|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bookbinder that Ruti becomes involved with?
2. What Australian artist does Hanna complain about not being on display at the museum in the beginning of "Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
3. What word in the novel refers to a special type of Jewish prenuptial agreement that is part of the traditional Jewish marriage?
4. How many commandments comprise the Talmud?
5. What was the name of the woman who was driving the car with Hanna's mother in it when she crashed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What weakness does Judah Aryeh demonstrate in “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”? What are the repercussions of this weakness?
2. Who is Judah Aryeh? What is his relationship with Father Vistorini?
3. What does Reyna de Serena ask of Judah Aryeh in exchange for funds for the Jews in “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”?
4. What is the relationship like between David and Joseph Ben Shoushan in the novel?
5. What are the repercussions of Reuben Ben Shoushan's confession?
6. How does Rosa manage to escape arrest in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
7. Why does Hanna visit the Tate Museum in “Hanna: London, Spring 1996"? What reaction does she have there?
8. What information does Hanna learn about her father in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"?
9. What is Ruti's relationship with Kabbalah? Why is this scandalous?
10. What has caused Hanna's mother to become hospitalized in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"? Where does Hanna go to see her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of Australia in People of the Book. How does Hanna's perception of her home country evolve in the course of the novel? What inspires this change in perception? How does Australia differ from the other settings in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Hanna's mother in People of the Book. How would you describe Hanna's relationship with her mother? How are Hanna and her mother alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of religion in People of the Book. What different world religions are explored in Hanna's search for the history of the Sarajevo Haggadah? How are these religions depicted? How would you describe the relationships between these religions and their adherents historically?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)