|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of insect does Isaac find in his bed when he wakes up in the morning?
2. What complaint do Isaac's laboratory partners have about sharing the room with Isaac?
3. What is a construct?
4. What type of energy does Yagharek wish Isaac to use when working on his new wings?
5. What condition does Lin fear Mr. Motley has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has changed about Isaac's construct during the time it was away?
2. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
3. What is a Cactacae?
4. What immediate studying does Isaac do to prepare for his work with Yagharke?
5. What does the grub look like when it emerges from its pupa?
6. Why are Lublamaie and David irritated with Isaac at the laboratory?
7. What is a mafadet and where does Isaac encounter one?
8. Who is Yagharek, and what does he want from Isaac?
9. Why does Isaac suddenly set all his winged laboratory creatures free?
10. What project was Dr. Barbile working on before it was cancelled by the government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Andrej Shelbornek play in Isaac's plan to defeat the slake moths? First, describe Andrej Shelbornek and how he came to be apart of Isaac's gang. Then, describe his role in the plan to overtake the slake moths. What message do you think Mieville is sending to the audience about current society through her inclusion of Andrej's character? Do you think Andrej's death is justifiable? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the maturation process for the larva Isaac kept in his laboratory that eventually became the slake moth. What developmental stages did the larva go through? In your opinion, were there warning signs about the terrible creature the larva would become? If so, when? Finally, who do you think should be held responsible for the slake moth attacks? Why? Be sure to include information from the text to help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The Vodyanoi are famous in New Crobuzan for making a particular type of artwork. First, describe the type of artwork made by the Vodyanoi, and then explain why only the Vadyanoi are physically equipped to make this type of artwork. Then, describe the piece of artwork that Isaac buys from the Vodyanoi at the opening of the novel. How does this piece of artwork affect his scientific journey for the rest of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)