|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters says, "Marvelous. You've got a vacuum cleaner on your side!"
2. What type of creatures live in the Glasshouse?
3. Which of the following descriptions best describes Isaac's unexpected visitor?
4. At what river does Isaac meet the Weaver?
5. Where do Isaac and his crew sleep on the night they search for Lin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the four fugitive greeted when they arrive at the Construct Compound?
2. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
3. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
4. What is most shocking to Isaac about the humans that run the Construct Compound?
5. How does the crew manage to weave the dream cable throughout the entire city?
6. What is the mood of the novel as it comes to a close?
7. What plan to kill the slake moths does Isaac concoct with the help of the Constructs?
8. What is the Glasshouse, and why does Isaac go there?
9. Where does Isaac awaken after being kidnapped by the Weaver?
10. How does Shadrack die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Isaac's relationship with Lin is tested, particularly as the two begin to spend more and more time apart. First, describe the struggles Isaac and Lin faced in their relationship throughout the story. Then, describe the state of the couple's relationship at the end of the novel. What do you think life will be like for them in the future? Was it worth the struggle of the fight for the final romantic result? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)