|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the university does Isaac work for?
2. How are Isaac and Lin related?
3. What does Isaac accidentally explode in his crisis engine?
4. What are Yagharek's wings made of?
5. Where does Isaac keep the large larvae in his laboratory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Vermishank killed?
2. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
3. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
4. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
5. How are Isaac and his friends captured by the militia?
6. Who does the mayor reach out to for help when he hears of the slake moth's attacks?
7. What does Lin tell Isaac she must purchase for her in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
8. Who does Isaac meet for dinner at the Clock and Cocker, and what do they discuss?
9. What is a Cactacae?
10. What is a mafadet and where does Isaac encounter one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps the eeriest place Isaac visits in the entire novel is the construct council. First, describe the setting of the construct council and the way society is structured there. Then, explain why Isaac finds himself at the construct council and what requests he makes of the council while he is there. Finally, explain why Isaac chooses to trust the council when he has turned his back on so many others along the way. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Vodyanoi are famous in New Crobuzan for making a particular type of artwork. First, describe the type of artwork made by the Vodyanoi, and then explain why only the Vadyanoi are physically equipped to make this type of artwork. Then, describe the piece of artwork that Isaac buys from the Vodyanoi at the opening of the novel. How does this piece of artwork affect his scientific journey for the rest of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many characters believe that the slake moths cannot be killed, yet by the end of the novel, all four moths are dead. First, explain why many believed the slake moths couldn't be killed. Then, describe, in detail, how each of the four slake moths were killed, and how their killers overcame the superpowers of the moths to defeat them. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)