|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Serif's last name in the novel?
2. In what area did Hanna earn her PhD?
3. Where did Hanna earn her PhD?
4. What is the name of Lola's little sister?
5. What does Hanna order for dinner when she goes out with Karaman in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting of Vienna described in Part V of “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”? Why does Hanna go there?
2. Who is Werner Heinrich and what is his relationship to Hanna?
3. Who is Isak and what is his relationship to Lola? What happens to Isak?
4. Where does Lola go in Sarajevo when she returns in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940”? Who does she meet there and how does this character help Lola?
5. Who is Razmus Kanaha? How does Hanna know this character?
6. How would you describe the relationship between Hanna and Dr. Karaman in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”?
7. Why has Hanna come to Sarajevo in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”? Who accompanies her? What is Hanna's objective in this chapter?
8. How does the narrative style of the novel change in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"? Why do you think the author makes this change?
9. Who is Lola and how is her character introduced in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
10. What causes Hanna the guilt that she feels regarding Ozren in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Sarajevo Haggadah. What is this manuscript? When was it discovered? When was it created? How does People of the Book illuminate the real-life history of the Haggadah?
Essay Topic 2
Who does Hanna discover her father to be in the course of the novel? How does Hanna respond to this discovery? In what ways are Hanna's discoveries about her father similar to those about the Haggadah? What symbolism surrounds Hanna's father?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative style of People of the Book. From what perspectives is the story related? Why do you think the author has chosen to use a different narrative style in different chapters? What does this say thematically about the characters in the novel?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)