|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Isaac's crew does the mother slake moth manage to kill before she dies?
2. What does Derkhan bribe the nurse with in order to purchase Andrej?
3. Who unexpectedly offers protection to Jack and Derkhan during the final battle?
4. Who do the Cactacae police kill in the scuffle following the mother slake moth's death?
5. Whose dreams are NOT used to lure the slake moths to the trap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood of the novel as it comes to a close?
2. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
3. How is the final slake moth killed?
4. Where does Isaac awaken after being kidnapped by the Weaver?
5. What happens at 11:00 p.m. at the Glasshouse?
6. Where do Isaac and Lin head at the end of the novel?
7. How does the crew manage to weave the dream cable throughout the entire city?
8. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
9. How does Isaac treat Lin after the final slake moth attack?
10. What unexpected visitor stops at Isaac's house following the final slake moth attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The events inside the Glasshouse are some of the most action-packed and riveting scenes in the entire novel. First, describe the Glasshouse, its occupants, and the social structure of the mini-city. Then, describe how this social structure is disrupted by the introduction of Isaac and his crew. How did this introduction lead to the death of many of Isaac's friends and many of the slake moths? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
There are many interesting characters in the novel, but perhaps none more interesting than Yagharek. First, describe Yagharek's physicality and explain how he came to look like this. Then, describe the relationship between Yagharek and Isaac - both professionally and personally. Do you think Yagharek deserved to be abandoned by Isaac at the end of the novel? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)