|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal is a mafadet?
2. Who owns the bar Isaac frequents?
3. During what season of the year do the slake moths hatch?
4. Which of the following activities is taking place outside of Isaac's window at the opening of the novel?
5. Why was Benjamin Flex arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
2. What does Lin look like?
3. What does the grub look like when it emerges from its pupa?
4. What strange trade does Mayor Rudgutter make with the Weaver in exchange for his services?
5. How do the people of New Crobuzon react when they hear that Isaac is studying flying creatures?
6. How do the Garudas react when Isaac comes to visit them in the Sputter?
7. Why is Vermishank killed?
8. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
9. Why does David find himself in Room 17 of Spit Hearth?
10. Why does the slake moth attack Lumlamai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the final chapter of the novel, Mieville attempts to describe justice in New Crobuzan. First, describe what happened to the "good guys" in the novel and compare / contrast that to what happened to the "bad guys" in the novel. In your opinion, was this a fair, or just, way for the novel to end? Did the end justification seem organic to the story or did it seem forced? Explain. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
New Crobuzan is run completely by Mayor Rudgutter and his militia of armed men. First, describe Mayor Rudgutter as a leader. What qualities does he most value in his subordinates? Then, chose one example from the text in which you believed Rudgutter handled his position well. Then, compare / contrast that to a time when Rudgutter failed in his post. In your opinion, is Rudgutter a good city mayor? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Isaac learns that he cannot trust many of the friends he once held dear to him. Choose two of Isaac's friends or colleagues that he thought he could trust, but turned out to be unable to. What changed in these relationships to destroy the trust between old friends? Given the circumstances, do you think Isaac overreacted to his friends' loss of trust? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)