|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are the Weaver's legs?
2. How does Isaac feel when he exits the Remade Garuda cage?
3. What type of animal is a mafadet?
4. Where does Isaac go to research for Yagharek's project?
5. Which of the following is NOT an adjective used to describe Mayor Rudgutter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange trade does Mayor Rudgutter make with the Weaver in exchange for his services?
2. What immediate studying does Isaac do to prepare for his work with Yagharke?
3. What sounds does Isaac wake to in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
4. How are Isaac and his friends captured by the militia?
5. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
6. How do the Garudas react when Isaac comes to visit them in the Sputter?
7. Who does the mayor reach out to for help when he hears of the slake moth's attacks?
8. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
9. Why does the slake moth attack Lumlamai?
10. What is Kinken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Isaac's relationship with Lin is tested, particularly as the two begin to spend more and more time apart. First, describe the struggles Isaac and Lin faced in their relationship throughout the story. Then, describe the state of the couple's relationship at the end of the novel. What do you think life will be like for them in the future? Was it worth the struggle of the fight for the final romantic result? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the opening of the novel, the reader has a very clear impression of Isaac's relationship with Lin. First, describe the relationship between these two characters - why is their relationship unusual? Why is their relationship successful - and then describe how the relationship changes over the course of the novel. In your opinion, in what is the turning point in Isaac's relationship with Lin? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Vodyanoi are famous in New Crobuzan for making a particular type of artwork. First, describe the type of artwork made by the Vodyanoi, and then explain why only the Vadyanoi are physically equipped to make this type of artwork. Then, describe the piece of artwork that Isaac buys from the Vodyanoi at the opening of the novel. How does this piece of artwork affect his scientific journey for the rest of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)