Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bar Isaac frequents?
2. Who is NOT part of the posse that attempts to speak with Dr. Barbile about the slake moths?
3. Who sells colorberries?
4. What does Rudgutter give to Weaver as a bribe?
5. On what city holiday does Vermishank die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Isaac awaken after being kidnapped by the Weaver?
2. What is a Cactacae?
3. How does Isaac treat Lin after the final slake moth attack?
4. What unexpected visitor stops at Isaac's house following the final slake moth attack?
5. How do the Cactacae feel about the slake moths hiding out in their buildings?
6. What does Lin tell Isaac she must purchase for her in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
7. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
8. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
9. How do the Cactacae police react when they see Isaac running through their streets?
10. What is a mafadet and where does Isaac encounter one?
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
At first glance, the slake moths seem unstoppably powerful. First, describe the physicality and hunting style of the slake moths. Then, choose two deaths at the hands of the slake moths and describe them in detail. In your opinion, are slake moths more menacing than any other animal in the wild kingdom? Why or why not? Should the slake moths be villainized, or called "evil", because they are following their instincts? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
In the opening of the novel, the reader has a very clear impression of Isaac's relationship with Lin. First, describe the relationship between these two characters - why is their relationship unusual? Why is their relationship successful - and then describe how the relationship changes over the course of the novel. In your opinion, in what is the turning point in Isaac's relationship with Lin? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)