|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the prostitution part of town?
2. What is Lin's race?
3. What type of creature does Mr. Motley hire as his body guard?
4. On what city holiday does Vermishank die?
5. What do the Vodyanoi typically cite as their artistic inspiration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
2. What sounds does Isaac wake to in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
3. What immediate studying does Isaac do to prepare for his work with Yagharke?
4. What is Kinken?
5. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
6. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
7. Who is Yagharek, and what does he want from Isaac?
8. What does Vodyanoi sculpt?
9. Why are Lublamaie and David irritated with Isaac at the laboratory?
10. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the final chapter of the novel, Mieville attempts to describe justice in New Crobuzan. First, describe what happened to the "good guys" in the novel and compare / contrast that to what happened to the "bad guys" in the novel. In your opinion, was this a fair, or just, way for the novel to end? Did the end justification seem organic to the story or did it seem forced? Explain. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the maturation process for the larva Isaac kept in his laboratory that eventually became the slake moth. What developmental stages did the larva go through? In your opinion, were there warning signs about the terrible creature the larva would become? If so, when? Finally, who do you think should be held responsible for the slake moth attacks? Why? Be sure to include information from the text to help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)