|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week does Lin celebrate her new commission from Mr. Motley?
2. Which of the following activities is taking place outside of Isaac's window at the opening of the novel?
3. On what city holiday does Vermishank die?
4. Which class system does Derkhan and her family fit into?
5. What type of energy does Yagharek wish Isaac to use when working on his new wings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ged and how does he feel about Isaac's new project?
2. Who does the mayor reach out to for help when he hears of the slake moth's attacks?
3. Who does Isaac meet for dinner at the Clock and Cocker, and what do they discuss?
4. How does the crew manage to weave the dream cable throughout the entire city?
5. What does Derkhan purchase from the local hospital?
6. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
7. Why doesn't Lemuel want to continue Isaac's search for Lin?
8. How do the people of New Crobuzon react when they hear that Isaac is studying flying creatures?
9. How does Isaac react to the request of his unexpected visitor?
10. What does Vodyanoi sculpt?
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Isaac is obsessed with various aspects of science: biology, chemistry, and physics. Give one example of times when each of these three scientific structures affects Isaac's life and the plot of the novel. In your opinion, which of the three scientific elements is most important to the novel as a whole? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening of the novel, China Mieville immediately sets the parameters for the world of New Crobuzon and the rules of life there. First, describe in detail the setting of New Crobuzan and the rules of society life there. Then explain how this introduction prepared you as a reader to engage with the conflicts of the novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,456 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)