|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint do Isaac's laboratory partners have about sharing the room with Isaac?
2. What is the name of the the flying wyrman handyman?
3. Which of the following elements is Isaac using to power Yagharek's new wings?
4. What part of the university does Isaac work for?
5. How does the slake moth kill Dr. Barbile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Isaac and his friends captured by the militia?
2. What does Derkhan Blueday find out about Benjamin Flex through the help of an outside source?
3. Why are Lublamaie and David irritated with Isaac at the laboratory?
4. What does Lin tell Isaac she must purchase for her in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
5. Who is Yagharek, and what does he want from Isaac?
6. What strange trade does Mayor Rudgutter make with the Weaver in exchange for his services?
7. Who does Isaac meet for dinner at the Clock and Cocker, and what do they discuss?
8. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
9. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
10. How do the Garudas react when Isaac comes to visit them in the Sputter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
At first glance, the slake moths seem unstoppably powerful. First, describe the physicality and hunting style of the slake moths. Then, choose two deaths at the hands of the slake moths and describe them in detail. In your opinion, are slake moths more menacing than any other animal in the wild kingdom? Why or why not? Should the slake moths be villainized, or called "evil", because they are following their instincts? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)