|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tony Baba?
(a) A beneficient monk.
(b) A close chicano friend of Mimi's
(c) A childhood friend of Loreto's.
(d) A wealthy gringo who haunts the nightclubs.
2. What two hobbies did Tony Baba's wife have?
(a) Knitting and sewing.
(b) Cooking and baking.
(c) Talking on the phone and collecting money.
(d) Reading and playing the piano.
3. When Manuel dies, what does his friend make for him?
(a) A cross out of twigs.
(b) A wreath of desert flowers.
(c) A cross out of bones.
(d) A memorial mound of stones.
4. How does Loreto earn money?
(a) He is a panhandler.
(b) He sells tourist items.
(c) He sells vegetables at the side of the road.
(d) He washes cars.
5. Who are Don and Dosa de Cocuch?
(a) Distant relatives of Loreto.
(b) The wealthy couple Loreto ran into before.
(c) The mayor and his wife.
(d) A noble couple from Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chalito's father's name?
2. At what time does Chalito utter his last word?
3. What tongues does Jes's of Bethlehem seem to speak?
4. Who took Loreto's spot on the street?
5. Who is Ruperta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Loreto and what he does to make money.
2. Who does Loreto run into in the first scene in the book?
3. What is the work situation of the wetbacks working for Tony Baba's grandmother?
4. Who is Lorenzo?
5. What does Cuamea get out of the revolution.
6. A car passes the two exhausted, desperate men. Why doesn't it stop to give them a ride?
7. Why is Chuco sentenced to four years in jail and who sentences him?
8. Why do the people on the street laugh at Loreto?
9. How is the theme of hypocrisy handled in the book?
10. What does Vate do when he reaches San Luis?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)