|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lin do for a living?
2. What is a Garuda?
3. What does Rudgutter give to Weaver as a bribe?
4. What devastating event happened in the year 1545?
5. How does Yagharek pay Isaac for his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the mayor reach out to for help when he hears of the slake moth's attacks?
2. Why does the slake moth attack Lumlamai?
3. Upon freeing itself from the laboratory, where does the slake moth head, and how do the townspeople react?
4. Why are Lublamaie and David irritated with Isaac at the laboratory?
5. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
6. How are Isaac and his friends captured by the militia?
7. What does Lin tell Isaac she must purchase for her in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
8. What does the grub look like when it emerges from its pupa?
9. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
10. What immediate studying does Isaac do to prepare for his work with Yagharke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Vodyanoi are famous in New Crobuzan for making a particular type of artwork. First, describe the type of artwork made by the Vodyanoi, and then explain why only the Vadyanoi are physically equipped to make this type of artwork. Then, describe the piece of artwork that Isaac buys from the Vodyanoi at the opening of the novel. How does this piece of artwork affect his scientific journey for the rest of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening of the novel, China Mieville immediately sets the parameters for the world of New Crobuzon and the rules of life there. First, describe in detail the setting of New Crobuzan and the rules of society life there. Then explain how this introduction prepared you as a reader to engage with the conflicts of the novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)