|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ransom picture in his mind as he makes his way through the darkness in Chapter 14?
2. How tall are the eldila when they take human form?
3. Where was Maleldil born a man?
4. Who does Weston say is doing beastly things with masks on in the middle of the night?
5. What creature does Ransom compare the face to that he sees at the beginning of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ransom explain what Perelandra will do that day?
2. In Chapter 12, why wouldn’t the Lady call Ransom Piebald any longer?
3. What does Ransom discover as he searches the island for Un-man in Chapter 12?
4. After Ransom’s long sleep in the fire-lit cave, how does he feel?
5. What does Ransom see at the beginning of Chapter 13 as he rides the fish?
6. How does Ransom feel after he eats some seaweed?
7. What does Ransom see when his thoughts are interrupted by a voice in Chapter 13?
8. In Chapter 9, what happens when Ransom attempts to move toward Weston?
9. What are some of the things the Un-man does when the Lady dismisses him from her presence?
10. How do the sleep needs of Ransom, the Lady, and the Un-man vary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mood in the novel changes when Weston/Un-man comes on the scene. What would the mood of the novel be before Weston arrives? How does the mood change after Weston comes to Perelandra? At what points in the novel is the mood positive? Negative? Overall, is the mood of the novel more positive or negative?
Essay Topic 2
Ransom believes that Lewis sees him as a megalomaniac. Why does Ransom think Lewis would accuse him of megalomania? What behaviors is Ransom exhibiting? Why might these behaviors be attributed to megalomania? Why isn’t Ransom a megalomaniac?
Essay Topic 3
Several times Ransom feels restrained from doing something he wants to do. What is Ransom doing or thinking of doing when he feels restraint? What emotions does he feel when he cannot do what he wants to do? How does he analyze these feelings of restraint?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)