|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Andrej killed?
2. How many constructs does Isaac count at the council?
3. What type of creatures live in the Glasshouse?
4. Who do the Cactacae police kill in the scuffle following the mother slake moth's death?
5. What is interesting about Isaac's attire when he goes to meet the Weaver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is most shocking to Isaac about the humans that run the Construct Compound?
2. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
3. How does Isaac react to the request of his unexpected visitor?
4. What unexpected visitor stops at Isaac's house following the final slake moth attack?
5. How is the slake moth killed at the Construct Compound?
6. What request does the unexpected guest make of Isaac?
7. How does Isaac treat Lin after the final slake moth attack?
8. How do the three slake moths die in the city center?
9. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
10. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Isaac is obsessed with various aspects of science: biology, chemistry, and physics. Give one example of times when each of these three scientific structures affects Isaac's life and the plot of the novel. In your opinion, which of the three scientific elements is most important to the novel as a whole? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the final chapter of the novel, Mieville attempts to describe justice in New Crobuzan. First, describe what happened to the "good guys" in the novel and compare / contrast that to what happened to the "bad guys" in the novel. In your opinion, was this a fair, or just, way for the novel to end? Did the end justification seem organic to the story or did it seem forced? Explain. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)