|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lin accept Mr. Motley's proposal?
2. Where is Isaac going when he visits, "a moving stew of human and vodyanoi, cactus, khepri and other, rarer, breeds: hotchi and strider and stiltspear and races the names of which Isaac did not know"?
3. What type of bird does Isaac have hanging to a cross in the center of the laboratory?
4. What does Lin do for a living?
5. Who / What does Rudgutter bribe the Weaver to get rid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the crew manage to weave the dream cable throughout the entire city?
2. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
3. What request does the unexpected guest make of Isaac?
4. What sounds does Isaac wake to in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
5. Why does David find himself in Room 17 of Spit Hearth?
6. What is a Cactacae?
7. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
8. What unexpected visitor stops at Isaac's house following the final slake moth attack?
9. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
10. How do the three slake moths die in the city center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the middle of the novel, the reader learns that Dr. Barbile and Benjamin Flex were working together on a project involving the slake moths for the government. First, describe the details given in the novel regarding this undercover project. Then, while using the consequential actions from the novel, explain what you think the real purpose of Dr. Barbile's experiment was. How did this experiment lead to Benjamin Flex's death? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Isaac is obsessed with various aspects of science: biology, chemistry, and physics. Give one example of times when each of these three scientific structures affects Isaac's life and the plot of the novel. In your opinion, which of the three scientific elements is most important to the novel as a whole? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Isaac learns that he cannot trust many of the friends he once held dear to him. Choose two of Isaac's friends or colleagues that he thought he could trust, but turned out to be unable to. What changed in these relationships to destroy the trust between old friends? Given the circumstances, do you think Isaac overreacted to his friends' loss of trust? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,513 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)