|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage does Isaac typically drink on his way to work?
2. What is interesting about the mafadet's skin?
3. Where must Lin travel to purchase colorberries?
4. Which of the following activities is taking place outside of Isaac's window at the opening of the novel?
5. Why does Lin accept Mr. Motley's proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
2. What is a mafadet and where does Isaac encounter one?
3. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
4. Why is Vermishank killed?
5. What strange trade does Mayor Rudgutter make with the Weaver in exchange for his services?
6. What does Lin tell Isaac she must purchase for her in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
7. What sounds does Isaac wake to in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
8. What is a Cactacae?
9. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
10. Upon freeing itself from the laboratory, where does the slake moth head, and how do the townspeople react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)