|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yagharek throw on the slake moth's back, saving its final victim's life?
2. What sound does the crisis engine make when it is running?
3. What type of insect is a Remude human mixed with?
4. What is interesting about Isaac's attire when he goes to meet the Weaver?
5. At what angle is the electric cable inserted into the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan to kill the slake moths does Isaac concoct with the help of the Constructs?
2. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
3. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
4. Why does Isaac visit Canker River?
5. What effect are the slake moths having on the people of New Crobuzon?
6. What unexpected visitor stops at Isaac's house following the final slake moth attack?
7. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
8. How do the members of MontJohn Rescue dress?
9. What is the Weaver doing in the Glasshouse?
10. How do the three slake moths die in the city center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps the eeriest place Isaac visits in the entire novel is the construct council. First, describe the setting of the construct council and the way society is structured there. Then, explain why Isaac finds himself at the construct council and what requests he makes of the council while he is there. Finally, explain why Isaac chooses to trust the council when he has turned his back on so many others along the way. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
There are many interesting characters in the novel, but perhaps none more interesting than Yagharek. First, describe Yagharek's physicality and explain how he came to look like this. Then, describe the relationship between Yagharek and Isaac - both professionally and personally. Do you think Yagharek deserved to be abandoned by Isaac at the end of the novel? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)