|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Isaac's crew does the mother slake moth manage to kill before she dies?
2. What crime is Yagharke allegedly guilty of committing?
3. How does the nurse feel about selling Andrej to Derkhan?
4. Which of the following characters says, "Marvelous. You've got a vacuum cleaner on your side!"
5. How old is Andrej Shelbornek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isaac treat Lin after the final slake moth attack?
2. How does Shadrack die?
3. How do the members of MontJohn Rescue dress?
4. Where do Isaac and Lin head at the end of the novel?
5. How are the four fugitive greeted when they arrive at the Construct Compound?
6. What does Isaac find when he searches Lin's apartment to warn her about the impeding militia?
7. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
8. How is the final slake moth killed?
9. What is the mood of the novel as it comes to a close?
10. Who is Andrej Shelbornek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The events inside the Glasshouse are some of the most action-packed and riveting scenes in the entire novel. First, describe the Glasshouse, its occupants, and the social structure of the mini-city. Then, describe how this social structure is disrupted by the introduction of Isaac and his crew. How did this introduction lead to the death of many of Isaac's friends and many of the slake moths? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the maturation process for the larva Isaac kept in his laboratory that eventually became the slake moth. What developmental stages did the larva go through? In your opinion, were there warning signs about the terrible creature the larva would become? If so, when? Finally, who do you think should be held responsible for the slake moth attacks? Why? Be sure to include information from the text to help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)