|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Isaac when his slake moth finally emerges from its cocoon?
2. What type of insect does Isaac find in his bed when he wakes up in the morning?
3. What does Lin use colorberries for?
4. What is interesting about the slake moth's tongue?
5. Which type of energy is Isaac most interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Isaac and his friends captured by the militia?
2. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
3. What project was Dr. Barbile working on before it was cancelled by the government?
4. Why does the slake moth attack Lumlamai?
5. What does the grub look like when it emerges from its pupa?
6. What does Vodyanoi sculpt?
7. Why does David find himself in Room 17 of Spit Hearth?
8. What is Kinken?
9. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
10. Who does Isaac meet for dinner at the Clock and Cocker, and what do they discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
New Crobuzan is run completely by Mayor Rudgutter and his militia of armed men. First, describe Mayor Rudgutter as a leader. What qualities does he most value in his subordinates? Then, chose one example from the text in which you believed Rudgutter handled his position well. Then, compare / contrast that to a time when Rudgutter failed in his post. In your opinion, is Rudgutter a good city mayor? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)