|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the report analyzing the Sarajevo Haggadah and describing the binding, that Hanna reads in the archives in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
2. Where did Hanna earn her PhD?
3. How old is Hanna in 1996?
4. What was the name of Karaman's wife?
5. What does Hanna describe as the source of the yellow pigment in the illustrations of the Sarajevo Haggadah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrative style established in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996.” From whose perspective is this chapter related? Why?
2. Who is Werner Heinrich and what is his relationship to Hanna?
3. What is the Sarajevo Haggadah? When and where was it created? Why is it valued?
4. What notations does Hanna make during her inspection of the Sarajevo Haggadah? What samples does she take?
5. How is the setting of Vienna described in Part V of “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”? Why does Hanna go there?
6. How would you describe the relationship between Hanna and her mother?
7. Why has Hanna come to Sarajevo in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”? Who accompanies her? What is Hanna's objective in this chapter?
8. How is life in the Kabal family home described in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940”?
9. Who is Frau Zweig and how is her character introduced in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996"?
10. How is the setting of Sarajevo described in 1996 in the novel? How is Bosnia's recent history described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the history of Sarajevo and discuss the setting of Sarajevo in the novel. During what time periods does the author present the city of Sarajevo? How does each depiction differ? How has Sarajevo's history informed its contemporary state?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Hanna's mother in People of the Book. How would you describe Hanna's relationship with her mother? How are Hanna and her mother alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Sarajevo Haggadah. What is this manuscript? When was it discovered? When was it created? How does People of the Book illuminate the real-life history of the Haggadah?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)