|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Andrej Shelbornek?
2. How many shots hit Mr. Motley?
3. Where do Isaac and his crew sleep on the night they search for Lin?
4. Which of the following characters does NOT leave New Crobuzan at the end of the novel?
5. What is the first clue Isaac spots to confirm his suspicions that the slake moths live in the Glasshouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Cactacae feel about the slake moths hiding out in their buildings?
2. What is most shocking to Isaac about the humans that run the Construct Compound?
3. How does Isaac treat Lin after the final slake moth attack?
4. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
5. How do the three slake moths die in the city center?
6. What happens at 11:00 p.m. at the Glasshouse?
7. Where do Isaac and Lin head at the end of the novel?
8. How do the members of MontJohn Rescue dress?
9. What unexpected visitor stops at Isaac's house following the final slake moth attack?
10. What is waiting for Isaac in the room that "reeks of rotting flesh"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening of the novel, China Mieville immediately sets the parameters for the world of New Crobuzon and the rules of life there. First, describe in detail the setting of New Crobuzan and the rules of society life there. Then explain how this introduction prepared you as a reader to engage with the conflicts of the novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Perhaps the eeriest place Isaac visits in the entire novel is the construct council. First, describe the setting of the construct council and the way society is structured there. Then, explain why Isaac finds himself at the construct council and what requests he makes of the council while he is there. Finally, explain why Isaac chooses to trust the council when he has turned his back on so many others along the way. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the middle of the novel, the reader learns that Dr. Barbile and Benjamin Flex were working together on a project involving the slake moths for the government. First, describe the details given in the novel regarding this undercover project. Then, while using the consequential actions from the novel, explain what you think the real purpose of Dr. Barbile's experiment was. How did this experiment lead to Benjamin Flex's death? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)