|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rudgutter, what are the people of New Crobuzan most fearful of?
2. What type of constructs does Isaac take into the Glasshouse with him?
3. Why does Isaac wear a special helmet as he stalks the slake moths?
4. After sunset, how many slake moths does Isaac see take flight into the night sky?
5. How are the slake moth eggs, and their mother, killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the final slake moth killed?
2. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
3. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
4. How are the four fugitive greeted when they arrive at the Construct Compound?
5. Where do Isaac and Lin head at the end of the novel?
6. How do the three slake moths die in the city center?
7. What effect are the slake moths having on the people of New Crobuzon?
8. What is the mood of the novel as it comes to a close?
9. How does Shadrack die?
10. What does Isaac find when he searches Lin's apartment to warn her about the impeding militia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The events inside the Glasshouse are some of the most action-packed and riveting scenes in the entire novel. First, describe the Glasshouse, its occupants, and the social structure of the mini-city. Then, describe how this social structure is disrupted by the introduction of Isaac and his crew. How did this introduction lead to the death of many of Isaac's friends and many of the slake moths? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening of the novel, China Mieville immediately sets the parameters for the world of New Crobuzon and the rules of life there. First, describe in detail the setting of New Crobuzan and the rules of society life there. Then explain how this introduction prepared you as a reader to engage with the conflicts of the novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)