|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Vodyanoi famous for making?
2. Which type of energy is Isaac most interested in?
3. What type of animal is a mafadet?
4. What does Mr. Motley have multiples of?
5. What is Lin's race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a mafadet and where does Isaac encounter one?
2. Who does Isaac meet for dinner at the Clock and Cocker, and what do they discuss?
3. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
4. Why is Vermishank killed?
5. What strange trade does Mayor Rudgutter make with the Weaver in exchange for his services?
6. Who does Isaac blame for the escape of his slake moth?
7. How are Isaac and his friends captured by the militia?
8. What has changed about Isaac's construct during the time it was away?
9. What does Derkhan Blueday find out about Benjamin Flex through the help of an outside source?
10. Why does David find himself in Room 17 of Spit Hearth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Isaac learns that he cannot trust many of the friends he once held dear to him. Choose two of Isaac's friends or colleagues that he thought he could trust, but turned out to be unable to. What changed in these relationships to destroy the trust between old friends? Given the circumstances, do you think Isaac overreacted to his friends' loss of trust? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
There are many interesting characters in the novel, but perhaps none more interesting than Yagharek. First, describe Yagharek's physicality and explain how he came to look like this. Then, describe the relationship between Yagharek and Isaac - both professionally and personally. Do you think Yagharek deserved to be abandoned by Isaac at the end of the novel? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)