|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jes's of Bethlehem do?
(a) He heals people and doesn't charge money.
(b) He begs for money very convincingly.
(c) He becomes a priest.
(d) He sings religious songs.
2. Who are the two competitors of Chuco, the champion cotton-picker?
(a) Kite and Pedro.
(b) Geraldo and Juan.
(c) Loreto and Maria.
(d) Pelele and a black man.
3. What does one of the group of travelers die from?
(b) A heart attack.
(c) The measles.
4. What was Buzz Saw's real name?
5. Where does the narrator go and what work is he seeking?
(a) He goes to Tucson to become a waiter in a Mexican restaurant.
(b) He goes to California to become a panhandler.
(c) He goes to Phoenix to work in construction.
(d) He goes back to Mexico to work on a farm.
6. How old was Buzz Saw?
7. How many children does Lencho have?
8. What do an officer and a soldier complain about regarding Chayon and his Yaqui Indians?
(a) That they are uneducated.
(b) That they are taking up arms against the government.
(c) That they are dirty and ragged.
(d) That they are too religious.
9. Dosa de Cocuch has what bad habit?
(a) She chews gum.
(b) She chews tobacco.
(c) She's a chain smoker.
(d) She takes drugs.
10. How did Loreto walk?
(a) He walked with difficulty and aching legs.
(b) He walked very straight with good posture.
(c) He almost skipped along.
(d) He walked with quick, short steps.
11. How does an old woman named Candelita finally sell her lottery tickets?
(a) By crying and telling her life story.
(b) By selling home-made cookies with them.
(c) By putting a ball under her dress as if she were a hunchback.
(d) By telling fortunes along with selling the tickets.
12. What was the distinguishing factor about the Babas' bathroom?
(a) It was lined with mirrors.
(b) It was huge.
(c) It had a large, sunken tub.
(d) It had a view of the mountains from the window.
13. What does the name, Ramagacha, mean?
(a) Bent Branch.
(b) Howling dog.
(c) Crooked Road.
(d) Full moon.
14. How does Tony Baba's grandmother show herself as truly villainous?
(a) She has her workers deported to avoid paying them.
(b) She verbally abuses her workers.
(c) She turns a cold shoulder to a poor pregnant relative.
(d) She curses God.
15. What is one of the main character traits of Loreto?
Short Answer Questions
1. What promises does the one man tempt the other with to keep him walking?
2. What tongues does Jes's of Bethlehem seem to speak?
3. What military rank did Chayo Cuamea have?
4. What kind of a man is Vate?
5. What do the soldiers want to do to Chayo Cuamea?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)