|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Vodyanoi typically cite as their artistic inspiration?
2. What is the name of the prostitution part of town?
3. What does Isaac do for a living?
4. What part of the university does Isaac work for?
5. What type of bird does Isaac have hanging to a cross in the center of the laboratory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Isaac blame for the escape of his slake moth?
2. What are the details of Dr. Barbile's death?
3. What type of scientist would Isaac say he is?
4. What strange trade does Mayor Rudgutter make with the Weaver in exchange for his services?
5. What immediate studying does Isaac do to prepare for his work with Yagharke?
6. Who is Mr. Motley?
7. What is a mafadet and where does Isaac encounter one?
8. What has changed about Isaac's construct during the time it was away?
9. What project was Dr. Barbile working on before it was cancelled by the government?
10. Upon freeing itself from the laboratory, where does the slake moth head, and how do the townspeople react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Vodyanoi are famous in New Crobuzan for making a particular type of artwork. First, describe the type of artwork made by the Vodyanoi, and then explain why only the Vadyanoi are physically equipped to make this type of artwork. Then, describe the piece of artwork that Isaac buys from the Vodyanoi at the opening of the novel. How does this piece of artwork affect his scientific journey for the rest of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Dreamshit is a very important drug to many people in the novel, including Mr. Motley. First, describe what dreamshit is, how it is collected, and what its effect is on the human mind. Then, describe Mr. Motley's relationship with dreamshit and explain how this relationship affects his views of Isaac. Do you think Mr. Motley arranged his artistic meetings with Lin simply to get close to Isaac and the dreamshit? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)