|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Vodyanoi typically cite as their artistic inspiration?
2. What beverage does Isaac typically drink on his way to work?
3. What is a Garuda?
4. Where is Isaac going when he visits, "a moving stew of human and vodyanoi, cactus, khepri and other, rarer, breeds: hotchi and strider and stiltspear and races the names of which Isaac did not know"?
5. What is the one topic Mr. Motley always wants to discuss when he is sitting for Lin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Lublamaie and David irritated with Isaac at the laboratory?
2. What immediate studying does Isaac do to prepare for his work with Yagharke?
3. Upon freeing itself from the laboratory, where does the slake moth head, and how do the townspeople react?
4. What sounds does Isaac wake to in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
5. What is a mafadet and where does Isaac encounter one?
6. What strange trade does Mayor Rudgutter make with the Weaver in exchange for his services?
7. How do the Garudas react when Isaac comes to visit them in the Sputter?
8. What disagreement do Issac and Yagharek have about the power source that will be used to propel his flight?
9. What does Lin tell Isaac she must purchase for her in the morning of the novel's first chapter?
10. What does Derkhan Blueday find out about Benjamin Flex through the help of an outside source?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Lin's art is clearly the most important element in her life. First, describe Lin's art and her artistic process. How are her paintings produced? Then explain how Lin's art causes conflict in her personal life and in her relationship. At the end of the day, would Lin argue that her art is worth the trouble? Do you think Lin will continue her art in her new life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the opening of the novel, China Mieville immediately sets the parameters for the world of New Crobuzon and the rules of life there. First, describe in detail the setting of New Crobuzan and the rules of society life there. Then explain how this introduction prepared you as a reader to engage with the conflicts of the novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Soon after he accepts his new project with Yagharek, Isaac visits the Weird Circus, a place that has an extreme emotional impact on him. First, choose two disturbing images that Isaac saw at the Weird Circus and explain why they affected him so deeply. Then, explain how creatures ended up at the Weird Circus rather than one of the many other homes for castaways in society. Overall, do you think New Crobuzan deals with their people in a respectful way? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)