|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what color is David's body clad in for burial in "Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492"?
2. What is the name of David Ben Shoushan's wife?
3. What word in the novel refers to a special type of Jewish prenuptial agreement that is part of the traditional Jewish marriage?
4. Micha tells the soldier that comes looking for Ruti that she left his shop with a soldier from where in "Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492"?
5. By what nickname does Ruti's father call her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the birth of Rosa's baby described in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
2. What does the Latin citation that opens “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609” translate to in English? What is indicated by this citation?
3. What has caused Hanna's mother to become hospitalized in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"? Where does Hanna go to see her?
4. How does the narrative style transition from “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996” to “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”? Why?
5. What problem does Father Vistorini find with the illustrations in the Sarajevo Haggadah?
6. What is Ruti's relationship with Kabbalah? Why is this scandalous?
7. How is Ruti's relationship with Micha described in the narrative?
8. What does Reyna de Serena ask of Judah Aryeh in exchange for funds for the Jews in “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”?
9. What information does Hanna learn about her father in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"?
10. What is unique about the hair that has been analyzed from the Sarajevo Haggadah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of books as explored thematically in People of the Book. How does Hanna perceive books differently than others? How does the author explore this theme through setting? character, symbolism, and imagery? What has this novel taught you about the meaning of books?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Lola in People of the Book. During what two time periods is Lola's character presented? From what point-of-view are Lola's narratives related? What is Lola's connection to the Sarajevo Haggadah?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the language style of People of the Book. How does the author distinguish between the language styles of different characters and time periods? How does the dialogue in the narrative inform the reader about the different characters? What are some examples of literary devices used in the novel?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)