|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yagharek pay Isaac for his work?
2. What type of creature does Mr. Motley hire as his body guard?
3. What is interesting about the mafadet's skin?
4. What room number does David frequent while he's in the prostitution part of town?
5. Who sells colorberries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the mayor reach out to for help when he hears of the slake moth's attacks?
2. What does Lin look like?
3. What does the grub look like when it emerges from its pupa?
4. Why are Lublamaie and David irritated with Isaac at the laboratory?
5. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
6. How are Isaac and his friends captured by the militia?
7. Who is Yagharek, and what does he want from Isaac?
8. What type of scientist would Isaac say he is?
9. What is a Cactacae?
10. What has changed about Isaac's construct during the time it was away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Isaac learns that he cannot trust many of the friends he once held dear to him. Choose two of Isaac's friends or colleagues that he thought he could trust, but turned out to be unable to. What changed in these relationships to destroy the trust between old friends? Given the circumstances, do you think Isaac overreacted to his friends' loss of trust? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Perhaps the eeriest place Isaac visits in the entire novel is the construct council. First, describe the setting of the construct council and the way society is structured there. Then, explain why Isaac finds himself at the construct council and what requests he makes of the council while he is there. Finally, explain why Isaac chooses to trust the council when he has turned his back on so many others along the way. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Isaac is obsessed with various aspects of science: biology, chemistry, and physics. Give one example of times when each of these three scientific structures affects Isaac's life and the plot of the novel. In your opinion, which of the three scientific elements is most important to the novel as a whole? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)