|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Motley want from Isaac in exchange for Lin's safety.
2. What do the parasitic creatures around the militia men's necks resemble?
3. How do the Cactacae intend to kill the slake moths?
4. What direction do the travelers head at the end of the novel?
5. What evening hour do the streets in the Glasshouse close down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at 11:00 p.m. at the Glasshouse?
2. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
3. What request does the unexpected guest make of Isaac?
4. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
5. How does Isaac react to the request of his unexpected visitor?
6. How does Shadrack die?
7. How do the members of MontJohn Rescue dress?
8. How does the crew manage to weave the dream cable throughout the entire city?
9. How is the final slake moth killed?
10. Where does Isaac awaken after being kidnapped by the Weaver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
At first glance, the slake moths seem unstoppably powerful. First, describe the physicality and hunting style of the slake moths. Then, choose two deaths at the hands of the slake moths and describe them in detail. In your opinion, are slake moths more menacing than any other animal in the wild kingdom? Why or why not? Should the slake moths be villainized, or called "evil", because they are following their instincts? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the middle of the novel, the reader learns that Dr. Barbile and Benjamin Flex were working together on a project involving the slake moths for the government. First, describe the details given in the novel regarding this undercover project. Then, while using the consequential actions from the novel, explain what you think the real purpose of Dr. Barbile's experiment was. How did this experiment lead to Benjamin Flex's death? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)