|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rudgutter give to Weaver as a bribe?
2. Who owns the bar Isaac frequents?
3. When were Yagharek's wings damaged?
4. What part of the university does Isaac work for?
5. What type of energy does Yagharek wish Isaac to use when working on his new wings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
2. Upon freeing itself from the laboratory, where does the slake moth head, and how do the townspeople react?
3. What is Kinken?
4. What does Vodyanoi sculpt?
5. How do the Garudas react when Isaac comes to visit them in the Sputter?
6. What is a Cactacae?
7. What has changed about Isaac's construct during the time it was away?
8. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
9. Why are Lublamaie and David irritated with Isaac at the laboratory?
10. Who does Isaac meet for dinner at the Clock and Cocker, and what do they discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At first glance, the slake moths seem unstoppably powerful. First, describe the physicality and hunting style of the slake moths. Then, choose two deaths at the hands of the slake moths and describe them in detail. In your opinion, are slake moths more menacing than any other animal in the wild kingdom? Why or why not? Should the slake moths be villainized, or called "evil", because they are following their instincts? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Isaac's relationship with Lin is tested, particularly as the two begin to spend more and more time apart. First, describe the struggles Isaac and Lin faced in their relationship throughout the story. Then, describe the state of the couple's relationship at the end of the novel. What do you think life will be like for them in the future? Was it worth the struggle of the fight for the final romantic result? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many characters believe that the slake moths cannot be killed, yet by the end of the novel, all four moths are dead. First, explain why many believed the slake moths couldn't be killed. Then, describe, in detail, how each of the four slake moths were killed, and how their killers overcame the superpowers of the moths to defeat them. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)