|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who / What does Rudgutter bribe the Weaver to get rid of?
2. What beverage does Isaac typically drink on his way to work?
3. How many slake moths are imprisoned in the abandoned warehouse?
4. What is the name of the town where Isaac lives?
5. What does Ged do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Cactacae?
2. Upon freeing itself from the laboratory, where does the slake moth head, and how do the townspeople react?
3. What sounds does Isaac wake to in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
4. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
5. How are Isaac and his friends captured by the militia?
6. Why does the slake moth attack Lumlamai?
7. What type of scientist would Isaac say he is?
8. Why are Lublamaie and David irritated with Isaac at the laboratory?
9. How does Isaac feel about seeing the garuda at the circus?
10. Who does Isaac blame for the escape of his slake moth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Weaver is an interesting character with an interesting personal progression through the novel. First, describe the Weaver's personality at the opening of the novel, and how he became involved in the plot against the slake moths. Then, describe the Weaver's sudden character shift. What event caused this shift in motivation? Do you think it was genuine? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
There are many interesting characters in the novel, but perhaps none more interesting than Yagharek. First, describe Yagharek's physicality and explain how he came to look like this. Then, describe the relationship between Yagharek and Isaac - both professionally and personally. Do you think Yagharek deserved to be abandoned by Isaac at the end of the novel? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Vodyanoi are famous in New Crobuzan for making a particular type of artwork. First, describe the type of artwork made by the Vodyanoi, and then explain why only the Vadyanoi are physically equipped to make this type of artwork. Then, describe the piece of artwork that Isaac buys from the Vodyanoi at the opening of the novel. How does this piece of artwork affect his scientific journey for the rest of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)