|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound breaks into Ransom’s dreams in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 2, what do the narrator and Ransom eat for supper?
3. What does the narrator pass on his way to Ransom’s cottage?
4. Who does Ransom hear speaking when he awakes at the end of Chapter 8?
5. About how fast do the Green Lady and Ransom travel when riding the silver fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn’t Ransom eat two of the yellow fruits?
2. What are bubble-trees?
3. How does Ransom make friends with the dragon?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 6 after the Lady is out of sight, what does Ransom have the urge to do?
5. How does the narrator describe the object he sees in Ransom’s house?
6. Describe the thunderstorm.
7. Why does Ransom believe he is being sent to Perelandra?
8. Why is the narrator going to see his friend Ransom?
9. Why does Lewis struggle so when he walks to Ransom’s home?
10. What does Ransom find to eat in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 7, Weston and Ransom have a philosophical argument. What are the beliefs of each man? How does Weston denigrate Ransom’s beliefs? How does Ransom counter Weston’s attacks on his beliefs? Are the men’s beliefs similar?
Essay Topic 2
Ransom feels homesick as he approaches a floating island in Chapter 8. How does Ransom feel when he reaches the Fixed Land? Does that land seem to make him feel at home? What does Ransom smell that creates a longing in him for the island that is approaching? Why does he decide that he has been homesick for the fixed island? When Ransom approaches the floating island, what is the main emotion he feels? Does he believe that he is homesick? Why does he find it odd that he is homesick for the floating island?
Essay Topic 3
Ransom does not want to accept the role of savior of Perelandra. Why doesn’t Ransom believe he is qualified to be a savior? What does he think are the qualities of a savior? What does he begin to realize about the role of a savior? How does he come to accept his role?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)