|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where must Lin travel to purchase colorberries?
2. Whom is Ged talking about when he says, "Completely egalitarian and individualistic"?
3. What complaint do Isaac's laboratory partners have about sharing the room with Isaac?
4. What does Lin use colorberries for?
5. What is Benjamin Flex' prison sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What immediate studying does Isaac do to prepare for his work with Yagharke?
2. What is a Cactacae?
3. What does the grub look like when it emerges from its pupa?
4. Who is Yagharek, and what does he want from Isaac?
5. What strange trade does Mayor Rudgutter make with the Weaver in exchange for his services?
6. Who does Isaac blame for the escape of his slake moth?
7. What is Kinken?
8. What has changed about Isaac's construct during the time it was away?
9. Who does the mayor reach out to for help when he hears of the slake moth's attacks?
10. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the middle of the novel, the reader learns that Dr. Barbile and Benjamin Flex were working together on a project involving the slake moths for the government. First, describe the details given in the novel regarding this undercover project. Then, while using the consequential actions from the novel, explain what you think the real purpose of Dr. Barbile's experiment was. How did this experiment lead to Benjamin Flex's death? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)