|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters says, "Marvelous. You've got a vacuum cleaner on your side!"
2. What sound does the crisis engine make when it is running?
3. Which of the following descriptions best describes Isaac's unexpected visitor?
4. Which of the following characters does NOT go to the Glasshouse with Isaac?
5. What type of insect is a Remude human mixed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isaac find when he searches Lin's apartment to warn her about the impeding militia?
2. How does Shadrack die?
3. How do the three slake moths die in the city center?
4. What unexpected visitor stops at Isaac's house following the final slake moth attack?
5. How do the members of MontJohn Rescue dress?
6. What request does the unexpected guest make of Isaac?
7. How are the four fugitive greeted when they arrive at the Construct Compound?
8. What is most shocking to Isaac about the humans that run the Construct Compound?
9. How does Isaac react to the request of his unexpected visitor?
10. Why does Isaac visit Canker River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Vodyanoi are famous in New Crobuzan for making a particular type of artwork. First, describe the type of artwork made by the Vodyanoi, and then explain why only the Vadyanoi are physically equipped to make this type of artwork. Then, describe the piece of artwork that Isaac buys from the Vodyanoi at the opening of the novel. How does this piece of artwork affect his scientific journey for the rest of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Weaver is an interesting character with an interesting personal progression through the novel. First, describe the Weaver's personality at the opening of the novel, and how he became involved in the plot against the slake moths. Then, describe the Weaver's sudden character shift. What event caused this shift in motivation? Do you think it was genuine? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening of the novel, China Mieville immediately sets the parameters for the world of New Crobuzon and the rules of life there. First, describe in detail the setting of New Crobuzan and the rules of society life there. Then explain how this introduction prepared you as a reader to engage with the conflicts of the novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)