|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Vodyanoi famous for making?
2. What type of animal is the Weaver?
3. What does Rudgutter give to Weaver as a bribe?
4. What is wrong with Yagharek's wings?
5. What street does Isaac live on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Lublamaie and David irritated with Isaac at the laboratory?
2. What is a Cactacae?
3. Why does David find himself in Room 17 of Spit Hearth?
4. What does Vodyanoi sculpt?
5. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
6. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
7. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
8. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
9. Who is Yagharek, and what does he want from Isaac?
10. How do the people of New Crobuzon react when they hear that Isaac is studying flying creatures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the maturation process for the larva Isaac kept in his laboratory that eventually became the slake moth. What developmental stages did the larva go through? In your opinion, were there warning signs about the terrible creature the larva would become? If so, when? Finally, who do you think should be held responsible for the slake moth attacks? Why? Be sure to include information from the text to help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening of the novel, China Mieville immediately sets the parameters for the world of New Crobuzon and the rules of life there. First, describe in detail the setting of New Crobuzan and the rules of society life there. Then explain how this introduction prepared you as a reader to engage with the conflicts of the novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)