|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Amalie Sutter's profession?
2. What organization has Lola just attended a meeting of in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
3. When did the Sarajevo seige begin in the Bosnian War?
4. Where was the Sarajevo Haggadah created?
5. What is the name of Karaman's child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Hanna the guilt that she feels regarding Ozren in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996"?
2. What information does Frau Zweig relate about Mittl in "Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996"?
3. What actions does Serif Kabal take to save the Sarajevo Haggadah?
4. What theory does Dr. Heinrich present regarding the binding on the Sarajevo Haggadah?
5. Describe Hanna's character in the novel. How old is Hanna? What is her focus of expertise?
6. Describe the narrative style established in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996.” From whose perspective is this chapter related? Why?
7. How is the setting of Vienna described in Part V of “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”? Why does Hanna go there?
8. How would you describe the relationship between Hanna and her mother?
9. What notations does Hanna make during her inspection of the Sarajevo Haggadah? What samples does she take?
10. How is the setting of Sarajevo described in 1996 in the novel? How is Bosnia's recent history described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of People of the Book. From what perspectives is the story related? Why do you think the author has chosen to use a different narrative style in different chapters? What does this say thematically about the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Hanna as the protagonist of People of the Book. How would you describe Hanna's character arc? In what ways does Hanna's character evolve in the novel? What is the main objective that Hanna sets out to accomplish? Does she accomplish this objective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Ozren Karaman in People of the Book. How was Ozren responsible for saving the Haggadah during the Bosnian War? What relationship does Ozren form with Hanna? How does this relationship evolve?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)