|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room number does David frequent while he's in the prostitution part of town?
2. How many slake moths are imprisoned in the abandoned warehouse?
3. What is interesting about the mafadet's skin?
4. Where is Isaac when his slake moth finally emerges from its cocoon?
5. How does Vermishank die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has changed about Isaac's construct during the time it was away?
2. Who does the mayor reach out to for help when he hears of the slake moth's attacks?
3. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
4. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
5. How do the people of New Crobuzon react when they hear that Isaac is studying flying creatures?
6. What does Lin tell Isaac she must purchase for her in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
7. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
8. How do the Garudas react when Isaac comes to visit them in the Sputter?
9. What is a mafadet and where does Isaac encounter one?
10. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
There are many interesting characters in the novel, but perhaps none more interesting than Yagharek. First, describe Yagharek's physicality and explain how he came to look like this. Then, describe the relationship between Yagharek and Isaac - both professionally and personally. Do you think Yagharek deserved to be abandoned by Isaac at the end of the novel? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the middle of the novel, the reader learns that Dr. Barbile and Benjamin Flex were working together on a project involving the slake moths for the government. First, describe the details given in the novel regarding this undercover project. Then, while using the consequential actions from the novel, explain what you think the real purpose of Dr. Barbile's experiment was. How did this experiment lead to Benjamin Flex's death? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)