|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town where Isaac lives?
2. What is Benjamin Flex' prison sentence?
3. What is the name of the communicatrix Dekhan went to visit?
4. What street does Isaac live on?
5. What type of animal is a mafadet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request does the unexpected guest make of Isaac?
2. How do the Garudas react when Isaac comes to visit them in the Sputter?
3. What type of scientist would Isaac say he is?
4. What happens at 11:00 p.m. at the Glasshouse?
5. Upon freeing itself from the laboratory, where does the slake moth head, and how do the townspeople react?
6. How do the three slake moths die in the city center?
7. Why does the slake moth attack Lumlamai?
8. What does Derkhan Blueday find out about Benjamin Flex through the help of an outside source?
9. Why is Vermishank killed?
10. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
Essay Topic 1
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening of the novel, China Mieville immediately sets the parameters for the world of New Crobuzon and the rules of life there. First, describe in detail the setting of New Crobuzan and the rules of society life there. Then explain how this introduction prepared you as a reader to engage with the conflicts of the novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,394 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)