|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Motley want from Isaac in exchange for Lin's safety.
2. What does the visitor beg Isaac to withhold from Yagharek?
3. Who kills the slake moth eggs?
4. Who / what does Isaac want to warn Lin about after his arrest?
5. What floor of her apartment building does Lin live on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the crew manage to weave the dream cable throughout the entire city?
2. What effect are the slake moths having on the people of New Crobuzon?
3. What plan to kill the slake moths does Isaac concoct with the help of the Constructs?
4. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
5. What does Isaac find when he searches Lin's apartment to warn her about the impeding militia?
6. How is the slake moth killed at the Construct Compound?
7. What is waiting for Isaac in the room that "reeks of rotting flesh"?
8. How do the Cactacae feel about the slake moths hiding out in their buildings?
9. How are the four fugitive greeted when they arrive at the Construct Compound?
10. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The events inside the Glasshouse are some of the most action-packed and riveting scenes in the entire novel. First, describe the Glasshouse, its occupants, and the social structure of the mini-city. Then, describe how this social structure is disrupted by the introduction of Isaac and his crew. How did this introduction lead to the death of many of Isaac's friends and many of the slake moths? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)