|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Cactacae intend to kill the slake moths?
2. Where is Lin being held at the time of Isaac's arrest?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT leave New Crobuzan at the end of the novel?
4. Where does Derkhan go to purchase a dying patient?
5. How many constructs does Isaac count at the council?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Andrej Shelbornek?
2. What effect are the slake moths having on the people of New Crobuzon?
3. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
4. How is the final slake moth killed?
5. How does Shadrack die?
6. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
7. How is the slake moth killed at the Construct Compound?
8. What request does the unexpected guest make of Isaac?
9. How are the four fugitive greeted when they arrive at the Construct Compound?
10. What is the mood of the novel as it comes to a close?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Weaver is an interesting character with an interesting personal progression through the novel. First, describe the Weaver's personality at the opening of the novel, and how he became involved in the plot against the slake moths. Then, describe the Weaver's sudden character shift. What event caused this shift in motivation? Do you think it was genuine? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Isaac is obsessed with various aspects of science: biology, chemistry, and physics. Give one example of times when each of these three scientific structures affects Isaac's life and the plot of the novel. In your opinion, which of the three scientific elements is most important to the novel as a whole? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)