|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hanna go to first see the Sarajevo Haggadah in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”?
2. In what area did Hanna earn her PhD?
3. Who is the head of the museum library that is said to have saved the Sarajevo Haggadah during the Bosnian War in the novel?
4. How are the book clasps to the Sarajevo Haggadah described in the report that Hanna reads in the archives in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
5. Where did Hanna earn her PhD?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the relationship between Hanna and Dr. Karaman in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”?
2. What is the Sarajevo Haggadah? When and where was it created? Why is it valued?
3. Why has Hanna come to Sarajevo in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”? Who accompanies her? What is Hanna's objective in this chapter?
4. Who are Serif and Stela Kamal and how does Lola know them?
5. What theory does Dr. Heinrich present regarding the binding on the Sarajevo Haggadah?
6. Who is Isak and what is his relationship to Lola? What happens to Isak?
7. Describe the narrative style established in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996.” From whose perspective is this chapter related? Why?
8. What notations does Hanna make during her inspection of the Sarajevo Haggadah? What samples does she take?
9. Who is Werner Heinrich and what is his relationship to Hanna?
10. How would you describe the relationship between Hanna and her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the language style of People of the Book. How does the author distinguish between the language styles of different characters and time periods? How does the dialogue in the narrative inform the reader about the different characters? What are some examples of literary devices used in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the history of Sarajevo and discuss the setting of Sarajevo in the novel. During what time periods does the author present the city of Sarajevo? How does each depiction differ? How has Sarajevo's history informed its contemporary state?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Ozren Karaman in People of the Book. How was Ozren responsible for saving the Haggadah during the Bosnian War? What relationship does Ozren form with Hanna? How does this relationship evolve?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)