|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does the crisis engine make when it is running?
2. Which of the following is NOT part of the militia men's uniform?
3. When Isaac awakens from his unconsciousness after his arrest, where is he?
4. At what time will Isaac's final plan against the slake moths be completed?
5. What do the travelers use to guide their way as they leave New Crobuzan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isaac react to the request of his unexpected visitor?
2. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
3. How is the slake moth killed at the Construct Compound?
4. How is the final slake moth killed?
5. What effect are the slake moths having on the people of New Crobuzon?
6. How does the crew manage to weave the dream cable throughout the entire city?
7. Where does Isaac awaken after being kidnapped by the Weaver?
8. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
9. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
10. What does Isaac find when he searches Lin's apartment to warn her about the impeding militia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the maturation process for the larva Isaac kept in his laboratory that eventually became the slake moth. What developmental stages did the larva go through? In your opinion, were there warning signs about the terrible creature the larva would become? If so, when? Finally, who do you think should be held responsible for the slake moth attacks? Why? Be sure to include information from the text to help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
New Crobuzan is run completely by Mayor Rudgutter and his militia of armed men. First, describe Mayor Rudgutter as a leader. What qualities does he most value in his subordinates? Then, chose one example from the text in which you believed Rudgutter handled his position well. Then, compare / contrast that to a time when Rudgutter failed in his post. In your opinion, is Rudgutter a good city mayor? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the middle of the novel, the reader learns that Dr. Barbile and Benjamin Flex were working together on a project involving the slake moths for the government. First, describe the details given in the novel regarding this undercover project. Then, while using the consequential actions from the novel, explain what you think the real purpose of Dr. Barbile's experiment was. How did this experiment lead to Benjamin Flex's death? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)