable pressure when he first talks with the Lady. How does the pressure make Ransom feel? What sense of someone else being present is felt by Ransom? Does the pressure go away when the Lady leaves? How does he describe the pressure? How does Ransom find a way to alleviate the pressure?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)