|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT leave New Crobuzan at the end of the novel?
2. What crime is Yagharke allegedly guilty of committing?
3. At what time will Isaac's final plan against the slake moths be completed?
4. Who kills the slake moth eggs?
5. How does the nurse feel about selling Andrej to Derkhan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the members of MontJohn Rescue dress?
2. Why does Isaac visit Canker River?
3. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
4. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
5. How does the crew manage to weave the dream cable throughout the entire city?
6. How does Isaac treat Lin after the final slake moth attack?
7. What is the mood of the novel as it comes to a close?
8. Where do Isaac and Lin head at the end of the novel?
9. How does Shadrack die?
10. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening of the novel, the reader has a very clear impression of Isaac's relationship with Lin. First, describe the relationship between these two characters - why is their relationship unusual? Why is their relationship successful - and then describe how the relationship changes over the course of the novel. In your opinion, in what is the turning point in Isaac's relationship with Lin? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the maturation process for the larva Isaac kept in his laboratory that eventually became the slake moth. What developmental stages did the larva go through? In your opinion, were there warning signs about the terrible creature the larva would become? If so, when? Finally, who do you think should be held responsible for the slake moth attacks? Why? Be sure to include information from the text to help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps the eeriest place Isaac visits in the entire novel is the construct council. First, describe the setting of the construct council and the way society is structured there. Then, explain why Isaac finds himself at the construct council and what requests he makes of the council while he is there. Finally, explain why Isaac chooses to trust the council when he has turned his back on so many others along the way. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)