|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first clue Isaac spots to confirm his suspicions that the slake moths live in the Glasshouse?
2. What evening hour do the streets in the Glasshouse close down?
3. What is the construct council made of?
4. Where are the travelers headed?
5. Why is the large slake moth lying "languorously" on the floor when Isaac approaches her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
2. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
3. How are the four fugitive greeted when they arrive at the Construct Compound?
4. What is waiting for Isaac in the room that "reeks of rotting flesh"?
5. Why does Isaac visit Canker River?
6. How is the final slake moth killed?
7. Where do Isaac and Lin head at the end of the novel?
8. What is the mood of the novel as it comes to a close?
9. How do the members of MontJohn Rescue dress?
10. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Isaac is obsessed with various aspects of science: biology, chemistry, and physics. Give one example of times when each of these three scientific structures affects Isaac's life and the plot of the novel. In your opinion, which of the three scientific elements is most important to the novel as a whole? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening of the novel, the reader has a very clear impression of Isaac's relationship with Lin. First, describe the relationship between these two characters - why is their relationship unusual? Why is their relationship successful - and then describe how the relationship changes over the course of the novel. In your opinion, in what is the turning point in Isaac's relationship with Lin? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)