|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Vodyanoi famous for making?
2. Whom is Ged talking about when he says, "Completely egalitarian and individualistic"?
3. What has David become a spy?
4. What is Benjamin Flex' prison sentence?
5. Which of the following is NOT an adjective used to describe Mayor Rudgutter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
2. What project was Dr. Barbile working on before it was cancelled by the government?
3. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
4. What is a Cactacae?
5. What does the grub look like when it emerges from its pupa?
6. What does Lin look like?
7. What is a mafadet and where does Isaac encounter one?
8. What is Kinken?
9. How do the Garudas react when Isaac comes to visit them in the Sputter?
10. Why does the slake moth attack Lumlamai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
New Crobuzan is run completely by Mayor Rudgutter and his militia of armed men. First, describe Mayor Rudgutter as a leader. What qualities does he most value in his subordinates? Then, chose one example from the text in which you believed Rudgutter handled his position well. Then, compare / contrast that to a time when Rudgutter failed in his post. In your opinion, is Rudgutter a good city mayor? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the opening of the novel, the reader has a very clear impression of Isaac's relationship with Lin. First, describe the relationship between these two characters - why is their relationship unusual? Why is their relationship successful - and then describe how the relationship changes over the course of the novel. In your opinion, in what is the turning point in Isaac's relationship with Lin? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)