|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the slake moth's claws?
2. Why was Benjamin Flex arrested?
3. What does Isaac fuss about most when he wakes up in the morning?
4. What are Vodyanoi famous for making?
5. How does Lin communicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has changed about Isaac's construct during the time it was away?
2. What does Lin look like?
3. Why does the slake moth attack Lumlamai?
4. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
5. What project was Dr. Barbile working on before it was cancelled by the government?
6. What sounds does Isaac wake to in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
7. How are Isaac and his friends captured by the militia?
8. What does Lin tell Isaac she must purchase for her in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
9. What does Derkhan Blueday find out about Benjamin Flex through the help of an outside source?
10. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the final chapter of the novel, Mieville attempts to describe justice in New Crobuzan. First, describe what happened to the "good guys" in the novel and compare / contrast that to what happened to the "bad guys" in the novel. In your opinion, was this a fair, or just, way for the novel to end? Did the end justification seem organic to the story or did it seem forced? Explain. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)