|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Cactacae feel about the slake moths?
2. What is the mood of the novel in its final chapter?
3. Which member of Isaac's crew does the mother slake moth manage to kill before she dies?
4. How does the nurse feel about selling Andrej to Derkhan?
5. Where do Isaac and his crew sleep on the night they search for Lin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
2. How do the Cactacae feel about the slake moths hiding out in their buildings?
3. Why does Isaac visit Canker River?
4. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
5. What happens at 11:00 p.m. at the Glasshouse?
6. What plan to kill the slake moths does Isaac concoct with the help of the Constructs?
7. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
8. What unexpected visitor stops at Isaac's house following the final slake moth attack?
9. Where do Isaac and Lin head at the end of the novel?
10. How is the final slake moth killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Isaac learns that he cannot trust many of the friends he once held dear to him. Choose two of Isaac's friends or colleagues that he thought he could trust, but turned out to be unable to. What changed in these relationships to destroy the trust between old friends? Given the circumstances, do you think Isaac overreacted to his friends' loss of trust? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps the eeriest place Isaac visits in the entire novel is the construct council. First, describe the setting of the construct council and the way society is structured there. Then, explain why Isaac finds himself at the construct council and what requests he makes of the council while he is there. Finally, explain why Isaac chooses to trust the council when he has turned his back on so many others along the way. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)