|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time will Isaac's final plan against the slake moths be completed?
2. Where is Lin being held at the time of Isaac's arrest?
3. Why must Isaac enter the Glasshouse through the sewer system?
4. According to Rudgutter, what are the people of New Crobuzan most fearful of?
5. What floor of her apartment building does Lin live on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unexpected visitor stops at Isaac's house following the final slake moth attack?
2. What effect are the slake moths having on the people of New Crobuzon?
3. How do the Cactacae feel about the slake moths hiding out in their buildings?
4. How are the four fugitive greeted when they arrive at the Construct Compound?
5. What is most shocking to Isaac about the humans that run the Construct Compound?
6. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
7. Where do Isaac and Lin head at the end of the novel?
8. How does Isaac react to the request of his unexpected visitor?
9. What plan to kill the slake moths does Isaac concoct with the help of the Constructs?
10. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Isaac is obsessed with various aspects of science: biology, chemistry, and physics. Give one example of times when each of these three scientific structures affects Isaac's life and the plot of the novel. In your opinion, which of the three scientific elements is most important to the novel as a whole? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Vodyanoi are famous in New Crobuzan for making a particular type of artwork. First, describe the type of artwork made by the Vodyanoi, and then explain why only the Vadyanoi are physically equipped to make this type of artwork. Then, describe the piece of artwork that Isaac buys from the Vodyanoi at the opening of the novel. How does this piece of artwork affect his scientific journey for the rest of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Isaac learns that he cannot trust many of the friends he once held dear to him. Choose two of Isaac's friends or colleagues that he thought he could trust, but turned out to be unable to. What changed in these relationships to destroy the trust between old friends? Given the circumstances, do you think Isaac overreacted to his friends' loss of trust? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)