|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lola pretend to be in order to stay with Serif and Stela?
2. In what subject did Hanna earn her master's degree?
3. Who is the chief archivist at the Historisches Museum der Stadt Wien?
4. Whose mathematical text is taken out and presented to General Faber at the museum in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
5. What is the focus of the report by the ancient Near-Eastern manuscripts specialist that Hanna reads at the archives in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What notations does Hanna make during her inspection of the Sarajevo Haggadah? What samples does she take?
2. Who are Serif and Stela Kamal and how does Lola know them?
3. Why has Hanna come to Sarajevo in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”? Who accompanies her? What is Hanna's objective in this chapter?
4. What information does Frau Zweig relate about Mittl in "Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996"?
5. How is the setting of Vienna described in Part V of “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”? Why does Hanna go there?
6. What theory does Dr. Heinrich present regarding the binding on the Sarajevo Haggadah?
7. What causes Hanna the guilt that she feels regarding Ozren in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996"?
8. How is the setting of Sarajevo described in 1996 in the novel? How is Bosnia's recent history described?
9. Where does Lola go in Sarajevo when she returns in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940”? Who does she meet there and how does this character help Lola?
10. Who is Werner Heinrich and what is his relationship to Hanna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot structure of People of the Book. Where in the novel are the explosion, rising action, and climax? Where are the falling action and denouement? How traditionally structured is the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Zahra in the novel. When did Zahra become a slave? Who are the different owners of Zahra? How are they described? What inspires Zahra to create the Sarajevo Haggadah?
Essay Topic 3
Who does Hanna discover her father to be in the course of the novel? How does Hanna respond to this discovery? In what ways are Hanna's discoveries about her father similar to those about the Haggadah? What symbolism surrounds Hanna's father?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)