|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the slake moth's final victim?
2. Which of the following characters says, "Marvelous. You've got a vacuum cleaner on your side!"
3. Which of Isaac's colleagues was the only one to be arrested with him?
4. Who / what does Isaac want to warn Lin about after his arrest?
5. According to Rudgutter, what are the people of New Crobuzan most fearful of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
2. How is the final slake moth killed?
3. Who is Andrej Shelbornek?
4. What request does the unexpected guest make of Isaac?
5. How does Shadrack die?
6. How does Isaac treat Lin after the final slake moth attack?
7. What happens at 11:00 p.m. at the Glasshouse?
8. What does Isaac find when he searches Lin's apartment to warn her about the impeding militia?
9. How does Isaac react to the request of his unexpected visitor?
10. What is waiting for Isaac in the room that "reeks of rotting flesh"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Isaac learns that he cannot trust many of the friends he once held dear to him. Choose two of Isaac's friends or colleagues that he thought he could trust, but turned out to be unable to. What changed in these relationships to destroy the trust between old friends? Given the circumstances, do you think Isaac overreacted to his friends' loss of trust? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Weaver is an interesting character with an interesting personal progression through the novel. First, describe the Weaver's personality at the opening of the novel, and how he became involved in the plot against the slake moths. Then, describe the Weaver's sudden character shift. What event caused this shift in motivation? Do you think it was genuine? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the maturation process for the larva Isaac kept in his laboratory that eventually became the slake moth. What developmental stages did the larva go through? In your opinion, were there warning signs about the terrible creature the larva would become? If so, when? Finally, who do you think should be held responsible for the slake moth attacks? Why? Be sure to include information from the text to help strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)