|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hanna's father a professor of Russian language and literature in the U.S.?
2. What are Hanna and Ozren doing in her dream in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"?
3. How old is Zahra when she is taken into slavery?
4. What was the name of the woman who was driving the car with Hanna's mother in it when she crashed?
5. From what animal is the hair that was found on the Sarajevo Haggadah, according to the analyst?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Frau Zweig relate to Hanna in “Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
2. How is the birth of Rosa's baby described in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
3. What is Ruti's relationship with Kabbalah? Why is this scandalous?
4. How does Rosa manage to escape arrest in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
5. What are the repercussions of Reuben Ben Shoushan's confession?
6. What has led to the conflicts that David Ben Shoushan faces in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
7. What is the relationship like between David and Joseph Ben Shoushan in the novel?
8. What information does Hanna learn about her father in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"?
9. Why is Reuben Ben Shoushan arrested? What does he confess to?
10. What weakness does Judah Aryeh demonstrate in “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”? What are the repercussions of this weakness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the language style of People of the Book. How does the author distinguish between the language styles of different characters and time periods? How does the dialogue in the narrative inform the reader about the different characters? What are some examples of literary devices used in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of conservation versus restoration in People of the Book. How does Hanna demonstrate this theme in her work on the Sarajevo Haggadah? How is the theme explored through the timelines in the past? How does Hanna's job in 2002 relate to this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Australia in People of the Book. How does Hanna's perception of her home country evolve in the course of the novel? What inspires this change in perception? How does Australia differ from the other settings in the novel?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)