|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise startles Isaac away from Lin?
2. How do the moths feeding on dreams die?
3. What does Isaac clutch in fear after leaving Lin's side?
4. Who unexpectedly offers protection to Jack and Derkhan during the final battle?
5. How does the Weaver feel about his performance against the slake moths?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isaac find when he searches Lin's apartment to warn her about the impeding militia?
2. What is waiting for Isaac in the room that "reeks of rotting flesh"?
3. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
4. What effect are the slake moths having on the people of New Crobuzon?
5. What request does the unexpected guest make of Isaac?
6. Who is Andrej Shelbornek?
7. Why does Isaac visit Canker River?
8. How does Isaac react to the request of his unexpected visitor?
9. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
10. Where does Isaac awaken after being kidnapped by the Weaver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the middle of the novel, the reader learns that Dr. Barbile and Benjamin Flex were working together on a project involving the slake moths for the government. First, describe the details given in the novel regarding this undercover project. Then, while using the consequential actions from the novel, explain what you think the real purpose of Dr. Barbile's experiment was. How did this experiment lead to Benjamin Flex's death? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
New Crobuzan is run completely by Mayor Rudgutter and his militia of armed men. First, describe Mayor Rudgutter as a leader. What qualities does he most value in his subordinates? Then, chose one example from the text in which you believed Rudgutter handled his position well. Then, compare / contrast that to a time when Rudgutter failed in his post. In your opinion, is Rudgutter a good city mayor? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)