|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image appears on the clasp to the Sarajevo Haggadah?
2. Where was Hanna's father a professor of Russian language and literature in the U.S.?
3. What Jewish sin is considered Judah Aryeh's greatest weakness in the novel?
4. From whom does Reyna de Serena say she obtained the Sarajevo Haggadah?
5. What was the name of Hanna's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Hanna learn about her father in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"?
2. How does Rosa manage to escape arrest in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
3. How is the birth of Rosa's baby described in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
4. Who is Judah Aryeh? What is his relationship with Father Vistorini?
5. What problem does Father Vistorini find with the illustrations in the Sarajevo Haggadah?
6. What is unique about the hair that has been analyzed from the Sarajevo Haggadah?
7. Why is Reuben Ben Shoushan arrested? What does he confess to?
8. What does the Latin citation that opens “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609” translate to in English? What is indicated by this citation?
9. What does Reyna de Serena ask of Judah Aryeh in exchange for funds for the Jews in “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”?
10. Why does Hanna visit the Tate Museum in “Hanna: London, Spring 1996"? What reaction does she have there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of books as explored thematically in People of the Book. How does Hanna perceive books differently than others? How does the author explore this theme through setting? character, symbolism, and imagery? What has this novel taught you about the meaning of books?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of conservation versus restoration in People of the Book. How does Hanna demonstrate this theme in her work on the Sarajevo Haggadah? How is the theme explored through the timelines in the past? How does Hanna's job in 2002 relate to this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Who does Hanna discover her father to be in the course of the novel? How does Hanna respond to this discovery? In what ways are Hanna's discoveries about her father similar to those about the Haggadah? What symbolism surrounds Hanna's father?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)