|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinces Isaac that Lin is already dead and that it would be a waste of time to search for her?
2. Where are the travelers headed?
3. Where does Derkhan go to purchase a dying patient?
4. Who knocks out Andrej Shelbornek?
5. Where will Isaac's final plan take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Isaac and Lin head at the end of the novel?
2. How do the Cactacae feel about the slake moths hiding out in their buildings?
3. How is the slake moth killed at the Construct Compound?
4. What does Isaac find when he searches Lin's apartment to warn her about the impeding militia?
5. What request does the unexpected guest make of Isaac?
6. Where does Isaac awaken after being kidnapped by the Weaver?
7. Who is Andrej Shelbornek?
8. How are the four fugitive greeted when they arrive at the Construct Compound?
9. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
10. How does Isaac treat Lin after the final slake moth attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At first glance, the slake moths seem unstoppably powerful. First, describe the physicality and hunting style of the slake moths. Then, choose two deaths at the hands of the slake moths and describe them in detail. In your opinion, are slake moths more menacing than any other animal in the wild kingdom? Why or why not? Should the slake moths be villainized, or called "evil", because they are following their instincts? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Weaver is an interesting character with an interesting personal progression through the novel. First, describe the Weaver's personality at the opening of the novel, and how he became involved in the plot against the slake moths. Then, describe the Weaver's sudden character shift. What event caused this shift in motivation? Do you think it was genuine? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)