|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a construct?
2. What complaint do Isaac's laboratory partners have about sharing the room with Isaac?
3. Where have the wings from the Remade Garuda come from?
4. What do Isaac and Yagharek believe the larva will become when it emerges from its chrysalis?
5. What is the name of the the flying wyrman handyman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
2. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
3. What does Derkhan Blueday find out about Benjamin Flex through the help of an outside source?
4. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
5. What type of scientist would Isaac say he is?
6. Who is Mr. Motley?
7. Upon freeing itself from the laboratory, where does the slake moth head, and how do the townspeople react?
8. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
9. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
10. What is a Cactacae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps the eeriest place Isaac visits in the entire novel is the construct council. First, describe the setting of the construct council and the way society is structured there. Then, explain why Isaac finds himself at the construct council and what requests he makes of the council while he is there. Finally, explain why Isaac chooses to trust the council when he has turned his back on so many others along the way. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)