|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comprises the first part of the Talmud?
2. When was Hanna's father born?
3. Who is Hanna's friend that offers her a cottage in Hampstead in "Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
4. What does Hanna learn when she finally reaches Ozren's apartment on the phone in "Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
5. When he presents the Sarajevo Haggadah to Giovanni, Judah Aryeh claims he obtained the book by what means?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hanna visit the Tate Museum in “Hanna: London, Spring 1996"? What reaction does she have there?
2. Why is Reuben Ben Shoushan arrested? What does he confess to?
3. What has caused Hanna's mother to become hospitalized in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"? Where does Hanna go to see her?
4. What problem does Father Vistorini find with the illustrations in the Sarajevo Haggadah?
5. How does Rosa manage to escape arrest in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
6. What is the relationship like between David and Joseph Ben Shoushan in the novel?
7. What weakness does Judah Aryeh demonstrate in “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”? What are the repercussions of this weakness?
8. What is Ruti's relationship with Kabbalah? Why is this scandalous?
9. What does the Latin citation that opens “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609” translate to in English? What is indicated by this citation?
10. What information does Frau Zweig relate to Hanna in “Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Zahra in the novel. When did Zahra become a slave? Who are the different owners of Zahra? How are they described? What inspires Zahra to create the Sarajevo Haggadah?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of conservation versus restoration in People of the Book. How does Hanna demonstrate this theme in her work on the Sarajevo Haggadah? How is the theme explored through the timelines in the past? How does Hanna's job in 2002 relate to this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Hanna as the protagonist of People of the Book. How would you describe Hanna's character arc? In what ways does Hanna's character evolve in the novel? What is the main objective that Hanna sets out to accomplish? Does she accomplish this objective? Why or why not?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)