|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Kite?
(a) A fat, dirty man with swollen feet and a dirty beard.
(b) A young chicano boy who washes cars for money.
(c) A good friend of Tony Baba and his wife.
(d) Loreto's old cousin.
2. Who talks seductively to Malquerida giving her temporary encouragement?
(a) Valente, the Vaseline Man.
(b) Pedro, a traveling salesman.
(c) Geraldo, a street singer.
(d) Jose, a young soldier.
3. What is the desert poetically referred to as?
(a) A blank canvas and a grave.
(b) An ocean of sand.
(c) A kind of heaven.
(d) A land of delights and mysteries.
4. What is Vate afraid of?
(b) Dying of thirst.
(c) Being abandoned by his friend.
5. What promises does the one man tempt the other with to keep him walking?
(a) A meal with scrumptious food.
(b) A woman to sleep with , perhaps a beautiful prostitute.
(c) A cold shower and a good night's sleep.
(d) Shoes and clothes for his family and maybe schooling.
6. Besides the theme of racism, what other theme is used in the book?
(a) Madness created by hunger, abuse and biogtry.
(b) The superiority of men over women.
(c) People who pose as good Christians while exploiting others.
(d) Wealth as the tool of social injustice.
7. What do they do to Chalito to try to make him well?
(a) They sprinkle holy water on him.
(b) They feed him home-made chicken soup.
(c) They take him to the doctor.
(d) They give him cinnamon tea and aspirin and rub his chest with vicks.
8. Don de Cocuch spent a lot of time around what animals?
9. Who does Loreto meet on their way to church in the beginning of the book?
(a) A large Mexican family.
(b) A well-dressed, wealthy couple.
(c) Two American tourists.
(d) A poor chicano couple
10. Which worker does Tony Baba's grandmother intensely dislike and why?
11. What does the government do to Jes's because they're afraid of him?
(a) They nail him to a cross.
(b) They tie him against a saguaro with huge thorns.
(c) They hang him.
(d) They shoot him with a firing squad.
12. What unusual physical feature did Papa's grandmother have?
(a) A hairy chest.
(b) Gorgeous, long , black, shiny hair.
(c) A large tattoo of an alligator.
(d) A very long nose.
13. What kind of a man is Vate?
(a) He's a sad man.
(b) He's an optimistic, happy man.
(c) He's a hard-working, practical man.
(d) He's a mystical, almost priest-like man.
14. What sign does Chuco imitate?
(a) A sign showing a Mexican crossing the desert.
(b) A sign showing a sleeping Mexican, seemingly a lazy bum.
(c) A sign showing a Mexican dancing on his sombrero.
(d) A sign showing a man drinking tequila.
15. What is one of the main character traits of Loreto?
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Chalito's coffin.
2. How many children does Lencho have?
3. Who took Loreto's spot on the street?
4. Describe Loreto's pants and what happens to him because of them?
5. What does one of the group of travelers die from?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)